THE Athletic Department Thread

49,036 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/7/18/general-jessica-dorsey-named-senior-associate-ad-for-external-affairs

Looks like she's well qualified.

I thought so too! Very excited to see where she can take us/what plans she has!
Ignastradamus
Not sure if this gossip belongs in the Athletic Department thread of if it deserves its own thread.

SFA to Conference USA?

https://footballscoop.com/news/utep-joins-mountain-west-other-dominoes-likely-and-possibly-to-fall-conference-realignment
Ljacks&Longnecks
Just say NO

Besides that doesn't fit the profile of keeping everything within the radius where 80% of alumni are located.
The one they made all the coaches do a video about.
Ginger & Jack(s)
Agreed!
SFASawmillGuy
Ignastradamus said:

Not sure if this gossip belongs in the Athletic Department thread of if it deserves its own thread.

SFA to Conference USA?

https://footballscoop.com/news/utep-joins-mountain-west-other-dominoes-likely-and-possibly-to-fall-conference-realignment

A couple of years ago I think that would've been the dream move for the administration, but we absolutely weren't there yet.

Now, if the call came I think the decision would be much harder than some people would think.

Pros:
-Obvious increase in revenue in football with the tv money and exposure and reigniting our biggest rivalry with Sam Houston would be great.

-Increase in competition across the board. Let's face it, the SLC is much worse than the WAC in any sport not called football. We will go back to dominating a bad conference in all sports sure, but what does that get us?

-Possible increase in student/casual fan support with more recognizable named opponents. A home game against La Tech, Tx State, or UTEP would draw a much bigger crowd than a home game against Northern Colorado or Lamar.

-We get to be in a video game again, which shouldn't be underestimated as a recruiting tool not just for football but for the student body as a whole.

Cons:
-Obviously we would not be ready for the FBS in a number of ways. Fortunately I do think Homer Bryce Stadium is still slightly better than Bowers, but we'd still have a bottom 5 stadium in the FBS. Competitively we'd likely be very bad for several years at least, and the novelty of hosting recognizable FBS names would wear off until we could put together a good season. Plus with how fast Sam Houston became decent at the FBS level, we might have to wait a little while before the Battle of the Piney Woods becomes competitive again.

-The travel issue that hurt us in the WAC would be back. We would need to hope the possible increased revenue we make could make up for it.

-With how saturated the FBS is getting, the chances of the FBS being split is becoming greater, meaning in the near future we may end up seeing 3 D1 subdivision of football, making the move much, much less likely.

Basically the only way the C-USA move would make sense is to benefit football. Sam Houston went all in on football and it kind of paid off for them, at least for now. We are trying to build a complete athletic department that wins in all sports. It does hold back Football a little bit, but that's when you ask what's more important, moving conferences for football exposure and revenue, or doing what's best for the entire athletic department regardless of revenue.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ignastradamus said:

SFA to Conference USA?

That article made for a couple of minutes of interesting reading but lacked any substance. As you said, it was a gossip article, nothing more.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ignastradamus said:

SFA to Conference USA?

That article made for a couple of minutes of interesting reading but lacked any substance. As you said, it was a gossip article, nothing more.
Saying that CUSA should go after Houston Christian is the laugh I needed.

Sam to Sunbelt makes sense if Texas St leaves. As much as I hate to admit it.

If CUSA is suddenly looking for 3 teams bc it lost UTEP(and NMSU/Sam), I could see it looking at SFA, Tarleton, & ACU as expansion candidates.

But I'm not sure that's a great deal for us.

BigJack85
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ignastradamus said:

SFA to Conference USA?

Saying that CUSA should go after Houston Christian is the laugh I needed.

Sam to Sunbelt makes sense if Texas St leaves. As much as I hate to admit it.

If CUSA is suddenly looking for 3 teams bc it lost UTEP(and NMSU/Sam), I could see it looking at SFA, Tarleton, & ACU as expansion candidates.

But I'm not sure that's a great deal for us.

We would need to get serious about facilities and NIL rather quickly. I think the facilities rehabilitation needs to happen regardless of what direction we go.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ignastradamus
Agree. Improving our Facilities will be help recruiting for decades.
Once the Facilities are built, we can then increase our focus on NIL.

Check out what Texas State is doing; perhaps we can something similar, obviously at a smaller scale.
I wouldn't mind dishing out $25k for meeting room naming opportunity.
Maybe even a $100k donation for a Recruiting Lounge in about five years when my portfolio has grown.

https://txstfootballcenter.com/

The purpose of moving to the WAC Conference was to try to become and FBS school, correct?
Getting an invite to Conference USA makes that goal happen, improving the SFA brand.
Sam Houston is leaving us behind as they continue to succeed.
But I do understand how remaining in a regional conference is easier for Alumni to show up to support our teams. Especially since we are not near a big city.

BigJack85
Ignastradamus said:

Agree. Improving our Facilities will be help recruiting for decades.
Once the Facilities are built, we can then increase our focus on NIL.

Check out what Texas State is doing; perhaps we can something similar, obviously at a smaller scale.
I wouldn't mind dishing out $25k for meeting room naming opportunity.
Maybe even a $100k donation for a Recruiting Lounge in about five years when my portfolio has grown.

https://txstfootballcenter.com/

The purpose of moving to the WAC Conference was to try to become and FBS school, correct?
Getting an invite to Conference USA makes that goal happen, improving the SFA brand.
Sam Houston is leaving us behind as they continue to succeed.
But I do understand how remaining in a regional conference is easier for Alumni to show up to support our teams. Especially since we are not near a big city.

We (most of college football) need to understand how "revenue sharing" is going to work at this level. Sam has had a nice start on this journey. Good for them.

Once we get the sense of how professional college sports is going to work, we can make a more informed conference affiliation decision. It seems to me that the Southland was not the "best fit" but the "convenient fit". Enrollment metrics need to improve a little more before we are positioned look at FBS.
Ignastradamus
We currently don't have the Alumni base to follow in our former rivals footsteps.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41952379/sam-houston-beats-florida-international-become-bowl-eligible-following-transition-fbs
SFASawmillGuy
It's not so much the alumni base, it's the leadership from the admin. They had a clear defined goal set a long time ago and stuck to it. It worked out for them. They're one of the sweethearts of the 2024 college football season and getting an insane amount of national attention.

Gotta hope we finally figured it out up top so we can finally move forward.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

It's not so much the alumni base, it's the leadership from the admin. They had a clear defined goal set a long time ago and stuck to it. It worked out for them. They're one of the sweethearts of the 2024 college football season and getting an insane amount of national attention.

Facilities….. we need an overhaul of our stadium and field house. Before we can look into FBS we've got to have better facilities.
AxeEm99
Hats off to Sam and all they have accomplished in the last 14 years!! They have an outstanding Athletic Director, Bobby Williams who had the vision to do huge things. Williams hired the right coaches at the right times in Willie Fritz and KC Keeler. The former President, Dana (Gibson) Hoyt and the Faculty Senate created a master plan to grow the brand using Football success that was executed very well! Now Tarleton is executing a very similar plan and is already seeing the results! SFA could have done something verysimilar but have been way too conservative in the past which has set us back many years. Hopefully now with the UT System, our new AD, and President, we can achieve similar success as SH and Tarleton!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy said:

I watched much of the Prison Tech - Florida International game last night, and if that's what a "sweetheart" football team looks like then the bottom tier conferences of the FCS are in bad shape. Conference USA is one sad sack of a football conference. It's no mystery about how they've won six games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.