THE Athletic Department Thread

25,640 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Their track coach is pretty dang good and I've heard good things about their other programs.
BigJack85
I like all of this

9 National Championships and more than 100 LSC and NCAA Regional Championships;
Nearly $100 million in new athletics facilities construction and renovations;
More than $40 million in gifts and external support for scholarships, facilities and team operating funds;
Top 10 finishes in the NCAA Division II Directors Cup every year since 2013;
New attendance and ticket records in every sport;
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Kat1990
Is this the end of Colby?
This guy fired his dad at West Texas and what led Colby out of there at WT.
AxeEm99
Kat1990 said:

This guy fired his dad at West Texas and led Colby to go to Commerce

Carthel will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to stay after next year in my opinion. He is a great guy on a personal level but has never lived up to the initial hype he brought when he came. Then you add the transfer portal and NIL to the mix and the slope gets slippery fast...
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Their track coach is pretty dang good and I've heard good things about their other programs.
They (WTAMU) have a very solid program, all around. Just a cursory look at the standings shows that WT does pretty well across the board. With a few exceptions. Hopefully he will be on the same page with the new President, and we can get some collaboration that propels SFA forward.
TallTexan
Kat1990 said:

I don't think he was hired to fire Carthel or that they won't be able to work together.

Now if the fall record will necessitate that is an entirely different question.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

They (WTAMU) have a very solid program, all around. Just a cursory look at the standings shows that WT does pretty well across the board. With a few exceptions. Hopefully he will be on the same page with the new President, and we can get some collaboration that propels SFA forward.

New President worked with him out at WT.
TallTexan
I do think this is a good hire.

But why did we need a search firm to hire the guy who's friends with & worked with the new Prez?

He'd have made the top 3 of the list if they outsourced it to us here on this board.
AxeEm99
At my former employer (in Education - College level), a search firm was hired and a top candidate was selected. After all the charade was over, the Chancellor then appointed his long time personal family friend to the ppsition.... The "search firm" was brought in just to meet the requirements of the position.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Kat1990 said:

I don't think he was hired to fire Carthel or that they won't be able to work together.

Now if the fall record will necessitate that is an entirely different question.

Exactly this. This fall has now become huge for Carthel. A meaningful bounce back season is a must. A lot of fans have been very unfair with their criticisms of Carthel given all of the unforeseen things that have hindered the massive uptick the program was having from 2019-2022(transfers, coaches getting hired away, etc). Regardless I do think the new AD does make Colby's job much less safe if we don't see us getting back to a level where we can safely say we're contenders again.
BigJack85
Does the new AD hire say anything about our conference alignment strategy???
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

It scream SLC to me. But that's just me.
ServiceJack88
SCH890 said:

BigJack85 said:

you best believe that it was part of the conversation when hiring. I'm sure decisions have been made with the new president prior to this hire. I think it is a matter of when not if.
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

SCH890 said:

BigJack85 said:

you best believe that it was part of the conversation when hiring. I'm sure decisions have been made with the new president prior to this hire. I think it is a matter of when not if.
I agree. Probably a done deal.

Hopefully the SLC goes BOLD. Adds SFA and ACU. Maybe grab Arkansas - Little Rock. UALR is a sleeping giant in MBB imho. Up until about 2017 UALR was consistently in the mix for Trans America Conference titles. The Sunbelt was not good to them, but the SLC might be a better fit and would add a solid program with good history.
TallTexan
I just laughed out loud at the thought of Tarleton getting marooned again.

What a shame for them.
ServiceJack88
It is now Official as Interim President Oglesbee sent out an email announcing it!
TallTexan
ServiceJack88 said:

It is now Official as Interim President Oglesbee sent out an email announcing it!

The AD hire?
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/3/18/womens-basketball-nick-carroll-named-director-of-compliance
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Strong hire. Think he can take us to the next level. One of the most impressive resumes in D2. A few questions in my mind:

1. What will McBroom focus on from a facilities perspective? Football? Baseball? Track and Field?

2. What do we do to put baseball in a better position? Do we keep baseball?

3. Student engagement? What kind of plan/program will emerge to improve student engagement?
AxeEm99
Here is the statement from McBroom that I find very promising:

"SFA is going to carve out a niche that results in record numbers of championships, graduates and support for all teams and all student-athletes. My family and I can't wait to get to Nacogdoches and start this exciting new chapter."

What are your thoughts on a Conference USA move since we are already Associate members in two sports? We can definitely bring home some consistent hardware in the Southland, but I do not think we are ready for CUSA, or would achieve much success or championships in the near future with that move.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hard NO to Conference USA. We are nowhere near ready for that kind of move.
TallTexan
We had a pretty good niche carved out in the Southland.

We are nowhere near ready for FBS football, but it remains to be seen if we're consistently ready for any level of football tbh.

I still say the right move is to hold steady until PAC 2 and FSU pieces are settled.

He does seem to understand the assignment though. Win championships, put butts in seats, and get kids graduated.

I know that's all ADs goal, but it's nice to see it out so succinctly.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

We are nowhere near ready for FBS football, but it remains to be seen if we're consistently ready for any level of football tbh.

I still say the right move is to hold steady until PAC 2 and FSU pieces are settled.

He does seem to understand the assignment though. Win championships, put butts in seats, and get kids graduated.

What does it look like if we drop football?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

What does it look like if we drop football?

Y'all don't want to hear my opinions on this....

But it's my lunch break so I'll share them anyways:

Football is a sport who's life long injury risk is too high and unlike hockey/soccer, there's no real way to mitigate that without completely changing the game.

As such, schools probably shouldn't sponsor it. And I think in 20 years, a lot of schools on our level won't sponsor it bc we're going to see more and more lawsuits over injuries like concussions, etc.

However, the tailgating, the pageantry, the band, drags me back in every single time.

But I feel like we could get a good approximation of that with Saturday night soccer games with a full band/cheer compliment.

I'm not gonna openly say we should cancel it but it gets harder and harder for me to watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.