SFA / Northwestern State

51,936 Views | 308 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by migata33
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Note on Comeaux, when he was not in the game, he was behind the bench on the bike or being stretched the majority of the time.
PurpleOut
Staff
Also, my Facebook "memory" today from 2015 was when we beat UCA by 50. Those were the days.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I woke up and said in my head, "I wish we could go up for rebounds like those dogs went up for frisbees."

Ain't that the truth?! Those puppies got game! Hope our puppies develop some, and quick!
BigJack85
Kind of reset my mind on this loss. I came to a few thoughts.

We are at least as talented (raw skill) as those 27-30 win teams.

Why are we not playing close to our potential?

Is it the influx of transfers changing the DNA of SFA basketball? I don't think so but it is worth pondering.

We start slow consistently. Are we prepared?

Who is the leader of this team? Aaron? Kevon?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Note on Comeaux, when he was not in the game, he was behind the bench on the bike or being stretched the majority of the time.
I did not notice that. Hopefully his not playing was precautionary.
Ljacks&Longnecks
MasterAxe said:

There is a poster advocating to fire Keller.

Doesn't he know that I'm the "Fire Keller" maniac?!

We're not even close to that territory.

Does he and the staff have a lot to answer for and adjust to? Absolutely.

Have they done a good job this year? Hard to say.

But, talk of firing is absurd.

Imagine firing a coach every time "message board guy" said to. Lol.
Well said Master!
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Kind of reset my mind on this loss. I came to a few thoughts.

We are at least as talented (raw skill) as those 27-30 win teams.

Why are we not playing close to our potential?

Is it the influx of transfers changing the DNA of SFA basketball? I don't think so but it is worth pondering.

We start slow consistently. Are we prepared?

Who is the leader of this team? Aaron? Kevon?

I think Aaron is our "vocal leader", when healthy. Anytime he's on the court, he's acting as the floor general,getting people set, coaching on the floor in breaks between play, etc.

Bogues leads by actions most nights.
BigJack85
Consistently starting slow is one of our biggest issues. That lends to preparation as a problem. I don't get it.
crgideon
Over-preparing, maybe? Keller has recruited some Big 12 talent on this team - no doubt. Will definitely give him that. Can't do it every game but would love to see him just roll the ball out there one time and tell the guys to just go score 100... Just play a little looser?
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Well, two losses in a row to bad teams. Simply not okay, but all is not lost ... yet.

It was good to see everyone, sans TJ and Nicholas, back on the floor. Clearly, the coaches got lost on player rotations having everyone available. I love Augustin, but he is not ready to play that many minutes. Where was Comeaux in the second half? Samuli was a liability on the offensive end, but he played solid on the defensive end in spite of being gassed. Watch the final play again. While Lane blew by Bain, Samuli was blocking out two guys on the other side of the bucket. Of course, it never should have come down to that. Fitzgerald ... I thought he was over rated coming in and he has not changed my mind. He wants to make big plays which leads to not smart plays.

I thought Harris had dead legs in the second half. He didn't have his usual burst. Couldn't get up around the rim. Missing free throws. Too many minutes? Long bus rides? I don't know, but I never expect him to have a game that bad again. Bogues also looked half a step slow. Three point shots are about legs, and he was off.

Long bus rides coming up to UNO and UIW. Ugh. Coaches need to be huddled up this morning working on how to use who they now have available. Coaches need to be working on the mental state of this team. As much as we expect them to win these games, you know the players expect it even more. They must be really down right now. How they respond the next two games may very well define the season.

I am frustrated and concerned. Not ready to pack it in yet, and will continue to support these guys every step.

How about those Ladyjacks! That was the best three point shooting game I have ever seen by any team at any level. That is a team that is getting better. If, when, Harvey gets back, look out.

Ditto.
Pilotgirl
I really don't know who leader if the team is either. Last yr, the (emotional) leader was Ty for sure. V and I had this discussion after the season & wondered who it would be and thought a combo TJ/Shannon with a sprinkle of Key. With TJ out, do not know who is....AA leads on the court with plays, but who is the Leader Leader? I think the team is in definite need of one...
TallTexan
crgideon said:

Over-preparing, maybe? Keller has recruited some Big 12 talent on this team - no doubt. Will definitely give him that. Can't do it every game but would love to see him just roll the ball out there one time and tell the guys to just go score 100... Just play a little looser?
Now this we can agree on. I'd love to see the guys go out and burn it up, play fast and loose. I think we can do it.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I really don't know who leader if the team is either. Last yr, the (emotional) leader was Ty for sure. V and I had this discussion after the season & wondered who it would be and thought a combo TJ/Shannon with a sprinkle of Key. With TJ out, do not know who is....AA leads on the court with plays, but who is the Leader Leader? I think the team is in definite need of one...
My thought was that it would be TJ. Harder to do when you're injured, but not impossible to be an off the court leader.

Right now, we need someone to be the heart & soul of the team.

Honestly, if I was going to point to someone and be like, he's the guy, it'd be Bain. He seems like he wants it, every single night. He's always playing like we're down 3 in the tourney. He's got a lot of hustle and grit.
No-look
Karl playing this week? Hope it was just a one game thing.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would agree with Pilotgirl that this team needs a locker room leader to emerge and try and emulate what we had with Ty as a leader last season. That would be a big step towards righting the ship. That said it would have to come from within one of our veteran players to do so.
Also in regard to Harris seeming to have dead legs last night I would have to agree....2 of his free throws hit the front of the rim and it seems he has lost a step towards trying to drive to the hoop and draw the foul. Makes me think about what Master mentioned a few times about those 39 minute games taking a toll later. Could be the case and if so hope that the return of some guys would give him and Bogues a few more breathers from here out.

Hope Master doesn't get a big head since I complimented one of his post earlier and gave him a credit here.....
SFA Jack Fanatic
crgideon said:

Can't do it every game but would love to see him just roll the ball out there one time and tell the guys to just go score 100... Just play a little looser?

Agree 100%. Perhaps the guys are over-thinking things on the court (especially on offense) and making the game more complicated than it needs to be.
cboothe09
I think a big problem is when Fitz comes in. He is like a black hole for the ball. Once it hits him it isnt going anywhere else. Disrupts everything...
HJC69
Our Big 12 talent may need to learn to play as a team. Team play has gotten us to the dance 4 out of the last 5 years.
BigJack85
HJC69 said:

Our Big 12 talent may need to learn to play as a team. Team play has gotten us to the dance 4 out of the last 5 years.

100%. Pinkney and Walkup weren't even recruited by Sunbelt schools.
Ljacks&Longnecks
HJC69 said:

Completely agree with this statement. Everyone has to buy in to the team concept to allow SFA the best shot at success, the past few seasons have proven this to be true.
TallTexan
I don't think our guys are trying not to play like a team, it just hasnt meshed yet.

They're all encouraging each other, playing hard, just hasn't clicked yet. We need to get one or two good conference wins for things to fall into place.
migata33
Firing the coach talk is a bit extreme and silly honestly. As much as we think SFA is the greatest place in the world to coach and play it isn't the greatest place to coach and play. Keller is a fantastic coach and recruiter and his assistant coaches are D1 level and could very well still be at a D1 institution if they were so inclined. No one is jaking out on the court and everyone on that roster from top to bottom wants to win but sometimes the parts don't fit right and this team has a roster of forwards with little else. Our guards cant shoot a high percentage and have been injury prone. This is the main problem with this team right now...offensive flow is horrible and there is an excessive amount of 1 on 1 going on because the team cant put together a rotation that can stay healthy. If you want to throw shade at the coaching staff then by all means ***** about the free throw shooting and brain farting that goes on from time to time that middle school teams don't even do. Im certain they will clear that up as they will most of the problems that they can this season. Root the team on and lets all accept the preseason outlook is not going to happen but we play in the SLC and a week of brilliance gets you into the NCAA's. Its gonna be ok everyone...hopefully the team is now wide awake and the coaches are busting their asses in practice...go Jacks!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great post migata...where have you been all season? You nailed many issues about this team for this year. I know we all want SFA to be the next Gonzaga etc but we are still a long way from that type of standard. The conference we play in and the somewhat desolate location of Nac do not play in our favor either.

Now I do believe that if Aaron is back for the rest of the season, the coaching staff can get some better offensive ball movement and plays going and that could open up Harris and Bogues a bit more. Our lackluster offense needs this kind of boost to help get us on top of conference play. Nicholas and Seraille are getting a little better each time out...remember they weren't even supposed to play this year.

You are also correct that the preseason hype is out the window....in all honesty it was out the window when TJ went down for the year and with Aarons ailments. Despite all the setbacks and sometimes iffy play this season is still alive and very winnable if both players and coaches buckle down and make adjustments and corrections and if we can avoid any more serious injuries.
djsfw57
I'm still numb to be honest. This season is not what I was expecting. Am I ready to throw in the towel? LOL Not for a second. I'm thirsty for the SFA teams that had swagger, that KNEW they were going to win big games. These guys have at least as much talent in my opinion, but they need a good shot of self-confidence. They also need that swagger in their step again!
nacluth
Ice cold take:

migata33
Thanks for the kind words and additions to the think tank on this matter. We just need to accept at this point the season will not be the grand awaking we all thought it would but that doesn't mean losing is not learning and if our freshman become better sophomores and up the chain then lessons being taught right now will bear fruit in the future. Tomorrow is another day and you get yourself off the mat and fight. At this point I want to see determination and energy for 40 minutes every game going forward. Fix the fundamentals for goodness sakes! No player should be in a lineup if that cant hit 70% of their free throws! If any player on this roster is as good as Shaq then by all means shoot 52.7% on your free throws...we have no Shaq's so hit 70% for goodness sakes..get to work fellas!
SFA Jack Fanatic
migata33 said:

No player should be in a lineup if that cant hit 70% of their free throws! If any player on this roster is as good as Shaq then by all means shoot 52.7% on your free throws...we have no Shaq's so hit 70% for goodness sakes..get to work fellas!

Amen, Brother. Preach it!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

migata33 said:

No player should be in a lineup if that cant hit 70% of their free throws! If any player on this roster is as good as Shaq then by all means shoot 52.7% on your free throws...we have no Shaq's so hit 70% for goodness sakes..get to work fellas!

So, you guys would bench Kevon. Ok.
TallTexan
I wouldn't bench Kevon, but I have all sorts of questions about what's going on with his free throw shooting. They haven't been right since his early season shoulder injury.
migata33
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

migata33 said:

So, you guys would bench Kevon. Ok.
I wouldn't bench him as that would not help but I would certainly consider putting him on the bench in late game situations where the other team is going to foul you. Bottom line for me is he like the rest of the team can be better fundamentally. This season has been an injury prone...regressive nightmare in a lot of ways. I just want to be able to sit down turn on my tv and watch a good 40 minute game for once....it not easy to watch right now as the team is playing sloppy and boring ball..well except that Bama game...that was a fantastic game to be at and probably their best full game effort of the season. We need more of that and less of this. Cheers!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.