2022 Season

51,119 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jacks4460
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Bummer
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Seeing some new names

OL: KRIS LYON 6-7; 335 China Spring, Texas (China Spring)
OL: AARON CASTRO 6-2; 310 Hutto, Texas (Hutto/Texas Tech)
OL: WILL THOMPSON ?
SFAXE93
No longer on the roster

CB:#14 RODNEY JOHNSON 6-2; 195 (R/FR.)
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFA gets NAIA Warner (never heard of them) who just started back up their football program from 2018, to play in the Sun Conference.

This will get ugly fast
BigJack85
ACU X2. Not as bad as I thought. Don't know who Warner University is.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

SFA gets NAIA Warner (never heard of them) who just started up their football program to play in the Sun Conference.

This will get ugly fast
Definitely an upgrade over Lamar though.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

ACU X2. Not as bad as I thought. Don't know who Warner University is.
I was really hoping for SFA vs Sam twice with one in Nac, but I'll take this.
PurpleOut
Staff
Gross. But at least it's done and got filled.
SFAXE93
Looking over the Warner roster, and well, does the SFA score board go to triple digits?
Jacks4460
It will be really ugly even with our 3's playing 3/4 of the game... Atleast some Fr. will get some game time work..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

It will be really ugly even with our 3's playing 3/4 of the game... Atleast some Fr. will get some game time work..

I just don't want anyone to get hurt.
SFAXE93
We get a nice poster out of it!

We want WARNER!

SFASawmillGuy
There's so many players under200 pounds on that roster…our defense is gonna feast.
SFAXE93
stat stacker game

Just run the play clock down every play, and buck that line.

They had a pretty good team back in 2016 (started their program in 2013), going 8-2 (their only winning season) and played Division I Stetson that season close, losing only 15-30.

BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

There's so many players under200 pounds on that roster…our defense is gonna feast.

Hopefully our starters get a couple of reps. Get the rest of the roster some plying time. Including some freshmen.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just realized all of the dates are different now. Homecoming is now October 29th and November 5th is bye.

Glad we already made travel plans for all of this.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Just realized all of the dates are different now. Homecoming is now October 29th and November 5th is bye.

I hope they get a pound of flesh from Lamar for this bs.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

I hope they get a pound of flesh from Lamar for this bs.

Pretty F'ing low rent.

My big picture analysis of the move to the WAC goes kind of like this:

1. Moving to the WAC was (and is) 75% built around the sports of Mens Basketball and to a lesser extent Womens Basketball. The move to the WAC has already proved to be a solid basketball move. Grade +++

2. The benefits for all the other sports of note (W Soccer, W Volleyball and T&F) should also be meaningful. Grade + ++

3. Moving to the WAC has exposed us as poser's in baseball and both mens and womens golf. Grade - -

4. Softball has been a success for the 4 or 5 years. To me this is more of a question of, can success be maintained. We would probably be a conference favorite in the SLC next year. Not in the WAC. There are at least 3 WSB programs that have strong returning squads that could finish above SFA. Grade +

4. Football is certainly a disappointment from a WAC perspective. With Sam and Lamar leaving the conference, the conference has lost a perennial power (yes Sam fans, I admit that you've been the standard bearer) and a nice geographic fit in Lamar. Despite the lack of competitiveness, Lamar's proximity and potential to be really good made the move back to the SLC a negative. UIW on the hand brings almost zero to the table. (Despite my love of "River Walk" margaritas.

Football Grade - TBD ( could be good, might be a disaster.

Overall Grade of The move to the WAC - The move gives SFA better national exposure and the respect that comes with being part of a conference that is ranked #14 in a number credible ranking platforms(MBB) Since this move was sold as primarily a basketball move I'm inclined to rate/GRADE the move in total as a ++
SFAJack_76
I'm generally aligned 85, except it didn't take a conference change to see that baseball, and both golf programs are bad.

I like what is happening in tennis. Only had one senior, and have added some talent.

Also, our second place softball team returns essentially everybody. Bruister has the potential to be like a Carthel/Kellogg D2 to D1 success. It will be interesting to see how that transition goes.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I'm generally aligned 85, except it didn't take a conference change to see that baseball, and both golf programs are bad.

I like what is happening in tennis. Only had one senior, and have added some talent.

Also, our second place softball team returns essentially everybody. Bruister has the potential to be like a Carthel/Kellogg D2 to D1 success. It will be interesting to see how that transition goes.

Glad you added the details. My other framing of the big picture would be: Facilities - Football fieldhouse and baseball facility (on campus) are the areas of need, that with investment would make an enormously positive impact
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
I hear this young man is going to be special.

RB: JERRELL WIMBLEY 5-11; 190 (Fr.) Houston, Texas (C.E. King/SFA)
Offers from SFA, Nevada, Sam Houston State, UIW, Lamar, HBU, Texas Southern, Columbia, Darthmouth, Howard Payne

KATY - ATT:9;YDS:46;TD:0
SHADOW CREEK - ATT:29;YDS:323;TD:5
SOUTH HOUSTON - ATT:13;YDS:171;TD:3
HUMBLE - ATT:7;YDS:97;TD:1
WEST BROOK - ATT:21;YDS:112;TD:1
SUMMER CREEK - ATT:22;YDS:248;TD:2
KINGWOOD - ATT:14;YDS:111;TD:2
HUNTSVILLE - ATT:14;YDS:113;TD:2
RIDGE POINT - ATT:27;YDS:154;TD:2
STRAKE JESUIT - ATT:21;YDS:270;TD:3
CYPRESS FALLS - ATT:11;YDS:203;TD:2
SHADOW CREEK - ATT:23;YDS:116;TD:2
CHANNELVIEW - ATT:14;YDS:251;TD:3
HUMBLE - ATT:19;YDS:135;TD:2
WEST BROOK - ATT:14;YDS:130;TD:1
NORTH SHORE - ATT:15;YDS:42;TD:0
ATASCOCITA - ATT:24;YDS:182;TD:1
SUMMER CREEK - ATT:23;YDS:170;TD:3
KINGWOOD - ATT:21;YDS:254;TD:4
RIDGE POINT - ATT:20;YDS:187;TD:1
STRAKE JESUIT - ATT:14;YDS:153;TD:1
CYPRESS FALLS - ATT:18;YDS:154;TD:2

G:22;ATT:393;YDS:3,622;AVG:9.2;TD:43 (YPG:164) <JUNIOR & SENIOR SEASONS>

LA PORTE - ATT:2;YDS:8;TD:0
STERLING - ATT:19;YDS:72;TD:0
CHANNELVIEW - ATT:9;YDS:82;TD:1
BEAUMONT UNITED - ATT:4;YDS:13;TD:0
NORTH SHORE - ATT:7;YDS:37;TD:0
WEST BROOK - ATT:4;YDS:63;TD:0
CLEAR BROOK- ATT:11;YDS:63;TD:1
MAGNOLIA WEST- ATT:5;YDS:39;TD:1
PORTOR - ATT:7;YDS:19;TD:0

G:30;ATT:461;YDS:4,018;AVG:9.0;TD:46 <CAREER>

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Offers from SFA, Nevada, Sam Houston State, UIW, Lamar, HBU, Texas Southern, Columbia, Darthmouth, Howard Payne

Agree! 4460 said several times that he was very impressive during Spring football. (If 4460 says it, it must be true.)
BigJack85
If read the article correctly, the first contest (October 8th) against ACU is considered non-conference. That makes the away game at ACU,
Potentially Huge.
SFAXE93
Doesn't matter, the Jacks are going whip them both times
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Doesn't matter, the Jacks are going whip them both times

Yes sir!! We will play this season week by week.. Put all our energy into that week and whomever we are playing..
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAXE93 said:

Agree! 4460 said several times that he was very impressive during Spring football. (If 4460 says it, it must be true.)

Yep take it to the bank true..
SFAJack_76
11. Chris Campos, K - Stephen F. Austin

Chris Campos improved greatly on what was a rocky 2020-21 season. While serving as SFA's kicker last fall, Campos connected on 20 of his 24 field goal attempts and did not miss a single PAT (49-for-49). He had two games where he made three field goals including a heroic performance in Week 2 when the Lumberjacks nearly upset Texas Tech. He nailed a 53-yarder against Dixie State (Utah Tech) in Week 8 and accounted for 109 points. SFA is a hot pick to make a run this season. With Campos kicking the ball, it's a very real possibility.

SFAXE93
BigJack85
I made the trip over to the Marriott Waterway for the WAC presser. A few observations:

1. Xavier Gipson is a very well put together person. He had thought through some of the questions and his answers were succinct and on target
2. Brevin Randle is also another example of Carthel's focus on accountability. I must have heard the word 15 times.
3. They sound ready to go. Almost impatient.
4. 10-1 11-0 is not out of the question.

One other thing. Talked to a guy from UTRGV. They are really excited about football. Really excited.
SFASawmillGuy
Any loss this year would be a headscratcher. Outside of LA Tech, and only because they're FBS, we should be the favorite in every regular season game we play. Even the mighty Bearkats just don't have the firepower across the board that we do.
Biggest thing will be injuries and consistency. If we come out the gate with the Trae Self we got in the second half of the season and the defense we had all year we will be unstoppable
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.