THE Athletic Department Thread

25,782 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AxeEm99 said:

In my view, if SFA is not ever going to prioritize athletics, and make a solid commitment to have a standout program like SH or Tarleton (which will significantly benefit enrollment and provide free publicity for our school), why does it really matter what Conference we are in????

We spent like 30 mil on a basketball performance facility.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that we're not committed to having a standout program.
Puddingman69
The wac stinks, the asun stinks, and the slc stinks. The move from the slc to the wac was supposed to be beneficial but now we've face planted in the mud. It's bizarre to me that people would be mad about going back to the slc. I HATE EXPLAINING TO PEOPLE WE PLAY TEAMS IN UTAH when we have an entire plethora of same caliber teams in our backyard. I'm sorry but if you compare all of these leagues they're the same. Until that cusa bid comes it won't matter what league we play in, but to not have to make our athletes travel ridiculous distances shouldn't be warranted.
AxeEm99
TallTexan said:

AxeEm99 said:

In my view, if SFA is not ever going to prioritize athletics, and make a solid commitment to have a standout program like SH or Tarleton (which will significantly benefit enrollment and provide free publicity for our school), why does it really matter what Conference we are in????

We spent like 30 mil on a basketball performance facility.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that we're not committed to having a standout program.

With the exception of a few years of Basketball, we have never been committed to becoming a standout program since I became a student in 1997.... We try to talk a big game, but never deliver. SH had a complete vision for the University using Athletics as the centerpiece. It paid off big time and doubled their enrollment over a short amount of time. Now Tarleton is doing the exact same thing.... Very frustrating to watch!!!
Ljacks&Longnecks
WAC requires more travel than SLC for sure. However I hope to Never see a CUSA invite as that would mean FBS football and SFA is in No Way ready for FBS football. Took Texas State 14-15 years to finally put together a good football season and they had a better FCS history than we do plus the location in the IH 35 corridor with real airports and highway access.
Whether we are in WAC or SLC or CUSA will make little difference to the very casual SFA student in way of support. If our opponent isn't UT or A&M or Baylor then 95% of the students likely won't recognize the opponent.
The SLC would be better in terms of less travel with Texas and Louisiana teams but has been a poorly run conference with very low recognition or respect in terms of quality of conference athletics.

I don't believe the WAC has shown to be everything we were told it would be. SH and NMSU jumping ship didn't help. We need to get the new AD hired so that he/she can evaluate where SFA stands in the different fields of play and then decide on best course of action.
SFA Jack Fanatic
99 keeps using the term "standout programs like Sam Houston and Tarleton". Just curious, what, in your opinion 99, make them "standout programs"? I don't see it.
AxeEm99
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

99 keeps using the term "standout programs like Sam Houston and Tarleton". Just curious, what, in your opinion 99, make them "standout programs"? I don't see it.

I am trying to find the video, but SH AD Bobby Williams was interviewed a couple of years ago and discussed how the University President, Administration and Athletics worked together and created a vision for growth. They invested a lot more in Athletics (mainly football) than they ever had before to build an image for the University. They hired the right coaches who could get the job done (and still play in a crappy old stadium.) The end result was significant (mostly free) exposure to the University locally, regionally, and Nationally in multiple mediums that built excitement and doubled enrollment over a few years. At that time, SH and SFA had almost equal undergraduate enrollment!!!
Tarleton is following the Sam playbook!
SFA could easily do the same thing and probably run circles around both but we are too conservative and can't get over ourselves...
In 2022, Tarleton had 12012 enrollment, In 2023. they had 16,230 outpacing the majority of institutions nationwide. Soon they will double their enrollment...(and will win in football every year.)

BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ya. Not sure where you're coming from 99. The old SLC said that we (SFA) was the only school dedicated to excellence. Not that the old SLC is a benchmark, but we have put effort forward.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
I agree Tarleton State has it together and are on the right track.

It hasn't paid off yet, but it is only a matter of time.

When we went to the SFA football game in Stephenville we noticed construction everywhere.

In just the last year...

New Baseball and Softball Complex.

New Fieldhouse Renovation

New Suits and Football Stadium Expansion

New Tennis Facility

Plans for Basketball

Tarleton State University broke ground Tuesday morning Aug. 22, 2023 on a $110 million, two-story multipurpose arena that will sport NCAA Division I basketball facilities and room for academic convocations, symposiums, conferences and conventions. The Texas A&M System approved the budget and construction in May, with move-in set for 2025. Construction dollars come from Revenue System Financing bonds and are part of Tarleton's capital plan approved by the Board of Regents.

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I am trying to find the video, but SH AD Bobby Williams was interviewed a couple of years ago and discussed how the University President, Administration and Athletics worked together and created a vision for growth. They invested a lot more in Athletics (mainly football) than they ever had before to build an image for the University. They hired the right coaches who could get the job done (and still play in a crappy old stadium.) The end result was significant (mostly free) exposure to the University locally, regionally, and Nationally in multiple mediums that built excitement and doubled enrollment over a few years. At that time, SH and SFA had almost equal undergraduate enrollment!!!
Tarleton is following the Sam playbook!
SFA could easily do the same thing and probably run circles around both but we are too conservative and can't get over ourselves...
In 2022, Tarleton had 12012 enrollment, In 2023. they had 16,230 outpacing the majority of institutions nationwide. Soon they will double their enrollment...(and will win in football every year.)

To say that SFA hasnt focused on athletics seems off base. Between 2010 - 2020, SFA won 6/10 commissioners cups. Finished 2nd or 3rd in the 4 cups we didn't win. Only Sam was close. Winning 4.
AxeEm99
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ya. Not sure where you're coming from 99. The old SLC said that we (SFA) was the only school dedicated to excellence. Not that the old SLC is a benchmark, but we have put effort forward.

That must have been a day during basketball season, or while JC Harper was winning championships in Football. Any other time would have been when the commissioner accidentally brought a bottle to work....
SFAXE93
And SFA challenged GCU in the WAC Commissioners Cup in the beginning 2nd in 2021-22 and 3rd in 2022-23.
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

That must have been a day during basketball season, or while JC Harper was winning championships in Football. Any other time would have been when the commissioner accidentally brought a bottle to work....

Look at the commissioners cup results beginning around 2005. You'll see that we consistently competed Beginning 2010 we had a ten year stretch of consistent success/dominance. Are you saying we didn't give a ****. I think you're wrong or you don't read data.
Pilotgirl
Also, SH's enrollment didn't double because of sports lol
AxeEm99
BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Look at the commissioners cup results beginning around 2005. You'll see that we consistently competed Beginning 2010 we had a ten year stretch of consistent success/dominance. Are you saying we didn't give a ****. I think you're wrong or you don't read data.

Our program brings considerable frustration. Yes we won a couple of Commissioner's Cup's. Where and when it really counted, we were beat by Sam. They excelled and are reaping the benefits today.

And yes, if you listen to AD Bobby Wiiliams explain what Sam accomplished with enrollment and in many other areas, it was very driven by Athletic success....

BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Our program brings considerable frustration. Yes we won a couple of Commissioner's Cup's. Where and when it really counted, we were beat by Sam. They excelled and are reaping the benefits today.

And yes, if you listen to AD Bobby Wiiliams explain what Sam accomplished with enrollment and in many other areas, it was very driven by Athletic success....

We might just have to disagree. Sure we are not dominating today. But, for a a stretch of 10 years (2009-2019)we consistently finished 1-3 in SLC. All of our sports were generally finishing in the top 3rd, every year. With the exception of baseball we've been very competitive
Ljacks&Longnecks
"Our program brings considerable frustration. Yes we won a couple of Commissioner's Cup's. Where and when it really counted, we were beat by Sam. They excelled and are reaping the benefits today.

And yes, if you listen to AD Bobby Wiiliams explain what Sam accomplished with enrollment and in many other areas, it was very driven by Athletic success...."

The continuing Sam Admiration Society of one remains intact. Maybe they can give you a Top Fan award.

They did have their run of FCS football success but they will be mired in mediocrity or worse for many years to come now in FBS. So does that mean their enrollment will tank?

They were almost always behind us in both MBB and WBB. WE smoked them in Volleyball.
Their Bowling team is competitive but doesn't have 2 Nattys.
Yes they kill us in baseball as everyone does because we don't even try to be competitive there.
TallTexan
AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You mean the guy whose paycheck depends on promoting athletics claims Sam Houston's growth is due to athletics?

I'm shocked! Absolutely shocked!
AxeEm99
TallTexan said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You mean the guy whose paycheck depends on promoting athletics claims Sam Houston's growth is due to athletics?

You are one of the many reasons SFA is where it is today!! Can't see the forest for the trees!!! Once ypu and your friends wake up, SFA might finally move forward!!!

Our bowling and volleyball teams sure brought us a lot of free publicity that benefited our University. Sooooo thankful for those two sports!!!! I am expecting enrollment to at least double from that alone!!!
TallTexan
AxeEm99 said:

TallTexan said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You are one of the many reasons SFA is where it is today!! Can't see the forest for the trees!!! Once ypu and your friends wake up, SFA might finally move forward!!!

Our bowling and volleyball teams sure brought us a lot of free publicity that benefited our University. Sooooo thankful for those two sports!!!! I am expecting enrollment to at least double from that alone!!!
I'm not the one denigrating our successful sports teams.

Apparently they weren't teaching correlation ain't causation back in 97, but it's your lucky day bc the professor is in.

TLDR: Two events happening at the same time doesn't necessarily mean that the one event caused the other. Here's a great example for you champ. I'm a runner, but by no means a fast one. I can knock out a 33 minute 5k on a good day. I also eat pizza 2-3 times a week. If I go out for a run tomorrow and knock out at 23 minute 5k, should I attribute my success to the fact that I've eaten pizza 4 times this week? Or should I consider the fact that I had hurricane force tailwinds & was running downhill might have come into play?

Now some common ordinary yokel my atrribute it to my increased pizza consumption, but AxeEm99 is no common ordinary yokel.

So let's take a look at some more data. Sam Houston will never deny the fact that they primarily pull their students from Houston, the country's 2nd fastest growing metro. Houston metro has added 2 million residents in the past 15 years. That's almost exactly the same population as all of East Texas. That they added. In just 15 years.

You know who else has grown rapidly in the past 15 years? Houston Christian, who's nearly doubled their enrollment too. Any notable sports successes there?

Also worth pointing out that according to UH's own economists back 15-20 years ago, Houston ranked 2nd to last in the amount of college enrollment seats in the metro area. It hasn't gotten much better with the 2 million new residents flooding in. Meaning that schools nearby would grow even more as UH couldn't absorb them all.

If you'd like another data point, our friends at NDSU, who've had a little sports success over the last decade and a half, went from 14k students in 2009 to 12k today.

Now I won't deny that sports as marketing works. It does have some effect, but often overstated. Those basketball wins we pulled off sure helped folks recognize my SFA gear regardless of where I was in the country.

But to believe that Sam Houston's enrollment growth is predominantly driven by some FCS level football succes, we have to confront a very perplexing enigma. SImply put, if all these new Sam Houston students are so affected by football success that it causes them to enroll, how come they don't show up to football games?

Ok that's all it, class dismissed, enjoy the long weekend.
SFA Jack Fanatic
99, if you haven't noticed, no one is buying what you're selling. Put a lid on it.
Pilotgirl
Texan with the massive mic drop.

And, to AxeEm99...TallTexan is a huge supporter of SFA, both on the athletic and academic side. If we had more alum supporters like him, our crowds would be at capacity, we would have updated facilities, and our faculty/staff would be paid what they deserve.
AxeEm99
Don't dismiss class so quickly. I believe you forgot a couple of things. Tarleton is following the same playbook Sam Houston did and is having great success so far. They are pulling students from 105 miles away from a large metro area. Maybe I-45 and the growth of the area played a small role for SH, but I believe public perception plays a even bigger role. Football dominance provided just that for SH and most of the advertising was free or word of mouth!!

I compare it to a really good restaurant. If it has a really great perception I will drive and hour or more and wait an hour or more to eat. If it does not have a good perception, I will drive right past it.... That is the current SFA conundrum!!

Just to note:
Dallas to Stephenville is 105 miles
Dallas to Nacogdoches is 163 miles
Conroe to Nacogdoches is 125 miles
Houston to Nacogdoches is 142 miles
Not much difference!!

Here is the mic drop!!
AxeEm99
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

99, if you haven't noticed, no one is buying what you're selling. Put a lid on it.

Your point is EXACTLY why SFA has issues today!!! You cannot see any other view than through the conservative old sleepy Nacogdoches fogged up glasses!! We will be in the same (or worse) boat 25 years from now if that is sustained!!
SFASawmillGuy
AxeEm99 said:

Don't dismiss class so quickly. I believe you forgot a couple of things. Tarleton is following the same playbook Sam Houston did and is having great success so far. They are pulling students from 105 miles away from a large metro area. Maybe I-45 and the growth of the area played a small role for SH, but I believe public perception plays a even bigger role. Football dominance provided just that for SH and most of the advertising was free or word of mouth!!

I compare it to a really good restaurant. If it has a really great perception I will drive and hour or more and wait an hour or more to eat. If it does not have a good perception, I will drive right past it.... That is the current SFA conundrum!!

Just to note:
Not much difference!!

Here is the mic drop!!

I promise you no one cares about FCS football success other than fans and alumni. If you ask the average college football fan about NDSU they'll probably tell you they don't know who they are or won't even acknowledge them as a D1 school.

I'm such a big SFA Football fan because I'm an alumni, a football fan, and want us to be successful. But I have no delusions about it. Until we're an FBS school and have a JMU or Liberty type season, football won't bring us much attention, and I promise you it didn't bring Sam Houston any sizeable attention.
AxeEm99
SFASawmillGuy said:

AxeEm99 said:

Just to note:
Not much difference!!

Here is the mic drop!!

I promise you no one cares about FCS football success other than fans and alumni. If you ask the average college football fan about NDSU they'll probably tell you they don't know who they are or won't even acknowledge them as a D1 school.

I'm such a big SFA Football fan because I'm an alumni, a football fan, and want us to be successful. But I have no delusions about it. Until we're an FBS school and have a JMU or Liberty type season, football won't bring us much attention, and I promise you it didn't bring Sam Houston any sizeable attention.

You must not get out much....
NacMan
Double enrollment from a bowling team success? Now I suspect you are trolling.

Sam Houston has grown in large part due to its proximity to Houston. Tarleton State in large part due to its proximity to DFW. Pretty much every university located near a large city in Texas has been growing by leaps and bounds, including ones that do not excel in athletics like Lamar and UT-Tyler. Location, location, location.

If athletic success drives enrollment growth, why has SFA's enrollment dropped ever since the huge win over Duke? Even when our MBB team made the NCAA tourney several times, enrollment barely budged.

Since you hold out Tarleton as a model, would it surprise you to know that SFA and Tarleton have very similar sized athletics budgets?
Pilotgirl
I work in Houston, at a pretty large school district. When I wear my alum shirts, kids recognize it & talk about basketball.

The Houston kids ask about the academic programs at SFA first and foremost. When it comes to sports, they ask about basketball, and surprisingly, soccer (because soccer popularity is growing). Football...here and there. That's the audience/generation we need to adjust for.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

I work in Houston, at a pretty large school district. When I wear my alum shirts, kids recognize it & talk about basketball.

The Houston kids ask about the academic programs at SFA first and foremost. When it comes to sports, they ask about basketball, and surprisingly, soccer (because soccer popularity is growing). Football...here and there. That's the audience/generation we need to adjust for.

And no, I'm just not basing this off of my interactions but my daughter...who is a regional recruiter for SFA.
NacMan
AxeEm99 said:

Just to note:
Not much difference!!

Here is the mic drop!!
From Stephenville to the edge of Fort Worth is about 50 miles.
SFAXE93
Correct, when we were in Stephenville I saw the sign on the outskirts of town for Forth Worth and it was 60 miles.

With all the population growth, or the migration to Texas, you go right down the middle of Texas (I-35) from DFW to Waco, to Austin, and on to San Antonio, if your school is in that vicinity you are probably seeing an increase in enrollment.

SFA has always had pride in itself with the student to professor ratio, small classes, having contact with the professor if needed, etc. which is one of the reason I went to SFA.

But yes you need growth to survive.
TallTexan
AxeEm99 said:

Just to note:
Not much difference!!

Here is the mic drop!!
FW to Nacogdoches: 195 miles
FW to Stephenville: 77 miles
Houston to Huntsville: 70 miles.

Why did you leave out one of the 15th largest cities in the country and only measure from Dallas?

Care to point me to what football success Tarleton is hanging it's hat on? Is it the 1-2 record vs SFA since they moved up to D1?

Certainly we're not claiming that Tarleton's D2 prowess drove all that enrollment growth? BC if that's the case, that D2 football is so popular, then I'm afraid our next AD will have no choice but to drop the football team down a division.
AxeEm99
NacMan said:

Double enrollment from a bowling team success? Now I suspect you are trolling.

Sam Houston has grown in large part due to its proximity to Houston. Tarleton State in large part due to its proximity to DFW. Pretty much every university located near a large city in Texas has been growing by leaps and bounds, including ones that do not excel in athletics like Lamar and UT-Tyler. Location, location, location.

If athletic success drives enrollment growth, why has SFA's enrollment dropped ever since the huge win over Duke? Even when our MBB team made the NCAA tourney several times, enrollment barely budged.

Since you hold out Tarleton as a model, would it surprise you to know that SFA and Tarleton have very similar sized athletics budgets?

Tarleton is 105 miles away from the Metroplex on Hwy 67 which is much less accomodating to drive on than 59/69....

The Duke basketball win helped the perception for SFA but it was a one time event compared to multiple deep playoff runs and then a Natty for SH.

Ya'll have a great Easter. Im out.

SFAXE93
I think Tarleton State in football is a sleeping giant just awakening.

The moves they have made in football are now starting to pay dividends.

They took it to SFA pretty good in Stephenville.

2023: 8-3; 4-2 (on a 4 game winning streak) of their 3 losses, one was to Texas Tech, and the other two was a 1 point loss to Southern Utah and a 6 point loss in 2 OT at Eastern Kentucky.

Only 12 seniors on this team, of course we will see how they do with transfers.

2022: 6-5; 1-3
SFA Jack Fanatic
Wait. You forgot your orange pom poms.
AxeEm99
SFAXE93 said:

I think Tarleton State in football is a sleeping giant just awakening.

The moves they have made in football are now starting to pay dividends.

They took it to SFA pretty good in Stephenville.

2023: 8-3; 4-2 (on a 4 game winning streak) of their 3 losses, one was to Texas Tech, and the other two was a 1 point loss to Southern Utah and a 6 point loss in 2 OT at Eastern Kentucky.

Only 12 seniors on this team, of course we will see how they do with transfers.

2022: 6-5; 1-3

And Tarleton will make multiple deep playoff runs and win a Natty way BEFORE we do!! Not mention their enrollment doubling....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.