2018-2019 Ladyjacks

158,600 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Well, it might not turn out to be a good Saturday, this was our basketball hope and Lamar is taking it to us bad. MBB could be worse, hopefully softball can upset LSU. Purple Lights may be dim today unfortunately.

Baseball won. Purple lights.
Oh good, I had tuned into the live game and they are down by 5 to Portland. Purple Lights!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Pilotgirl
RedRiverLa said:

Well, it might not turn out to be a good Saturday, this was our basketball hope and Lamar is taking it to us bad. MBB could be worse, hopefully softball can upset LSU. Purple Lights may be dim today unfortunately.

We will split the series with them and see em in Katy!
RedRiverLa
Yep, dirty ball. 22 is the worst - street ball dirty - they can have her.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFA Jack Fanatic
They need to check the testosterone level in Moe Kinard. Just sayin'....
RedRiverLa
Pilotgirl said:

RedRiverLa said:

We will split the series with them and see em in Katy!
Yep, we need to find an answer to "dirty ball". We did at home, just get off to a hot start and take them out of their game.
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
Can't say that Lamar has not been successful this year, but I have a new top team to dislike in WBB in the SLC. Dirty play plus the never ending whining by players and staff at ANY foul called on them gets old and needs to be kept in check by officials.
We need to be ready for them in Katy.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

They need to check the testosterone level in Moe Kinard. Just sayin'....

Tru Dat! Just saying what we're all thinking
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAJack_76
Harvey definitely brings grit to this team. Banfield does to a lesser degree. Having both of them out is a big deal.
nacluth
Home teams split the series. We'll have home court advantage in Katy - especially if the men can find away to get in. But I believe in this team. They are resilient and so good. I'd take this loss knowing they will be more focused.
TallTexan
Better to split the series and win in Katy than to win the series and lose.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Last night makes that horrific shooting performance and loss in Corpus even worse. Win that one and we're likely conference co-champs.
BigJack85
I think we are a couple years from being dominant. Kellogg seems to have a plan and it's going the right direction.

Looks like he's developed a foreign pipeline that may help us fill some skill gaps that we can't fill in Texas Seems the Big 12 and SEC squads grab all of the good post prospects.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Recall that Kellogg had to make some tough calls to correct some unfortunate roster decisions made by his predecessor. A formal investigation into allegations by a couple of former players, that went on for nearly nine months, was only concluded, with no action taken, two years ago. My point in mentioning this is that he is just in the last two years getting his players.

He has expanded the recruiting area with three from Missouri, one from Minnesota, and Hayes from Arkansas. Not sure about the foreign pipeline. Fisker was just up the road in Carthage at Panola. Lovisa was a solid offensive player, particularly from the three point line, but defensive shortcomings limited her minutes. Visscher is special.

The three 2019 signees are quality guards from Texas. This year's roster has two open scholarships. One would have been Lovisa. She decided to not return too late to get another quality recruit. Imani and Chanell are gone after this year. Fisker could redshirt and come back, but I doubt she will. Harris will probably return after her redshirt year. Hopefully, there are no other departures, but it happens in the women's game also. That is a long way around to say there is one available scholarship. Two if Fisker does not return. We definitely need to add an inside player. We need to fill all fifteen scholarships. I don't want to see us down to nine players again next year.

Next season should be very good, but two years out could indeed be special. Harvey and Harris, if Fisker does not return, will be the only two seniors on the 2019-20 team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It will be interesting to see if Marissa receives a different opinion from doctors in Houston this week on the extent of her knee injury. I've never heard what the original diagnosis was, but it must have been a bad one.

I really like Brianna at PG, but her height (or lack thereof) is a detriment when she drives to the basket. She had 3 or 4 shots blocked last night doing that. And Marissa is definitely a better outside shooter than Bri. I hope Marissa's not done for the year. She was in sweats and walking around last night. We'll see...

As you say, we really need someone who can dominate in the middle, but good ones are hard to find.

BTW, the family of the Johnson sisters were in attendance at the Lamar game. Good to see.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

It will be interesting to see if Marissa receives a different opinion from doctors in Houston this week on the extent of her knee injury. I've never heard what the original diagnosis was, but it must have been a bad one.

I really like Brianna at PG, but her height (or lack thereof) is a detriment when she drives to the basket. She had 3 or 4 shots blocked last night doing that. And Marissa is definitely a better outside shooter than Bri. I hope Marissa's not done for the year. She was in sweats and walking around last night. We'll see...

As you say, we really need someone who can dominate in the middle, but good ones are hard to find.

BTW, the family of the Johnson sisters were in attendance at the Lamar game. Good to see.

The Johnson fam was also at NWST. They are adorable! Younger brother hugged his sisters after & they all sport SFA gear: THEY ARE IN IT!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

The Johnson fam was also at NWST. They are adorable! Younger brother hugged his sisters after & they all sport SFA gear: THEY ARE IN IT!

I don't know what little brother's situation is, but he looks like a player!
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Harvey is suited up. Looks good.
SFAJack_76
Terrible crowd. Where are the students?
SFAJack_76
This team really misses Banfield. No true PG other than Mitchell.
nacluth
Long run by ACU to take the lead
Ljacks&Longnecks
Very true 76, missing Banfield very much.....wonder if we will hear about her 2nd opinion on her knee
SFAJack_76
The way she is limping, I suspect her season is done.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You're killing me 76......we need some good news basketball wise for a change!
SFAJack_76
Got five minutes out of Harvey. A rebound and a block.

Tied at 29 at the half. Visscher with four turnovers. She is being out quicked at the point. ACU is playing a very aggressive, physical defense. We aren't handling it well.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Solid 3rd, up 5...now let's finish it out.
SFAJack_76
Played much better the last three minutes of the third to go up by 5. Hamling playing solid defense. Hayes is having a really bad game.

SFAJack_76
Up 13 with 2:05 to go. Mitchell has not played this quarter. ACU looks tired. Hamling playing really good.

They recognized Fisker at the last time out for academics. She is on crutches with her foot wrapped. I suspect she had surgery.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Solid 4th.....65-48 win. On to Saturday then to Katy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Solid 4th.....65-48 win. On to Saturday then to Katy.

Ladyjacks looked lackluster in the first half but turned it on in the second, and I thought SFA's depth was a difference-maker, too. Chanell did not have a good game but the others picked her up.

Good to see Riley get some minutes to start getting her legs in game shape before Katy.
SFAJack_76
Agree that depth was an advantage, but more so quality depth than numbers. Harvey, Aaliyah Johnson, and Bri Burns played five minutes or less. So, seven got the bulk of the minutes. ACU only played seven even though they had fifteen suited up. Hayes was 4-14 from the field with one of the makes being a desperation banked in three. However, she did not let that carryover to the defensive end. Mitchell was not having a good ball handling game, so Hamling comes in and plays lock down defense while Visscher has no turnovers in the second half. ACU hit a wall with about four to go in the third while the Ladyjacks, with two starters on the bench, picked up the tempo.

This group is a team. Mitchell was not sulking about not playing at all in the fourth. Quite the opposite as she was perhaps the biggest cheerleader on the bench. They really do support each other. A very significant contrast to the other basketball team on the campus.

I just watched Kellogg's post game press conference. The best comment was that we might get Banfield back soon. That would be great.
SFAJack_76
Fourth quarter. Hamling with the three and Mitchell pumping up the bench. Good stuff.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I just watched Kellogg's post game press conference. The best comment was that we might get Banfield back soon. That would be great.
Surprising! Hope they're not bringing her back too soon.
SFAJack_76
This is what Kia got recognized for at the game last night.
nacluth
More than beauty and brawn...brains too!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.