Attendance/Opponents

30,984 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HOME ATTENDANCE

GAME 1 (3,127)
GAME 2 (2,642)
GAME 3 (1,881)
GAME 4 (1,691)
GAME 5 (4,398)
GAME 6 (3,941)

OPPONENTS

W @LONGWOOD 3-8
W ST. EDWARD'S 10-2 (Defeated #20 Texas A&M Kingsville who was 7-0)
W LETOURNEAU 7-2
W HOWARD PAYNE 4-5
L @MISSISSIPPI STATE 8-1
W FLORIDA A&M 2-8
W NORTH DAKOTA STATE 3-4
W LOUISIANA-MONROE 3-4
@LOUISIANA TECH 6-1
RICE 2-6
@LSU 4-2
@MISSOURI 6-2
ARLINGTON BAPTIST (unknown)

nacluth
Games 3&4 were over Thanksgiving holidays. We're going to start to average over 4,000 a game soon. By the end of the season, we'll be bringing in 5,000+.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
I agree with Nac Luth if... we continue to look solid and keep winning. I realize the next four will be challenging. Rice not as difficult but they could be tough. If we could grab 2 of the 4 upcoming and go 10-3 non conference we'll be in good shape. This team looks better than the 12-6 conference record from last year. 15-3 maybe. 16-2?? Anyone feather a guess.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I agree with Nac Luth if... we continue to look solid and keep winning. I realize the next four will be challenging. Rice not as difficult but they could be tough. If we could grab 2 of the 4 upcoming and go 10-3 non conference we'll be in good shape. This team looks better than the 12-6 conference record from last year. 15-3 maybe. 16-2?? Anyone feather a guess.

I'd guess 15-3, a split with Lamar, one loss against a decent team and one inexplicable loss.

But hopefully we can put together a good SLC Tourney run with our talent & experience.
SFASawmillGuy
15-3= 16 seed.
16-2= 16 seed.
17-1= most likely 16 seed.
sfa17
SFA_03 said:

15-3= 16 seed.
16-2= 16 seed.
17-1= most likely 16 seed.
Lol 17-1 is not a 16 seed. We got a 12 seed against Utah with a 17-1 record. The only reason we got a a 14 seed at 18-0 with walkup is bc we had a lot bad non conference losses.

So far we have no bad losses. Plus the top of southland looks a little better then previous years.
nacluth
Quote:

17-1 is not a 16 seed. We got a 12 seed against Utah with a 17-1 record. The only reason we got a a 14 seed at 18-0 with walkup is bc we had a lot bad non conference losses.
Exactly. It kinda depends on how some other midmajor conferences do, but 15+ wins in conference play is more than likely ending us up in a 14 seed or higher depending on no collapse in the next 5 games. Our seeding won't be hurt that much if our only nonconference losses are SEC teams or La Tech - especially if all or 3 are tournament teams.

Ok 3 SLC losses may drop us to 15, but wire to wire leaders of the SLC is not getting a 16 seed. New Orleans did last year because they had tons of bad losses. If somehow we had made it last year, we would be the 16. Not this year, at least not with how this team is rolling so far. Sneak a La Tech win and a SEC win with a conference sweep, 12 is a lock.

Oh and I think 17-1 is our conference record. And I'm going with Matt's lock against Missouri.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
Mississippi State blew a 20+ point lead to Dayton and still managed to win on a buzzer beater just now. Wow.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

sfa17
Sfa just sent out emails to students about MBB atmosphere . It was a survey about what the school can do to increase attendance and excitement about MBB. Obviously the school is trying to capitalize on big win.

"We are constantly striving to make the game day atmosphere at men's basketball games as appealing as possible to students. To that end, we have partnered with the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators (NACMA) on a data collection effort to learn more about student preferences at games. We'd love to hear from you.

The link below will take you to a brief 5-minute survey. Upon beginning, you will be presented with EIGHT scenarios (one per page) regarding a hypothetical men's basketball game at your school. For each scenario, please indicate how likely you would be to attend that home men's basketball game at your school.

After you have responded to all eight scenarios, there will be some additional questions so that we may learn more about you, your basketball fandom, your men's basketball attendance habits, and your stadium experience.

We really appreciate your time. Your feedback will allow us to provide the optimal experience for you on game days in the future. "
nacluth
Wow. Nice to see the university being so proactive.
SFASawmillGuy
I wonder how many people are actually gonna do it.
SfaTke596
I know there has been some brainstorming for a few years on getting more students, not only to attend but to participate, in a rowdy student section- have we tried bringing in a DJ, diming the lights during the game (to set the mood) or allowing students to tailgate before big games?
Also, it would be cool to set up a school charter bus to transport students to away games that are played nearby. Ex LaTech. (I understand it's a hard sell: If we can't get them to attend a home game how can we expect them to travel).

It really is frustrating to see the students not jumping on this bandwagon as fast as I would expect....my expectations of a near sell out every game might be too much....
PurpleOut
Staff
SfaTke596 said:

I know there has been some brainstorming for a few years on getting more students, not only to attend but to participate, in a rowdy student section- have we tried bringing in a DJ, diming the lights during the game (to set the mood) or allowing students to tailgate before big games?
Also, it would be cool to set up a school charter bus to transport students to away games that are played nearby. Ex LaTech. (I understand it's a hard sell: If we can't get them to attend a home game how can we expect them to travel).

It really is frustrating to see the students not jumping on this bandwagon as fast as I would expect....my expectations of a near sell out every game might be too much....
All ideas I've tried to bring up on all platforms. They think they have a DJ right now by having someone sitting at the scorers table with a laptop playing random stuff. It's better than it was a few years ago, but it's not an actual DJ. There are plenty of students that they could hire that are more familiar with current music. Which is the point. Give them a booth in the corner between the PHA and band.

Opening up tailgating (what we back in the day had called Lumberjack Alley for you newer students) would be fantastic. Or at least have more organized tailgates like they did once last year next to the Coliseum. The sad part is they (the university) seem to basically frown upon tailgating for hoops games. Can't remember if it was on this board or on the old LJF forum, but I went into detail with my experiences. To the extent that UPD detained my friends and I in the parking lot for almost 2 hours a few years ago. Just after the game having a celebratory drink behind the car. Years before they made us poor drinks out and told us to leave, before the game started. Sorry I can rant on this for a long time so I'll stop for now.

I hope the survey is successful and that students participate. Can you post what the actual scenarios are? I'm afraid they are "what do you want to see" questions, where the majority of our students don't really know what a college basketball student section should actually be. We don't need any more "I show up only for free stuff" people.

SFASawmillGuy
When I was a student a common answer I heard when people were asked about attendance and why people wouldn't show up was because we couldn't get good opponents. Nobody cared who we were playing unless it was Sam Houston or to a much lesser extent NWST.
Even big time mid major games like UNI or NDSU don't count to them because they don't know those schools.
Obviously there are other issues but it seems like that's a pretty common one I've noticed, which is unfortunately one that isn't fixable.
sfa17
Scenario 1

• Student tickets to the game are expensive
  • Student seating is in the lower level with a good view of the court
  • The arena does not offer areas to socialize with friends away from your seats
  • The student section creates a great atmosphere at games
  • Food and drink options at the game are affordable
  • The Wi-Fi signal at the game is strong
  • Alcohol is not available for purchase at the game

• How likely would you be to attend this home men's basketball game at your school?
    1: Not Likely
    5: Neutral
    10: Very Likely
    And the next scenario would be along the same lines. Such as "student tickets to game are cheap or weak WIFI signal ... etc
    SFASawmillGuy
    Hmm. I wonder if that last one would mean the school would be willing to start selling alcohol at athletic events.
    PurpleOut
    Staff
    SFA_03 said:

Hmm. I wonder if that last one would mean the school would be willing to start selling alcohol at athletic events.
    BigJack85
    I hate to say this but my belief is that we are near the best that we can do given our current conference affiliation. Not that it was ever great or perfect but the watered down UIW, ACU etc hurts our attendance. We are already 3X our nearest competition in the SLC. Travel is such a huge component of the cost of being D1. I think in part that is why we are in this bottom dweller league. I know the options are limited, so I think we just have to maximize what we have.
    Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
    jboy93
    I think as long as we progress and stay good, our numbers will continue to go up. Staying good and putting a quality product on the floor will get bigger named schools to come to town. Nac does not have a tremendous amount of things to do so there should be no excuse for students not to come.
    When the Ladyjacks were going to Sweet 16's in the late 80's, they were drawing good crowds because it was a great product on the floor. As a student back then I went to every game I could. Even now I try to get to Nac as often as I can because I think we can be relevant in basketball...and I am talking about not just in the region or Texas. Students have to have pride in our university!
    TallTexan
    BigJack85 said:

I hate to say this but my belief is that we are near the best that we can do given our current conference affiliation. Not that it was ever great or perfect but the watered down UIW, ACU etc hurts our attendance. We are already 3X our nearest competition in the SLC. Travel is such a huge component of the cost of being D1. I think in part that is why we are in this bottom dweller league. I know the options are limited, so I think we just have to maximize what we have.

I put up an article in NCAA forum about the Sunbelt & ConferenceUSA. Apparently they're having issues with attendance as well, and are thinking about splitting into hyper regional focused leagues. Interesting read.
    SFASawmillGuy
    I shutter to think how some of you would've reacted if you were able to actively get drunk in Homer Bryce this season.
    SfaTke596
    Why doesn't the marketing department at SFA take on this "attendance issue" as some sort of project?

Let's get the hospitality department involved with the "game experience" side of things.

It would be beneficial for the students involved- gives them a real world experience.

I'm sure I'm just tossing out ideas that have been discussed before...
    TallTexan
    SfaTke596 said:

Why doesn't the marketing department at SFA take on this "attendance issue" as some sort of project?

Let's get the hospitality department involved with the "game experience" side of things.

It would be beneficial for the students involved- gives them a real world experience.

I'm sure I'm just tossing out ideas that have been discussed before...
    They'd have to admit that sports work as marketing for the university first.

Other than that though, it's an excellent idea to get students involved in making the university great. And they can put theory to practice.
    sfa17
    TallTexan said:

They'd have to admit that sports work as marketing for the university first.
    If they don't know that by now then there is no hope for them.
    PurpleOut
    Staff
    SFA_03 said:

I shutter to think how some of you would've reacted if you were able to actively get drunk in Homer Bryce this season.
    Wait.

People aren't getting drunk in Homer Bryce already?
    TallTexan
    Maybe it's because I just got back from a TSO concert, but I'm convinced that the solution to boosting our attendance & fan atmosphere is more pyro features & lasers.
    nacluth
    Maybe I need to get my eyes checked again. At least that's what I know TSO to be. I'm pretty familiar with ELO and BTO and even CSN, but I guess I'm out of date with TSO...but lasers always sound good to me.
    TallTexan
    nacluth said:

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked again. At least that's what I know TSO to be. I'm pretty familiar with ELO and BTO and even CSN, but I guess I'm out of date with TSO...but lasers always sound good to me.
    Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The most entertaining Christmas music.

Imagine this, but instead of a concert, it's Keller, Kevon & the gang. We could also get some seriously large pyro stuff for Homer Bryce.

SFA88
    TallTexan said:

Maybe it's because I just got back from a TSO concert, but I'm convinced that the solution to boosting our attendance & fan atmosphere is more pyro features & lasers.
    There are very few things that couldn't be made better with pyro features and lasers.
    SFAXE93
    USA Today Coaches Poll

Who cares about the Top 25, I just want to know who are the others who are receiving votes

• Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 74, Texas Tech 58, Virginia Tech 41, Texas 26, Louisville 25, Arkansas 21, Rhode Island 14, Minnesota 10, Syracuse 10, Mississippi State 10, Loyola-Chicago 9, Houston 8, Boise State 8, Middle Tennessee 7, Alabama 6, UCLA 4, Saint Mary's 4, Georgia 3, Georgetown 2, Missouri 2, Nevada 1, Stephen F. Austin 1
    TallTexan
    SFAXE93 said:

USA Today Coaches Poll

Who cares about the Top 25, I just want to know who are the others who are receiving votes

• Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 74, Texas Tech 58, Virginia Tech 41, Texas 26, Louisville 25, Arkansas 21, Rhode Island 14, Minnesota 10, Syracuse 10, Mississippi State 10, Loyola-Chicago 9, Houston 8, Boise State 8, Middle Tennessee 7, Alabama 6, UCLA 4, Saint Mary's 4, Georgia 3, Georgetown 2, Missouri 2, Nevada 1, Stephen F. Austin 1

When we beat LSU, I'll see if I can compile a voter thread with every voter on AP & USA today "coach" voter & see if we can tweet them into putting us on their ballot.
    SFAXE93
    W @LONGWOOD 3-8
    W ST. EDWARD'S 10-2 (Defeated #20 Texas A&M Kingsville who was 7-0)
    W LETOURNEAU 7-2
    W HOWARD PAYNE 4-5
    L @MISSISSIPPI STATE 8-1
    W FLORIDA A&M 2-12
    W NORTH DAKOTA STATE 5-5
    W LOUISIANA-MONROE 4-5
    W @LOUISIANA TECH 7-4
    W RICE 3-7
    W @LSU 6-3
    @MISSOURI 9-2
    ARLINGTON BAPTIST 6-4
    TallTexan
    Quote:

When we beat LSU, I'll see if I can compile a voter thread with every voter on AP & USA today "coach" voter & see if we can tweet them into putting us on their ballot.

Guess I should do this now.
    nacluth
    Just what I was thinking...
    Ryan
    Kinnaird Guitars
    SFASawmillGuy
    When we beat Missou can we get a first place vote?
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.