2020 Basketball commits

51,900 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Sounded like a minor injury that was going to just keep him out for this game. But they lost by 1. Too bad.
They will most likely still get an at-large to the national tournament.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Sounded like a minor injury that was going to just keep him out for this game. But they lost by 1. Too bad.
Ankle injury in the previous game.
jboy93
I think Heckard is going to be fine and yes we (TJC) should get an at large bid. We also have a kid by the name Shahada Wells that is really lighting it up for us. Would have been good to get him too but I think he is going to UTA. Another guard that is averaging well over 20 a game. Still Heckard and Cam back together is going to be good!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Despite a 25-3 record, Tyler Jr. College did not receive an at-large invitation to the JUCO national tournament. I feel bad for them, because they deserved one.

The good news is that SFA recruit Deandre Heckard's next stop is SFA!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Despite a 25-3 record, Tyler Jr. College did not receive an at-large invitation to the JUCO national tournament. I feel bad for them, because they deserved one.

The good news is that SFA recruit Deandre Heckard's next stop is SFA!
How many automatic bids were there? I know Angelina College from Lufkin is going from TJC's region XIV as region tournament winner.
No-look

This is huge! Lots of D1 players. Duncanville is loaded.
SFAJack_76
Nana and Posey, all-region.
sfa17
No-look
Nice!
SFA Jack Fanatic
He came within a knat's hair of almost single-handedly beating Class 6-A #1 Duncanville in Regionals. He's that good. Get ready for a fun ride, Jack fans!!!
No-look
Gonna be a fun season. Posey is the type of player that if you don't play him it makes the coach look dumb. Lol
sfa17
sfa17
Nana, Senior Highlights. looks promising..but way too many 3 point attempts for a center/PF.

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

way too many 3 point attempts for a center/PF.

IDK, if my math is correct, he hit 100% from beyond the arc!!

I agree. Coach Cox will get that part of his game under control. He does seem to move very well though. And the Strength & Conditioning team will put some meat on those bones, but that will probably take a year or two. He'll definitely be a project for a while. I don't expect much from him in Year One. He won't be an immediate contributor as a freshman the way that Calvin was.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfa17 said:

way too many 3 point attempts for a center/PF.

IDK, if my math is correct, he hit 100% from beyond the arc!!

The next Charlie Daniels!
Rev007
Normally, I'm a bit pessimistic about incoming freshmen who obviously need a year of strength and conditioning. However, after reviewing the highlights of Nana (thanks for the video!), I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Nana does not redshirt. Moreover, he will play significant minutes during his first year. I'm so impressed with his ability to handle the ball, move to the open position, and deliver a technically sound, accurate shot. Sure, it was a highlight reel, but when is the last time we had a big man who could shot the 3? Hmmm....I believe it was T.J. I'm not to say Nana is the next T.J. because they have totally different strength levels, but Nana has the more technically sound shot. T.J.'s was more of a set shot that requires him to be wide open. In contrast, Nana's can be shot in the face of a shorter defender without the additional stressor of worrying that it will be blocked.

I'm wondering if it's possible that he could grow a couple more inches....would be ideal to have the next KD....just kidding about that, but in summary, I'm looking forward to his shooting which will give Gavin more room down low.

Stay safe and be responsible!
jboy93
I got to see Nana in person for his game here in Whitehouse. My very uneducated (basketball wise) eye says he doesn't see the floor this year. He could not move people in high school and he was 4-6 inches taller. I know this is only a one game sample but I was not impressed. I do agree he has a good shot and can handle the ball okay but he will be manhandled around the rim against college post players. Hope I'm wrong!!! GO JACKS!
PurpleOut
Staff
#7 for Jaylin in the final Rivals rankings for Texas. #48 for Nana.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

#7 for Jaylin in the final Rivals rankings for Texas. #48 for Nana.

Man, there's a lot of Undecideds on that list at this point. I assume that many of those will go the JUCO route or be left out in the cold.

Also, I noticed that Shamir Bogues is listed at #33.
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut
Staff
Was hearing some rumblings today, this is a great pickup. Hawkins was huge for UTEP as a Freshman, had an up and down season last year and didn't get on the court as much.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Was hearing some rumblings today, this is a great pickup. Hawkins was huge for UTEP as a Freshman, had an up and down season last year and didn't get on the court as much.
Is he immediately eligible?

Do we have an open spot?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Details. Sit one?? Play how many??
No-look
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

RWas hearing some rumblings today, this is a great pickup. Hawkins was huge for UTEP as a Freshman, had an up and down season last year and didn't get on the court as much.

Do we have an open spot?
This.
sfa17
We recruited and offered him when he was in high school. But he went with UTEP, also had offers from Texas a and m and Houston.

Nigel also won the 2017 Guy V Lewis award. Best player in the Houston area award.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Appears last season was more down than up. He entered the transfer portal in December, withdrew when the starting PG entered the portal, then ended up as back up when the starter withdrew from the portal and came back.

So, who's out? Unless the transfer rule is changed, he will have to sit a year. Even though he sits, that puts us one over the scholarship limit.
PurpleOut
Staff
As a freshman in conference play, he lead the Miners in total minutes (35.1 MPG) and points (13.9 PPG), shooting 85% from the FT line (65 of 76). Did have a lot of turnovers as a freshman, which he cut down last year.

Sounds like the Coach at UTEP was an issue, they have a ton of players that just left. I'm chalking up his sophomore year to that.

sfa17
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

RWas hearing some rumblings today, this is a great pickup. Hawkins was huge for UTEP as a Freshman, had an up and down season last year and didn't get on the court as much.

Do we have an open spot?
This.

It will depend on the Ncaa if he is eligible. They review it case by case.

Someone has to leave
PurpleOut
Staff
Regarding sitting out, there is a potential rule change this summer. So we will have to wait and see.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Started all 27 games as a freshman, averaging 12.6 ppg. Playing time dipped as a sophomore, his averages dropping to 4.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, and 2.1 apg.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

We recruited and offered him when he was in high school. But he went with UTEP, also had offers from Texas a and m and Houston.

Nigel also won the 2017 Guy V Lewis award. Best player in the Houston area award.

So, we'll have two Guy Lewis Award winners on the team! Not too shabby!
No-look
I know it's a highlight reel but he looks like a solid three point shooter.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Has a nice James Hardin step-back three.
sfa17
https://krod.com/utep-sophomore-guard-nigel-hawkins-enters-the-transfer-portal/

Sounds like there was drama at UTEP. Fans also calling for coach to be fired on forum.

Looks like he also got injured towards the end of the season.

"Hawkins injured himself in shootaround before the Old Dominion game on a non-contact injury. He did not return to the lineup for the rest of the season for the Miners."

SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

He was only 5 for 25 as a sophomore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.