2017-2018 College Hoops

37,134 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Just a generic thread for all hoops talk this year.

I love Brandon Averette.

sfa17
yeah imagine what he could have done at SFA. Happy for the him. Going from being a southland commit to a important role player for a BIG 12 team. I remember when he committed, he had a youtube video talking about how he was underrated. Looks like he was right.

Last season I saw a post on the Okstate forum about how a team like sfa could get a player like him and that he must have fallen through the recruiting cracks.
nacluth
Underwood and Boynton are both 2-0 against inferior teams. Though next week brings them both good challenges. Illinois almost blew a 16 point lead with 3:30 to go against UT Martin who had two good looks to tie it at the end. It will be interesting to see who has the better debut season.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

yeah imagine what he could have done at SFA. Happy for the him. Going from being a southland commit to a important role player for a BIG 12 team. I remember when he committed, he had a youtube video talking about how he was underrated. Looks like he was right.

Last season I saw a post on the Okstate forum about how a team like sfa could get a player like him and that he must have fallen through the recruiting cracks.
Speaking of people who fell through the recruiting cracks, was watching the Texas game and they mentioned that Dylan Osetkowski, 6'9, 245 only had one D1 offer when he graduated high school. Tulane. He went to Tulane and then transferred to Texas.

We need to find more guys like Osetkowski and Averette, who are going to be superstars once they develop. I think that's where Keller will really help is identifying those gems. We've seen it when Keller makes an offer and then everyone else piles on offers and we lose kids to the Blue bloods. At some point though, we're going to find some diamonds that everyone else will refuse to see and we're going to get some steals.
sfa17
UT Arlington playing #25 Alabama strong. They are up 44 -37 in the first. Uta has been leading the whole half. They already BYU at home and last defeated st.marys
PurpleOut
Staff
They should have won that last night. They're good and very fun to watch.
sfa17
yeah. they also beat OU in scrimmage this year. They're the real deal with 8 seniors.
PurpleOut
Staff
This is a great few days. If you love college basketball, these tournaments are must watches.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

This is a great few days. If you love college basketball, these tournaments are must watches.

As a Texas fan, was just looking at the PK80 bracket. Wish Under Armour would put together something similar, because I think SFA would have a good chance to be invited.

Notable UA Schools:
Wichita State
Notre Dame
Maryland
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Cal
UCLA
Utah
Colorado
Auburn
South Carolina
Texas Tech
SFA
PurpleOut
Staff
PK80 was fantastic, one of the best early season tournaments ever. If it wasn't for being on Thanksgiving weekend I would have made the drive down from Seattle.

I'm stealing that idea for a tweet btw, although a few of those schools are no longer using UA.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

PK80 was fantastic, one of the best early season tournaments ever. If it wasn't for being on Thanksgiving weekend I would have made the drive down from Seattle.

I'm stealing that idea for a tweet btw, although a few of those schools are no longer using UA.
Do it! I'd love to see our team in a big tourney like this.
cboothe09
Joe Lunardi updated his brackets and how has SFA as the rep from the Southland. Of course we are the #16 seed playing Duke in the Charlotte Regional, but he has us in...

Other notable games:
#12 UT-Arlington/#5 Minnesota - UTA extremely underrated as a 12-seed.
#10 Texas/#7 Virginia
#6 TCU/#11Wisconsin-Butler - Hard to believe TCU has come that far that quick.
#6 Baylor/#11 Missouri - Missouri is the only team on our schedule picked to make the tournament
No-look
La Tech up by one at the half over Alabama. Tech has some height.
TallTexan
Watching Texas play Florida A&M. Not blowing the doors off, but a comfortable lead. Texas shoots worse from beyond the arc than we do.
SFA88
Looks like Bobby Hurley's Arizona State team may make the tournament for the first time in a very very long time. They won the Las Vegas tourney by thumping Kansas State and #15 Xavier. They have 3 talented senior guards and finally have some big men in the middle that can score and rebound. They also will have a couple of other talented players available in mid December.

I'm not saying they will win the Pac-12 but they look like they will be a hard out and will win enough to get an at-large bid.
SFAXE93
Gramblng State who was 1-5 beats 4-1 Georgia Tech on the road 65-64.
SFA88
Washington beating/will beat #2 Kansas tonight.
nacluth
Chicago Loyola beat #5 Florida
No-look
SFA88 said:

@ Kansas. Is SFA tied with home wins now?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

SFA88 said:

@ Kansas. Is SFA tied with home wins now?
It was in Kansas City.
No-look
Saw where Kansas lost at home today.
SFA88
Yep, Arizona State remains unbeaten by winning at Phog Allen 95-85. With wins over San Diego State, Kansas State, Xavier, St. John's, and Kansas, ASU should break the top 10 this week.
SFA88
Watched the Arizona Alabama game yesterday, Ayton for Arizona is the best college big man I have seen in a long time. He may well go number 1 in the draft.
No-look
Someone explain to me why Kansas's last two home loses are not home loses. Thanks
nacluth
One was in Kansas City a "neutral" site against Washington. Laughable but true.
No-look
nacluth said:

One was in Kansas City a "neutral" site against Washington. Laughable but true.
Was the other game a real home game? I'm trying to get the Jacks back at their rightful spot. Lol
SFAXE93
No-look
SFAXE93 said:

Wish him the best.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I'm still not sure what kind of D1 athlete just ups & decides they're going to skip a season & transfer.

Watching us play without Augustin reminded me that we were going to have another capable floor general on the roster.

That said, I think our team is playing great without him, just still baffled by that whole affair.
nacluth
No-look said:

Someone explain to me why Kansas's last two home loses are not home loses. Thanks
From Kansas' website:

sfa17
I rather have decent players who want to be at SFA than "sUpErSTaRs" that don't want to be a lumberjack. #Blessed .SFA should be no ones back-up school.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

I rather have decent players who want to be at SFA than "sUpErSTaRs" that don't want to be a lumberjack. #Blessed .SFA should be no ones back-up school.
Completely agree.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Mississippi State went on the road at #25 Cincinnati tonight and suffered their first loss 65-50. It was Cincinnati's 31st straight home win, the longest active streak in the nation.
cboothe09
We have jumped up Lunardi's bracketology this week. We are now a #14 seed and looking at a rematch against West Virginia.

Other interesting matchups...
#12 Loyola-Chicago/#5 Notre Dame
#2 Arizona State/#15 UC Santa Barbra
#8 Nevada/#9 Missouri
SFA88
cboothe09 said:

We have jumped up Lunardi's bracketology this week. We are now a #14 seed and looking at a rematch against West Virginia.

Other interesting matchups...
#12 Loyola-Chicago/#5 Notre Dame
#2 Arizona State/#15 UC Santa Barbra
#8 Nevada/#9 Missouri
Interesting but doubt ASU is going to be a #2 seed and I also doubt UC Santa Barbra is going from the worst team in the Big West to the best team in the Big West, but I admit crazy things do happen in college hoops.

Side note: The Big West added a tournament last year. I still think Mid-Majors having a conference tourney is the stupidest thing around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.