2022 Season

51,240 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jacks4460
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bobino will be a good one.
BigJack85
Dennis Osagiede going into the transfer portal. Tell me no.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Dennis Osagiede going into the transfer portal. Tell me no.
BigJack85
Transfer portal is complete chaos for college athletics.
SFAXE93
WOW! the season hasn't even started yet and the defense has taken a major hit on the line.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

I have to ask the question... Does anyone think that the NCAA will admit that they made a monstrous mistake with the portal thing and try to stop the bleeding before the patient dies, or is the damage to amateur athletics already too much to even try to overcome at this point?? It appears to me that there are very few people other than the students who actually support what they've done.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I have to ask the question... Does anyone think that the NCAA will admit that they made a monstrous mistake with the portal thing and try to stop the bleeding before the patient dies, or is the damage to amateur athletics already too much to even try to overcome at this point?? It appears to me that there are very few people other than the students who actually support what they've done.
I mean this is who it's all for, the student athletes. If they're happy being able to search for a better fit, that's what the purpose of the whole NCAA is.

And sure, there's a little bit of chaos in the short term, but I don't think this will last forever. In a few years we'll probably be back to a "more normal" transfer levels bc the shine will have worn off of jumping again and again.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I mean this is who it's all for, the student athletes. If they're happy being able to search for a better fit, that's what the purpose of the whole NCAA is.

And sure, there's a little bit of chaos in the short term, but I don't think this will last forever. In a few years we'll probably be back to a "more normal" transfer levels bc the shine will have worn off of jumping again and again.
And, the free Covid year will be gone. For example, Visscher would not be playing college basketball anywhere next season. Of course, neither would Aiyana or Roti.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I rarely disagree with you, Texan, but we're in different worlds on this one.
SFAXE93
Yes it's their life to do as they wish, I get it, but it sure is frustrating to see so many jump ship, before that ship comes in.

SFAJack_76
The deadline to enter the transfer portal and not have to sit a year has passed, and one minute later:
KATatonic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Disappointing if only 4 home games. The Classic is really a JSU home game. So this team will need to live up to the hype and expectations with so many road games.
Of course if SFA takes care of business on the road, could mean 2 or 3 home playoff games!!
Go ahead and beat the crap out of JSU for us. Every time we played them they were punks. Good luck on your upcoming season...except for the BOTPW. I see you guys are getting some top 10 buzz...even though we have been bitter rivals for many years, I will be hoping you represent Texas and compete at the top of the FCS. I'm going to to miss the excitement of the playoffs.
Jacks4460
Thanks KAT we will..
SFAXE93
Sure glad to hear this!

PurpleOut
Staff
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85
Geez. Portal. I believe the portal works ok for Power 5 schools. The rest, I'm not sure.
SFAXE93
Well he had an inside track to TCU.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Well he had an inside track to TCU.

Wish he would of followed JMac to LA Tech and then he would of been stuck there with no JMac.. It's ok we want players that want to be at SFASU and on our team if they don't want that then they need to jump in the portal and find a home..
SFASawmillGuy
The transfer portal is rough for any college football team outside of the "thoroughbreds" of the game. It'll be harder for smaller teams to build consistent success as long as their best players can move on to "better opportunities".

I could see it being okay for bench players who really have no hope of starting in their current situation, but if I'm an nfl scout, players jumping into the transfer portal for their final season would be a massive red flag.
sfajack05
If a coach can leave at anytime why can't a player? Some of these players establish relationships with these coaches and if they want to follow them then let them.

For most these players these are their last years to play football so let them be happy and somewhere they want to be. If they want to transfer to three or four times who cares.

Just my two cents.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfajack05 said:

If a coach can leave at anytime why can't a player? Some of these players establish relationships with these coaches and if they want to follow them then let them.

For most these players these are their last years to play football so let them be happy and somewhere they want to be. If they want to transfer to three or four times who cares.

Just my two cents.
There are just too many different situations now, and I'm not sure if there will ever be a fix. I still agree with you in that kids should be able to leave if A) it's not a good fit, or B) their coach leaves early on.

The difference now though is that kids are leaving because they can get paid elsewhere. The difference between coaches and players is that coaches are professional employees and college students are not.

So some of our players that have left for LaTech or bigger FBS schools, awesome for them. That's a better opportunity all day, as long as they get the playing time. But the other stories out there where kids are getting legitimate $1M+ offers to transfer, absolutely insane.

I think it's just ruining the taste of college athletics that we've all grown to love.

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfajack05 said:

Just my two cents.
TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! The transfer portal (and being able to literally pay players to transfer via NIL money flowing in from big school alumni) is destroying collegiate sports for everyone except the Power Five schools. The NCAA has never implemented anything this unfair in their history. The people who are now running (and ruining) the NCAA are just empty suits kneeling at the throne of big school Presidents and AD's. Like most things in life, it's all about the money and the "haves and have nots". The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

You may be happy about SFA's best players transferring simply for hopes of fast money, but I am not!! There was a time when getting a college education and degree were the most important thing for student athletes. That idea is slowly disappearing. The long term importance of obtaining a degree to benefit these students for the rest of their lives once their four years are gone is becoming secondary to the (sometimes unreal) lure of fast money.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

Just my two cents.
TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! The transfer portal (and being able to literally pay players to transfer via NIL money flowing in from big school alumni) is destroying collegiate sports for everyone except the Power Five schools. The NCAA has never implemented anything this unfair in their history. The people who are now running (and ruining) the NCAA are just empty suits kneeling at the throne of big school Presidents and AD's. Like most things in life, it's all about the money and the "haves and have nots". The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

You may be happy about SFA's best players transferring simply for hopes of fast money, but I am not!! There was a time when getting a college education and degree were the most important thing for student athletes. That idea is slowly disappearing. The long term importance of obtaining a degree to benefit these students for the rest of their lives once their four years are gone is becoming secondary to the (sometimes unreal) lure of fast money.
This is not the first time these players are getting paid. It's just the first time it's happening above the table.

This is what the NCAA has always been, big schools over small ones, profits over people.

We've got schools spending 3x what SFA's endowment is on new basketball stadiums. College sports was never fair and the money was always effed up. I'm not gonna pretend I'm mad that the athletes now have a better and more transparent way to cash in off of it.
Texasheli
I have to say I kind of liked it better when it was under the table. Now the benefit to above the board payments is the IRS gets their share of it. It also makes it more prevalent in the sport I feel than if it is under the table. Your on the fence guys are more likely to throw money at players through the NIL. It is legal and no fear of getting the school you support penalize should it be uncovered. As it is legal you cannot blame someone for leveraging their talent in the market place

Also I feel that some of the goodwill these player are given as student athletes will subside. When they are paid major money to come and don't produce, then some will feel more free to treat them like professional athletes. I expect to see more negative comments on boards and social media.

For me the signing class excitement is gone. The process now has a one and done feel to it. The anticipation of a teams growth and depth from year to year is gone. As a coach I would be less likely to go after developmental players. If you can only expect one year of service, then shop the transfer portal every year for possible instant impact if you can attract them. This may make it harder on the that high school player that needs development prior to getting playing time. You invest in them and they leave at the point they are ready to play. Why put time into them if you can shop the portal for more experience impact players.

There was a certain amount of romance to the amateur college athlete that in my opinion will suffer as it is currently structured.

Buckytaylor
NOW also consider the move to uncap the number of coaches from 10 to infinity. Small budget schools will find it hard pressed to pay a good position coach the amount equivalent as the bigger schools. Fact we have a great staff that have landed in Nacogdoches only because of the log jam of 10 assistants we have seen for decades. This and the portal and nil will eliminate the fcs and then devour group 5
Jacks4460
Yep FCS is history and the super conference will totally devour group 5..
SFAXE93
Dennis Osagiede to Liberty

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Brady is suppose to be big time, can't wait to see him on the field in 2022.

Jacks4460
i have been saying that alot.. You will see him make some plays this year but next year he will be a dominant type of player.. Was recruited by some big SEC and Big 12 schools... Needed some growing up to do but I feel he is on the right path.. Just one of those dudes that will explode then the Transfer Portal will be calling...
SFAXE93
Yes sir, he had a very impressive list of offers.

At 6-3; 200 we are talking Tamrick Pace size.

SFA
Mississippi
Arkansas
Cincinnati
Houston
Arizona
UCF
Louisiana
San Diego State
Texas State
UTSA
Tulane
Wyoming
North Texas
Louisiana Tech
Kansas
Liberty
Uconn
UNLV
Illinois State
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sounds about right. Knock off a few teams to start the season and they'll move up quickly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.