THE Athletic Department Thread

36,725 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by SFAJack_76
SCH890
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

I'm not certain we'll get many answers on Wednesday. Perhaps McBroom will say, "The move is being planned now". "We plan to lay a full Southland Conference schedule for all sports". Football might be an exception. Maybe.

It's been stated accurately that student athletes are an integral component of the decision making process, for conference affiliation. The student athlete experience is important. That being said, we can all agree that the Southland Conference doesn't enhance our academic affiliation. Not that the WAC was 100% but Seattle and CBU are national universities.

I think it's accurate , to say that we REALLY don't have many other options?

1. I doubt the ASUN was "that" interested in adding a single team, that is more than 600 miles away (Florence , AL) . Now if we brought ACU and Tarleton along it might have made a little sense (better RPI than SLC) geography is bad but not as bad as the WAC).

2.The OVC is as bad as the SLC. 26 vs 27 RPI.

The big benefit for SFA fans, is proximity. I'll make more games just by virtue of being in Houston (HBU and Beaumont or close). I'm sure a number of people on this board will find SLC locales more accessible.

Ease of use wins. Sadly the case hear.
Why Ive just accepted our fate for SLC. Its really the only practical option. Unless someone we change the landscape and put all Texas schools into one but we know Southland won't let that happen.
SCH890
TexasFootball confirms Southland. But we will see for sure on Wednesday.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/05/24/confirmed-sfa-headed-back-to-the-southland-conference?ref=article_preview_title
SFASawmillGuy
SCH890 said:

TexasFootball confirms Southland. But we will see for sure on Wednesday.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/05/24/confirmed-sfa-headed-back-to-the-southland-conference?ref=article_preview_title

Alright, it's real, only thing to do now is go back to dominating our old conference!
MasterAxe
This is us breaking up with our girlfriend to date someone "better" and the crawling back after we realized it wasn't so great after all.

That said…zero excuse to not win a conference title in every sport.
TallTexan
UT RGV going makes me feel a little better.

ACU coming with would make me feel pretty great about it.

Some Tarleton fans say they've heard rumors of a Summit league destination for them.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Some Tarleton fans say they've heard rumors of a Summit league destination for them.

Is that an angle towards MVFC? If so, that would be interesting.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Summit League having their own football is the angle I've heard. Also helps shore up their baseball league.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Summit League having their own football is the angle I've heard. Also helps shore up their baseball league.

That being said Tarleton has a stated goal of getting to FBS I doubt the MVFC calls Tarleton , but if they did… what a dominating conference

In the SLC , even more so.
djsfw57
MasterAxe said:

This is us breaking up with our girlfriend to date someone "better" and the crawling back after we realized it wasn't so great after all.

That said…zero excuse to not win a conference title in every sport.
I'd settle for winning 25% of baseball games.

*edited to increase percentage by 5 - they won 18% this year, so 25% seems like a better goal.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
Matt from the Ticketing Department called me last week. First time I think I've heard from SFA athletics in almost two years.

Had a good chat with him. They're hoping to secure a 12th football game, potentially announced this week.

They're also going to try to play home games as late as possible to cut down on the heat. He said they're working on discount options for more community members, such as schools, churches, first responders to get more folks into games. We should be seeing a lot of content around getting folks to games as they're doing everything they can to grow crowds.

We had a nice discussion about doing something like Lamar's 4 for $20 deal as a regular feature, so that folks always know they can find a cheap option for family entertainment to basketball & football. As many of yall know, I believe that many in our local Nac/East Texas community are priced out. I did stress to him how awesome the premium level, season ticket seating can be( I was close enough last time I owned basketball season tickets to have coaching tip conversations with our visiting coaches. I know they really valued my input).

But the baselines in basketball, the visitor's side in football, etc are almost always empty and those would be great options to do fantastic deals for folks who can't afford season tickets or the premium level seats.

We also had a brief discussion about some theme nights to juice attendance and I also encouraged them to stop by here every now and then and do an Ask My Anything or other posts to encourage feedback.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Matt from the Ticketing Department called me last week. First time I think I've heard from SFA athletics in almost two years.

Had a good chat with him. They're hoping to secure a 12th football game, potentially announced this week.

They're also going to try to play home games as late as possible to cut down on the heat. He said they're working on discount options for more community members, such as schools, churches, first responders to get more folks into games. We should be seeing a lot of content around getting folks to games as they're doing everything they can to grow crowds.

We had a nice discussion about doing something like Lamar's 4 for $20 deal as a regular feature, so that folks always know they can find a cheap option for family entertainment to basketball & football. As many of yall know, I believe that many in our local Nac/East Texas community are priced out. I did stress to him how awesome the premium level, season ticket seating can be( I was close enough last time I owned basketball season tickets to have coaching tip conversations with our visiting coaches. I know they really valued my input).

But the baselines in basketball, the visitor's side in football, etc are almost always empty and those would be great options to do fantastic deals for folks who can't afford season tickets or the premium level seats.

We also had a brief discussion about some theme nights to juice attendance and I also encouraged them to stop by here every now and then and do an Ask My Anything or other posts to encourage feedback.

Good stuff. The "end caps" in WRJ are almost always empty. We could sell some cheap seats there and move the student section behind the opposing bench. At least it would look fuller….
SFA Jack Fanatic
Be honest, Texan. Do you really think voicing your suggestions to a guy in the ticketing office is going to make their way up the chain of command to the decision makers?

Good ideas, by the way.
jboy93
Just so I can understand the facilities question. I totally understand the baseball/softball concern but it's the football updates that I'm missing. The stadium itself seems to be fine (don't seem to sell out any games). Is the locker room and practice facilities that we are way behind on?
Jackdad22
Texan I do believe you are on to something. Great idea. I would just add that catering to the student body would help. What if money towards tuition Books or meals be drawn for each home game, you obviously have to be present to win. This may help student turnout.
TallTexan
I'm not 100% convinced it will be, but will also bug McBroom about it when I run into him.

Honestly I'd let folks sit on the visitors side for free or almost free considering how hot that side gets.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Just so I can understand the facilities question. I totally understand the baseball/softball concern but it's the football updates that I'm missing. The stadium itself seems to be fine (don't seem to sell out any games). Is the locker room and practice facilities that we are way behind on?

It's been a while so I'm quoting this from memory, but I think the football offices and locker facilities had quite a few leaks and other issues going on.

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I'm not 100% convinced it will be, but will also bug McBroom about it when I run into him.

Honestly I'd let folks sit on the visitors side for free or almost free considering how hot that side gets.
How do you keep them on that side?
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Wouldn't you do the same way you do when they pay for it? It can be cheap or even free but not general addmission. If the home side is so empty they can go over and find a seat no one is using, then who cares.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Wouldn't you do the same way you do when they pay for it? It can be cheap or even free but not general addmission. If the home side is so empty they can go over and find a seat no one is using, then who cares.
I care because I paid for that seat. Why should people that don't pay get to sit in the same, preferred seat? On multiple occasions, I have had to get people to get out of my seats. Volleyball, soccer, baseball, football, basketball. Some of those people have told me to sit in other, open seats like they did because we weren't there yet. Tell me why I should have to remove people from the seats I paid for. Tell me why I should have people sitting around me that paid less for the seat than I did.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

I care because I paid for that seat. Why should people that don't pay get to sit in the same, preferred seat? On multiple occasions, I have had to get people to get out of my seats. Volleyball, soccer, baseball, football, basketball. Some of those people have told me to sit in other, open seats like they did because we weren't there yet. Tell me why I should have to remove people from the seats I paid for. Tell me why I should have people sitting around me that paid less for the seat than I did.

This is the case regardless of whether they paid $2 or $12 dollars though. And an argument for only one price for all seating if SFA already isn't enforcing the seating rules.
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

That happens everywhere if the facility does not enforce it. Many universities and pro teams have employees standing there checking tickets. It's not hard to handle.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

That happens everywhere if the facility does not enforce it. Many universities and pro teams have employees standing there checking tickets. It's not hard to handle.
It's not hard if you have the money to pay people to do it. It hasn't worked with students. They don't like the confrontation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.