WEEK 6: UTAH TECH

9,409 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BigJack85
Jyank24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That last drive is the Maurer I wish we always saw. He has the skill to do it, but for some reason it's not the consistency you need from a starter
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hate to say it, but SFA deserved to lose this game. Bad play calling and poor play on both sides of the ball.
Pilotgirl
Wow. No words. Disappointed all around. I mainly watch now for Campos and Quick...they are awesome.
RedRiverLa
This is where our program is right now. Beating weak teams in lower conferences, losing to weak teams in our own. Will still be in the stands cheering, but the fork is in on this season.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Hate to say it, but SFA deserved to lose this game. Bad play calling and poor play on both sides of the ball.

Utah Tech was like, "death from a thousand cuts". Bad loss imho.
BigJack85
RedRiverLa said:

This is where our program is right now. Beating weak teams in lower conferences, losing to weak teams in our own. Will still be in the stands cheering, but the fork is in on this season.

Painful loss. Felt like Austin Peay, only worse.
sfajack05
No point in rest of the season. Even if the Jacks win out they are not making the playoffs.

I thought we were supposed to be competing for championships with the great coach Carthel? Can't even beat a 1-4 team and blow leads like no other.
AxeEm99
If McCarty and Hill were still here, there would be a draft copy of a non-renewal on his desk tonight!! Carthel is in year 5. When does all the HYPE actually become REALITY??? Like NDSU type reality????
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Painful loss. Felt like Austin Peay, only worse.

My initial excitement has just morphed into perpetual numbness while watching the games.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfajack05
AxeEm99 said:

If McCarty and Hill were still here, there would be a draft copy of a non-renewal on his desk tonight!! Carthel is in year 5. When does all the HYPE actually become REALITY??? Like NDSU type reality????

Beginning to think never
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

No point in rest of the season. Even if the Jacks win out they are not making the playoffs.

I thought we were supposed to be competing for championships with the great coach Carthel? Can't even beat a 1-4 team and blow leads like no other.

Still plenty to play for. Not the best coaching job, by the entire staff. The guys just didn't look prepared. Execution of the plan is on the players. I had dreams of an 8-3 season. I'd probably settle for 6-5.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

Still plenty to play for. Not the best coaching job, by the entire staff. The guys just didn't look prepared. Execution of the plan is on the players. I had dreams of an 8-3 season. I'd probably settle for 6-5.

What exactly is there to play for? Moral victories? Carthel improving his home record? Gaining momentum for next season just like the previous 22 seasons?

No way this team is making the playoffs.
BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

What exactly is there to play for? Moral victories? Carthel improving his home record? Gaining momentum for next season just like the previous 22 seasons?

Show the fans that we still have drive and dedication
SFASawmillGuy
Playoffs are not out of reach, just gonna be very, very hard now.

You still show up to play because you're representing the school and town. You show up to play because you love the game and want to keep playing and fighting to win every game. No matter what's at stake.

And fans show up because they love their team. Win or lose. 11 of the last 12 BOTPW's were very sad for me but if we played the Kats again this Saturday I'd be there wearing purple and ready to go.

Is it frustrating. Absolutely. We have far too good a team to have gave away one against APSU and to get outplayed by Utah Tech. But to say there's nothing left to play for is wrong.
MasterAxe
Not seeing a ton of "Colby is the coach to lead our program to the next level" comments.

Perhaps reality setting in that he ain't it.

He's not gonna get fired; but there HAS to be a thorough programs review.

Something just ain't clicking.
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

BigJack85 said:

sfajack05 said:

Show the fans that we still have drive and dedication

You mean the same drive and dedication they had against APU and Utah Tech?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
SFA88
djsfw57 said:

I'm reminded of Mary Ann Otwell, who had tremendous success at the junior college level. When she came to coach the Ladyjacks, the program just sank.

Being highly successful at one level doesn't mean success will come at a higher level.
Thank you. I have been trying to remember her name.
TallTexan
If I may offer some perspective, Utah St is better than their 1-4 going into the game suggested. Those 4 were Montana State(4-1), Montana(5-1), Missouri St & Colorado St.

Not that they looked like world beaters(neither did APSU), but they also played atleast two FCS playoff teams and Colorado St can play too(UT had a decent showing against them).

That's not to say don't make any changes, just don't mail it in for the season. After all, we only get a dozen of these games every year if we're lucky.

Personally, we're just not consistent enough on offense and I think that comes down to playcalling and strategy. The defense appears better than last year, and it takes a while for a defense to gel with a new playcaller(like seasons).

I can also see what the coaches like about Maurer the past two weeks, but I'd still see if we can snag a good transfer to compete going into next season. Maurer should continue to improve, but we need depth and with so many transfers nowadays wouldn't hurt to try to snag someone.
SFAXE93
Williams was the player of the game.

229 total yards of offense (147 rushing/82 passing) 3 TD's at 9 yards per play

Mauer with his second straight 3+ TD game, 297 total yards, no INT's

In his last two games Mauer has had 653 total yards of offense, 8 TD's and only 1 INT
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

If I may offer some perspective, Utah St is better than their 1-4 going into the game suggested. Those 4 were Montana State(4-1), Montana(5-1), Missouri St & Colorado St.

Not that they looked like world beaters(neither did APSU), but they also played atleast two FCS playoff teams and Colorado St can play too(UT had a decent showing against them).

That's not to say don't make any changes, just don't mail it in for the season. After all, we only get a dozen of these games every year if we're lucky.

Personally, we're just not consistent enough on offense and I think that comes down to playcalling and strategy. The defense appears better than last year, and it takes a while for a defense to gel with a new playcaller(like seasons).

I can also see what the coaches like about Maurer the past two weeks, but I'd still see if we can snag a good transfer to compete going into next season. Maurer should continue to improve, but we need depth and with so many transfers nowadays wouldn't hurt to try to snag someone.

I appreciate the optimism, and the amazing "yeah, but our opponent is actually not terrible" spin.

That said, there is very little anyone can do to convince me that the SFA team we watched tonight has any ability to beat any team that's at least decent.

The teams we've beaten are 4-12 this year. (Alcorn with 3 of them)

I think AT BEST we finish 6-5, which is failed season.

TheRevSFA
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

I appreciate the optimism, and the amazing "yeah, but our opponent is actually not terrible" spin.

That said, there is very little anyone can do to convince me that the SFA team we watched tonight has any ability to beat any team that's at least decent.

If you look at the schedule, SFA has their work cut out for them. They still have UCA, SUU, EKU, and ACU. All of these teams have the ability to beat SFA and it's a matter of if SFA can adjust to beat them.

5-6 isn't out of the realm of possibility with the schedule left. The UAC is probably the most middle loaded conference and any team can basically beat up any other
sfajack05
SFASawmillGuy said:

You still show up to play because you're representing the school and town. You show up to play because you love the game and want to keep playing and fighting to win every game. No matter what's at stake.

So pretty much the same thing the team has been doing for the last 20+ years?

Kinda getting old at this point.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

I'm mystified by our defense. They look so dominant against lower tier opponents. Against middle tier competition, we look lost at time. The edge blocking by Utah Tech was good, but not that good. We just couldn't break through.
SFAXE93
That 3rd and 23 in the 4th with about 2:00 minutes to go was the dagger.

SFA being down 24-30 and you are thinking alright we are about to get the ball back as Utah Tech had pretty much conceded that series of downs needing 23 yards for the 1st, playing it safe, as they just ran a play with a run up the middle to set up the punt, but instead actually converting with a 36 yard gain.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Williams was the player of the game.

229 total yards of offense (147 rushing/82 passing) 3 TD's at 9 yards per play

Mauer with his second straight 3+ TD game, 297 total yards, no INT's

In his last two games Mauer has had 653 total yards of offense, 8 TD's and only 1 INT

Thanks for that little bit of positivity amongst all of the (deserved) doom and gloom, 93.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

It's not offered so much for optimism as perspective.

6-5 being a failed season is new for SFA outside of basically 2 coaches in the late 80s/early 90s.

I've thought we needed changes on the offensive side since atleast last year. That feels the most likely to take us from where we are, to regular 8-3, 9-2 seasons.

We have rebuilt the talent in most positions to get there, but now we've got to get over the hump. I think a change at OC, or maybe just upgrading the OC brain trust could get us there.
RedRiverLa
Having talent is one thing, knowing what to do with it is the whole ballgame. That's why I think it's time we give Debbie Humphries a shot at OC.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
I don't think 6-5 is a failed season. (We're obviously not there yet, but 6 wins seems realistic.) But there has been a hype train around Carthel's program from the beginning that has us competing regularly in the playoffs and possibly vying for a championship. 6-5 is a failure from that perspective.

I like Carthel and I think he has changed the dynamic around the program. He's invested in the students, college and community. He has set up the ability for the special players to get legitimate shots at going pro. But, he has not (for I think a myriad of reasons) not been able to deliver consistent wins and playoff runs yet.

Personally (as football isn't my only fandom), I'm okay with that. But I haven't thought that SFA's football program has ever been deserving of the hype outside a very brief time in my childhood.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

Having talent is one thing, knowing what to do with it is the whole ballgame. That's why I think it's time we give Debbie Humphries a shot at OC.

I'm not sure she could fit all of the plays on that little folder that she carries around.
TheRevSFA
It's time for an OC change. We aren't running a creative scheme that utilizes the talent we have
BigJack85
Not able to push through a touchdown when we were 1st in goal at the 6yard line??? Ya. That hurt.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I don't think 6-5 is a failed season. (We're obviously not there yet, but 6 wins seems realistic.) But there has been a hype train around Carthel's program from the beginning that has us competing regularly in the playoffs and possibly vying for a championship. 6-5 is a failure from that perspective.

I like Carthel and I think he has changed the dynamic around the program. He's invested in the students, college and community. He has set up the ability for the special players to get legitimate shots at going pro. But, he has not (for I think a myriad of reasons) not been able to deliver consistent wins and playoff runs yet.

Personally (as football isn't my only fandom), I'm okay with that. But I haven't thought that SFA's football program has ever been deserving of the hype outside a very brief time in my childhood.

I agree with your comments.

If we got Carthel, a little better facilities, we would probably get better recruits AND retain the better players we already have.

Facilities are a big part of what is holding SFA back from making that leap. From credible league member to title contender.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

I'm not sure she could fit all of the plays on that little folder that she carries around.

Lol. She would if she just puts the good ones we have and eliminates the 35+ ones we have to get a 1 yard gain on 4th and 3.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
I have full confidence that Debbie would always call the touchdown play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.