SFA / Lamar Part 2

43,064 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfaguy
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i have no confidence in this team to win the southland tournament. You could just tell by the teams demeanor that we were going lose with 15 minutes left. Second cram the coliseum we have lost.
SFAELITE
I completely agree with your statement. Some people will say I'm anti-Keller, but I'm just neutral. He hasn't done anything to win me over. Losing to Lamar, like come on right? Just be ready the admins are going to come in defending him. Just simple mistakes, we shouldn't miss as many free throws, our passing is just horrible (which results in turnovers), and our defense isn't as stout as it used to be.
SFAELITE
Overall, our fundamentals are horrible. To me, that's a coach issue.
TallTexan
I thought we did pretty well on the defensive side of the ball tonight, they ran with the same D and did it well, but I think we got enough takeaways to win the game if the shots fell.

Without our regular PGs though, our offense didn't flow and we couldn't get on runs. Plus, bad passing cost us enough points to hurt us.
SFAXE93
Wow, that's a double sweep, men and women 0-4 to Lamar. What an accomplishment.
BigJack85
SFAELITE said:

I tend to agree. A lot of the problem is the style of game Keller plays. It REQUIRES that we get good match ups. If we don't we have to shoot mid to upper 40's. We don't do that consistently. I found a analytics website that really explains our deficiencies. Haslametrics. At any rate the key is this.... our defensive efficiency is not near what it has been and while our offense is good it's not great.
MasterAxe
Obviously, if we play them again, they'll use the strategy...dare the PG to beat them.

I wonder if there is a lineup out there with someone else at PG that would be more effective.

How about this:

PG- Harris
SG - Bogues
SF - Ty
PF - Leon
C - TJ

Let's face it, AA & John shooting is exactly what they want...and Ivan can't drive or defend well enough against their guards.

And, hate to be a buzzkill, but we're only 5-4 against the other teams, that right now, would make the SLC tourney.

SFAELITE
BigJack85 said:

SFAELITE said:

I tend to agree. A lot of the problem is the style of game Keller plays. It REQUIRES that we get good match ups. If we don't we have to shoot mid to upper 40's. We don't do that consistently. I found a analytics website that really explains our deficiencies. Haslametrics. At any rate the key is this.... our defensive efficiency is not near what it has been and while our offense is good it's not great.
I think Keller coaches more of a I want my talent to beat other teams, not my coaching. To me, Underwood was motivating because he came from the bottom. He lit a fire, gave them heart, battled every game and never counted themselves out. This team, the Keller era, just tries to throw up lots of threes (when they go in, its nice) but our team does not MOVE WITH OUT THE BALL. I'm not a coach but when I played, coach made sure we constantly move with out the ball. Underwood was great at running baselines and passing like 10 times to find the open man.
sfa17
on paper we should be the best team in the conference but somehow we are not. idk how that is possible. This is Southland not the big 12. Ranked like #30 out 32 by conference. It's like we start the season with BIG HOPE and it shrinks as the season goes on.
1)we are going 18-0
2)we are going 16-2
3)we are going to win the conference title
4)the conference title race is going to be close,
5)lets just win the conference tournament.

I'm technical expert when it comes to basketball. so i cant diagnose the problem. i just support the jacks. I will leave the X n Os to you guys. But there is a problem
SFAELITE
sfa17 said:

on paper we should be the best team in the conference but somehow we are not. idk how that is possible. This is Southland not the big 12. Ranked like #30 out 32 by conference. It's like we start the season with BIG HOPE and it shrinks as the season goes on.
1)we are going 18-0
2)we are going 16-2
3)we are going to win the conference title
4)the conference title race is going to be close,
5)lets just win the conference tournament.
Ohh for sure. Missing this double bye in the SLC Tourney, its going to hurt. Lets see if we end up play lamar our first round of play! That'll be a great tournament match up right? LOL
INiedrauer
Staff
I have lots of thoughts that I'll save but I did want to mention the moving without the ball item. This isn't a motion offense, it's relies on ball screens. Different philosophy, not necessarily better or worse. Just did a lot of things poorly tonight and never got into any kind of rhythm.
sfa17
wining 3 or 4 games back to back will be a tough ask.
MasterAxe
Tic Price has us figured out.

Collapse the paint. Make the PG score.
Dribble drive & dish. Make SFA try and guard the guards driving. Slow the game down.

He's done it to perfection...twice.
SFAELITE
INiedrauer said:

I have lots of thoughts that I'll save but I did want to mention the moving without the ball item. This isn't a motion offense, it's relies on ball screens. Different philosophy, not necessarily better or worse. Just did a lot of things poorly tonight and never got into any kind of rhythm.
I still think moving without the ball in a "ball screen offense" is still necessary... if you're not involved with the screening or the ball handler, you should be moving to keep that defense guessing where you're at/going. standing still just helps the defense. Hey that's just my opinion.
MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

One game sample...tonight it was worse
SFAELITE
MasterAxe said:

Tic Price has us figured out.

Collapse the paint. Make the PG score.
Dribble drive & dish. Make SFA try and guard the guards driving. Slow the game down.

He's done it to perfection...twice.
Agreed, I mean he held us to how many points in the first half? 26??? like absolutely terrible....
SFAELITE
I could of sworn Nieminen played like 3 minutes and had 3 fouls... Sit him the whole game please.... Actually don't play Bain and JOVAN either. 0 mins.
BigJack85
We collectively need to face it. Without Underwood, Pinkney and Walkup we are just another mid major striving to "MAKE" the tournament. Forget about us making noice in the tournament.... we don't look like a team that can even win the conference tournament.
nacluth
Got to say, Lamar has a strategy and they stick with it - even when it's not paying off for a little while.

1). They played consistently long possessions with very few passes. It was rare for them to have more than three passes in a set.

2.) They played almost completely inside the circle defensively. They made sure they had three guys under the basket at every shot.

3.) They shot consistently low percentage looks...and made them. We shot more high percentage looks and missed.

I felt like we were too amped the first half, but then we just couldn't catch any rhythm in the second. Comeaux was shooting, but couldn't connect. I don't know why Aaron kept getting pulled, but he's a much more legitimate threat at range right now. Canete is slow at point and doesn't see the field. I felt like our game plan was solid in the first if we would connect (looking at you Ty), and in the second I felt Keller was over adjusting line ups.

Disappointing. High likelihood we see them again in Katy unfortunately. We will have to trust our shot more. Sad night all around at WRJ. Two left.
BigJack85
SFAELITE said:

I could of sworn Nieminen played like 3 minutes and had 3 fouls... Sit him the whole game please.... Actually don't play Bain and JOVAN either. 0 mins.

I think Bain should play. It's time for Keller to realize he can't win it on talent. We have to execute on a scheme flawlessly.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

Got to say, Lamar has a strategy and they stick with it - even when it's not paying off for a little while.

1). They played consistently long possessions with very few passes. It was rare for them to have more than three passes in a set.

2.) They played almost completely inside the circle defensively. They made sure they had three guys under the basket at every shot.

3.) They shot consistently low percentage looks...and made them. We shot more high percentage looks and missed.

I felt like we were too amped the first half, but then we just couldn't catch any rhythm in the second. Comeaux was shooting, but couldn't connect. I don't know why Aaron kept getting pulled, but he's a much more legitimate threat at range right now. Canete is slow at point and doesn't see the field. I felt like our game plan was solid in the first if we would connect (looking at you Ty), and in the second I felt Keller was over adjusting line ups.

Disappointing. High likelihood we see them again in Katy unfortunately. We will have to trust our shot more. Sad night all around at WRJ. Two left.

I think you nailed it. They kinda bullied us into a Dannyball game and we fell for it.

The thing that concerns me is that this is twice they have done it... and we have no answer
SFAELITE
nacluth said:

I hate the "Our shots just didn't fall". The coach needs to make calls and direct them what they should do then. I know Steph Curry will shoot a three all game, even when he hasn't made one, but come one, no one is on that level. Draw up plays get us easy buckets (build momentum), drive and draw fouls (get them in foul trouble because we can't make free throws), there are other tactics to the game than shooting... I believe you should be able to lean your defense until the coach can figure something out. Well we don't have that so its difficult to try to consistently climb out of a hole.
nacluth
Yep. I hear ya. Very disappointing. I thought it was the early shooting difference that really set the tone. Bogues coming out cold hurt bad. One bucket by him in the first 10 minutes of the game could have changed the game. Then Ivan didn't even look at him after he hit his three.

If we play them again, Keller has to break Lamar's will.
Gazette1
The season just came crashing down just like it did last year. We got outplayed and out coached. We will now be fortunate to get a four seed. I'm so disappointed. Our fans will start to dwindle next year at this rate. A terrible loss. Too many players that were trying to do too much by themselves. Lamar made every possession count and were very patient. I had that sick feeling after the first five minutes of the game.

BigJack85
nacluth said:

Yep. I hear ya. Very disappointing. I thought it was the early shooting difference that really set the tone. Bogues coming out cold hurt bad. One bucket by him in the first 10 minutes of the game could have changed the game. Then Ivan didn't even look at him after he hit his three.

That's the issue... Keller doesn't run a high pressure pace. Sure we move fast but many teAms adjust. Underwood forced others teams to adapt to us. Keller can do that but only against the lower tier. Even Florida A&M gave us trouble.
SFAELITE
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

That's the issue... Keller doesn't run a high pressure pace. Sure we move fast but many teAms adjust. Underwood forced others teams to adapt to us. Keller can do that but only against the lower tier. Even Florida A&M gave us trouble.
YES!!!!
nacluth
SFAELITE said:

I hate the "Our shots just didn't fall". The coach needs to make calls and direct them what they should do then. I know Steph Curry will shoot a three all game, even when he hasn't made one, but come one, no one is on that level. Draw up plays get us easy buckets (build momentum), drive and draw fouls (get them in foul trouble because we can't make free throws), there are other tactics to the game than shooting... I believe you should be able to lean your defense until the coach can figure something out. Well we don't have that so its difficult to try to consistently climb out of a hole.
I thought we actually did all this. When we got behind in the first, we drove into them and got fouled. We missed 5 ft's in the first that could have helped to pace us. We kept hammering in to the interior for high percentage looks and got a lot of them, but Ty had three blown lay-ups, Kevon two. Our game plan had the stuff from my vantage in the first. Second half, I put on Keller. He kept changing to awkward lineups that I felt played to them instead of to us. We needed a better performance from team and staff.
nacluth
#1 difference between non-con play and conference play has been Kevon. Kevon was playing like Walkup early in the year and has struggled in the back half. Somewhere he lost his swagger. If anyone sees it please return, and I will pay the reward. I don't know if it's the injury, but something happened even before that, but the man needs a mojo boost.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

SFAELITE said:

I thought we actually did all this. When we got behind in the first, we drove into them and got fouled. We missed 5 ft's in the first that could have helped to pace us. We kept hammering in to the interior for high percentage looks and got a lot of them, but Ty had three blown lay-ups, Kevon two. Our game plan had the stuff from my vantage in the first. Second half, I put on Keller. He kept changing to awkward lineups that I felt played to them instead of to us. We needed a better performance from team and staff.

I think your statement about the 2nd half lineup issues is 100% right. It's also what worries me. Keller looked like he was panicking with those changes...and he better figure it out, cause if we play them again, they're gonna use the same strategy, and unless Marcus Clark walks through that door to play PG, we're gonna find ourselves in the same situation, cause we aren't getting any different players.
RedRiverLa
Dang, I miss one game and this happens? It's my fault. Time to step up like a man and admit it. I'm sorry.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAXE93
Dang you RedRiver, I knew their was a logical explanation for all of this.
BigJack85
This is my redeeming thought of the night. Keller (prior to tonight) had won 5 in a row. If he can do that again (beginning Wednesday) I'm good.
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

This is my redeeming thought of the night. Keller (prior to tonight) had won 5 in a row. If he can do that again (beginning Wednesday) I'm good.

Unless we play Lamar... who we seem to have no answer for
tangerito
Unfortunately for the seniors, this game will cause many to stay home Wednesday night. There's really nothing to play for now as we will make the tournament and then the games mean something. Trust me, I've been a fan a long time and this game will keep people away Wednesday.
SFAELITE
BigJack85 said:

If the season follows the pattern since the beginning of SLC play, it looks like we will win two then lose one. That one being in the SLC tourney, unfortunately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.