SFA / Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

42,881 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pilotgirl
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

MasterAxe said:

Food for thought:

Ryan Ivey owes nothing to Keller. He didn't hire him.

So, while I find it highly unlikely Keller does not return, the man making the choice maybe sees otherwise.
Well according to this thread, he would owe him half a million dollars. There is no way the BOR approves that on the chance we would have a more productive season faster. The only way Keller's gone is he chooses to or a scandal erupts. He's the coach next year.
Correct.

Oh, I'm 100% with y'all. My point was the folks that got Keller here, aren't here anymore. RIP Baker

Ivey and the new president may see things a whole lot different than Hill and Baker did.

It certainly doesn't help that the year immediately following a huge pledge to upgrade facilities is one of the worst years of SFA hoops.

jboy93
TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

TAMCC clearly kicked the ball OOB. What an obvious bad call.

They've replayed it 10 times on the video board.
It was funny but after they kept showing it on the board one of the JV refs went to the scorers table and told them to stop playing it!
Too funny!!!
Jacks4460
WHy isnt superstar Shannon tweeting out to Lumberjack fans?? What a joke maybe the kid will put a foot in his mouth because the team he "leads" isnt even going to make the SLC tourney... He is telling all the fans to sit back and watch come tourney time... Now what is he gonna do since they arent even going to qualify for the tourney?
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

To me it becomes a risk reward scenario. Do you spend the $$& to get out while measuring is the program at risk of real decline because of an increasing lack of confidence in its leader. I was with Danny during some of the tough years. You could see what he was doing and that despite losses the team was always in the game. Always. Having a bad year is NOT the entire issue ! It's the entire novela of egos that can't come together for the common good. Even walk ons have disconnected.
Big Jack we dont have the $$$ to let Keller go... We gotta roll with thim next year eventhough it will set the program back 2-3 years from returning to the top..
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

MasterAxe said:

Food for thought:

So, while I find it highly unlikely Keller does not return, the man making the choice maybe sees otherwise.
Well according to this thread, he would owe him half a million dollars. There is no way the BOR approves that on the chance we would have a more productive season faster. The only way Keller's gone is he chooses to or a scandal erupts. He's the coach next year.
Correct.

Oh, I'm 100% with y'all. My point was the folks that got Keller here, aren't here anymore. RIP Baker

Ivey and the new president may see things a whole lot different than Hill and Baker did.

It certainly doesn't help that the year immediately following a huge pledge to upgrade facilities is one of the worst years of SFA hoops.

If I read what little is out there regarding his contract we are obligated for closer to $400k at the end of this season. Regardless, that's a chunk of change. But when you consider the ton of money we are about to pump into this "once" marquee program it's chump change. I think Keller has lost the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happen.

1) Keller is shown the door - we pay him out according to the contract which would be monthly.
2) Wade Mason or Jeremy Cox are given the interim gig. Essentially allowed to audition for the job. If it looks like some changes are happening they give a 1 or 2 year deal to the interim,,,,, we (SFA) hope and pray that the ship "rights" itself.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

To me it becomes a risk reward scenario. Do you spend the $$& to get out while measuring is the program at risk of real decline because of an increasing lack of confidence in its leader. I was with Danny during some of the tough years. You could see what he was doing and that despite losses the team was always in the game. Always. Having a bad year is NOT the entire issue ! It's the entire novela of egos that can't come together for the common good. Even walk ons have disconnected.
Big Jack we dont have the $$$ to let Keller go... We gotta roll with thim next year eventhough it will set the program back 2-3 years from returning to the top..
4460, I agree. You are likely correct. I have another post that I think is a possible outcome. I doubt it comes to fruition but when you consider the resources we put into MBB it is surprising that we would fall so hard. Just stunning.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

4460, I agree. You are likely correct. I have another post that I think is a possible outcome. I doubt it comes to fruition but when you consider the resources we put into MBB it is surprising that we would fall so hard. Just stunning.
When you have a TOXIC lockeroom those falls happen... Bigjack85 there is way more to this story I am afraid..I know this sounds really odd but I see him going out and gettting 13 new players... I am talking about him getting rid of everyone...
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

MasterAxe said:

Food for thought:

Correct.

If I read what little is out there regarding his contract we are obligated for closer to $400k at the end of this season. Regardless, that's a chunk of change. But when you consider the ton of money we are about to pump into this "once" marquee program it's chump change. I think Keller has lost the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happen.

1) Keller is shown the door - we pay him out according to the contract which would be monthly.
2) Wade Mason or Jeremy Cox are given the interim gig. Essentially allowed to audition for the job. If it looks like some changes are happening they give a 1 or 2 year deal to the interim,,,,, we (SFA) hope and pray that the ship "rights" itself.
I have a feeling Mason and/or Cox will be gone...
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

When you have a TOXIC lockeroom those falls happen... Bigjack85 there is way more to this story I am afraid..I know this sounds really odd but I see him going out and gettting 13 new players... I am talking about him getting rid of everyone...

If that is indeed the case he needs to be gone. I can't imagine a scenario that would make that the option he is pushed to. I'm no expert but I have been in leadership for a large chunk of my career. It's rare to see such complete capitulation unless the cancer is so widespread there's no coming back.
Jacks4460
Regardless I am a blessed human being and I am so thankful for that... If all I have to do is critique SFA MBB and Jussie Follet then I am doing well and hope for the best for my dearly loved Lumberjacks...
nacluth
I have no knowledge of anything inside the locker room, and I'm sure things are not great - especially at this point in the season when the pressure is so high.

A couple points:

1.) There have been toxic locker rooms and terrible coaches for years. I don't know that either of these things are true but except by what's posted by some. However, even in national nightmare scandal, it is rare for a clearing out of players. It's more likely for coaches, but typically not for players. The reason is the same as why Keller is not leaving. The buyout is too high.

These kids have college scholarships. No one is paying Nieminen, Bain, Comeaux, or frankly Kevon to come sit their senior year and get a degree with the hope of one more season. Likewise, these kids aren't giving away their degrees just because the team is in a bad spot. It's not like football where you can run off a couple of bad apples, if Keller denies scholarships to four juniors, no one would come here. These guys know that their basketball careers end here and the degree is what's moving them forward.

2.) Good athletic leadership indentifies problems and works to solve them. My guess is if there is a problem in the staff, Ivey will be in their business to try to right the ship in the offseason. Whether it's counseling or helping a particular player move on, usually even big problems have simple solutions. Wholesale clearing rarely helps anything.

3.) Keller and staff took a team to the NCAA's last season. We're still the defending champions of Katy. In two years they accomplished save for one round the highest level any Southland team has made it. This is a bum year. Culture issues notwithstanding, there is nothing to say the goal cannot be repeated. Maybe Keller is ultimately not the guy for SFA, but he has shown he can have success.

4.) The season isn't over - even though we're talking like it is. If there was ever time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting, it's now. I hope that there is some maturity that can help lead this team through the season's final weeks. There's no more expectation. It's all pride. Maybe the wheels come off or maybe the team can say to Bogues and Jovan and Fitz, let's finish your seasons off like men.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I have no knowledge of anything inside the locker room, and I'm sure things are not great - especially at this point in the season when the pressure is so high.

A couple points:

1.) There have been toxic locker rooms and terrible coaches for years. I don't know that either of these things are true but except by what's posted by some. However, even in national nightmare scandal, it is rare for a clearing out of players. It's more likely for coaches, but typically not for players. The reason is the same as why Keller is not leaving. The buyout is too high.

These kids have college scholarships. No one is paying Nieminen, Bain, Comeaux, or frankly Kevon to come sit their senior year and get a degree with the hope of one more season. Likewise, these kids aren't giving away their degrees just because the team is in a bad spot. It's not like football where you can run off a couple of bad apples, if Keller denies scholarships to four juniors, no one would come here. These guys know that their basketball careers end here and the degree is what's moving them forward.

2.) Good athletic leadership indentifies problems and works to solve them. My guess is if there is a problem in the staff, Ivey will be in their business to try to right the ship in the offseason. Whether it's counseling or helping a particular player move on, usually even big problems have simple solutions. Wholesale clearing rarely helps anything.

3.) Keller and staff took a team to the NCAA's last season. We're still the defending champions of Katy. In two years they accomplished save for one round the highest level any Southland team has made it. This is a bum year. Culture issues notwithstanding, there is nothing to say the goal cannot be repeated. Maybe Keller is ultimately not the guy for SFA, but he has shown he can have success.

4.) The season isn't over - even though we're talking like it is. If there was ever time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting, it's now. I hope that there is some maturity that can help lead this team through the season's final weeks. There's no more expectation. It's all pride. Maybe the wheels come off or maybe the team can say to Bogues and Jovan and Fitz, let's finish your seasons off like men.

Your points are valid. I still believe changes are coming at the staff level. I also believe that last years NCAA appearance was largely the reservoir of talent willing us. I'm concerned about the evaluation being done by the staff.
No-look
I'm no expert by no means, but I've been around basketball a long time. When things tank we look for someone to blame. It's just human nature. Sooner or later storms will come. It seems that the perfect storm has come. But this will pass. Readings the posts here surprises me that we want to throw in the towel so quickly on Keller. One year is not a pattern. If a pattern develops then we all could get on board.
What really surprises me is some are blaming players (Kevon and Shannon and others)for not caring. We are all frustrated and have the right to voice our opinion but I think it's is a roster issue,not coaching or lack of effort from the players. The current circumstances is not what SFA basketball is.
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

A couple points:

Thanks for your input and staying positive.. Sorry if I seem so negative..I really want whats best for SFASU.. I just know we have serious obstacles to overcome..
BigJack85
I'm not on board with the player blaming. I do however believe the problems are deeper and more pervasive than we would like to believe.
aquavelvis
TallTexan said:

Ya totally meant to put that in the Ladyjacks thread.
Yeah, but we needed it here.

And a $500k buyout for Keller would be money well spent. He's not a bad coach but like a lot of people in sports...coaches and players...things just go bad and you have to hit the Reset button, which most often means moving on.

Step up, Mr. New AD, and end the misery.
Scott Taylor
BigJack85
Matt Figgers.......
nacluth
Hey, this is a discussion forum. I support all opinions being expressed (within reason), and there is definitely a call for pessimism. I also believe someone can be very pessimistic and supportive at the same time. So keep on posting.

Probably because I've screwed up most things in my life pretty well at some point, I have a fair amount of optimism about life even when things look rough. It's okay if people call me out for being unrealistic, but it's also how I'm wired, so I tend to look for the silver linings. We all weigh this year in our own balances. Too bad we've been coming up short so far.
TallTexan
No-look said:

I'm no expert by no means, but I've been around basketball a long time. When things tank we look for someone to blame. It's just human nature. Sooner or later storms will come. It seems that the perfect storm has come. But this will pass. Readings the posts here surprises me that we want to throw in the towel so quickly on Keller. One year is not a pattern. If a pattern develops then we all could get on board.
What really surprises me is some are blaming players (Kevon and Shannon and others)for not caring. We are all frustrated and have the right to voice our opinion but I think it's is a roster issue,not coaching or lack of effort from the players. The current circumstances is not what SFA basketball is.

We can blame Keller, we can blame the players, but I think there's an angle we're not considering here.

We've yet to win a conference title in a men's sport since Isaac moved to Dallas. Facts are facts.
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

We can blame Keller, we can blame the players, but I think there's an angle we're not considering here.

We've yet to win a conference title in a men's sport since Isaac moved to Dallas. Facts are facts.
Wow! How could I have missed that?
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

WHy isnt superstar Shannon tweeting out to Lumberjack fans?? What a joke maybe the kid will put a foot in his mouth because the team he "leads" isnt even going to make the SLC tourney... He is telling all the fans to sit back and watch come tourney time... Now what is he gonna do since they arent even going to qualify for the tourney?
Public slamming of one of the "kids" is really uncalled for. My opinion.

For what it is worth, if you still aspire to a job in the athletic department, you are going about it all wrong.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

For what it is worth, if you still aspire to a job in the athletic department, you are going about it all wrong.

1000% agree. Thank you 76.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I am not looking to work in the ATH 76... Kids need to be held responsible for actions... if he is gonna tweet something like that you would think I could come to a public forum and criticize it... Its not like I went to his tweet and said anything..Maybe its a lesson in humility that he is getting..
MasterAxe
Kyle Keller is coming back, no questions.

Unless...we lose to UIW at home on Saturday.

UIW is the worst team in the SLC and is 343rd in RPI, bottom 10 in the country.

If we lose, it's validation to me that our team has quit on the season, and that's grounds for action, as I have a feeling Ryan Ivey isn't keen on quitters, whether coaches or players.

Seems highly unlikely, but good lord, isn't this whole season full of unlikely things.
SFA Jack Fanatic
To those who are complaining that Jock only played a minute... If you weren't there, you probably didn't see him holdlng his injured finger/hand with his other hand during dead balls. He was still hurting and/or uncomfortable with the wrap on his fingers. He would have been useless as a shooter.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

If we lose, it's validation to me that our team has quit on the season, and that's grounds for action, as I have a feeling Ryan Ivey isn't keen on quitters, whether coaches or players.

Seems highly unlikely, but good lord, isn't this whole season full of unlikely things.

Agreed. Losing to UIW is grounds. Period

Bad seasons happen although I agree with most that this is epically bad but when the team quits on you that again is a sign of significant issues. I would expect some motion if Saturday is another disaster against a really bad squad in UIW.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

To those who are complaining that Jock only played a minute... If you weren't there, you probably didn't see him holdlng his injured finger/hand with his other hand during dead balls. He was still hurting and/or uncomfortable with the wrap on his fingers. He would have been useless as a shooter.
I was not there, so I will defer to what you saw. But, if that is the case and he was not ready...then why in the hell was he cleared? Seems like that would be a major cock-up by the training staff.
RedRiverLa
jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

TAMCC clearly kicked the ball OOB. What an obvious bad call.

They've replayed it 10 times on the video board.
It was funny but after they kept showing it on the board one of the JV refs went to the scorers table and told them to stop playing it!
Too funny!!!
Ha. JV move is right.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Bad seasons happen although I agree with most that this is epically bad but when the team quits on you that again is a sign of significant issues. I would expect some motion if Saturday is another disaster against a really bad squad in UIW.
Coach Keller brought us wins against LSU,Baylor, and a good showing in the NCAA tourney... He deserves the shot at turning this ship around next year even if we lose the rest of our games.. His hill to cliimb is very tall next year but he can do it..
No-look
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Coach Keller brought us wins against LSU,Baylor, and a good showing in the NCAA tourney... He deserves the shot at turning this ship around next year even if we lose the rest of our games.. His hill to cliimb is very tall next year but he can do it..
Where is jacks4460 and what have you done with him? Lol
RedRiverLa
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I am not looking to work in the ATH 76... Kids need to be held responsible for actions... if he is gonna tweet something like that you would think I could come to a public forum and criticize it... Its not like I went to his tweet and said anything..Maybe its a lesson in humility that he is getting..

I'm on board with your frustration, but I have no issue with his tweet. In the midst of a bad season, with most everyone pessimistic and throwing the word toxic around, and having some mystical insider locker room information, which I have no reason or ability to disprove, a kid basically tweets an us against them mentality message, with a we're making and winning the tournament message (when we even thought maybe, just maybe there's a chance - insert Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber). I was an athlete at this level a long time ago, different sport, and you do what you need to do to motivate yourself and your team - maybe that was his way to motivate. Regardless, I would expect no other type message from a leader - yea, it didn't work out, in fact, it aged horribly, as bad as some of my early-season posts! But he doesn't need humility, he needs his coach and players to tweet the same thing, maybe that would have made a difference. I'm probably alone in how I perceived his tweet, but it didn't rile me then, and it doesn't now. I was down front during the WRJ loss to NWST - Shannon was the only player bent down and taking it hard. I think he's been beat down by giving everything and still losing. The selfishness that is being referred to comes not from being that type of player, but being forced to be. Time and time again we've all said Bogues and Harris need to take the game over if we're going to have a chance. Again, just my opinion, we are all frustrated, it's not good right now, but it's just basketball, it will get better.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Lol,,,, I have never said Keller has to go...I just said the Lockeroom is a mess...I did say he has trouble coaching some of those elite level star recruits..
TallTexan
No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Hello, FBI, I'd like to report Nacluth and Edstile for Jack-napping. Check the basement at WRJ.

I'm sure they're taking care of Jacks4460, but they've obviously stolen his phone.
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

MKyle Keller is coming back, no questions.

Hello, FBI, I'd like to report Nacluth and Edstile for Jack-napping. Check the basement at WRJ.

I'm sure they're taking care of Jacks4460, but they've obviously stolen his phone.
LOL!!!!!!
Jacks4460
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

MKyle Keller is coming back, no questions.

LOL!!!!!!
Texan you always make me smile when I read your posts... Where is Ed he is really quiet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.