WEEK 2: #7 TARLETON STATE

37,657 Views | 193 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93
KirkHeath12
How does the tailgate crowd look?
Class of 2012
Axe Em
Dbrooks
Staff
I went down to th practice field to observe the team before they take the field for warmups.

Tamrick Pace was in street clothes and he didn't look happy about it at all. So I assume he will be inactive for today's game.
nacluth
Rats.
SFAJack_76
Dbrooks said:

I went down to th practice field to observe the team before they take the field for warmups.

Tamrick Pace was in street clothes and he didn't look happy about it at all. So I assume he will be inactive for today's game.

Nobody that was out last week is playing this week
Dbrooks
Staff
I looked him right in the eye. He look so defeated. I pray that whatever is hindering him from getting back on the field will be solved real soon. He's a unique talent and a great person period.
Dbrooks
Staff
I figured that, but it seemed apparent that Pace would suit up today, but obviously he's not. I know he had eligibility issues, but I believe it's a little more to it based on the way he's been acting.
MasterAxe
My first home game in years. Gotta say, the pre-game is hype. Very well done.

Unfortunately, TSU scores in 25 seconds.

So yeah.
nacluth
What a way to start.
drhuggybear
I am guessing Nikki Wallace isn't supporting first downs anymore. We have had 2 so far with no calls.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
nacluth
It only counts when you're ahead of a D2 team.
drhuggybear
First touchdown of the Carthel Era is in the books!!!

7-7.
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
nacluth
Here we go!
SFAJack_76
I saw two touchdowns in Waco last Saturday.
MasterAxe
Tarleton runs a dive for 99 yards.

They're basically Alabama.
drhuggybear
Oops. Forgot about those

Sigh. 99 yard TD run
Jeff
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
Dbrooks said:

I figured that, but it seemed apparent that Pace would suit up today, but obviously he's not. I know he had eligibility issues, but I believe it's a little more to it based on the way he's been acting.

It is eligibility. It is waiting on the NCAA, and the uncertainty of when that will happen. That is the current frustration.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well we got a badly needed quick answer to the 99 yarder.
Now just need some adjustments to the rushing defense.
MasterAxe
We have no answer for the TSU big WR, #88.

He is eating our CB alive.
nacluth
Would be nice to close this with points.
Dbrooks
Staff
If the defense can hold Tarleton scoreless this last 1:15 it''ll be a huge momentum boost going into the half. SFA will get the ball at the start of the 3rd quarter.
nacluth
To put a point on it, Self's accuracy seems variable. I bet it's a small mechanical issue or maybe just excitement, but he can look really good and then throw some real ducks. We're about 10-14 points back for not getting near open receivers this game.

No real complaint or gripe. I think he's a good starter - just looking forward to see his growth.
nacluth
Ouch
Ljacks&Longnecks
Guess I would have to say that the SFA timeout with 33 seconds was not a good call.
#88 is a beast.
MasterAxe
MasterAxe said:

We have no answer for the TSU big WR, #88.

He is eating our CB alive.

I'm quoting my own post.

He's an absolute beast and he's killing us, we have no one who can cover him. We're totally outmatched.
BigJack85
Matt Storm might need to find a defensive coordinator..... oops. He's the defensive coordinator. This defense looks like total f ing dog ****. I'm sure that plenty of Carthel cheerleaders will pipe up but that is complete crap. We should not be giving up a 70 yard TD in the last play of the quarter. That is purenout in out POOR COACHING. PERIOD. I do not see much improvement over the Conque era. Go ahead and fire away Jack fanatic and others. I'm watching this crap first hand and it's awful. Awful. No excuses PERIOD for that last play. And that is 100% putting the kids in the right position.

Can I be more angry. NO. its just crap. The SFA MOTTO. NEXT YEAR.........................
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
All three scores from ultra long range. 48, 99, 63. We need Quick to give them some shorter fields.
Dbrooks
Staff
My first half thoughts:

Self is a solid QB. He's missed some throws, but he's also made throws the receivers have to capitalize on. I thought De'Leon Ward and Josh McGowen ran real hard during the first half and made plays when their name was called. Furthermore, the SFA defense has to stop giving up these home-run plays. All three of the Texans touchdowns came from 40 yards or more. The long run and the two deep passes were three plays that shouldn't have happened. Besides those plays, Tarleton has really been limited for the most part. Also, J.F. Thomas is killing the SFA secondary. Scott Power has to make him a top priority for adjustment during the break.

Overall, SFA scored 20 first-half points against the #7 ranked team in Division II Football. That's not bad at all. The offense is much improved.

Your thoughts?
BigJack85
Go ahead and blame it on Alize Ward not being out there. That was crap and number 33 that was covering the big boy is not even close to up to the task. I could have taken that play at 21 and I'd be glad to show. Our coaching is not improving. I don't see it. 2 games.......... sure. But that was a joke. A total joke.
BigJack85
Completely disagree. Totally. Are our expectations to be competitive against a D2 squad that has 33 scholarship player vs out 65????? Really
RedRiverLa
Throw in a top 10 d2 team and slightly unrealistic expectations and you get what we are seeing. Silver lining? Once Tarleton gets inside our 50 they can't score. Patience, if anyone thought this was going to be walk they aren't knowledgeable about football.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
Dbrooks said:

My first half thoughts:

Self is a solid QB. He's missed some throws, but he's also made throws the receivers have to capitalize on. I thought De'Leon Ward and Josh McGowen ran real hard during the first half and made plays when their name was called. Furthermore, the SFA defense has to stop giving up these home-run plays. All three of the Texans touchdowns came from 40 yards or more. The long run and the two deep passes were three plays that shouldn't have happened. Besides those plays, Tarleton has really been limited for the most part. Also, J.F. Thomas is killing the SFA secondary. Scott Power has to make him a top priority for adjustment during the break.

Overall, SFA scored 20 first-half points against the #7 ranked team in Division II Football. That's not bad at all. The offense is much improved.

Your thoughts?

Completely agree. Has nothing to do with number of scholarships, and everything to do with the talent and experience of 11 on the field at the time.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
AxeEm99
BigJack85, it is very frustrating to watch AGAIN this year! The one thing that Tarleton has that we dont is stability in the coaching staff. That is where the difference lies. SFA has run the Head Coach merry go round for the last 20+ years. It is going to take another couple of years minimum to begin to get consistency. Carthel will bring it eventually, but I like you am SICK of it!
BigJack85
Red,

I'm plenty knowledgeable about football and I'm watching it from 40 feet away..... and I hate that bull**** that I don't know what I'm talking about. The corner that gave up that touch down had 3 options to prevent a score in the last 45 seconds. He didn't exercise any of them because he thought "he had the interception ". Poor coaching and even poorer decisions on behalf of the corner.

Be honest with yourself if your going to criticize me about giving up a TD when there was NO REASON for us to be in that formation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.