WEEK 2: #7 TARLETON STATE

37,666 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Attendance was only 8,334?

Seemed like more than that.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

BugJack85 I know you love your Jacks don't give up buddy...We are gonna take some ass whippings but please think positive.. I can appreciate your fire and desire to want our team to be good..

Still lost but recalibrating this morning. I won't say all is lost but that thing last night did not give me loads of confidence......

Let's see how we do against SUU.

Big Jack thanks for the recalibration.. That's good stuff we need you on our side..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Buckytaylor said:

What a bunch of whiney @55es! We've got 65 schollys to TSU 32. We should have no problem, should've got Whitten, we're outcoached, we're tired of losing, why didn't we buy out the game. Really boys? Really? TSU is a good football team and they have 2 nfl receivers and a qb that's in his 6 th yr of eligibility. They have seasoned skill positions. You boys have slept on your watch at SFA, of your 65 scholarship athletes 30 are true freshmen and 17 are out forever with injuries or most importantly eligibility issues that occurred way before your coaching staff arrived. (Shame on us for letting that happen) The remainder are last years players. And a no win situation with TSU on the schedule, you entitled jokers wanna through money at the competition so you can play Texas Wesleyan and get a win. Those young men that are fighting for SFA learned where they were at their craft that might not have been seen with lame opponents. So although your game programs indicate an easy win, in all reality you were out manned and just too naive to realize it. D2 schools march to a different set of rules than D1, if TSU does get drawn into D1 their talent will probably get pulled off the bus too. GIVE these boys a chance at SFA it's a process that'll take more than a season, in the meantime let's get behind instead of running away cuz we ain't winning AGAIN. In these piney woods we are supposedly blue collar roll up your sleeves and get to work folks. Not entitled snots

Axe em

Wow. Well said! Buckytaylor is my Sawmiller of the Day!
nacluth
SFAXE93 said:

Attendance was only 8,334?

Seemed like more than that.

I didn't attend because I had family in town, but driving around campus and seeing the parking lots, that seems right. Even my wife said that it seemed light. More than a sell out basketball game, but could be more.
SfaFan15
Carthel has an uphill battle on his hands and has done everything right so far. He sounds like a fan favorite and has gotten the school and fan based hyped up.

Now with that being said, last night was the worst SFA football game I have ever seen. If Carthel is a championship caliber coach then Whitten and staff are going to be up there with Saban.

I'm not going to draw any conclusions yet but last night was a very embarrassing night for SFA and I do think Carthel has some explaining to do. Defense was physically dominated and Trae Self was absolutely petrified to put the football down the field, but to his credit our playbook last night was pulled out of Madden 18.

Our kicker is going to put up some serious fantasy points this year though.
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

Red,

I'm plenty knowledgeable about football and I'm watching it from 40 feet away..... and I hate that bull**** that I don't know what I'm talking about. The corner that gave up that touch down had 3 options to prevent a score in the last 45 seconds. He didn't exercise any of them because he thought "he had the interception ". Poor coaching and even poorer decisions on behalf of the corner.

Be honest with yourself if your going to criticize me about giving up a TD when there was NO REASON for us to be in that formation.

Not going to argue with your frustration on the play. their #88 senior who can play at any level and was touted as power 5 talent, schooled our freshman who was in the right position but played it like one of the many freshman on the field at the time and made the bad choice. Reminds me of my Saints against Minnesota two years ago on the last play where he had as many choices and blew it, and that wasn't a 18 year old kid, and that coach will be a hall of famer. As we saw throughout the game, 88 tore us up no matter what the coverage was, the RB tore us up when we stacked the box and couldn't stop him from getting to the second level, where he outran everyone even if we were there. Their top 1/3 scholarship upperclassmen starting players are better than our top 1/3 scholarship starting players. That's the previous coaches fault. So the only 'right' coverage was one that put our player in the right position, he, like all of our dbs didn't have the skill level yet to pull it off and yet the same coverage 2 plays earlier was successful. I don't believe I mentioned you as not knowledgeable, but more of a general statement focused beyond you at those who who are now trashing the program. So, as a general statement not toward you, It's just tiring that after 6 quarters, a coach and staff who said we were very young and would struggle this year, who asked for patience , who lost our top db, qb, and wr and who have the top recruiting class that will take at least two years to pay off, that half this board is already filled with 'sawholes' coming out of the woodwork trashing them, the program, the staff, and the players. Does anyone think that if we played the Texans last year we wouldn't have lost by 20 or more? I bet it did suck at 40 feet away, I was 150 feet away and it sucked, I hate losing especially to a d2 team regardless of where they are ranked, people will see that score and laugh, and it validates why we were picked at the bottom of the conference. But I did get to see the bigger picture from my vantage point and it wasn't as negative 6 quarters in. And I've seen a lot of negative quarters from my seats.

Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

A flanker screen that works! You seeing this Ron?

I got so excited I went and celebrated with a small marble slab cup of ice cream! What more proof does anyone need that the program is going in the right direction! I'd love to send the film to Gary Crowton with a note that says, 'see, it can work if you don't run it on every down and in the right situation'
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAXE93
We are playing without...

Tamrick Pace (Sr.)
Jamall Shaw (Sr.)
Collin Lagarde (Sr.)
Daniel Brewer (Sr.)
Rayshad Nicholls (Jr.)
Larron Cox (Jr.)
Aretavious Hendrix (Sr.)
Jake Blumrick (Sr.)
Alize Ward (Sr.)
RedRiverLa
Buckytaylor said:

What a bunch of whiney @55es! We've got 65 schollys to TSU 32. We should have no problem, should've got Whitten, we're outcoached, we're tired of losing, why didn't we buy out the game. Really boys? Really? TSU is a good football team and they have 2 nfl receivers and a qb that's in his 6 th yr of eligibility. They have seasoned skill positions. You boys have slept on your watch at SFA, of your 65 scholarship athletes 30 are true freshmen and 17 are out forever with injuries or most importantly eligibility issues that occurred way before your coaching staff arrived. (Shame on us for letting that happen) The remainder are last years players. And a no win situation with TSU on the schedule, you entitled jokers wanna through money at the competition so you can play Texas Wesleyan and get a win. Those young men that are fighting for SFA learned where they were at their craft that might not have been seen with lame opponents. So although your game programs indicate an easy win, in all reality you were out manned and just too naive to realize it. D2 schools march to a different set of rules than D1, if TSU does get drawn into D1 their talent will probably get pulled off the bus too. GIVE these boys a chance at SFA it's a process that'll take more than a season, in the meantime let's get behind instead of running away cuz we ain't winning AGAIN. In these piney woods we are supposedly blue collar roll up your sleeves and get to work folks. Not entitled snots

Axe em

Winner of the chicken dinner.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
So, I'm going to throw a curve question here as there's a lot of passionate discourse, but it's all within the family. From last nights game against the Texans, can anyone give or did anyone get a report about how the game experience was from those fancy storage units on the north end? A great idea that looked awesome - just curious about the experience.
Lumberjack Battalion
drhuggybear
8k in attendance? That's surprising. It looked like there were more there than that. Purple haze section was 80% full. I haven't ever seen that before.

Interesting.

Have a great Sunday all.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
drhuggybear said:

8k in attendance? That's surprising. It looked like there were more there than that. Purple haze section was 80% full. I haven't ever seen that before.

Interesting.

Have a great Sunday all.
Agree. I fully expected attendance to be in the 10,000 range. Tarleton had a big crowd there in addition to what you saw in the student section.
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

So, I'm going to throw a curve question here as there's a lot of passionate discourse, but it's all within the family. From last nights game against the Texans, can anyone give or did anyone get a report about how the game experience was from those fancy storage units on the north end? A great idea that looked awesome - just curious about the experience.
We were at the Alumni Association unit due to our Sustaining Life membership contribution. It was a very positive experience. The Alumni Association had a staff member there making sure we were fed and watered. The porta-cooler was quite welcomed. Certainly a different view of a game than I have ever had. We a had very painful view of the hole that opened on that 99 yard run. You could have driven the proverbial Mack truck through it. Like so many of the other changes, like parking, it will take a bit to smooth out the wrinkles. Athletic department staff was very visible making sure things were going well. Overall, good.
sfajack05
First game to attend in a couple years.

The department is doing good with the in game experience. Much improved than when I was there. Purple Haze actually stood for the game and made noise throughout unlike basketball (that's a different thread for another day). Still hate the track around the field but can't change that.

Didn't get to visit tailgate so not sure how that was but did get signed up for the alumni association so was in that tent for a little bit. Only took me about 10 years.

While it was disappointing that the Jacks lost I'm not ready to give up on them. There were some positives but also a lot of negatives. Both lines need to improve. We couldn't stop the run and couldn't get a consistent push or pass protection. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) we have three freshmen starting on the offensive line. Definitely missing Pace and our deep threat. The Jacks were able to drive the ball but unfortunately stalled. Get four touchdowns instead of field goals and we aren't having this conversation. Hell even two touchdowns instead of field goals we win.

Anyways unfortunately we will not be winning many games this season but I just want to see improvement game to game.
Jacks4460
RedRiverLa said:

They were awsome Red... The closeness to the field is great and before that 99 yd run we were yelling and such from the rails which was really cool for the 30 seconds..Up top was a nice view especially when it was on the north endzone.. Bathrooms were nice we had running water and fridge... Grille was pretty good and the misters were spot on when the sun was out.. We all enjoyed it and TSU Ath Director and some of there Alum came to our suite and were impressed and is getting ahold of BoxLife for next year..I really enjoyed it.. That damn 99yd run took the wind out of me tho..
SFAJack_76
Well, not the worst SFA football game I have ever seen at Homer Bryce. That would have been 77-7 in 1976. That, my friends, is what what brutal looks like. Giving up the big plays was the most disappointing part of this game. Cut those down, get a couple of TD's rather than FG's, and you have a real game. But, that didn't happen and we got soundly beat by a very athletic and talented team.

Those declaring we missed by not hiring Whitten seem to ignore he was fired from Sam after going 25-28 in five seasons. I appreciate what he accomplished as our QB, but as far as coaching, he seems to have found where he can have the most success. By the way, his first two years back at Tarleton, he was 11-12. Perhaps turning a program around takes time.

With a rather limited sample size, I don't believe that Carthel engages in much coach speak. When he said we might only win three or four games this season, I don't think he was blowing smoke. When he said Tarleton would have some of the best talent we will see all season, I don't believe he was attempting to build up what wasn't there. He could have loaded up the team with D1 and Juco transfers. Instead, he said the they are going to build the program up for long term results, and recruited the #3 FCS class in the country. There will be growing pains. To condemn him and his staff at this stage of the process is extremely short sighted in my opinion.

I don't know the win/loss record for the balance of the season. I am confident the young guys will get better. I believe we will get Legarde back by mid season. I hope we get Pace back soon. (Come on NCAA!) What I do know, is that this young team, and a coaching staff that is working to build a program we will all be proud of, don't need to hear and read some of the things that were written last night. Commenting on the weaknesses and errors is appropriate. They know last night was not good. I saw it in their faces when they were coming off the field. Until proven wrong, I will chose to build up rather than tear down.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Carthel clearly stated upon being hired that we were going to take some lumps and that it would take time to build this team up. That's the reality of the situation and it was an ugly reality last night.

On defense we must somehow avoid the big plays that killed us last night. At one point in the first half Tarleton was 0-6 on 3rd down conversions yet still in the game due to big runs. Then came the TD pass right before half...some want to blame the freshman DB but I put that one squarely on the coaching staff....why would you call a timeout on 3rd and 3 with 36 seconds left in the half and we had no timeouts left after that one. Even if you forced them to punt we didn't have time to move the ball.....let the clock run down and we go to half up by 6.

Very concerned here with Self's passing accuracy. I only saw a couple of dropped passes last night but saw many overthrows and misses.Too many missed opportunities to continue drives or score in red zone.

O line is still a concern this year. Running back Ward was an A+ sign. He will be one of our top threats all year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

before that 99 yd run we were yelling and such from the rails which was really cool for the 30 seconds..

Had to laugh at this.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

drhuggybear said:

Interesting.

Have a great Sunday all.
Agree. I fully expected attendance to be in the 10,000 range. Tarleton had a big crowd there in addition to what you saw in the student section.

I went down to the Purple Haze section. That was the absolute highlight of my evening. They were awesome. Best student section in 30 years. By far. That was a real positive.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Definitley winner of the boards!

Watched the game on TV last nite and V and I actually noted improvement from last year's team. We were actually in it & just a couple plays away from the score being flipped.

To put things in perspective, we walked out of the Piney Woods game last yr. First game (at any level) I have walked out of ever. I would not have walked out during last night's game.

Imma be Positive Patty this season for FB as Carthel rebuilds. Love the things he is doing off the field with the team, too. (Liam story, for example).
Pilotgirl
Meanwhile, did any of you at the game see this?? As a former band mom, I would be outraged.

65tosspowertrap
Well said. Watched game from Dripping Springs (outside Austin) and I saw a team that is going to play some ugly games this season, and it's just going to take our patience and some forbearance. I suggest it's a little early to make judgments on the coaching hire. We are SFA folks, known for avoiding hysterics after one poor performance.

"It is calm self-possession in confronting the necessary fits and starts, obstacles and delays that are part and parcel of achieving anything worthwhile." -- John Wooden

O Future Bright, for the Purple and White,
CM
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
65tosspowertrap
Watched game from Dripping Springs (outside Austin) and I saw a team that is going to play some ugly games this season, and it's just going to take our patience and some forbearance. I suggest it's a little early to make judgments on the coaching hire. We are SFA folks, known for avoiding categorical condemnation after one poor performance.

"It is calm self-possession in confronting the necessary fits and starts, obstacles and delays that are part and parcel of achieving anything worthwhile." -- John Wooden

CM

BigJack85
Good advice ,,,,, Some of us (mainly me) had a meltdown after we gave up that 60 yarder on 3rd down. I took some quaaludes. I'm better now. LOL. JK.
SFAXE93
I always find it best not to have access to the internet when angry or frustrated.

The way I look at it is, it's not like we have had any great success lately, (6 out of 7 losing seasons, 4 head coaches, a dozen OC) so if it is being done right, from the ground up, what's a few more seasons until it comes together when these players are juniors and seniors, bigger and battle tested.

2012: 5-6
2013: 3-9
2014: 8-5
2015: 4-7
2016: 5-6
2017: 4-7
2018: 2-8
2019: 0-2

Run the course
65tosspowertrap
BigJack85,

Here's my favorite prescriptiion:

Six-pack of Fireman's 4 and a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 (Toro)

Regards,
CM

BigJack85
65tosspowertrap said:

BigJack85,

Regards,
CM

Power trap,

I like your thinking Also someone said access to the internet while frustrated is not a good thing. True dat. I think I'll swear off Sawmill forums unless we are winning,,,, That might be a better approach on my behalf. I still say, Axe 'Em Jacks. Even after swallowing that bitter pill.
65tosspowertrap
Please don't do that. Good to correspond with fellow alums. Been too long since I had connection with place that means so much to me.

65tosspowertrap
Watched game from Dripping Springs (outside Austin) and I saw a team that is going to play some ugly games this season, and it's just going to take our patience and some forbearance. I suggest it's a little early to make judgments on the coaching hire. We are SFA folks, known for avoiding categorical condemnation after one poor performance.

CM

SFAXE93
MasterAxe
Look at it this way:

We can't beat a big D1 school and we can't beat a good D2 school.

We play neither the rest of the year.

And SUU doesn't appear to be all that good.
PurpleOut
Staff
Didn't get to see any of the game, but I think the stats speak for themselves.

I hope everyone has calmed down a little. I understanding losing to Tarleton State shouldn't be an option, and I agree, but I think we have to remember what we're playing with. The amount of inexperience out there is tough, the experience that we did bring back that would be contributing is now mostly suspended or injured. I don't think there's too much to harp on for this season, and that was before we lost to a D2 school. We knew it was going to be really hard, so let's not act like we didn't see this coming. Let's just get through the year and support everyone the best way we can.

Saw a ton of pics and videos from the new endzone suites, everything seems very positive. Looks like a great experience.
PurpleOut
Staff
Oh, and the Tarleton State assistant coach incident definitely needs to go viral. Absolutely no room for that, anywhere.

SFAXE93
Yes these are some pics I'm seeing from Twitter of the field suites.

Every Lumberjack fan should experience them at least once.

drhuggybear
BigJack85 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

BigJack85,

Regards,
CM

Power trap,

I like your thinking Also someone said access to the internet while frustrated is not a good thing. True dat. I think I'll swear off Sawmill forums unless we are winning,,,, That might be a better approach on my behalf. I still say, Axe 'Em Jacks. Even after swallowing that bitter pill.
I actually enjoy the "in game" forum conversations.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.