SFA / Lamar Part 2

43,034 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfaguy
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RedRiverLa said:

"Life is short, God healed my wife's breast cancer this year. I am not going to let our point guard's field goal percentage affect my love for the Jacks. We have enough "wait to see if they make the dance" fans. Let's not be like them. We have a coach who cares about our players and know how to make them better. He treats our fans, the media and our players with more respect than they deserve. Sometimes it just doesn't happen the way we plan. "

Same for my wife, too! This post just about nails it for me. I'm looking forward to being there Wednesday night, cheering them on - if I'm the only one up yelling and fist pumping in my section, so be it. My dad and I are driving from Shreveport to come enjoy the environs, have some BBQ and throw-up some axes (probably shouldn't have used the word throw-up one conjunction away from the word BBQ). I will wear too much purple and stay until the alma mater is sung, I don't care how late it makes the drive back. I hope we win, but if not and we lay another disappointing egg and we leave 23-7, oh well, I won't need a chill pill to get over it. And, I'll probably be a little sad that I will have to wait until late fall of this year to experience these environs again. AxeEm Jacks!
Same experience with my wife! AxeEm!
BigJack85
Emotions are high because "WE" the people on this forum give a sh!7'. Unlike most SFA grads and all the SLC schools. We (Sawmill Patrons) are the ones that have genuine interest. So, nothing that is said on this board with the exception of complete vulgarity is of any harm to the cause of university pride. For the people that think we are weak fans go over to Bearkatfans. Talk about a gigantic snooze fest. Or if you really want some real slow reading go over to the Lamar "Big Red" forum. I bet they have 10 posts a week. That's weak. SFA has 10x the quality of ANY fans in the SLC. We should be proud that we have a little "noise" on the board!!!!! It's a good thing. Shows interest ... AXE 'EM JACKS
nacluth
Completely agree BigJack! These are good problems: a fan base that cares with expectations that we wouldn't believe we could have a decade ago.
SFAELITE
The reason I'm so critical about Keller is because I want SFA to remain relevant in the basketball world. I think the athletic department needs to have high goals for every basketball coach that coaches at SFA and hold them to it, if they don't work out then just let them go. I was okay with missing the tournament last year as long as we could make it back this year, so we will see if we make it. I think the quality of students that SFA requires a lot of success in order to get them out. We aren't A&M or Texas where they have these traditions and brain wash them into just absolutely loving the mess out of their school and they support no matter what (Granted that's how it should be at every school). I know ya'll probably know some guys ya'll went to school with that failed out the first year and never came back, just wasn't involved in anything, or kind of just went where the wind blew them, those kids are going to be hard to reach. A&M and and the big schools have those kids but they also have a bigger population of students to pull from. That's why we need to dominate the SLC, its the SLC right. Underwood brought an expectation that should be held as a measuring stick, we need to win the SLC, win the SLC tournament, then make the NCAA tournament. I just want the NCAA tournament appearances. Do that consistently for 10 years, you're going to have that gym packed with the fans you want. We are at the point where if we keep losing more than 2 games, not winning the SLC, and not winning the SLC tournament, the fans are slowing going to diminish year after year. If holding people to the Underwood standard is 'unrealistic', than maybe I'm too critical towards my school because its definitely doable. I don't want to lose the brand recognition or the fans. I'm honestly okay with being a stepping stone for coaches that come coach for 3 years, kill it, make NCAA tournament appearances/wins and then leave for a promotion. At least we will have some great coaches coming through, granted its hard to figure out who the next big coach will be.
nacluth
Good post SFAELITE. I think it is reasonable to have high expectations for the team and university, and we do need to capitalize on the success we've had. I think it's harder than you seem to portray getting another Underwood caliber coach. Just surveying the basketball landscape, I don't see anyone anywhere having the success he found in his three years here. But I do hope we keep trying to find good coaches that propel our program higher. We've tasted success, and we don't want to lose it.

Of course, I think we've been having a successful season, and I'm still optimistic about our chances making the NCAA's. I still think patience can be used when evaluating coaches, and growth from year to year is a good measuring stick. I would say regardless of what happens next, this has been a better year than last. I'm not happy we lost some critical conference games, but our team has succeeded over how they played last year. I think we still have some ball left in us. Next year seems like a peak year for our squad. I will expect more from them.

Again, thanks for your well stated post.
SfaFan15
BigJack85 said:

Emotions are high because "WE" the people on this forum give a sh!7'. Unlike most SFA grads and all the SLC schools. We (Sawmill Patrons) are the ones that have genuine interest. So, nothing that is said on this board with the exception of complete vulgarity is of any harm to the cause of university pride. For the people that think we are weak fans go over to Bearkatfans. Talk about a gigantic snooze fest. Or if you really want some real slow reading go over to the Lamar "Big Red" forum. I bet they have 10 posts a week. That's weak. SFA has 10x the quality of ANY fans in the SLC. We should be proud that we have a little "noise" on the board!!!!! It's a good thing. Shows interest ... AXE 'EM JACKS
I think this nails it for me. Passionate fans can get upset/emotional too because they care.
BigJack85
SFAELITE said:

The reason I'm so critical about Keller is because I want SFA to remain relevant in the basketball world. I think the athletic department needs to have high goals for every basketball coach that coaches at SFA and hold them to it, if they don't work out then just let them go. I was okay with missing the tournament last year as long as we could make it back this year, so we will see if we make it. I think the quality of students that SFA requires a lot of success in order to get them out. We aren't A&M or Texas where they have these traditions and brain wash them into just absolutely loving the mess out of their school and they support no matter what (Granted that's how it should be at every school). I know ya'll probably know some guys ya'll went to school with that failed out the first year and never came back, just wasn't involved in anything, or kind of just went where the wind blew them, those kids are going to be hard to reach. A&M and and the big schools have those kids but they also have a bigger population of students to pull from. That's why we need to dominate the SLC, its the SLC right. Underwood brought an expectation that should be held as a measuring stick, we need to win the SLC, win the SLC tournament, then make the NCAA tournament. I just want the NCAA tournament appearances. Do that consistently for 10 years, you're going to have that gym packed with the fans you want. We are at the point where if we keep losing more than 2 games, not winning the SLC, and not winning the SLC tournament, the fans are slowing going to diminish year after year. If holding people to the Underwood standard is 'unrealistic', than maybe I'm too critical towards my school because its definitely doable. I don't want to lose the brand recognition or the fans. I'm honestly okay with being a stepping stone for coaches that come coach for 3 years, kill it, make NCAA tournament appearances/wins and then leave for a promotion. At least we will have some great coaches coming through, granted its hard to figure out who the next big coach will be.

Great post.
sfaguy
SFAELITE said:

This is a good post. I wish you'd write more thoughtful opinions like this and less of the mocking BS that defined this cluster of a thread on Saturday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.