2018-2019 Ladyjacks

156,533 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently Mayfield too?

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Apparently Mayfield too?

Looks like the Ladyjack freshmen are going to have to contribute right away, just like the Jacks freshmen.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Apparently Mayfield too?

Looks like the Ladyjack freshmen are going to have to contribute right away, just like the Jacks freshmen.
Yes they will. If Mayfield is a season ending issue, they are down to eleven players with four of those being true freshmen. I like the eleven, but better not lose any more. It is a long season.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
I asked this question over on the Jacks thread, so I'll also ask it here also: Which of the Ladyjacks' new players will make the greatest positive impact in the year ahead - Brianna Mitchell, Heaven Hamling, Stephanie Visscher, or Aiyana Johnson?

I'll go with Brianna Mitchell. She's a scoring machine, so she'll be needed to replace the points lost by graduation and injury.

What say ye, Sawmillers?
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Great poster for the Ladyjacks also.

PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76
Kellogg participated in the weekly press conference today. He said he expected Fisker to be back to practice today or tomorrow. Recall she was in a boot on Friday. Also, Alyssa Mayfield, who had ACL surgery last season is expected back this week. So, other than Harris, who is out for the year, it sounds like the Ladyjacks are about to be full strength.

nacluth
Incredible news for the Ladyjacks!
nacluth
Ladies play this morning at 10 to kick off the Preseason WNIT and their season against Miami. Good luck Ladyjacks!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
jboy93
Ladies down early...lots of early turnovers!
jboy93
Down 22-16 after 1st. Hayes hot early with 12, 4-5 from 3!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks with great ball movement so far. Marissa Banfield running the point well. They've missed about four layups. Chanell Hayes is red hot from three. Down 22-16 after one quarter.
nacluth
So watching the ladies play and getting beaten by #24/25 Miami, I'm really impressed with our squad. Our pretty young bench is going to have to grow, but we look like a team that can compete. Hamling looks good for a freshman and our point guards look decent. The Johnson sisters are going to be tough to handle. I'm excited.
Pilotgirl
Great showing from our Ladies! They were in it during the first half. Conditioning right now is a factor. Heaven is gonna be great. Hayes...yes!! We are gonna be fine for conference time...i was worried but thus game put me at ease!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Too much height and athleticism for the Ladyjacks. They have nothing to hang their heads about on this one.
Jacks4460
I love the Ladyjacks..
Pilotgirl
YOU GUYS...THIS IS AWESOME...!!!

nacluth
So great! It's time to come to our house!!!
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

So great! It's time to come to our house!!!
Yes! I am going to try to go to Friday site's game. Probably can't go Sat because I will be packing to go to New Orleans for a week, but we will see.
SFAJack_76
We won't be able to go Friday. Planning on Saturday.

nacluth
No one here, but girls are looking good early. Morgan St. does not look good, but to be fair, they have 7! players.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Watching on Facebook live feed, kinda choppy. Ladies should take this one.
nacluth
They should. Their competition are barely basketball players. So many double dribbles, traveling, sloppy play. We're not looking great, but I think it's because Morgan St. is so chaotic.
nacluth
Fun fact: only one Morgan St. player has a field goal at the half.
nacluth
2 minutes into the fourth, another player scored a bucket for the Bears. All rookies on the court for us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hamling can shoot the rock!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladies will play Yale tomorrow, right, Ryan?
nacluth
Yep, that's right - Yale at 4:30. On Sunday at 4:30 Miami, who beat us in the first round, will play for the championship against Iowa State.

A couple of thoughts from our home opener.

First, Morgan St. is not a basketball team. They only had 7 players. One got injured and didn't play the second half. They had one actual basketball player on their team. It's a home win and a tournament win, but we would have won that game with whatever configuration of our players Coack K could have fielded. I could have been the fifth player and we would have won. Yikes.

Second, we have some incredibly talented young guards. Mitchell, Burns, Banfield, and Hamling are so good. They haven't mastered the system completely yet, but they are so talented in the back court. We are going to win a lot of games with them. Heaven Hamling is going to be a star here. She is going to lead all bench players this year. But, it's not that she can just score - tonight she was actually kind of off after here 15 points against Miami. However, she is a great defender. She got her hands into the passing lanes every possession. Morgan St. is a turnover machine, but Hamling had to cause almost 10 singlehandedly. A two way player that's just going to get better. Mitchell has the potential to be a fabulous point guard (if she isn't already). Those two in particular are exciting.

Third, this wasn't the game to showcase our skilled veterans, but Riley, Chanell, and Imani are going to anchor this team and hopefully lead us to the championship. We have not dropped off from last year. We are better.

Look forward to topping Yale tomorrow.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
The announcers on the Facebook feed were impressed with Hamling's high motor. Always on the move. Me? I'm impressed with her threes!
Pilotgirl
Just popping in to for a second to PLEAD with locals or 45 to 60 miles away to come support the ladies tomorrow!! Crowd attendance was abysmal tonight.... I know it's because of the the date/holiday but our local community must show up too. It was the lowest attending game I have ever been to at SFA but so glad we went.

I agree with the above , for what it is worth except I think Morgan St player was hurt after half. Their baskets came from the free throw line for about 2 quatrrs it seemed. Our girls hustled but are are still learning on both ends. Was impressed with all SFA players.

Can't go tomorrow or I would be there. Also gave away my ticket for Tuesday's game vs Marist while we were there so someone will be there in my place.

Didn't get a chance to see the game before bc I was still at work. It was a close one tho... 67 to 64. We were sitting right behind Yale team and they stayed and watched the entire game. Niagra left at the half.
Pilotgirl
FWIW number 24 from Morgan St. was prob hurt too with that knee. We saw her grimacing and moving really slow. As soon as she fouled out, that knee was iced. They may be down to 6 players before long.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.