New Football Staff

53,713 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RedRiverLa said:

Any word on who the 'get back' and 'wardrobe malfunction' coach is going to be?
SFAJack_76
OL coach. Played at ACU. Coached last two years at Madison High.

SFAXE93

Kenny Guiton Outside Receivers

https://uhcougars.com/coaches.aspx?rc=362&path=football

https://twitter.com/CoachGuiton?lang=en
TallTexan
I feel like we have an G5 level staff now. We'll see if it translates, but a good mix of proven guys and up and comers that you don't see on the average FCS staff.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I feel like we have an G5 level staff now. We'll see if it translates, but a good mix of proven guys and up and comers that you don't see on the average FCS staff.
A lot of young, high energy, hungry guys. Should be fun.
JackBacker1
New Sawmill fan here. I just want to know where all the money to hire all these guys is coming from? Seems like we have more staffers than ever before and I have not heard about the budget increasing.
TallTexan
JackBacker1 said:

New Sawmill fan here. I just want to know where all the money to hire all these guys is coming from? Seems like we have more staffers than ever before and I have not heard about the budget increasing.

We're only allowed 10 assistants per NCAA rules. So likely as many as always, but I do feel like we have 25 guys on staff right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
JackBacker1 said:

Welcome to the Forums, Backer1! Always great to read posts from "new blood".
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Curious if anyone's heard of Jeff Byrd landed anywhere. I thought he handled a tough situation as best as anyone could
Has anyone heard of any of the previous staff getting a job?
Apparently old news, but Kevin Barbay is the Assistant HC/WR coach at Central Michigan.
SFAJack_76
Not new but just posted.

SFAJack_76
This!

SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

Curious if anyone's heard of Jeff Byrd landed anywhere. I thought he handled a tough situation as best as anyone could
Has anyone heard of any of the previous staff getting a job?
Apparently old news, but Kevin Barbay is the Assistant HC/WR coach at Central Michigan.

He seemed overwhelmed being an assistant OC here but okay. Maybe this will be a good fit.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
We don't have a RB coach do we?
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Who needs a RB. 5 wide receivers every play. We'll run the Oopty Oop. Mississippi Valley State averages 40 points per game with that offense you know.
TallTexan
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Coach Vigil is working with the RB's
SFAJack_76
"The sky is the limit."
SFAJack_76

Well, he did last longer than Kelly.

SFAXE93
Just imagine what it will be like holding on to coaches once we start winning.
nacluth
You know I could use a nice promotion. Do you think Carthel would hire me as the WR coach for a couple of weeks until I could get picked up by a FBS school?
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Just imagine what it will be like holding on to coaches once we start winning.

Who knew that we needed to put buyouts into our WR contracts?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

You know I could use a nice promotion. Do you think Carthel would hire me as the WR coach for a couple of weeks until I could get picked up by a FBS school?

Just send in your resume to Carthel.
PurpleOut
Staff
This is ridiculous.
Jacks4460
Guys go look to see what they are paying some of these assistant coaches... then you would see why they are jumping ship to somewhere else... Some are getting good $$ and some aren't..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Guys go look to see what they are paying some of these assistant coaches... then you would see why they are jumping ship to somewhere else... Some are getting good $$ and some aren't..

I mean, I get that it's a pay bump, but it's not like they're jumping to the Big 12. Pay is likely better in the Sunbelt, but it's not that big I'd guess.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

I mean, I get that it's a pay bump, but it's not like they're jumping to the Big 12. Pay is likely better in the Sunbelt, but it's not that big I'd guess.
I would say a 15-20K bump from what SFA was paying him... from 45-55 SFA was paying to something like 60-75..
TallTexan
Definitely not inconsequential. Looks like Louisiana Tech may even make more than that. I was thinking they were Sunbelt, but looks like they're CUSA.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Definitely not inconsequential. Looks like Louisiana Tech may even make more than that. I was thinking they were Sunbelt, but looks like they're CUSA.
True..... I bet CUSA are in the 80-120 range for positional coaches..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

True..... I bet CUSA are in the 80-120 range for positional coaches..
Haven't found anything up to date, but it looks like $90-110k is about right for a position coach
Ljacks&Longnecks
While I understand the search for more money, some of us older guys tend to believe that when you give your word and sign on to a job maybe a little commitment is in order but that seems to be a lost value these days.
I trust Carthel will fill the void quickly
SFAJack_76
I certainly qualify as an older guy and understand. If a young man has a chance for a lateral move that increases his salary by 70% or so, I can't blame him. This all points out some need to increase the assistant pay pool. There are more important financial needs right now, but it will have to be addressed at some point.
TallTexan
Yep, I definitely qualify in the younger mindset, and I'll straight up tell you that while I'm winning to bet 10k of salary on a winning boss, I likely wouldn't bet 50k on a job at this point in my career.

FWIW, I think Carthel's staff is going to produce some winners while the Ark State & LA Tech might not. But doubling your salary at this point in your career is not trivial.
SFAXE93
David Leake at Texas State looks to be on board for the WR job.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

David Leake at Texas State looks to be on board for the WR job.
That's an umm, interesting hire. I'm not going to doubt Carthel after the last two dudes he hired for the position, but it almost looks like Nacluth just barely missed out on getting his shot at an FBS stepping stone job lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.