New Football Staff

53,682 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello everyone,

Since we all know who the new HC is... the next obvious questions are around his new staff. Therefore, I took the info from the tail end of the Colby thread and started a new one so that we can discuss the new hires as they are announced.

Therefore, I will get started.

The Staff so far..

Colby Carthel Head Coach (Angelo State 2000) 1st Season
Matt Storm Offensive Coordinator (East Central Univ.) 1st Season
Scott Power Defensive Coorinator (IUPUI) 1st Season
Jared May Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (Hardin-Simmons 2005) 1st Season
Caid Faske Defensive Line Coach (West Texas A&M 2014) 1st Season

Offensive Line Coach ????? Anyone have any ideas or heard more? I saw the Bio on the OL coach at Commerce. I know there are some OL coaches out there that have gotten Colby's number to try and make contact, but so far nothing official.

Also, when do we expect the new staff to be added to the SFAJACKS.com I have already read their commerce bios. Just want to see them in SFA colors.
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAXE93
Kevin Bleil Quarterback Coach at UNK.

Looks like we have two QB coaches, so will have to see who moves to what.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Not doubting you, but I have not seen anything on any media. Curious what your source is.

SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

Hello everyone,

Since we all know who the new HC is... the next obvious questions are around his new staff. Therefore, I took the info from the tail end of the Colby thread and started a new one so that we can discuss the new hires as they are announced.

Therefore, I will get started.

The Staff so far..

Colby Carthel Head Coach (Angelo State 2000) 1st Season
Matt Storm Offensive Coordinator (East Central Univ.) 1st Season
Scott Power Defensive Coorinator (IUPUI) 1st Season
Jared May Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (Hardin-Simmons 2005) 1st Season
Caid Faske Defensive Line Coach (West Texas A&M 2014) 1st Season

Offensive Line Coach ????? Anyone have any ideas or heard more? I saw the Bio on the OL coach at Commerce. I know there are some OL coaches out there that have gotten Colby's number to try and make contact, but so far nothing official.

Also, when do we expect the new staff to be added to the SFAJACKS.com I have already read their commerce bios. Just want to see them in SFA colors.
I wonder if others on the Commerce staff are waiting to see what happens with their new HC? Since we got both OC and DC, there may be a promotion opportunity that is more attractive than position coach at SFA. Perhaps HS coaches still in the playoffs?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Not doubting you, but I have not seen anything on any media. Curious what your source is.

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Can we have two QB coaches and two Oline coaches and just let the WRs wing it lol?
SFAJack_76
Thanks. You went deep to find that one.
HitSomeBody
I can't think off hand what other teams out there have two OB coaches. Would a QB coach make a good OL coach? Just wondering if Colby is going to get both at SFA and then divide up the assignments so one gets OB and other gets OL. Seems like you would want an OL coach who understands the mental side of the bigger boys. They are different in a lot of ways from position players.

I want someone that has some proven success with offensive lines.
Axe'Em Jacks
HitSomeBody
It's no secret our OL was a problem this past year. I'm not bashing our boys or coaches. The formula to make a great OL had wholes all in it which showed in the statistics of our OL. I believe a good formula is

1. Nutrition
2. Strength
3. Agility
4. Lineman brotherhood

Get all of those in place and you will have a line that can keep a QB calm and upright. Think of them as a tire on a car. A car needs all four tires to go. If one is off, or flat then the car does not go. Get all four just right and your car goes just fine.

We need a OL coach that can lead our boys to success in these areas. Otherwise, we can hire 10 QB coaches and it does us no good since they wont be able to stay upright and play the game.
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

I can't think off hand what other teams out there have two OB coaches. Would a QB coach make a good OL coach? Just wondering if Colby is going to get both at SFA and then divide up the assignments so one gets OB and other gets OL. Seems like you would want an OL coach who understands the mental side of the bigger boys. They are different in a lot of ways from position players.

I want someone that has some proven success with offensive lines.
I don't see either having any OL experience. Probably one is QB and one is WR.

We must have a quality, experienced OL coach.
TallTexan
That'd be my guess as well. One would be QB, the other WRs or inside WRs depending on how many guys you have. Could also put one as a special teams, TE, or RB coach.

But ya, I'd say we've got have an experienced OLine coach.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

That'd be my guess as well. One would be QB, the other WRs or inside WRs depending on how many guys you have. Could also put one as a special teams, TE, or RB coach.

But ya, I'd say we've got have an experienced OLine coach.
May is the QB coach... Way to close with Coach Carthel and look at what he has produced... Beil will be a WR or RB coach I bet...
SFAXE93

SFAJack_76
Apparently, T Bleil is still on the Commerce staff.

TallTexan
Probably staying in Commerce for a promotion.
SFAJack_76
Brian Natkin, @coach_B_Natkin, has SFA O line coach on his twitter profile.

He is being followed by the four announced assistants.

Various profiles.

https://utepathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=70

http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/coaches/Brian_Natkin?view=bio

https://msumustangs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=5&path=football

UTEP has been tough. Interesting story.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/college/utep/2017/09/19/new-offensive-coordinator-brian-natkin-brings-energy-uteps-offensive-equation/682395001/
TallTexan
Thanks for sharing 76. Looks like a good fit, he was a TE, high energy, experienced coach and they said that Midwestern team had 9 sacks 1 season I think.

Maybe HitSomebody can opine further.
SFA Jack Fanatic
He is also a former consensus All American at UTEP, so he probably knows a little bit about football.
HitSomeBody
On the OL coach hire... He has experience and has been in the shoes of offensive lines at all levels. Coach Colby is a driven, intense coach so I'd suspect Natkins is of the same cloth. I'm going to have to wait and see with the rest of us how our OL produces next year. For now, I'm not doing the oh what a feeling...Toyota jump.
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76

@coachjohnsSFA - Twitter.

Link to his profile at UMD.

https://umdbulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=449&path=football
TallTexan
Interesting hire for Safeties coach. Minnesota guy. We're going to have to assign him his own personal waterjug for August practice.

Love that Carthel is using the FCS level position to do some upgrades to his previous staff and go out and get some successful coaches.
SFAJack_76
And, Kevin Bleil.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Interesting hire for Safeties coach. Minnesota guy. We're going to have to assign him his own personal waterjug for August practice.

Love that Carthel is using the FCS level position to do some upgrades to his previous staff and go out and get some successful coaches.
Apparently, he made a good impression on Power when they were both at Central Washington.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Apparently, he made a good impression on Power when they were both at Central Washington.
Gotcha, now that would make a lot of sense on how we picked him up.

I was thinking, there's got to be a connection somewhere right?
TallTexan
By my count, that makes 8 total coaches. So 2 or 3 to go?

Spitballing here, but a RB coach, LB coach, CB coach left?

Does Carthel typically coach a position group?
SFAXE93
Freddie Banks CB Coach

Coming over from Midwestern State
https://msumustangs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=531&path=football
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Freddie Banks CB Coach

Coming over from Midwestern State
https://msumustangs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=531&path=football
I like this hire. Southland experience, his CBs seem to have played well at MSU & Nicholls.

And this:
Quote:

Banks enjoyed a solid playing career culminating with three years at powerhouse North Dakota State (2008-10) after playing his freshman season at NCAA Division II Mercyhurst (Pa.) in 2006
TallTexan
Banks' Twitter:
https://twitter.com/FBANKS1313
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

With Banks, RB and LB are the two obvious gaps. Somebody has to pick up special teams.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

With Banks, RB and LB are the two obvious gaps. Somebody has to pick up special teams.
Yep I figure that'll be somebody's secondary focus. I guess it could be fair to assume that either Storm or Powers will coach a position. Orlando at UT is also the Linebacker's coach.

Is Strength and Condition coach a thing on the FCS level?
Jacks4460
Texan it will be for Carthel.. He will have his own S&C Coach..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Glad to hear that. Such an important position. That's the one guy who can be more involved during the summer, and is usually the hype/energy guy on Saturdays.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Ideas on what other non-coach roles they will have? The A&M-Commerce staff was loaded with QC and analyst types.
TallTexan
I'd imagine Pop Carthel is coming along as an analyst.

Would be nice to have a recruiting coordinator/analyst.
sfajack05
Need a get back coach and a jumps up and down waving the towel coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.