2017-2018 College Hoops

37,634 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA88 said:

I still think Mid-Majors having a conference tourney is the stupidest thing around.
Agree 100%. As has been said here many times, it accomplishes absolutely nothing other than possibly harming the best team in the conference. If anyone has been to an SLC BB tourney you know the conference isn't making beans financially from it, so why have it?!?!
SFA Jack Fanatic
If you think the SLC is weak....

The mighty SWAC is really killing it in non-conference play this year.

Alabama State (0-10)
Mississippi Valley State (0-10)
Texas Southern (0-11) -- No home games played so far this year. They will probably win the conference and be in the Big Dance
Alabama A&M (0-11)
Arkansas Pine Bluff (0-12)

The best record in the conference is Grambling at 4-7
sfa17
want to see a bad schedule. look at Georgetown

vs jacksville -home W
vs mount st mary -home W
vs maryland eastern shore -home W
vs richmond -away W
vs maine -home W
vs coppin state home -home W
vs nort carolina A&T-home W
vs syracuse-home L
vs unt -home W
vs alabama a&m -home W
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

want to see a bad schedule. look at Georgetown

vs jacksville -home W
vs mount st mary -home W
vs maryland eastern shore -home W
vs richmond -away W
vs maine -home W
vs coppin state home -home W
vs nort carolina A&T-home W
vs syracuse-home L
vs unt -home W
vs alabama a&m -home W

And they are getting destroyed on social media for it, rightfully so.
SFA88
edstile said:

SFA88 said:

I still think Mid-Majors having a conference tourney is the stupidest thing around.
Agree 100%. As has been said here many times, it accomplishes absolutely nothing other than possibly harming the best team in the conference. If anyone has been to an SLC BB tourney you know the conference isn't making beans financially from it, so why have it?!?!
Exactly!!

Is it possible they are getting a little ESPN money? I know ESPN likes to show all those conference tourney finals in March. Whatever it is it isn't worth it.
nacluth
Pretty fun game going on right now as Texas Southern (0-11) is tied with TCU (10-0) close to halftime.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
nacluth
Oh well, TCU got tired of playing around and opened up a significant lead to blow the doors off of now 0-12 TSU.
INiedrauer
Staff
In defense of conference tournaments, that's how SFA got those 12 seeds a few years back. When a bunch of teams get upset, new 16 seeds are created and the few regular season champs who take care of business get rewarded.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
Huge upset. Wofford just knocked off defending National Champion North Carolina in Chapell Hill 79-75.
SFASawmillGuy
In defense of Texas Southern's record, it's really deceptive. They play the toughest non conference schedule in the nation, and some of those games they didn't look awful in.
The SWAC earns their money with non conference games. They don't look for wins until it matters.
PurpleOut
Staff
Texas Southern hasn't had a non-conference home game since 2014.
INiedrauer
Staff
Regarding Texas Southern, from Syracuse's game preview:
Quote:

Playing exclusively on the road prior to the start of conference play is the philosophy of Texas Southern coach Mike Davis, the former head man at Indiana and Alabama-Birmingham.

In just five years at Texas Southern, Davis has turned the school's basketball program into a perennial winner in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. He has done that by eschewing the normal recruiting method of bringing in freshmen and leaning heavily on transfers from other NCAA Division I programs. His current roster includes players who began their careers at Auburn, Oregon State, Massachusetts and Wagner in addition to several junior college transfers.

To attract those transfers, Davis operates his low-major program at high-major standards. He schedules games against big-name opponents. The Tigers fly rather than bus to the games. Davis puts the team in 5-star hotels on the road. And the team doesn't eat at cheap buffets or fast-food joints. Davis makes sure the players eat at the hotels where they're staying or at quality restaurants.

But to do all that, Davis needs to make money. Texas Southern's home games are a break-even proposition, so Davis schedules road games. Lots of them.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
I don't really agree with that approach. I mean I get it. But you can only recruit so many players/transfers that will want to play for a winless team that never gets to be home.
PurpleForever
Louisiana Tech's Jalen Harris has just been granted a release. Put up 13 points against us a few weeks ago.
nacluth
I heard they told him they had the best program in a 3 hour radius. He found out they lied.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
LaTech is about to pick up a huge win over Fort Wayne without him. Mastodons beat Indiana by 20 just four days ago.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
Mississippi State upset #22 Arkansas tonight in Starkville, 78-75
PurpleOut
Staff
I watched Tech beat Kansas in Lawrence, the Red Raiders are really good. And, so is Zhaire Smith, sigh.
nacluth
Mississippi St is on the edge of being ranked - especially since the three ranked SEC teams that played tonight all lost.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleForever
LSU almost takes down Kentucky but comes up just short. Waters was cold from behind the arc.
SFASawmillGuy
The last two weeks have been so insane for college basketball. It's like there's shouldn't even be rankings until March because they don't matter at all.
cboothe09
Georgia freaking Tech beats #15 Miami...
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

Georgia freaking Tech beats #15 Miami...
I had money on this one. Thanks Miami.
PurpleOut
Staff
Man, this is rough.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Man, this is rough.

Terrible news. I heard he was battling some sickness & it reminded me of Canete last year. Never thought it would be Leukemia though. Pulling for him.
SFA88
You say you think the officiating in the Southland is bad? In the Arizona State 80 to 77 win over Utah in Salt Lake on Sunday, there were 50 fouls. 50!! ASU had 31 and Utah had 19. The one thing Pac-12 fans can agree on is that the officiating is an adventure. The only good thing is that it is equally bad.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA88 said:

You say you think the officiating in the Southland is bad? In the Arizona State 80 to 77 win over Utah in Salt Lake on Sunday, there were 50 fouls. 50!! ASU had 31 and Utah had 19. The one thing Pac-12 fans can agree on is that the officiating is an adventure. The only good thing is that it is equally bad.
50 is probably almost the average for CBB at this point. There were 51 fouls in our game vs NWST.
cboothe09
PurpleForever said:

Louisiana Tech's Jalen Harris has just been granted a release. Put up 13 points against us a few weeks ago.
And guess who paid a visit to Nac over the weekend.....Hmmm....
PurpleOut
Staff
Should be there right now.

nacluth
Kaspar's Texas State Bobcats have made hay through the bottom half of the Sun Belt. 6-1 to start the year may be fool's gold - kinda like Sam in the SLC. However, TxSt is winning what they need to win to get a decent seed in the Sun Belt tournament. The first real judge is this weekend when they play Louisiana. Virtually no chance for a win (IMO), but if they compete well, people will start believing. Like to see there's still a place for Dannyball in the world.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Like to see there's still a place for Dannyball in the world.
Dannyball made it hard to watch games in person while I was at SFA. But it did rescue us from the bottom of the league, so I can appreciate that.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah same deal to me, better competition, but they're winning. They're also lost a big lead in pretty much all of their conference wins. That won't fly when they play Louisiana and the Georgia schools.

UTA has been a huge let down in the Sun Belt this year.
nacluth
Kaspar's MO is if you have a lead, holding the ball is better than shooting the ball. Limiting possessions keep the other teams from beating you, but he is fine with letting the margin of victory get small. A 10 point lead means he can more than likely burn the last three minutes of a game with virtually no chance the other team will win. I remember him slowing the game to a halt with a 12 point lead with 9 minutes left in a game. Scoring 5 points in the last 10 minutes is ok if you have the lead. He will never blow out competition.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Kaspar's MO is if you have a lead, holding the ball is better than shooting the ball. Limiting possessions keep the other teams from beating you, but he is fine with letting the margin of victory get small. A 10 point lead means he can more than likely burn the last three minutes of a game with virtually no chance the other team will win. I remember him slowing the game to a halt with a 12 point lead with 9 minutes left in a game. Scoring 5 points in the last 10 minutes is ok if you have the lead. He will never blow out competition.
Games when we were ahead were fine, and I'm fine with that approach. It was when we were a few points behind that caused me the most anguish. We never had high firepower teams with Kaspar, so it seemed like clawing out of a hole was tougher.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.