Attendance/Opponents

31,089 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You could, but my guess is they are trying to counterprogram their games against the bigger conferences. They want the ESPN3 views on a slow night.
sfa17
Friday , Saturday non conference games would help. Or at least facing our best competition on the weekends. For example La Tech in Wrj on a Saturday. We could get more mid major home and home. Schools UT Arlington (109), MTSU(33) , Murray state(77) Mid major teams that will probably have a top 100 rpi by end of year. There are so many good mid major teams and match ups
No-look
nacluth said:

You could, but my guess is they are trying to counterprogram their games against the bigger conferences. They want the ESPN3 views on a slow night.
I'm a big highschool basketball fan and lot of the games are on Tuesday. Most all district games are Tuesday and Friday.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Though I know from Reddit that OKST fans apparently really want a Home Home with us.
In tonight's NIT game (no less), Okie State has filled up their gym.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'm curious what our ESPN3 numbers look like. Are those available somewhere?
TallTexan

Official numbers are in.
Ballwatch
sfa17 said:

As a recent Sfa Grad(2017) I think there are several factors effecting student attendance. all the points that SFA_03 states are correct. We have too many student that rather be at Texas A &M then SFA. I think those students are lost causes. But also a lot of the students are also unaware of the games. We have been having this discussion for years and I think there is not a lot we can do to improve the # anymore (sfa athletics marketing department is doing great) It will just take time, continued success and Organic growth. We can't give away cars at every game to get students.

But we cant blame only the students. We need more nac residents. Sfa mbb should be treated like a NBA team. Not just for sfa grad but locals who never attended sfa.

Speaking from personal experience, I for one, am not a Nac resident, nor did I graduate from SFA. Know plenty who did. But I was hooked after watching SFA beat VCU a few years ago. I live close enough that my family and I can attend several games a year. And we did just that this year, the experience is just fun; we really enjoy ourselves. You can't beat the price. Had a family member and co worker attend, and they both said the same thing - they both were just amazed at the atmosphere and how great the games are when there's a packed house. Anytime I can, I spread the word. It's unfortunate that we don't get more Nac or surrounding residents. That's who I think should be targeted. There's a huge gap between the die hard sfa fans and the casual fan. To get more bodies in the seats, the games should l be marketed toward those in the middle of that spectrum.

I'll continue to do my part and tell everyone I know about the great games in our own backyard.
sfa17
that is awesome, Ballwatch. Every Little bit counts. I think we will get there but it might take a few more years. Moving in the right direction but it is a uphill battle.
No-look
I live in Huntington and know of several from the town that come regularly to the home games.
TallTexan
It really is great entertainment when I can make it into town. I'll probably move back one day and look forward to being able to catch the games. The atmosphere is great.

Thanks for supporting the team Ballwatch!
BigJack85
I'm in the minority but I think attendance is about as good as it will get given the quality of competition we can get into WRJ. The numbers frankly speak for themselves.... 3X our closest competition and 5X-6X the rest of the conference. As a contrarian I think some facility updates would help our image and attendance. WRJ is fine inside but the outside looks old and lacks any architectural pizzazz.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'm in the minority but I think attendance is about as good as it will get given the quality of competition we can get into WRJ. The numbers frankly speak for themselves.... 3X our closest competition and 5X-6X the rest of the conference. As a contrarian I think some facility updates would help our image and attendance. WRJ is fine inside but the outside looks old and lacks any architectural pizzazz.
I think our top is probably around 4500 avg per season for the men. We're at 3900 now, we'd simply have to pull a couple hundred more community members & students per game to really reach that mark.

I think 4500 average per season in our conference and selling out a game or two that isn't cram the coliseum or the Sam game would be great success for our program.

And I totally agree, let's update the facade of WRJ. A facelift would make it look awesome to go with the renovations inside. The outside looks like it could be a soviet era storage building. We have any architects or design guys on here who'd like to take a crack at it just for fun?
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

The outside looks like it could be a soviet era storage building. We have any architects or design guys on here who'd like to take a crack at it just for fun?
For the record, here's what I'd do, although I don't have the 3D rendering skills, so you'll have to use your imagination. First, I'd level out the ramp that runs down to East college and put a few wheel chair ramps/steps closer to the road so that you've created a plaza in front of WRJ. On the Plaza I'd put a statue of Walkup, Silas, & one of the great women players from our past. A cool brick/mosaic design would be great for this area as well.

Then, for the front of the building I'd pull off the large brown trim that encircles the building. For the general shape, I'd add a slight curve to the top of the roof to give it a semi oval shape & make it more prominent with a grand entrance and more windows up front. Think American Airlines center, but on a bit smaller scale for the front. For the "theme", I'd go with an industrial modern type look, with huge expanses of metal sheets to make up the new front. This would give it a new feel, while giving it an industrial look, because our team is blue collar to the core.

Now I only wish I could draw this out, because it'd be much easier to visualize.

BigJack85
Tall. Put Purpleout on the visuals and we'll have the F'ing best coliseum ever....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I wish I could do it justice, but that would take the guys who work up the before and after design graphics for Fixer Upper, and they're probably pretty busy.
SFASawmillGuy
Who did the 3D design of the hypothetical new football stadium a few years ago? Lets still build that and also have that person design WRJ 2.

I would say we could call it the Walkup Dome but another school with Lumberjacks as the mascot already stole that...
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

The outside looks like it could be a soviet era storage building.
IDK, I've always been a fan of soviet era storage buildings....
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Who did the 3D design of the hypothetical new football stadium a few years ago? Lets still build that and also have that person design WRJ 2.

I would say we could call it the Walkup Dome but another school with Lumberjacks as the mascot already stole that...
Those scoundrels up in the mountains stole our best player's name?

And do you have a link to the 3D design of said hypothetical football stadium?
TallTexan
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Rocky didn't go to Russia and nearly die to beat Drago so that you can like soviet architecture Ed.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

It was on the old LJF forums. I don't think they were archived.
SfaTke596
Good feedback from everyone.

Here are a few things that I think would help- keep in mind that my point of view is from someone who catches most games on ESPN 3 and only makes it to 2 games per year in Nac. Also, most of these ideas have been discussed in some sort of way in these forums.

Marketing:
The university has done a great job with growing the online/social media platforms. I like the graphics and they do a good job with providing content and keeping it fresh.
We need to continue growing in that space.
What is the best form of advertising in the Nacogdoches/Lufkin market ? Local TV adv spots? Radio? We need to target Lufkin and other local markets just as much as Nacogdoches (target the surrounding 30-40 mile radius). Population for Nacogdoches county 65k and Angelina county 90k.
We need to funnel more of the local community to our social media/online platforms. Ultimately these platforms will be the cheapest and most effective way to communicate with the local community.
The easiest way to sell a product is sell the story behind it. The people need to feel connected to the team. We need to sell SFA basketball to the surrounding area. Blue collar effort will not be hard to sell in our local communities. I would target the largest employers, churches, community programs and large congregations of people. We need to be invite them to an "open house" let them come in to WRJ and bring their families for a shoot around. Have some of the guys play and interact with the guest. It would be cool if we can put on a dunk show for local community (I would have a few session to give it a feel of exclusivity). Also, I would have some of the guys go out to the place of work/ church often to invite them to the games and just build a relationship (this will take more than one visit a year... more like one visit a month). This will take time and effort but it's a must if you aske me.
I would take the same approach with the students. Target the larger organizations and make them feel part of the team. As a forum we know so much about our players... when they are sick, they get in trouble, where they grew up.... we are vested in the program. The students need know these players so they can feel vested. I would have Keller go out to these organizations and present them with a uniform! The uniform would be SFA purple shirts. If we sell it the right way- this shirt would not be just any shirt but a uniform. "Every time you put on this shirt on game days you are no longer just another fan but you are a part of the team. And as a team member you are expected to be loud, sit together....."
We need them to sit together!!! We should think about letting the student section come in a side door together and make an entrance or something where we can heard them into on section of WRJ.

Theses are low cost solutions that can make an impact.

We r going to have to live with our schedule, but if we can put on a great atmosphere people should show up even if we r playing a D2 team.
SFASawmillGuy
SfaTke596 said:

Population for Nacogdoches county 65k and Angelina county 90k.

So what you're saying is that we need to expand Homer Bryce Stadium's seating capacity to at least 90K and WRJ to at least 20K.

Lets do it.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

That was me. I think I had them in an old Photobucket account, which apparently I can't log in to and can't reset my password for, so...
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

That was me. I think I had them in an old Photobucket account, which apparently I can't log in to and can't reset my password for, so...
The dreams dies in this thread then.
TallTexan
I even tried the Internet Wayback Machine, no dice.
PurpleOut
Staff

TallTexan
You are a hero. And did you make those? Those a pretty freaking awesome.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

That. Build that. And sell beer in it.
SFASawmillGuy
What is the capacity of that hypothetical stadium?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Rocky didn't go to Russia and nearly die to beat Drago so that you can like soviet architecture Ed.
Uh, Texan, allow me explain something to you. That was actually a scene from a... Oh, never mind......
SFA Jack Fanatic
SfaTke596 said:

I would take the same approach with the students. Target the larger organizations and make them feel part of the team. As a forum we know so much about our players... when they are sick, they get in trouble, where they grew up.... we are vested in the program. The students need know these players so they can feel vested. I would have Keller go out to these organizations and present them with a uniform! The uniform would be SFA purple shirts. If we sell it the right way- this shirt would not be just any shirt but a uniform. "Every time you put on this shirt on game days you are no longer just another fan but you are a part of the team. And as a team member you are expected to be loud, sit together....."

Those are some great ideas, 596. I especially like your idea about strong relationships with the student organizations. I don't know if any of the ideas are already being done, though. I hope they are. If they're not, then perhaps Isaac can slip a note under Coach K's and the AD's office doors detailing your suggestions.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

SfaTke596 said:

Those are some great ideas, 596. I especially like your idea about strong relationships with the student organizations. I don't know if any of the ideas are already being done, though. I hope they are. If they're not, then perhaps Isaac can slip a note under Coach K's and the AD's office doors detailing your suggestions.
I'm not suggesting advice is always considered - let's be honest, half this board wanted a new basketball coach after losing to Lamar - but people who matter definitely read these forums. I know the feedback and ideas, good and bad, are valued by decision makers at SFA.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

edstile said:

SfaTke596 said:

I'm not suggesting advice is always considered - let's be honest, half this board wanted a new basketball coach after losing to Lamar - but people who matter definitely read these forums. I know the feedback and ideas, good and bad, are valued by decision makers at SFA.
We need a rec button for "administrators should definitely read". Maybe it could highlight those posts in purple for them.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

nacluth
PurpleOut said:

SFA_03 said:

Just set aside a luxury box for Sawmill Premium members and I'll shop the architectural firms.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.