2019 Basketball Offers

217,465 Views | 787 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cboothe09
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Giannis plays for the Milwaukee Bucks. He is an All-Star and All-Pro caliber player. Nickname is the "Greek Freak". Dude is crazy good. Unfortunately I'm not sure his amateur status is still intact...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Why are a couple of you saying that Mitch may be gone? I don't see that happening at all. He's always been very positive about SFA on Twitter.

And where is information that Tylan Pope is having grade issues? I haven't seen that, and I look for info on him often. He's at a small Louisiana school about which there is next to no basketball information.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Giannis plays for the Milwaukee Bucks. He is an All-Star and All-Pro caliber player. Nickname is the "Greek Freak". Dude is crazy good. Unfortunately I'm not sure his amateur status is still intact...

I think the Texan is off his meds again. Anytime he sees the word 'purple' on Twitter he goes into conspiracy theory mode.
migata33
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Early signing period starts a week from today 11/14/18. It would be great if the verbal commits could come to Nac for the Battle of Chief Caddo on Thursday and do their signing there. Probably doesn't work in the middle of the school year on a week night.

After this year we lose Bogues, Fitzgerld and Grujic for sure. The question mark is if TJ will have a medical red shirt this year and play next year. If he does then you only have 3 spots and those are filled by Chisom, Hart and Pope. But you never know what will happen with TJ or Comeaux's after they are healed up so even if TJ red shirts this year you are not guaranteed he will be back next year and like we saw with Fisher you never know who might leave or get injured. Fisher's departure made room for Walker and that turned out good for us since we are down 2 point guards to start the season.
I think TJ is going to look around and if a higher profile school like U of H or perhaps Gundy gives him a shot at Oklahoma State he is gone. You say you are staying if you are staying. My gut feeling is he is looking at options and is not coming back. What connections I do have to the program are silent and silence in these type of matters usually but does not always mean bad news. With that said TJ has always been great here both on and off the court and I wish him well whatever he does.
No-look
I wish TJ the very best in whatever decision he makes. He has been awesome for SFA on and off the court. I really hope he stays.
PurpleOut
Staff
A lot of this, in my opinion, goes back to my comment last week on this generation of kids. It doesn't matter where they are from, they're almost all somewhat the same. Especially those that are highly recruited and have been told for years that they're amazing. At a Mid-Major program, you'll get lucky every now and then with a really good player that buys in, but a lot of the time you end up with kids think they are better than the school. And that happens at a lot of places.

It's a very difficult job. You have to find that medium of a really good player, but also the player buys into everything....not just themselves.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

A lot of this, in my opinion, goes back to my comment last week on this generation of kids. It doesn't matter where they are from, they're almost all somewhat the same. Especially those that are highly recruited and have been told for years that they're amazing. At a Mid-Major program, you'll get lucky every now and then with a really good player that buys in, but a lot of the time you end up with kids think they are better than the school. And that happens at a lot of places.

It's a very difficult job. You have to find that medium of a really good player, but also the player buys into everything....not just themselves.
Good post Purple..Great opinion...
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Great post. Captures the essence of recruiting at our level. Maybe because I was always that "above average athlete" and not the superstar I've always leaned towards the thought that your better off getting a 2.5 Star guy that has so much drive that he won't be stopped versus a 3 Star that thinks we owe him something. Softball is doing something great with just above average recruits and crappy facilities. Hope we turn the ship around.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

I wish TJ the very best in whatever decision he makes. He has been awesome for SFA on and off the court. I really hope he stays.
First, I hope TJ has a full recovery from the shoulder surgery. Recall that Ty never did. Second, I really hope he finishes out his college career at SFA. Mostly for somewhat selfish reasons, but also because he can be the leader here that he most certainly would not be elsewhere.

Unselfishly, assuming he is on track to graduate, I think he should fully examine his options to be a grad transfer. I do think the grad transfer route in basketball is a bit of a crap shoot. What has it done for Fitzgerald? And, it hasn't helped the team much. Ehab Amin left A&M-Corpus for Nevada, got booted when they ran out of scholarships, and ended up at a middle of the PAC-12, Oregon. Probably there are examples of where it worked really well, I just don't know about them.
Jacks4460
I really think after this last exit we will not go after those higher profile guys that might have some type of questionable character.. I just really hope Mitch stays arounds and buys in.. I think his mind is already made up and from his body language and lack of enthusiasm I would have to agree his mind is made up to leave. We are still gonna need to recruit our asses off too field a full roster (13 scholarships) for next year..
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

First, I hope TJ has a full recovery from the shoulder surgery. Recall that Ty never did. Second, I really hope he finishes out his college career at SFA. Mostly for somewhat selfish reasons, but also because he can be the leader here that he most certainly would not be elsewhere.

Unselfishly, assuming he is on track to graduate, I think he should fully examine his options to be a grad transfer. I do think the grad transfer route in basketball is a bit of a crap shoot. What has it done for Fitzgerald? And, it hasn't helped the team much. Ehab Amin left A&M-Corpus for Nevada, got booted when they ran out of scholarships, and ended up at a middle of the PAC-12, Oregon. Probably there are examples of where it worked really well, I just don't know about them.
Yes TJ could be the on the court leader we so desperately need.. I talked to him saturday and he is on track to graduate with a General Business degree... I said "dude you are kinda like a college free agent" he smiled and said "i know" and then laughed.. I let him know that we (SFA fans and Alums) were very thankful of all the time and work he put into our program..That is was because of players like himself that made us sucessfull and the BOR is now approving a 26.3 million dollar complex for future Lumberjack Basketball players.. He is a great great kid who will be very sucessful in the business world.. He is a humble person and at that age, the humble characteristic is hard to find in younger men..
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Spot on. Not just the men.

https://wbbblog.com/2018/10/28/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-winter-2018-19/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
No-look
With at least two or three more spots to fill, when should the "Whose Next" start heating up? After the season? Assuming we are after a couple guards, point guard in particular who do you go after? Juco, grad transfer or highschool? We can't afford to be short handed next year at pg.
nacluth
At this point, I'm looking at JUCO PG's - either kids coming out of their sophomore years with a proven track record or potentially a stud freshman. I just can't imagine too many grad transfer pg's out there - at least not at the level that we need them to be to be a true floor general.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

At this point, I'm looking at JUCO PG's - either kids coming out of their sophomore years with a proven track record or potentially a stud freshman.

At least one dependable, steady (if not great) floor general with some college experience. Two would be better. The alternative would be one JUCO and one HS grad, giving the HS guy a year or two to develop.
No-look
Would it be asking to much for a pg that would be a floor general AND shoot lights out? Lol
nacluth
I think Oddyst could develop into a solid PG with a complete offseason with the focus of running the offense. As the freshman third pg on the team, my guess is he didn't get a lot of prep to be the man this season. If he could be, it would be a great supplement. He's a dangerous size and I think ultimately will be a good talent.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I think Oddyst could develop into a solid PG with a complete offseason with the focus of running the offense. As the freshman third pg on the team, my guess is he didn't get a lot of prep to be the man this season. If he could be, it would be a great supplement. He's a dangerous size and I think ultimately will be a good talent.

I've enjoyed watching him so far. Think he's a good talent and we got a steal if we can develop him.
SFAJack_76
Are we still recruiting this guy?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I completely agree. He could be a solid point guard or if another point guard emerged or transferred in we could move Oddyst to the 2 slot.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Looks like a taller version of John Comeaux.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Are we still recruiting this guy?

I have heard that people named Luka are good at basketball.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

point guard? Stats?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

point guard? Stats?
Verbal commits has him as a 2* sg. Best I can find, he is averaging about 16 ppg and 4 rpg. Assist to turnover ration is 1.3.
sfa17
Verbal automatically puts anyone on their site as a 2*
SFAJack_76
No-look
Kopp would look good in a SFA uniform.
BigJack85
Unless we are going to make two offers it doesn't look like the Juco mentioned is anymore than a role player.
SFAJack_76
Are we still recruiting AJ McNeil?

nacluth
Verbal Commits says we offered (along with SMU) this JUCO guard yesterday.

No-look
nacluth said:

Verbal Commits says we offered (along with SMU) this JUCO guard yesterday.

Did we offer yesterday? I can't find it.
nacluth
Here's what I saw:

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/stephen-f-austin
Pilotgirl
To repeat what some others have said....I don't care how many stars a player has...I want them to fit it with our style of play/our program. That is the key to our success, IMO.
SFAJack_76
Brewton is having a solid sophomore year. 18 ppg, 4 rpg, 1.3 assist to turnover ratio.. Playing time has picked up to about 29 mpg in conference play. Perhaps more of a combo than a true point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.