THE Athletic Department Thread

26,946 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What kind of turd. Really.
SFAJack_76

TallTexan
Not terribly surprising.

If I were SFA, I wouldn't bet on one passing in this day and age.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Is a student vote mandatory?
TallTexan
Believe so.

SFA passed an athletics fee on student vote about a decade ago. But TxLege disallowed it, and forced them to hold another vote, which voted down the fee.

Not sure why the first vote didn't count.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm puzzled why anyone would be surprised at a no vote. For the average family or student paying on their own, why would they vote for more fees when many have budgets that are already stretched to the limit. College is expensive for most as it is. Many have no interest in athletics unless it's the big schools. While there are professors and Deans who dont support athletics I believe these votes come down to pure simple economics 101. Keep costs down.
No chance that SFA students will pass one either.

The fact that those of us on the forum would support it has no basis in the real world of today's college student who is footing the bills.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I'm puzzled why anyone would be surprised at a no vote. For the average family or student paying on their own, why would they vote for more fees when many have budgets that are already stretched to the limit. College is expensive for most as it is. Many have no interest in athletics unless it's the big schools. While there are professors and Deans who dont support athletics I believe these votes come down to pure simple economics 101. Keep costs down.
No chance that SFA students will pass one either.

The fact that those of us on the forum would support it has no basis in the real world of today's college student who is footing the bills.

Nobody is surprised.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
In case you were wondering about some of what Ivey does in his spare time.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

In case you were wondering about some of what Ivey does in his spare time.

The article paints a cloudy picture for college athletics below the P5 level. Dismayed.
TallTexan
Tbh. I'm glad they're being proactive.

I don't have much of a doom and gloom view of the future of college athletics for the FCS.

We're already operating without much outside revenue. One of our fastest increasing expenses is coaching salaries bc our head coaches can get generational wealth by being a LB coach for Texas. If he P4 goes to an employee model, that will slash coaching salaries, which will help us.

If the football blue bloods want to breakaway, that gives us the opportunity to rebuild regional conferences in their absence.

Losing the current version of March madness would be catastrophic, but they'll be shooting themselves in the foot too so hopefully cooler heads prevail.

But I'm glad to see FCS and 1-AAA is being proactive to build a better college sports ecosystem.
SFAJack_76
We are unbelievably fortunate to have this guy.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

We are unbelievably fortunate to have this guy.

100%
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
The turnover in the athletic department is extraordinary.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Due to moving "up" the ladder in their next job? For the most part I'm guessing that's the reason.?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

The turnover in the athletic department is extraordinary.

Who is the latest?
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Due to moving "up" the ladder in their next job? For the most part I'm guessing that's the reason.?
Mostly for better jobs. Kristen Bangston is following her husband who is the new O-line coach at Sam. Michael Landon, ticketing, took a better job in St Louis that is also closer to home. There are other openings down the organization that I don't know why they left. General Manager Lumberjack Sports Properties (Learfield) job is posted. Jared is leaving shortly.

At least one more that isn't public yet.
TallTexan
Where is Maulsby headed this time? Saw on LinkedIn he was leaving.
FBK_Lumberjack
The turnover in the department has been extraordinary for years. Since Ryan's arrival at SFA, the department has been one constant turnstile of people being forced out (for one reason or another), leaving due to better pay/opportunities elsewhere (because SFA's compensation is low), or people leaving due to being flat out overworked. If there was one major flaw in Ivey's tenure here (other than the financial hole the department finds itself in as he departs), its the mismanagement of staff and the loss of working wisdom/experience that the department retains that have caused the most problems.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that you're not a fan of Ryan Ivey. I'm not in-the-know on the department, so I'm not in a position to dispute anything you've said. But I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.
BigJack85
I wouldn't have a problem if we dragged Robert Hill out of retirement for 6 months or so to lead the athletic department through the transition to a new president.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I wouldn't have a problem if we dragged Robert Hill out of retirement for 6 months or so to lead the athletic department through the transition to a new president.

The guy that was in charge when the NCAA violations were committed that Ivey discovered and had to clean up? Really?

Anyway, it doesn't take six months to find an AD. More like six weeks.
FBK_Lumberjack
I don't dislike Ryan, and I actually think he did some really good things here. He had a vision for bigger and better things for SFA. He didn't shrink from trying out new things and he pushed others to rise to the occasion. Some ideas worked, others did not, but I commend him for trying. Complacency will get you nowhere in today's college athletic realm.

My comments were only pointing out what I feel is the biggest shortfall of his time here and how he chooses to run his department. That's just my opinion. He has his way of doing things and he sticks to it without being outwardly disrespectful or over the top aggressive about it, so I'll commend him for that.

I will say that for several years it hasn't felt like there has been ANY stability on campus. Plenty of that is absolutely out of his control (death of a president, resignation of another, three interims in-between). However the turnover in the athletic department has definitely contributed to that as well, and I'd say you could definitely argue we're not in a better place now as a result, and now he's leaving as well. Hindsight is 20/20, surely, but it seems that those who worried about the WAC move had some critiques that were well-founded in nature.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'll pass on Hill. Loree McCary will do just fine as interim. She wont rock the boat, just guide it until new AD takes over.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I'll pass on Hill. Loree McCary will do just fine as interim. She wont rock the boat, just guide it until new AD takes over.

The interview was less than impressive….
FBK_Lumberjack
Which interview are you referring to?
BigJack85
FBK_Lumberjack said:

Which interview are you referring to?

On the broadcast of SFA vs UTU or SUU. I forget which one.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

One interview, which I have not seen, is what you are basing your conclusions about Loree's fit to being interim AD on? I'm not going into details to support her in this position other than to say the members of the athletic department and the student athletes think very highly of her. She will not be outworked by anyone.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

One interview, which I have not seen, is what you are basing your conclusions about Loree's fit to being interim AD on? I'm not going into details to support her in this position other than to say the members of the athletic department and the student athletes think very highly of her. She will not be outworked by anyone.

She looked unprepared. That's it.
Buckets
Well, she had a half of basketball to get prepared (we asked her to do the interview basically 2 minutes before tip off). And as the person who conducted the interview, I thought she was great. I'm guessing live interviews aren't something she's done much of. It takes time to get comfortable in that.

76 is correct. I don't think you could find a soul in that department that doesn't love Loree. She's a "first to show up, last to leave" type of person.
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

No way he left the Athletic Dept a mess..
TallTexan
SFA hired an Assistant AD for Compliance.

Seems kinda surprising with an interim AD.
ServiceJack88
This has been in the works.
SCH890
Guy seems to have a decent record where he was before but I don't exactly get what his role will be.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SeanCHurst said:

Guy seems to have a decent record where he was before but I don't exactly get what his role will be.
NCAA rules compliance. A huge role.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.