2023 Basketball Offers

26,675 Views | 237 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

jboy93 said:

jboy93 said:

At Wagstaff Gym ready to watch Mr Christmas show out but in a loss of course!!!

9 points at half. Very quick and athletic. Listed at 6'5, but that's pushing it.

14 total for the game but didn't play a whole lot in the second half with their big lead. I think 9 rebounds as well.

So, what were his main assets that you saw? It's good to have speed, but how did he use it? One-on-one defense? Rebounding position? Penetration?
He was able to drive to the basket AND finish with a basket. Also very good in your face defense. Like in Hoosiers, he could tell what gum our guys were chewing because he was intense. They will be back in Tyler next week at our Regional tournament so I should see him several times because I believe they are picked to win.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Even though he didn't play for about the last month??
No-look
Right. Who knows why???
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Right. Who knows why???

I looked all over the interwebs but could find nothing.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Right. Who knows why???

Minor injury? Family leave? Could be anything.

Doesn't sound like he has jettisoned.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Right. Who knows why???

If Southwick is indeed coming, it clarifies the 4 spot, for sure. I'd think you'd run Hall and Southwick out ther in a rotation Or occasionally use Hall as a 3 and hope Nana delivers in his final year. We'd be pretty capable inside.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

Right. Who knows why???

If Southwick is indeed coming, it clarifies the 4 spot, for sure. I'd think you'd run Hall and Southwick out ther in a rotation Or occasionally use Hall as a 3 and hope Nana delivers in his final year. We'd be pretty capable inside.

We need another athletic big. Easier said than done, I know. I just don't have a lot of faith in NaNa (especially after the back injury), and Southwick's mysterious AWOL status is worrisome.
Jacks1989
Glad that Southwick is coming to SFA but we need to sign another center. Southwicks status bothers me. He missed the last third of his season. Need at least 4 bigs going into next season.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Glad that Southwick is coming to SFA but we need to sign another center. Southwicks status bothers me. He missed the last third of his season. Need at least 4 bigs going into next season.

Fardaws Aimaq ……
jboy93
Dallas is here at TJC watching Christmas at the Region 14 tournament. Walked up to Dallas and asked if he was recruiting this 6'10" kid for Panola! We need bigs and this kid was pretty solid.
Jacks1989
Give us an update on Christmas. How is he looking?
jboy93
Jacks1989 said:

They had a big lead again so didn't play a lot of minutes. He's just a bit taller than Dallas so I'm not sure where he's going to fit in.
BigJack85
jboy93 said:

Jacks1989 said:

They had a big lead again so didn't play a lot of minutes. He's just a bit taller than Dallas so I'm not sure where he's going to fit in.

Christmas is listed at 6'5". How tall is Dallas 6'1"?
jboy93
BigJack85 said:

jboy93 said:

Jacks1989 said:

Christmas is listed at 6'5". How tall is Dallas 6'1"?
6'5" is a real stretch. I stood beside him and at 5'11", I was not looking up that much. I don't know. He seems to be like a lot of the players we already have (at least for now). Very athletic, quick, and strong defensively. I wish I had Ed's basketball knowledge to really be able to give everyone a good evaluation.
jboy93
For what it's worth...Panola's head coach is someone to keep your eye on. In his first year there as head coach, he recruited a completely new team and they are 28-4. He has kids from all over the world literally coming to Carthage TX to play and they play hard! I talked to his parents in the stands after the game and I asked how did he get these kids on board? They said he works about 18 hours a day and does nothing but basketball (he's a single guy btw). If you have been to Carthage, I guess there is nothing else to do.
No-look
Is Christmas a point guard? AJ is the only true point we have. Have to fill that one eventually. Regarding the post we need, we need a true big that can defend AND score (see Bandago UVU etc) Hope Southwick if he comes can stay healthy. We need enough depth at the post position so if injuries occur we can still be solid. With our guards we have it would be a shame not to address the post position correctly
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Dallas is here at TJC watching Christmas at the Region 14 tournament. Walked up to Dallas and asked if he was recruiting this 6'10" kid for Panola! We need bigs and this kid was pretty solid.

Don't leave us hangin', jboy. What was Dallas' answer to your question about the 6'10" kid? And what's your definition of "pretty solid"? Any athleticism or just a big hulk?
BigJack85
No-look said:

Is Christmas a point guard? AJ is the only true point we have. Have to fill that one eventually. Regarding the post we need, we need a true big that can defend AND score (see Bandago UVU etc) Hope Southwick if he comes can stay healthy. We need enough depth at the post position so if injuries occur we can still be solid. With our guards we have it would be a shame not to address the post position correctly

Ya. Right now I see AJ running the point Hayman or Tezeno playing 2/3. Hall as a 4 along with Southwick.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

Ya. Right now I see AJ running the point Hayman or Tezeno playing 2/3. Hall as a 4 along with Southwick.
still waiting on word about Southwick. He's been injury prone his career.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

Don't leave us hangin', jboy. What was Dallas' answer to your question about the 6'10" kid? And what's your definition of "pretty solid"? Any athleticism or just a big hulk?
No...this kid could move (quickness and athletic) and had good hands. Dallas just kinda laughed and said "oh yeah" about going after him too! Slender, but more muscle than Nana.
SFAXE93

Vianney Salatchoum
jboy93
SFAXE93 said:

Vianney Salatchoum
That's him! I'll try and ask tonight if he has any offers.
SFAXE93
Panola College went 27-4; 17-2 with a perfect 16-0 at home, almost 80 points a game.

They are on a 15 game win streak.

Vianney, started in the last quarter of the season from Jan. to Mar.

Season high 6 blocks against Jacksonville College
Season high 17 rebounds against Tribulation Prep.
Season high 17 points against Bossier Parish CC

The last two games he has combined for 13 of 18 for 30 points 11 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Panola plays Kilgore College tonight at 8:00 P.M. in the semi-finals of the NJCAA Region XIV Tournament

jboy93
Christmas 0points and 3 rebounds in a very sloppy 1st half tonight against Kilgore.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Panola College went 27-4; 17-2 with a perfect 16-0 at home, almost 80 points a game.

The last two games he has combined for 13 of 18 for 30 points 11 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Panola plays Kilgore College tonight at 8:00 P.M. in the semi-finals of the NJCAA Region XIV Tournament

Very raw talent. He'd definitely need to add some meat on those bones. Is he a freshman or a soph?
SFAXE93
Freshman
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Freshman
Shoots 40% from the free throw line. His stats are not impressive.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAXE93 said:

Very raw talent. He'd definitely need to add some meat on those bones. Is he a freshman or a soph?
Yeah, some of those big strong defensive guys in the WAC won't let him anywhere near the basket. We saw it when that 7ft skinny GCU freshman had to play a few games this year.
SFAXE93
Panola (28-4) destroys Kilgore College in the semi finals 72-44.

Christmas and Salatchoum started

Christmas plays 25:38 goes 0-3 for 2 points (2-4 from the line) 2 assists, and 7 rebounds
Salatchoum plays 12:10 goes 3-4 for 6 points (0-1 from the line) 1 assist, and 5 rebounds

16 straight wins

Will play TVCC (13-18; 11-8) 5 straight wins, in the Finals today at 7:00 P.M.
SFA Jack Fanatic
To add to my existing worries about next year, now I'm starting to worry about our two signees -- Southwick a public no-show and Christmas a no-show on the court.

Hope he proves me wrong, but it looks like Christmas will be just another in a long line of returning guards. What am I missing on him?
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Panola (28-4) destroys Kilgore College in the semi finals 72-44.

Christmas and Salatchoum started

Christmas plays 25:38 goes 0-3 for 2 points (2-4 from the line) 2 assists, and 7 rebounds
Salatchoum plays 12:10 goes 3-4 for 6 points (0-1 from the line) 1 assist, and 5 rebounds

16 straight wins

Will play TVCC (13-18; 11-8) 5 straight wins, in the Finals today at 7:00 P.M.
Salatchoum also had five fouls in his 12 minutes.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

To add to my existing worries about next year, now I'm starting to worry about our two signees -- Southwick a public no-show and Christmas a no-show on the court.

Hope he proves me wrong, but it looks like Christmas will be just another in a long line of returning guards. What am I missing on him?

I agree. Kind of feels like last year at this time, with a little more returning inside help. Without any impact recruits, the Lumberjacks look to be another 18, 19, 20 win team.

A few things could change that, mostly pretty obvious:

Making a few assumptions a) Nana's injury isn't to bad. He returns in game day form. b) Core group of guards return c) We recruit an impact forward. 6'7"+. OR Southwick turns out to be solid.

We could end up with a workable lineup. Fingers crossed that we get some inside help. My guess

PG - Cajuste/Jossell
SG - Jossell/Hayman
SF - Tezeno/Armbrester/Christmas???
PF - Hall/Southwick???
C - Nana/Beaubrun

Am I off-base ?
Jacks1989
I would assume that is the lineup as of now. Don't forget that last year Coach brought in 2 big school transfers. Monty and Robbie. 2 years ago Coach brought in Latrell and Aku plus a mid season transfer Payton Daniel's. All from big schools. 2 worked out, the others didn't. It want surprise me if he brings some more transfers in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.