2020 Basketball commits

51,428 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard from a reliable source that no one will have to be cut from the team to add Hawkins. I'm not sure how that will work, but that's what my source tells me.
nacluth
A player can come (or stay on a team) without a scholarship. That would be odd, but it has been done before. It happens a lot in football where a kid wants to stay with the team but has to pay his way to do so.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

A player can come (or stay on a team) without a scholarship. That would be odd, but it has been done before. It happens a lot in football where a kid wants to stay with the team but has to pay his way to do so.
That would be odd.
jboy93
Seems like we are getting guard heavy? Am I wrong?
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

It can feel that way, however, we lose Bain while adding Brown from his RS season, and Nana. We don't know what Brown can bring, but Keller and Cox do. Additionally, if Hart can become the player I believe he can, I feel really good about our inside play.

jboy93
I think Hart is going to be the wildcard here! If he stays and develops I think we are in good shape!
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

jboy93 said:

It can feel that way, however, we lose Bain while adding Brown from his RS season, and Nana. We don't know what Brown can bring, but Keller and Cox do. Additionally, if Hart can become the player I believe he can, I feel really good about our inside play.

. Wasn't Brown in the top 100 JUCO players when we recruited him? We should be good with our bigs this season. Baring the unseen we should really be deep at all positions? Keller and co will have to be very focused in recruiting bigs for the year after. Losing Kensmil and Daniels will be a big hit. Overall we are in great shape as of now. Gonna be a long off season.
cboothe09
Actually spread out pretty well. Brown got a medical redshirt, so we should get two years with him still. Technically we are more top heavy in the backcourt. If history shows us anything though, Keller and Co. like to get a freshman or two at the guard spot, but hit JUCO and transfers hard there. Gives us more experience and less of a learning curve. Build the bigs from within and give them a little more time...

In the paint:
Seniors: Daniels & Kensmil
Juniors: Brown
Sophomores: Hart, Solomon, Badgley*
Freshman: Nana

* - Walk On

Backcourt:
Seniors: Kachelries, Ware, Johnson,
Juniors: Hawkins^, Zivney*, Heckard, Walker
Sophomores: Matturo*, McDaniel
Freshmen: Posey

^ - Regardless when he plays, this year or next, he will have two years of eligibility.
PurpleOut
Staff
Honestly, having Hawkins sit this upcoming season wouldn't be the end of the world really. Sure we could use him, but would help the next class more perhaps even more, and then still have another year.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Honestly, having Hawkins sit this upcoming season wouldn't be the end of the world really. Sure we could use him, but would help the next class more perhaps even more, and then still have another year.
Agree. I still don't see how we get 14 into 13, but regardless if we lose a player or not, playing time will be a major issue for the coaches to work through. Both Posey and Heckard are coming in with the ability, and no doubt the expectation, to get significant minutes. Hawkins sitting a year could be a real positive. No doubt, Keller has been very open with him about the roster, and how he fits.
jboy93
Can we keep the walk on's no matter the number of scholarship players?
nacluth
Sure. I think NWST had 18 players on their bench. You can only suit up 13 a game.
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Started all 27 games as a freshman, averaging 12.6 ppg. Playing time dipped as a sophomore, his averages dropping to 4.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, and 2.1 apg.
His freshman year was Rodney Terry's first year and the roster just wasn't as talented as it was his sophomore year. As a freshman, they NEEDED him to play 30 plus minutes a game and they won 8 games. This past year, Terry brought Darryl Edwards from LSU and Souley Boum from San Francisco, both of whom can really play. There were just fewer minutes to be had due to more experience and talent on the roster. They won 17 games. I imagine going from being the BMOC in HS & immediately in college as a freshman at 30 plus mpg, to going to a reserve role and 13 mpg is a huge blow to the psyche of a 19 year old. This could be a really big time get if he comes in with the right attitude and ready to work.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
LUMBERJACK2005
cboothe09 said:

Actually spread out pretty well. Brown got a medical redshirt, so we should get two years with him still. Technically we are more top heavy in the backcourt. If history shows us anything though, Keller and Co. like to get a freshman or two at the guard spot, but hit JUCO and transfers hard there. Gives us more experience and less of a learning curve. Build the bigs from within and give them a little more time...

In the paint:
Seniors: Daniels & Kensmil
Juniors: Brown
Sophomores: Hart, Solomon, Badgley*
Freshman: Nana

* - Walk On

Backcourt:
Seniors: Kachelries, Ware, Johnson,
Juniors: Hawkins^, Zivney*, Heckard, Walker
Sophomores: Matturo*, McDaniel
Freshmen: Posey

^ - Regardless when he plays, this year or next, he will have two years of eligibility.
Won't McDaniel be a freshman still, or did he not redshirt?
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
Jyank24
Only thing I'm curious about is that there doesn't seem to be much Acknowledgement by SFA basketball or Coach Keller that we have officially seen this commitment..Are we still in a dead time where they can't officially announce, or is there going to be another move pending that they are waiting to drop on us?
PurpleOut
Staff
Jyank24 said:

Only thing I'm curious about is that there doesn't seem to be much Acknowledgement by SFA basketball or Coach Keller that we have officially seen this commitment..Are we still in a dead time where they can't officially announce, or is there going to be another move pending that they are waiting to drop on us?
Coach Mason was liking the tweets.

We're not in a dead period right now. This is actually one of the biggest recruiting times of the year.

SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Started all 27 games as a freshman, averaging 12.6 ppg. Playing time dipped as a sophomore, his averages dropping to 4.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, and 2.1 apg.
His freshman year was Rodney Terry's first year and the roster just wasn't as talented as it was his sophomore year. As a freshman, they NEEDED him to play 30 plus minutes a game and they won 8 games. This past year, Terry brought Darryl Edwards from LSU and Souley Boum from San Francisco, both of whom can really play. There were just fewer minutes to be had due to more experience and talent on the roster. They won 17 games. I imagine going from being the BMOC in HS & immediately in college as a freshman at 30 plus mpg, to going to a reserve role and 13 mpg is a huge blow to the psyche of a 19 year old. This could be a really big time get if he comes in with the right attitude and ready to work.

I'm wondering whether there was more to the story than just reduced floor time. Friction with the coach perhaps?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm wondering whether there was more to the story than just reduced floor time. Friction with the coach perhaps?
Sounds like a combination of several things, including the coach. They had a guy or two leave mid-season, several more afterwards. Which also includes Kaden Archie, who we recruited and was a Top 10 recruit in Texas. Went to TCU, then UTEP, now somewhere else.

With the way some of our D1 transfers and high profile recruits have turned out in the past, I don't think we're going to take as many chances on kids with baggage. Hawkins isn't one of those.

PurpleOut
Staff
We also have to remember that this is a commitment and he hasn't signed his LOI. So there's a limited amount of communication and publicity the athletic department is allowed until he signs, including social media.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

We also have to remember that this is a commitment and he hasn't signed his LOI. So there's a limited amount of communication and publicity the athletic department is allowed until he signs, including social media.
Interesting enough, this was just tweeted.

nacluth
I got some comments about the Cover Your Axe hashtag but I'll keep them to myself for now. #practicesafeaxe.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

PurpleOut said:

Interesting enough, this was just tweeted.

Interesting. Those rules explain Coach K's vagueness and/or reluctance to talk much about current recruiting on the Instagram webcast the other night. He knows the rules.
cboothe09

Rumors we have been in contact with this guy...Not sure if those rumors started before or after Hawkins, but could/would have been a good get.
wahlwesle
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic
wahlwesle said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm no psychologist, but it sounded to me like there was lots of "stuff" going on in that locker room. It also sounded as though he was merely repeating a scripted line that was developed in those meetings, i.e. putting on a good face. No love between him and the other PG, who apparently took much of his playing time.

I hope he comes into our locker room with a whole new attitude. He has a ton of natural talent and two years of D-1 experience. He could be a real asset for the next couple of years.
No-look
He does have a lot of natural talent... Anytime you mix a couple bad attitudes with a losing streak it's a recipe for disaster. After what happened here last year I would think Keller and co wouldn't have offered him if he was a part of the problem. I'm assuming they did their homework. SFA should be strong as acid next year. Or as some announcer said this year" strong as ten rows of onions". Lol
sfa17
I agree with some of the other posts on here. Him seating out for one year could be good. We are loaded this year and will need him more next year Bc all of our Juco Seniors are leaving.
LUMBERJACK2005
Would LOVE to add Cedric Alley to the mix. Super athletic kid that plays with a lot of energy. Have seen him play a lot with UH, not a big time offensive talent....but think Nathan Bain with more talent.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm no psychologist
Wait, what were you billing me for then?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm no psychologist
Wait, what were you billing me for then?

Well, the ruse was good while it lasted. I've found it's rather easy to deceive anyone with UT blood in their veins.
cboothe09
Alley transfers to UTSA
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Alley transfers to UTSA
Who's Alley?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Alley transfers to UTSA
Who's Alley?
Transfer from UH. Was just talk about him around here.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

Is it too early to get excited about this coming season?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Is it too early to get excited about this coming season?
It's never too early for me! PG is the key.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.