2018-2019 Ladyjacks

158,409 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a dominating performance today! 76-34......wow.
Pilotgirl
We didn't win. We DOMINATED.
SFAJack_76
Tulsa is not a good team, but they were 3-2 coming in. They had shot 44% and 48% from the field their last two games. They shot 21% today. Some was really poor shooting. A lot was really good, active defense by the Ladyjacks.

We have seen the Ladyjacks three times now. The first two games they were really sluggish in the first half and then had a dominating third quarter. Today, they were a ball of fire from the opening tip and never let up. Early season observations:

• Sophomore Banfield is becoming a solid PG. Doing a good job of running the offense and playing hard nose, aggressive defense. If/when her shot starts falling, she will be all around special.
  • Freshman sub Mitchell is a jitter bug running the point. Small but very adept. Not an offensive threat.
  • Junior Harvey is everything she showed she could be in spurts her first two years. Injury slowed her some last year. She is all over the court on both ends. Two double doubles in a row.
  • Senior Hayes is shooting better than ever. Defense is active and good enough.
  • Freshman Visscher from Sweden is not putting up big stats, but she is really, really good. Solid defense and a smooth three point shot that I think she needs to take more often. You have to watch her play to appreciate what she is doing. She is not flashy.
  • Senior Imani Johnson is much improved over last year although she did not have a good game today. She is moving better and looks to be in better shape.

The rest of the subs all have really good moments and really "what the heck" moments. It will be interesting to see how Kellogg manages the rotation as the season progresses. Next up is at 4-1 Texas Tech. They have a 17 point win over A&M-Corpus and, today, a six point win over HBU. I like this Ladyjack team a lot.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Tulsa is not a good team, but they were 3-2 coming in. They had shot 44% and 48% from the field their last two games. They shot 21% today. Some was really poor shooting. A lot was really good, active defense by the Ladyjacks.

We have seen the Ladyjacks three times now. The first two games they were really sluggish in the first half and then had a dominating third quarter. Today, they were a ball of fire from the opening tip and never let up. Early season observations:

• Sophomore Banfield is becoming a solid PG. Doing a good job of running the offense and playing hard nose, aggressive defense. If/when her shot starts falling, she will be all around special.
  • Freshman sub Mitchell is a jitter bug running the point. Small but very adept. Not an offensive threat.
  • Junior Harvey is everything she showed she could be in spurts her first two years. Injury slowed her some last year. She is all over the court on both ends. Two double doubles in a row.
  • Senior Hayes is shooting better than ever. Defense is active and good enough.
  • Freshman Visscher from Sweden is not putting up big stats, but she is really, really good. Solid defense and a smooth three point shot that I think she needs to take more often. You have to watch her play to appreciate what she is doing. She is not flashy.
  • Senior Imani Johnson is much improved over last year although she did not have a good game today. She is moving better and looks to be in better shape.

The rest of the subs all have really good moments and really "what the heck" moments. It will be interesting to see how Kellogg manages the rotation as the season progresses. Next up is at 4-1 Texas Tech. They have a 17 point win over A&M-Corpus and, today, a six point win over HBU. I like this Ladyjack team a lot.

Good observations and I couldn't agree more. I was on the road and not able to see today's game, but I've seen the others. I agree about Visscher. She has talent. She could just be the best foreign player we've ever had. Mitchell hasn't scored much for us, but she was a scorer in high school. Perhaps she'll be taking more shots when she gets more comfortable at this level. She's a wizard with the basketball and is just plain fun to watch. And I also agree about Banfield. She is rounding into being an excellent PG.
Pilotgirl
Ok...is it just me??? THE LADY JACKS ARE SPECIAL YOU GUYS!!

Each game is noted improvement...offense & defense was on fire today! I am excited to see what this season has in store for our Ladies...time to take that Conference Championship!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Ok...is it just me??? THE LADY JACKS ARE SPECIAL YOU GUYS!!

Each game is noted improvement...offense & defense was on fire today! I am excited to see what this season has in store for our Ladies...time to take that Conference Championship!
Amen to that! It's not just you. Going to get past Lamar and into the Big Dance this year!
nacluth
Went to check to see if Riley Harvey won SLC player of the week only to find Lamar's Moe Kinard had won it. I was about to complain since Lamar went 1-2 against relatively weak competition, but then I saw in their 117-112 loss to Denver, she scored 58 points. Her 13 threes set a new NCAA single game record, and her 58 points were the highest for any player ever in Lamar's history and the record for this season in NCAA play. Ok, she gets this week.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Went to check to see if Riley Harvey won SLC player of the week only to find Lamar's Moe Kinard had won it. I was about to complain since Lamar went 1-2 against relatively weak competition, but then I saw in their 117-112 loss to Denver, she scored 58 points. Her 13 threes set a new NCAA single game record, and her 58 points were the highest for any player ever in Lamar's history and the record for this season in NCAA play. Ok, she gets this week.

But still...Lamar...
Ljacks&Longnecks
Don't want to pay Texas Tech to watch tonight so going the Q 107 route tonight. Ladies off to great start.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks had a strong first 8 minutes.....the last 12 not so much....TT up 42-29 at half
nacluth
Good effort by the Ladyjacks, but got outplayed in the second. Defensive adjustments have been our strength all year long. We started to turn the tide with the press at the end of the half. Need a solid third quarter to get us back.
SFAJack_76
Tech is winning inside. 24-8 points in the paint. 23-17 rebounds.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Tech shooting 53% (17 for 32) and SFA 28% (9 for 32) at the half. Ladyjacks only 2 of 13 on threes.
SFAJack_76
Starting to have a dislike for Tech. Bad second quarter. Good second half.

I like this Ladyjack team. A lot.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks made a late run against Tech....fall 77-69....2nd qtr was downfall. The good news is they fought the whole way and there is much youth on this club. Bring on the SLC.
nacluth
Down 3 points with 24 seconds left after down 14 in Lubbock. Sad the comeback didn't happen, but couldn't be prouder. Next time Ladyjacks. Axe 'em!
nacluth
Not to move on from the excellent effort against Tech, but Tulsa who was terrible and we destroyed by almost 40 beat ACU by 12 tonight. Did not see that coming.
Pilotgirl
I AM SO STOKED FOR MY LADIES THIS SEASON!!! CHANELL WAS FIREEEEE TONIGHT!
SFAJack_76
Lamar 74
#17 A&M 68

Apparently, the Lady Cardinals are pretty good again.
nacluth
Yikes.
Jon
You could hand count the people here at the game today, can't be more than 200 people here just before tipoff. Hoping for an easy win today
SFAJack_76
A little better than that, but not much. Of course, not really a game.
nacluth
You're getting your wish Jon. This team is worse than bad. 15-0 at the first media. I don't know where Wiley College is or how they have two wins. Their shots are ugly. Their point guard can't dribble without carrying. They have traveled on every possession, but I'm guessing the coach told the officials not to whistle for their sloppy play. No whistles at all until Banfield got a blatant foul.

I know statistically they will score a point, but the Ladyjacks could keeps them off the board all day if they wanted.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
I'll be there once my two year old wakes up.
Jon
This team put up 63 at Sam Houston a couple weeks ago, and we hold them to 2 in 1Q. Good sign there.
nacluth
Yep. I'll just say that that will probably statistically be our best defensive quarter of the year. Could easily have been a big 0.
nacluth
Visscher is great defensively. Her hands are everywhere.
nacluth
Wiley's game:

SFAXE93
Why was this game scheduled?

nacluth
50-7. A late three kept a second consecutive 2 point quarter off the books. On pace to a 86 point victory.
nacluth
The game is not as close as the score indicates.
SFAJack_76
They scored 63 against Sam. 2-4 coming in. They are bad, but the Ladyjacks are good. Really good.

Ladyjacks have some if the same difficulty scheduling home games that the men do. Current reality.
SFAJack_76
Fisker has her left foot in a boot again.
Pilotgirl
Wily college is a private University in Marshall Texas. It is a predominantly black (or was ) college. It is nest known for its debate team, especially during the civil rights movement/era. Remember The Great Debaters with Denzel washington? Wiley. He comes back a lot fir fundraisers.

nacluth
Axes up!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.