2017-2018 College Hoops

37,603 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
#1 Seed Middle Tennessee falls to Southern Miss. Joe Lunardi still has them in his Last 4 in
nacluth
Wow! Huge loss. That's like our 2016 team losing in the semis to Corpus. Shocking.
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

#1 Seed Middle Tennessee falls to Southern Miss. Joe Lunardi still has them in his Last 4 in
Just said that knocks Louisville out.
sfa17
I don't know how long middle Tennessee will stay in the "last 4 in" bc it early n more p5 team will lose.
nacluth
#22 Nevada is getting their doors blown off by San Diego State. Wow!

In other shocking news Providence thumped #3 Xavier and probably supposed to be #1 seed today.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
UConn's women put a 140 spot on Saint Francis (PA) today. 140-52. Their next lambs to the slaughter will be Quinnipiac on Monday. Their 140 was an NCAA tournament record, as were their 94 in a half, 55 in a quarter, most assists with 38, and most rebounds with 69.

Methinks that perhaps little ol' Saint Francis should not have been in this tournament......
PurpleOut
Staff
Didn't want to start a separate thread, but you can keep eye on all NCAA hoops transfers here. It's already long and going to get VERY long over the next few weeks.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Didn't want to start a separate thread, but you can keep eye on all NCAA hoops transfers here. It's already long and going to get VERY long over the next few weeks.
183 so far. Recent years have been over 800, so many more to come indeed.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Didn't want to start a separate thread, but you can keep eye on all NCAA hoops transfers here. It's already long and going to get VERY long over the next few weeks.I
I think we're all so interested in a transfer big man that it may be worth it's own thread.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Didn't want to start a separate thread, but you can keep eye on all NCAA hoops transfers here. It's already long and going to get VERY long over the next few weeks.I
I think we're all so interested in a transfer big man that it may be worth it's own thread.

Im so disappointed you've already given up on the conference MVP of 2019 Jovan Grujic
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Im so disappointed you've already given up on the conference MVP of 2019 Jovan Grujic

Given up? No I'm looking for his backup and his replacement after he's a lottery pick next season. Those will be big shoes to fill.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Those will be big shoes to fill.
Well, this part's correct.
No-look
Love me some Gru!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Texas guard Jacob Young, a sophomore, has requested a release from UT. He was a very highly recruited player out of high school. At Texas he was mainly a reserve, averaging 6.2 ppg, but against Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament he hit 6-7 from downtown and scored a career-best 29 points.

YOUNG PLAYED AT YATES HIGH SCHOOL, THE SAME SCHOOL AS FUTURE LUMBERJACKS DEUCE HUGHES AND MITCH SERAILLE. Could he possibly end up at SFA??? Fingers crossed!
PurpleOut
Staff
Oklahoma Sophomores Kameron McGusty (SG) and Jordan Shepherd (PG) are transferring. We recruited McGusty fairly hard for a while.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Oklahoma Sophomores Kameron McGusty (SG) and Jordan Shepherd (PG) are transferring. We recruited McGusty fairly hard for a while.
McGusty is a 6'5" 192 lb shooting guard from Katy. Started 17 games his freshman year at OU but only eight this year. His dad, Kerol, played at SFA '93-'95.

I assume he would have to sit out a year, giving him two years of eligibility to follow Bogues' senior year.
SFAJack_76

Third transfer plus one underclass going pro. Underwood has plenty of opportunity for o remake his roster. Tyler Underwood might get some PT.

Finke is a 6'10", 235 pound forward that averaged 9.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in 25 minutes per game against Big 10 competition.
SFAXE93
Coach Mason is on the case. (The McGusty Case)
cboothe09
Interesting. Unless someone transfers, or we offer a walk-on opportunity, we only have one spot available and two guys that would be nice additions to the team.

Do you add the PG McGusty and shore up the depth in the backcourt, or do you add another big body in Finke that gives us a big that has seen big time competition? Decisions decisions...Remember that both of these guys will walk in wanting to start immediately as well. Who's spot do they take in the lineup?
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Just a generic thread for all hoops talk this year.

I love Brandon Averette.

Brandon Averette to transfer from Oklahoma State.
No-look
Hummmmm...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Several SFA connections mentioned in these transfers. Wonder if we'll see Who's Next happening soon.

And BTW, 09, I'm leaning toward grabbing a Guard, either Averette or McGusty, both with lots of Big 12 experience.
PurpleForever
cboothe09 said:

Interesting. Unless someone transfers, or we offer a walk-on opportunity, we only have one spot available and two guys that would be nice additions to the team.

Do you add the PG McGusty and shore up the depth in the backcourt, or do you add another big body in Finke that gives us a big that has seen big time competition? Decisions decisions...Remember that both of these guys will walk in wanting to start immediately as well. Who's spot do they take in the lineup?

McGusty couldn't play this year so we wouldn't have to worry about that.
PurpleForever
I'm REALLY confused by the Averette transfer. Didn't see that coming. It'll be interesting to see if our staff thinks that next year's team is complete enough to go grab a guy that can't play this year. Or if we need somebody who can make an impact now.
nacluth
I think we're set up for several good years, but I got to think with TJ and Bogues, they feel next year is the year....until next year.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I'm surprised to see him transfer, he had such a good relationship with Boynton and played well. Obviously we never know the full story.

I would take him on my team every day.
SFAJack_76
His minutes really dropped off the last eight games of the season. Ended the season averaging over 20 minutes per game, but not close to that except for 21 the last game against Western Kentucky. Something changed.
sfa17
"Averette played in every game this season, starting six. He averaged 6.3 points and 2.9 assists in 19.9 minutes per game.

He finished his season with one of his best games, putting up 12 points, five assists and no turnovers in the 92-84 loss to Western Kentucky last week. "

Don't know why he is transferring. Got a dream situation when BU left and he was getting decent minutes. I was really happy for him when I saw how good he was doing at Okstate after not getting a single P5 offer. He even had a YouTube video "overlooked" remember watching it when he committed.

sfa17
People on Okstate Forum dont seem to heartbroken about it. Several people saying he is not a BIG 12 player.
Idk maybe they know something we dont since they saw him player regularly and we just saw highlights.

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/brandon-averette-requests-release-to-explore-transferring.245104/

"I wish him the best of luck. We will miss his heart and hustle. But, in my opinion, he is not really a Big 12 point guard.
He would kill it at a UTSA or similar, however.
Good luck, Brandon."

sfa17
5 Star recruit Darius Bazley decommits from Syracuse, becomes first top high school prospect to choose turning professional in the NBA G League.

https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html
TallTexan
To each their own, but I think I'd take flying around with Syracuse & a year of college over the Gleague.
sfa17
maybe it was for academic reasons bc he would get more money overseas, if money was his only goal
cboothe09
Making $26k in G-League. I think he'd make more at Syracuse
sfa17
Interesting article, means absolutely nothing but cool concept.
How much is sfa basketball worth?

"Brewer assesses what every college team would be worth on the open market if it could be bought and sold like a professional franchise. The study analyzes each program's revenues and expenses with cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-basketball-team-worth-1522670400

Sfa #150
2017 valuation 8,129,000
2016 valuation 9,141,000

TallTexan
Villanova is a machine. I hope coach was taking notes to fine tune the purple machine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.