WEEK 2: #7 TARLETON STATE

38,259 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
Dbrooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I agree with you about the three touchdown plays. Those were unacceptable, but take that out and what do you have? For the circumstances, I think they played a solid first half. The run game is better from last season, the pass game is better from last season and they're making more plays. It's a long grind, but I was impressed. Only thing I hated was the three long touchdown plays.
drhuggybear
The first half has had its share of ups and downs. I won't disagree. The big plays have to be stopped. The defense has missed some big plays that have given Tarelton the lead again. But I will say in the 2 years we have been coming to games, I haven't seen a crowd this large. The fans are into it and things are looking up. Last year we wouldn't even be in this game. Are we there yet? No but there is a HUGE improvement on the on field product. Sitting in front of us is the parents of one of the QB. He and I have both been commenting about the night and day difference between last year and this year.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
BigJack85
I ALWAYS give is the benefit of the doubt but this is looking like ANOTHER 1 -10 season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
drhuggybear said:

The first half has had its share of ups and downs. I won't disagree. The big plays have to be stopped. The defense has missed some big plays that have given Tarelton the lead again. But I will say in the 2 years we have been coming to games, I haven't seen a crowd this large. The fans are into it and things are looking up. Last year we wouldn't even be in this game. Are we there yet? No but there is a HUGE improvement on the on field product. Sitting in front of us is the parents of one of the QB. He and I have both been commenting about the night and day difference between last year and this year.

I've been to Lumberjack games for 41 years. They won't be into it for long if we lose tonight. And Carthel seems like a great guy but losing to Tarleton will put him back a year and frankly Ivey should have ate the contract with Tarleton and played East Texas Baptist. Losing to a GREAT D2 team has no marquee. At all. We might come back and win but again. As great as they are and they are coached by a Lumberjack that we wouldn't hire. We have to get past this BS. It's just crap.
nacluth
A flanker screen that works! You seeing this Ron?
nacluth
Efficient until the red zone, but back on top.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'll take that bet Bigjack.name your price.

And as my wife can attest from the other side of the house, I have been pissed 3 times this game but improvement and change is not instant but by year's end and over the next few years, you will be singing a different tune.
Would think giving up after a game and a half is a bit silly for lack of a better term.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

And as my wife can attest from the other side of the house, I have been pissed 3 times this game but improvement and change is not instant but by year's end and over the next few years, you will be singing a different tune.
Would think giving up after a game and a half is a bit silly for lack of a better term.

What's the bet. I'll take it. We are getting punked by a team with one solid guy. We suck. No excuse. None. Bring it on. I'll Venmo the dough.
MasterAxe
I'm not a football expert, but one team looks vastly superior at the skill positions.

And it ain't the home team.
BigJack85
Has Matt Storm made 1. 1. That's 1 call on a big 3rd down. NO. NO. NO. not one.
Dbrooks
Staff
Red zone offense and red zone defense has been terrible tonight with the exception of McGowen's touchdown run.
nacluth
How do you get a penalty for holding and get the same down and distance? That was bizarre.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Give it to me. Give it to me. Again. We are getting punked. Politically correct term. We are looking like a JV squad against a team with...... Again Lumberjack fans a team with 1/2 the scholarships. 1/2. 1/2. They are beating us at wvery facit of the the game. Every..... up front. Defensive backfield. Especially on the flanks. Especially. Look. I'm like everyone else on the board. I'd love to see real progress. It's just not happening. Losing to a D2 squad is not acceptable.
drhuggybear
I will admit I am new to SFA Football. This is our third year coming to games. But this is the first competitive game I have seen since we have been coming.
Yes we have seen them win before but coming into this game the consensus was we were going to lose. They are still in this game.
Do they have improvements to make? Sure but this team is vastly different than what I saw under Conque or Byrd.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
BigJack85
The missed tackles are EXACTLY the same as Conque's squads. Exactly. Just please please please hold on to someone.

Even there punter is SIGNIFICANTLY better than us.
MasterAxe
TSU has 492 yards of offense with 4:00 in 3rd.

They're likely gonna hang 550-600 yards on us.

Woof.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

TSU has 492 yards of offense with 4:00 in 3rd.

They're likely gonna hang 550-600 yards on us.

Woof.

You make a great point. We frankly suck. We just suck and soccer should be an option unless we are going to schedule more liberally I just watched Trae throw one 6 yards past the reciever.
Dbrooks
Staff
Can't knock Storm's contribution to the game tonight. He's 4-4 on field goals and has single-handedly kept SFA within striking distance all throughout the night.
TheRevSFA
Definitely frustrating to watch
BigJack85
Dbrooks said:

Can't knock Storm's contribution to the game tonight. He's 4-4 on field goals and has single-handedly kept SFA within striking distance all throughout the night.

I'm talking about MATT STORM. The coach. His play calling totally sucks.
MasterAxe
Update: TSU now at an even 500 yards.
AxeEm99
Throwing the same pass to the corner endzone that did not work the previous 5 times is not smart play calling either on 3rd down! Just get the first down!!!
BigJack85
I've been watching this crap for 40 years and to get pushed around by a D2 squad tells me all I need to know. And SFA needs to decide if they are in the "American" football business. And it is a business. We could have hired Tarletons coach's couple of times. He's an SFA alum but we are to high falutin. We don't care enough about football as an institution. We don't period.
nacluth
Nice turnover on downs.
Dbrooks
Staff

Oh yes I knew who you were talking about. I meant the kicker Storm Ruiz. He's been big tonight. Matt Storm the coach on the other hand has wet the bed numerous times yes I agree.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Nice turnover on downs.
. Then the worst play calling along with an OLine that couldn't keep Nacogdoches Dragons JV squad out.
MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

I've been watching this crap for 40 years and to get pushed around by a D2 squad tells me all I need to know. And SFA needs to decide if they are in the "American" football business. And it is a business. We could have hired Tarletons coach's couple of times. He's an SFA alum but we are to high falutin. We don't care enough about football as an institution. We don't period.

Even I think this is quite the overreaction
nacluth
Midwestern State destroys Northwestern St. So at least it could be worse.
BigJack85
Tarleton has wanted into this conference for years. I'd say they belong. Frankly the brain trust at the SLC office along with the presidents that thought adding UIW and there vaunted Swimming program was a good add. None of this makes sense to me on top of the fact that we are on the launch pad every 4 years With another **** ball defensive coordinator
MasterAxe
Our defensive theory of leaving #88 in single coverage seems less than ideal.
BigJack85
We suck. Period. Another 4 year plan. Bull. Bull. And I don't care what anyone says this defense is atrocious. Atrocious. Awful. Bad. El sucko. Despicable. Really. If I'm Carthel I make a change tomorrow. Enough with the flowers and butterflies.
AxeEm99
Very true BigJack85! We suck!
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

We suck. Period. Another 4 year plan. Bull. Bull. And I don't care what anyone says this defense is atrocious. Atrocious. Awful. Bad. El sucko. Despicable. Really. If I'm Carthel I make a change tomorrow. Enough with the flowers and butterflies.

Not going to flame nor engage with you. Serious question though, why are you here?
nacluth
Self 13-32 right now. Need about 8-9 on this drive.
nacluth
Now 2-2 and moving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.