2023 Basketball Offers

25,942 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FRANK STAINE 6-6 (SR.)

Currently ranked sixth in career 3FGM (103)
career 3FGA (287)
ninth in career 3FG% (.359)
ninth in career steals (80)

Best game of the season was at Grand Canyon
PTS:21;REB:4;STL:2
FG:7-11; 3FG:5-8

We seem to be taking WAC players that played well against us, that impressed the coaching.
PurpleOut
Staff
Fills a Guard spot, with good size and experience at that. I think it's a good pickup.

Dropped 18 on us in Vegas.
nacluth
Agreed. Probably a strong net positive for the Tezeno hole he's filling.
Jacks1989
Jacks r getting a lot bigger.

Players leaving
Tezeno 6'5"
Posey 6'2"
Hawk 6'4"
Roti 6'3"

Incoming
Stone 6'7"
Staine 6'6"
Southwick 6'9"
Christmas 6'5"

If Davion Scott is counting as a walk on we have 2 scholarships left.
SFAJack_76
One year to play. Good size. Seems like a solid pick up, although playing time and stats dropped off some from his first three years.

Who is our back up PG next season?
SFAXE93
SFA BASKETBALL (MEN) 2023-2024

F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-10 (SR.)
F:#12 JALIL BEAUBRUN 6-9 (SR.)
F:#00 CLAYTON SOUTHWICK 6-8 (JR.)
F:#00 JUHLAWNEI STONE 6-7 (JR.)
F/G:#00 FRANK STAINE 6-6 (SR.)
F/G:#15 ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-6 (JR.)
F: #00 CHRISHAWN CHRISTMAS 6-5 (FR.)
F:#3 SADAIDRIENE HALL 6-5 (JR.)
G:#4 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (SR.)
G:#11 DAEVEON SCOTT 6-3 (SO.)
G:#13 AJ CAJUSTE 6-1 (SR.)
G:#10 LATRELL JOSSELL 5-11 (JR.)

We are suddenly not guard heavy anymore.
jboy93
What's going on at UTSA...pretty much the whole team is in the portal?
jboy93
Do ya'll think that our new basketball facilities had anything to do with the WAC players committing to SFA?
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Do ya'll think that our new basketball facilities had anything to do with the WAC players committing to SFA?

Good point. I was wondering the same thing.

Also, it appears that the SFA coaching staff is grabbing players from the portal much earlier this year than in the past couple of years. Reaction speed to players entering the portal may have something to do with it, too. Lessons learned?
SFAXE93
And the coaches have seen these players in action up front in game time, and like what they see, in a player they can work with and who can contribute.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

And the coaches have seen these players in action up front in game time, and like what they see, in a player they can work with and contribute.
Agreed. Having played against them eliminates much of the guess work in evaluating players via video clips, word of mouth with other coaches, etc. "A player they can work with." I like that!
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

He's a good one!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm placing the following in several places here on The Sawmill so that everyone sees it and is aware of its message. I feel that it's that important.

I recently joined the Sawmill6thMan collective. This is an NIL collective that financially supports the SFA Jacks MBB players. I encourage other Jack fans to join, too. Monthly memberships are available for as little as $10 per month, and I'm sure they'll gladly accept one-time donations. 100% of the money goes directly to the athletes!! This organization is not and cannot (by NCAA rules) connected to SFASU. It is administered by SFA alums, most of whom are local businessmen.

For details, go over the SFA NIL thread in the General Discussion Forum.

We say that we want to compete with the Big Boys to get the best players to come here, so we need to act like it! Please consider joining.

www.sawmill6thman.com/memberships
TallTexan
So if we have 2 spots left, what do we expect them to be filled with?

A true PG and maybe another center?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

If we're going to have both Nana/Beaubrun back...along with the Forwards we just added, I'd go after 2 guards. A PG and another SG.

Stone has a good opportunity to fit in this system. If you start him next to Nana as an example, you already have a bigger lineup than we've had (we won the league with Kensmil & Solomon starting at 6'7).

That gives you a lot of room to play with different lineups. Either 3 guards, or going bigger with Hall + 2 guards. Beaubrun/Stone/Hall would be a ridiculous lineup to have to deal with in the paint.

Either way...with how Keller substitutes, a starting 5 isn't a big topic for me any longer.
No-look
Got to have a center IMHO
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

If we're going to have both Nana/Beaubrun back...along with the Forwards we just added, I'd go after 2 guards. A PG and another SG.

Stone has a good opportunity to fit in this system. If you start him next to Nana as an example, you already have a bigger lineup than we've had (we won the league with Kensmil & Solomon starting at 6'7).

That gives you a lot of room to play with different lineups. Either 3 guards, or going bigger with Hall + 2 guards. Beaubrun/Stone/Hall would be a ridiculous lineup to have to deal with in the paint.

Either way...with how Keller substitutes, a starting 5 isn't a big topic for me any longer.

As long as they can get some offensive production inside, that could work.

This much length could give us a lot of lineup options. And with both Nana and Southwick able to make a 3, forces teams to follow them everywhere.

I'd be cool with 2 more guards but with the injury risk to the bigs(and lack of a lot of offensive production) I wouldn't mind a guard and center.
No-look
AJ's former teammate that we offered last year if I remember correctly.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

AJ's former teammate that we offered last year if I remember correctly.

Yeah. He was actually the hotter recruit.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Ya. Starting to figure out that, Keller has about 14 different lineups he might run with, (exaggerating there). But for real, I see him running with AJ and Jossell rotating at PG. The rest is just gumbo. You could go with REALLY NASTY defensive lineup like, AJ, Hayman, Staine, Hall and Beaubrun. With a little bit of development this off season, Jalil could be a net asset on defense.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Ya. Starting to figure out that, Keller has about 14 different lineups he might run with, (exaggerating there). But for real, I see him running with AJ and Jossell rotating at PG. The rest is just gumbo. You could go with REALLY NASTY defensive lineup like, AJ, Hayman, Staine, Hall and Beaubrun. ImWith a little bit of development this off season Jalil could be a net asset on defense.

I just can't see Jossell running the point except out of necessity due to injuries. He's a shooter, not a floor general. IMO, we need another true PG, along with another big. That would be my wish list for the two remaining slots.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Ya. Starting to figure out that, Keller has about 14 different lineups he might run with, (exaggerating there). But for real, I see him running with AJ and Jossell rotating at PG. The rest is just gumbo. You could go with REALLY NASTY defensive lineup like, AJ, Hayman, Staine, Hall and Beaubrun. ImWith a little bit of development this off season Jalil could be a net asset on defense.

I just can't see Jossell running the point except out of necessity due to injuries. He's a shooter, not a floor general. IMO, we need another true PG (along with another big). That would be my wish list for the two remaining slots.

Agreed. He's done it though, for 4-5 minute stretches with a little help from Roti.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
The biggest challenge with not having a 2nd point guard who's capable of playing 20 minutes a game to backup Cajuste is that you're one injury away from a derailed season.
Jacks1989
Jacks need to sign another point guard. I wish they could get Nate Calmese from Lamar. Stud Freshman. Southland Conference Freshman of the Year. Averaged 17 points per game.

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/lamar-freshman-nate-calmese-plans-to-enter-ncaa-transfer-portal/
SFAXE93
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I'd be wary of any team taking a single player off that roster without knowing who was involved in what.

Sucks for the kids who minded their business but I don't think NMSU current or former employees will be particularly forthcoming in time to do proper vetting.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Why do you keep teasing us with these, 93??
SFAXE93
If Hooten can get portal guys from anywhere, so can Keller.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

If Hooten can get portal guys from anywhere, so can Keller.

I know. I was just kidding with you.
SFAXE93
SFA should also be attractive to an elite guard with the need on our roster.
Jacks1989
Absolutely agree. SFA should be attractive to a top guard.
No-look
I would settle for a guard that averages a triple double a game. Post only needs to average 20 and 12 along with lots of blocked shots. Shouldn't be a problem. Lol
nacluth
No-look said:

I would settle for a guard that averages a triple double a game. Post only needs to average 20 and 12 along with lots of blocked shots. Shouldn't be a problem. Lol
Perfect thinking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.