WEEK 6: UTAH TECH

8,992 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

(RV) SFA (3-2; 0-1) VS. UTAH TECH (1-4; 0-0)

WHEN: Oct. 7, 2023 (Sat.) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: St. George, Utah (Greater Zion Stadium)
TV: ESPN+

SERIES 1-1-0

L 2022 - UTAH TECH:47; SFA:44 (Home)
W 2021 - SFA:37; UTAH TECH:20 (Away)

The Trailblazers of Utah Tech have been blazing this 2023 season, through one of the most brutal schedules in the FCS.

In week one it was at #3 Montana State (20-63), the following week back home for #13 Montana (13-43), then on to three straight road games against Northern Arizona (50-36), Missouri State (14-59), and Mountain West member Colorado State (20-41).

Standing at 1-4 Utah Tech braces for the Lumberjacks of SFA in only their 2nd home game of the season.

A very battle tested Utah Tech competed very well in their last contest going against Colorado State, where the Trailblazers were only down 17-21 at the half and 20-27 going into the 4th quarter before conceding 2 late Ram TD's.

The offense is lead by junior QB #16 Tracy Kobe 6-4; 195 who completed 21 passes for 185 yards and 2 TD's and 1 INT against CSU.

Kobe's favorite targets are Freshman wide out #11 Beau Sparks 5-11; 180 who has 349 yards off of 30 catches and 3 scores. On the other side of the field you have senior receiver #1 Rickie Johnson 6-3; 202 with 25 catches for 280 yards and 2 TD's.

The running game is lead by 5th year senior #32 Ronnie Walker Jr. 5-10; 210 who for the season has 277 yards (4.1 average) and 2 TD's.

The offense averages 342 yards a game (5.2 a play) 103 rushing (4.0 per rush) and 239 passing (6.0 per pass) for 23 points a game.

On the defensive side of the ball the Trailblazers have sophomore LB #7 Jared Fotu 6-0; 230 who leads the team in tackles with 42 and on the defensive front watch out for big 6-4; 260 junior #3 Syrus Webster who has 39 tackles 6.0 TFL 2 sacks and 2 FF.

As a unit the defense gives up 48 points a game, 230 yards rushing and 317 passing a game.

Already in a hole early in this inaugural UAC season, the Lumberjacks with #25 Central Arkansas (2-0); Tarleton State (1-0) and Eastern Kentucky (1-0) on the horizon, the Jacks look to make up some ground in the UAC, starting this Saturday, in the mountains of Utah, where they hope to begin this climb back to the top of the UAC standings.

Axe'Em
nacluth
This may be the make or break for a .500+ year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Very winnable game. Just follow the cliche's limit mistakes, turnovers and big plays.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Very winnable game. Just follow the cliche's limit mistakes, turnovers and big plays.

Should be. The play calling is very aggressive (see INT b4 1/2 time vs AM Commerce. If we can tweak the play calling a little, the sky is the limit. Commerce wasn't as bad as we made them look on that wheel route in the 3rd to blow it wide open. The receivers seemed to be jelling w/ Mauer and Weeks. My expectations have increased. Don't let me down Lumberjack offense.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That's a fair point Big Jack. The play calling seems to have opened up a bit more this season. Yes still too many flanker screens but they have allowed Maurer more downfield passing and Williams has 3 receiving TDs out of backfield. Glad to see some different pass patterns opening up.......wonder why we didn't do that with Self?
2 very strong running backs if we can get the lanes to open a bit. Very few sacks on our QBs so far this season.
Defense has held up well so far. Big plays still bite us in the butt 2 or 3 times a game but beyond that have been steady.
We have committed very few penalties in our 5 games. Carthel's staff has done a good job with penalty reduction. I remember years past where 14-15 penalties a game was common for us.
Kickoff coverage has been a bit spotty with too many returns to the 30 and beyond.

We are far from NDSU territory but so far this year have looked pretty good. Of course we should be 4-1 but that's history. Now we must travel well and take care of Utah Tech cause things get much tougher from there on.
SFASawmillGuy
Commerce has a good defense, at least better than their numbers say, so to see what Maurer and company was able to do against them was very impressive.

Utah Tech is a complete unknown they played 2 really good quarters against Colorado State and took down a solid NAU team, but other than that they've shown zero offense against very good opponents. Defensively they've looked suspect all season. This should be another game Maurer can build some confidence with, especially going to the stripes next week against the conference favorites.
MasterAxe
Just play the last play of the 2022 game on loop.

That should be just about all the motivation needed.
SFAXE93
Ljacks&Longnecks
No Wimbley tonight----He is banged up according to UT announcers.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Tech marches 75 yards quite easily for early 7-0 lead.
Jyank24
Really conservative play calling after we saw some explosiveness last week
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yep....20 yard gain on pass, then 3 straight runs up the middle is questionable.
Jyank24
Also, another game production that blows ours out of the water
RedRiverLa
The breakout season for this team under the current leadership has yet to happen like I thought it would, We're good and solid and always have potential, but I just don't see anything resembling a special year happening soon. Long way to go in this road game, but they aren't scared of us.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Jyank24
Defense with a Huge Sack!!!
SFASawmillGuy
Great job by our defensive line, just bullied there way to the QB.
SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa said:

The breakout season for this team under the current leadership has yet to happen like I thought it would, We're good and solid and always have potential, but I just don't see anything resembling a special year happening soon. Long way to go in this road game, but they aren't scared of us.

I can't imagine it's easy to recruit in St. George. For one you're competing with BYU and Utah as well as all the midwest FCS powers. I haven't looked, but I'm sure most of their roster is local.
Jyank24
We look flat, need some energy, another Big Defensive play needed
RedRiverLa
SFASawmillGuy said:

RedRiverLa said:

I can't imagine it's easy to recruit in St. George. For one you're competing with BYU and Utah as well as all the midwest FCS powers. I haven't looked, but I'm sure most of their roster is local.
I'm sure that's true, but we're mostly local to Texas - of course, that should always give us the edge with all the Lone Star talent.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA88
#32 Ronnie Walker embarrassed some of the Jack DBs.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Offense really looks bad. Play calling and execution are both terrible so far.
SFA Jack Fanatic
After one quarter we have 29 yards of offense.
Jyank24
Explosive Run!!! Williams showing out
nacluth
Good running play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great run!
SFASawmillGuy
We have a 3 headed monster in the backfield with Maurer, Wimbley, and Williams! Screw it. Let's go military academy triple option.
Ljacks&Longnecks
That's one way to wake up the offense!!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jarvis with the tackle on the kickoff team.
SFA88
SFASawmillGuy said:

RedRiverLa said:

Probably Utah 1 California 2 Nevada 3 and then all over.
Jyank24
We get a PI call for legs getting tangled…They mug us and no call
Ljacks&Longnecks
Inexcusable move by Maurer....Stupid play

Chew his ass Carthel
Jyank24
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Inexcusable move by Maurer....Stupid play

I liked it, fire up this offense
SFASawmillGuy
Yeah it was a stupid penalty. But Brian is firing these dudes up. A trash talking QB can be fun(as long as he backs it up)
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nope, no excuse for stupidity.

Maurer's hyper competitiveness is great and can fire up the offense as long as he keeps his head.
MasterAxe
Our 4th down play calling is about as original as the 4 plays you got in Techmo Bowl

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.