THE Athletic Department Thread

34,789 Views | 288 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by djsfw57
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I'm going to try and make this one.

Ask him about conferences if you end up shaking hands.

Consider it done. I'll hunt him down like a feral hog on a farm.
ljax1979
Saw that the Associate AD of External Affairs position was posted. Does anyone know if Wally is leaving or taking another position with the Athletic Department?
ServiceJack88
ljax1979 said:

Saw that the Associate AD of External Affairs position was posted. Does anyone know if Wally is leaving or taking another position with the Athletic Department?

He is leaving
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

ljax1979 said:

He is leaving

Bummer. I'm a big fan of Wally. I wonder if it's a case of "I didn't get the job" I deserved. Hard to say from my vantage point, but it feels like Wally was qualified from the standpoint of experience etc.

Wish him the best. I feel like he gave SFA a lot.
TallTexan
My biggest hangup with Wally is that his entire admin experience was under the tenure of one AD at one institution.

I don't think he'd have done badly, but I would have worried about the unknown unknowns he might have run into taking the role.

I hope the best for him though.
ljax1979
Good post, Tall Texan. I don't know Wally but it seemed like he had great ideas.

At some point I would like to see Ayo Taylor-Dixon as our AD. Alum, former athlete, high level D1 experience at a few schools. Jenny McGhee would be another great option.
BigJack85
ljax1979 said:

Good post, Tall Texan. I don't know Wally but it seemed like he had great ideas.

At some point I would like to see Ayo Taylor-Dixon as our AD. Alum, former athlete, high level D1 experience at a few schools. Jenny McGhee would be another great option.

I only had 2 interactions with Wally. Both were very satisfactory. Wally showed an excellent grasp of the metrics behind student attendance and student engagement/experience. I can't tell you how important that kind of information is , in our digital world. Where does Mike McBroom intend to take us? Idk, but hiring a "top shelf" D2 AD, is a good start. I think there's a genuine commitment to D1 athletics at SFA. Just what form will it take in the coming years.

Do we come to terms with our facilities shortcomings in baseball and pivot. To men's tennis or men's soccer. Either sport saves SFA some dinero Allows us to build in a niche sport.
ServiceJack88
Wally's last day at SFA was yesterday. He is now Sr. Associate Athletics Director for Championship Resources at Louisiana Tech. I wish him nothing but the best.
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

Wally's last day at SFA was yesterday. He is now Sr. Associate Athletics Director for Championship Resources at Louisiana Tech. I wish him nothing but the best.

Well deserved. Agree
SCH890
ServiceJack88 said:

Seems like we should just call Louisiana Tech Stephen F Austin Tech at this point lol.
SFASawmillGuy
Seems like we're a farm school for the Bulldogs now.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

Seems like we're a farm school for the Bulldogs now.

I'm just waiting for them to slide me some NIL money for my excellent commentary and then I'll be posting on their boards from then on.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93

TallTexan
Quote:

Jack Nation,

THANK YOU for the incredible welcome to SFA! From the first moment I stepped on campus, this has felt like home, almost like I've been here my entire life.

Why did I choose SFA? Most likely for the very same reasons you did! The People. The Place. The Possibilities.

I have been overwhelmed by the people of SFA and their pride and passion for the Lumberjacks! It's incredible! This is one of the most iconic institutions located in one of the most unique and iconic towns in all of Texas and the United States. When you combine special people in a special place with a common desire to excel and elevate SFA, dreams start to blossom into realities very quickly.

The tradition of SFA is rich. It's deep. It's generational. We must hold on dearly to all that makes this place so special. At the same time, we must move boldly and decisively into a new era of college athletics while honoring all that makes us iconic and unique. You have my promise that our traditions will remain
steadfast, but our motion will be forward and aggressive.

My pledge to you is that every single day, we will be grateful for the opportunity to represent this great institution and its people on the fields of competition. We will come to work with the mindset of getting better each and every day. We will do so with a commitment to excellence in all our endeavors.

We will play hard. We will fight. And we will win on the fields of play, in the classroom and in this community. Most importantly, we will do it the right way. Every student-athlete and coach will have an equal opportunity to compete for championships. Every fan will have an incredible experience attending our games, supporting our teams, and celebrating championships together.

Elevating all of our athletic teams and upgrading facilities are high priorities for me. I expect us to be the best in everything that we do. It will take ALL of us to reach our collective goal of becoming a championship athletic program that represents SFA in a manner that makes each of us proud.

Angie and I are the newest donors to SFA Athletics through the Purple Lights Fund. I ask that you consider joining us and show your support for the Lumberjacks with a gift of your own as we head into the 2024-25 season. In the coming months, I look forward to sharing more with you about our future plans and projects as we move boldly ahead.
Join the Purple Lights Fund
Purchase Season Tickets
Thank you again for the great honor to lead this storied program.
Thank you for your support!

Axe 'Em

Michael McBroom

BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Quote:

Jack Nation,

THANK YOU for the incredible welcome to SFA! From the first moment I stepped on campus, this has felt like home, almost like I've been here my entire life.

Why did I choose SFA? Most likely for the very same reasons you did! The People. The Place. The Possibilities.

I have been overwhelmed by the people of SFA and their pride and passion for the Lumberjacks! It's incredible! This is one of the most iconic institutions located in one of the most unique and iconic towns in all of Texas and the United States. When you combine special people in a special place with a common desire to excel and elevate SFA, dreams start to blossom into realities very quickly.

The tradition of SFA is rich. It's deep. It's generational. We must hold on dearly to all that makes this place so special. At the same time, we must move boldly and decisively into a new era of college athletics while honoring all that makes us iconic and unique. You have my promise that our traditions will remain

My pledge to you is that every single day, we will be grateful for the opportunity to represent this great institution and its people on the fields of competition. We will come to work with the mindset of getting better each and every day. We will do so with a commitment to excellence in all our endeavors.

We will play hard. We will fight. And we will win on the fields of play, in the classroom and in this community. Most importantly, we will do it the right way. Every student-athlete and coach will have an equal opportunity to compete for championships. Every fan will have an incredible experience attending our games, supporting our teams, and celebrating championships together.

Elevating all of our athletic teams and upgrading facilities are high priorities for me. I expect us to be the best in everything that we do. It will take ALL of us to reach our collective goal of becoming a championship athletic program that represents SFA in a manner that makes each of us proud.

Angie and I are the newest donors to SFA Athletics through the Purple Lights Fund. I ask that you consider joining us and show your support for the Lumberjacks with a gift of your own as we head into the 2024-25 season. In the coming months, I look forward to sharing more with you about our future plans and projects as we move boldly ahead.
Purchase Season Tickets

Axe 'Em

Michael McBroom

Made a small but meaningful donation (I'm already a Purple Lights member). I hope we get some answers about a path forward soon. Whether it's WAC SLC or ASUN is important, but the details of our mid term / long term athletics plan, are key.

I feel like McNeese has made a significant commitment, to being the top dog in the SLC. At the same time elevating MBB and Football as the key elements of a long term plan to improve the university brand. We can do as much or more.
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Quote:

Jack Nation,

Purchase Season Tickets

Axe 'Em

Michael McBroom

Made a small but meaningful donation (I'm already a Purple Lights member). I hope we get some answers about a path forward soon. Whether it's WAC SLC or ASUN is important, but the details of our mid term / long term athletics plan, are key.

I feel like McNeese has made a significant commitment, to being the top dog in the SLC. At the same time elevating MBB and Football as the key elements of a long term plan to improve the university brand. We can do as much or more.
I guess the only thing I'm worried with McNeese rise to fame in the SLC is that they are now the poster child of all things SLC. Hopefully it means nothing on us but always make me worried.
ServiceJack88
nacluth
You knew it was happening sometime. We'll see what happens from here.
TallTexan
Best of luck to Johnny in his next endeavor.
SCH890
ServiceJack88 said:

Best of luck to him. I wonder if we can somehow convince Hunter Dozier to come back and coach the team? I think that would be an amazing pick up. I think he's just doing minor league ball right now..
SFAXE93
Yes, and the Royals can pay his salary, they still owe Hunter the remainder of his $7.25 million in 2023 and the $9 million he's owed in 2024.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Yes, and the Royals can pay his salary, they still owe Hunter the remainder of his $7.25 million in 2023 and the $9 million he's owed in 2024.

Baseball contracts being fully guaranteed is awesome for players.
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

It would certainly be a "notable hire". Plenty of eyes will be trained on SFA. Let's get some facilities improvements before we throw someone into this mess.
SCH890
SCH890 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Best of luck to him. I wonder if we can somehow convince Hunter Dozier to come back and coach the team? I think that would be an amazing pick up. I think he's just doing minor league ball right now..
Alright the coach retired not so much fired... Much better story of the outcome. Best of luck again to him post retirement.
TallTexan
I'm glad he was able to retire.

He was given a largely impossible situation and made the best of it.
SFASawmillGuy
I hope they find a way to keep him on in some capacity within the athletic department. The dude is as spirited and passionate about SFA athletics as they come. If half the fanbase had his spirit we'd probably have the best FCS environment and loudest mid major crowds.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

I hope they find a way to keep him on in some capacity within the athletic department. The dude is as spirited and passionate about SFA athletics as they come. If half the fanbase had his spirit we'd probably have the best FCS environment and loudest mid major crowds.

Idk how McBroom wants to run his department, but that was a role we basically made for Wally and it's conveniently now open.
SCH890
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Idk how McBroom wants to run his department, but that was a role we basically made for Wally and it's conveniently now open.
Hopefully someone can contact him to apply. Would be amazing.
ServiceJack88
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

It's not conveniently open. Wally was in the running for the AD position. He didn't get it. He left!
SCH890
and there we have it.

We all expected it. People won't be happy. Lets just hope we see some brighter lights at the end of the tunnel. I still think we have some bright things ahead for SFA athletics.
Ljacks&Longnecks
No surprise here. Only surprise would be if it's not SLC.

While we await Wednesday to perhaps get a few answers, I currently am left to ponder the upcoming Fall sports.
Football, Soccer, Volleyball all have schedules set and season tickets on sale. Since it appears our affiliation with the WAC basically ends now, where do these teams stand for a conference schedule? Will these teams be playing a year with no chance to compete in a conference? At this late date would there be any attempts to work us into SLC schedule for any of these sports?

Since the powers that be have had plenty of time to make decisions, I hope....but rather doubt , that the Wednesday announcement will answer many of our questions on this move and the immediate impact on the sports that are less than 3 months away.
SCH890
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

While we await Wednesday to perhaps get a few answers, I currently am left to ponder the upcoming Fall sports.
Football, Soccer, Volleyball all have schedules set and season tickets on sale. Since it appears our affiliation with the WAC basically ends now, where do these teams stand for a conference schedule? Will these teams be playing a year with no chance to compete in a conference? At this late date would there be any attempts to work us into SLC schedule for any of these sports?

Since the powers that be have had plenty of time to make decisions, I hope....but rather doubt , that the Wednesday announcement will answer many of our questions on this move and the immediate impact on the sports that are less than 3 months away.
Maybe there was more done in the background but yeah does make you wonder. What could be cool go as an independent and make your own schedule up for a year and then find a conference next year.
SFASawmillGuy
SCH890 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Maybe there was more done in the background but yeah does make you wonder. What could be cool go as an independent and make your own schedule up for a year and then find a conference next year.

While a possibility I really hope this doesn't happen. This late it would be incredibly difficult to find FCS or even FBS non conference opponents after week 4. The postseason in all fall sports would be unobtainable if we were forced this late to build a full non conference schedule. We can only hope wherever we're going has already worked it out and built the schedule with us in mind, or is changing it to include us. And hopefully this doesn't take away any of our non conference games unless it's scheduling us a week zero game against NWST and taking away North American.
BigJack85
I'm not certain we'll get many answers on Wednesday. Perhaps McBroom will say, "The move is being planned now". "We plan to lay a full Southland Conference schedule for all sports". Football might be an exception. Maybe.

It's been stated accurately that student athletes are an integral component of the decision making process, for conference affiliation. The student athlete experience is important. That being said, we can all agree that the Southland Conference doesn't enhance our academic affiliation. Not that the WAC was 100% but Seattle and CBU are national universities.

I think it's accurate , to say that we REALLY don't have many other options?

1. I doubt the ASUN was "that" interested in adding a single team, that is more than 600 miles away from (Florence , AL) . The closest ASUN school, to SFA Now if we brought ACU and Tarleton along it might have made a little sense (better RPI than SLC) geography is bad but not as bad as the WAC).

2.The OVC is as bad as the SLC. 26 vs 27 RPI.

The big benefit for SFA fans, is proximity. I'll make more games just by virtue of being in Houston (HBU and Beaumont or close). I'm sure a number of people on this board will find SLC locales more accessible.

Ease of use wins. Sadly the case hear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.