2019 Basketball Offers

217,462 Views | 787 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cboothe09
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Calvin Solomon has been named VYPE (Houston) Boys Basketball Public School Player of the Year.

https://texas.vype.com/houston/post/the-list-sleeper-emerges-as-mvp-of-all-vype-public-school-hoop-teams/20296

"He's basically a big point guard, who can guard anyone on the court on defense," coach Cary Black said. "He can take a post to the hole off the dribble or post up a smaller guard. He just makes great decisions."
TallTexan
I'd love to have a 6'7 guy who can rotate into the point & still play down low. He'd be a weapon.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Calvin Solomon has been named a Co-Player of the Year on the Houston Chronicle's All-Greater Houston Basketball Team.

Expect him to pick up more D-1 offers now, making him harder to get. But we were the first to offer, so we'll see.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Calvin Solomon has been named a Co-Player of the Year on the Houston Chronicle's All-Greater Houston Basketball Team.

Expect him to pick up more D-1 offers now, making him harder to get. But we were the first to offer, so we'll see.
Apparently he was off the radar until he performed at a high level in the state tournament.
No-look
With so many spots open shouldn't we be seeing more offers or even a commit soon?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

With so many spots open shouldn't we be seeing more offers or even a commit soon?
The signing period starts April 17. Also, the D1 transfer list is exploding. Over 350 now, which is much higher than this time a year ago. Given the immediate needs, I am sure they are watching that list closely. I also am anxious to hear, but want the staff to take the time to get it right.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think there's probably a lot happening right now, more than the normal person can see just based on social media. A lot of stuff (offers, visits, etc) are kept quiet.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I think there's probably a lot happening right now, more than the normal person can see just based on social media. A lot of stuff (offers, visits, etc) are kept quiet.

Yep I convinced Keller to give me a basketball workout right after the season to see if I could get an offer and he said "we'll never speak of this again", so we're keeping it on the downlow for now so a P5 doesn't swoop in and steal me.
nacluth
I was thinking Keller could adopt Carthel's Be a Big Coach hashtag and show pics of food.
LUMBERJACK2005
Guess it's not a huge surprise, but saw where Jock Hughes is transferring.
sfa17
No-look
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Yep I convinced Keller to give me a basketball workout right after the season to see if I could get an offer and he said "we'll never speak of this again", so we're keeping it on the downlow for now so a P5 doesn't swoop in and steal me.
I understand. I once asked my wife if I looked like Tom Selleck and she said Tom Selleck didn't look anything like me. I took that as a positive.
No-look
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

I rarely tweet at recruits, but I do like his response to this one.
PurpleOut
Staff
Former recruit and Austin native Keonte Kennedy is in the transfer portal.
sfa17
I Remember the whole issue from last summer with keonte. he commit to Xavier then decommitted. Announced a new commitment date. Push the date back and recommitted back to Xavier.
PurpleOut
Staff
He'll end up somewhere bigger.
sfa17

Recently got an offer from Idaho
BigJack85
Looks like he has a little of Jerod Johnson..... I believe.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfa17
No-look
Recruiting question. If SFA offers a player for 2019 is that a solid offer? Does the player have the option to accept at the time of offer?
No-look
Saw where Lamar offered Anderson and Maddox Kopp.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Saw where Lamar offered Anderson and Maddox Kopp.

I'll never understand why anyone would want to play at a school where you look out the window and see a petroleum refinery.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Recruiting question. If SFA offers a player for 2019 is that a solid offer? Does the player have the option to accept at the time of offer?
Definitely. Most coaches will want the player to commit on the spot. The longer they linger the greater the chance that spot gets taken. If you have 3 spots open, you can't just offer 3 players and hope they all come back and accept.

I always say it, but recruiting is VERY difficult. There may be one player that you want more than the rest, but have other kids ready to commit. It's a very tricky game that involves so many elements, and requires a ton of strategy.

Sometimes you get kids that are ready to commit, but do you take them or wait to see if your #1 offer wants to come. I think that's the case with Chisom this past year. Wasn't a bad add, but I think there were probably better players and we realized we needed a different option (for different reasons).
No-look
So if they commit the school is not obligated to accept even though there are spots left?
sfa17
They probably contact the coach before committing. No player or person wants to be somewhere they are not wanted. And coaches are probably always contacting recruits. so if a recruit stops getting calls they probably understand what is going on.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

So if they commit the school is not obligated to accept even though there are spots left?
I've heard from several coaches (not just ours) of situations where multiple kids want to commit but there's just one spot left for example. A choice has to be made sometimes.

Nothing is official until the LOI is signed. There's been several coaches (Saban for example) get blasted publicly for taking commitments and then going back on it or trying to offer a grey-shirt, walk-on spot, etc. It's again part of the tricky situations that they get in, and can become pretty sketchy. A coach can easily say, "Sorry ___, we're changing our offensive philosophy and you're not the best fit for the system now." Just using that as an example, whether true or not. And scholarships are still one-year contracts. You may be committing to a 4-year school, but you're not guaranteed a 4-year scholarship.
CertifiedAxeman98
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

All of us "students" need to respond to his tweet and show him some love.

Remember, he's the Houston Chronicle's Co-Player of the Year for the entire Greater Houston area. He would be a major catch if we can land him, and he seems to be leaning in our direction.
SFAJack_76
No-look
Daniels have a Twitter account?
PurpleOut
Staff
Not that I've seen. Here is his video again though: https://app.krossover.com/intelligence/games/2009426/raw-film
No-look
Looks like would be a really good addition. Size and can get to the basket.
SfaFan15
Daniels looks very to similar to TJ Holyfield with the way he plays.

I wonder if his recruitment will pick up at all, doesn't look like he has any other offers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.