SFA President Search Thread

65,965 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. And of all the systems, A&M seems to be the most flagship focused.

Literally think it'd have to be in his contract & most importantly understood by the board, that we're hiring Perry to make us a stronger independent Uni, not to marry us to a system.
CrackerJackLumberJack
I'd say no go on Perry. Too bad about Dontavio. He would have been a natural. I think we need a builder. Someone with experience at public universities. A big athletic supporter. A fundraiser.
TallTexan
On today's flight tracker news, we got a fairly fancy plane from Des Moines Iowa, home to Drake University.

Their president is from Kentucky, but worked 8 years at Texas Wesleyan school of law. Seem like a big longshot though. But the dude has experience at Gonzaga & Drake, so basketball wise, it'd be a good fit for a President.
drhuggybear
Kentucky? Does his family tree have more than just a trunk?

I would prefer someone with Texas roots. Knows the people, culture etc. but if the right gu .... err ... person ... uh ... president ... Oh hell get the best person for SFA
TallTexan
Here's a candidate I heard suggested by some who knew him at Sam Houston. I've heard he's great & that some on Sam's campus would prefer him to their current President.

https://louisiana.edu/news-events/news/20180529/welcome-home-dr-jaimie-hebert-named-ul-lafayette%E2%80%99s-new-provost
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

I would prefer someone with Texas roots. Knows the people, culture etc. but if the right gu .... err ... person ... uh ... president ... Oh hell get the best person for SFA
Lol, I'm thinking he's likely going to stay up there. Likely just a random flight, but semi-fun to keep an eye on when we're not getting a peep out of anyone on potential candidates. I checked out the provost, but she had absolutely no ties to Texas.

Dr Dottavio was the coach Carthel of this search, the obvious choice, so I'm not sure where we go from here.

My personal favorite at the moment, is Dr Inga Musselman at UT Dallas. She's the current provost.
TallTexan
Another potential avenue is hiring someone from Georgia State. I love what they've been doing on Student Retention & Advancement. Only Texas connection there is Dr Mary Beth Walker, who got her MA/PHD at Rice. She's currently serving as interim President of Georgia Gwinnett College, which enrolls 12000 students.
TallTexan
I like this guys background.

https://lbj.utexas.edu/directory/faculty/harrison-keller

In charge of Strategic Initatives for UT Austin & worked as Director of Research for the Texas House, so likely a lot of good TxLege connections. Current Salary is 250k
Pilotgirl
My TED Talk for the day: Women can be and are leaders, Presidents, CEOs, etc.

purplitis72
Absolutely!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

My TED Talk for the day: Women can be and are leaders, Presidents, CEOs, etc.

Agreed. And there are some awesome provosts in Texas who would fit the bill. Likely a few Presidents too, but my assumption at the bigger colleges is that we're already priced out of stealing one of the Presidents.
TallTexan
I don't know how much we'll hear about actual candidates during the process, but I would like to know who we interviewed, even if it's released after the fact.

I hope our search firm is putting together a diverse group of candidates to pick from. That was always my hiring advice when doing recruiting. You can't be sure you hired the very best person for the job if all 10 of your candidates are exactly the same.
SFAJack_76
drhuggybear said:

It's still a little early, but I'm thinking that Ivey guy, from Kentucky, is working out okay.
TallTexan
Some excellent options on this list:

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septemberoctober-2016/the-sixteen-most-innovative-people-in-higher-education/

Notable:

Linda Johnsrud: Experience at UT System, UT Arlington. She's 70, so might be a 5 year length of term. Her kids & grandkids live in Texas.

David Laude: UT. Charged with upping grad rates at UT Austin, which were abysmal.

Tim Renick: Georgia State. An outsider, but read about how they were able to close achievement gaps with 1st time & minority students. Definitely a solid option.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

drhuggybear said:

It's still a little early, but I'm thinking that Ivey guy, from Kentucky, is working out okay.
If we could find the Ryan Ivey of college presidential candidates, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Young, energetic leader, with vision & accomplished? I'd take it.

No reason we can't make those lists of highly innovative universities.
TallTexan
Some actual real news for this thread: A profile of the headhunter:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2014/08/02/trolling-for-university-presidents-is-profitable-niche-for-dallas-headhunter
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Some actual real news for this thread: A profile of the headhunter:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2014/08/02/trolling-for-university-presidents-is-profitable-niche-for-dallas-headhunter
Interesting read. Quite a resume'.
purplitis72
Dr. Linda Johnsrud, appointed January 1st, 2014, as Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for the University of Texas System, served most recently as Executive Vice President/Provost for Academic Affairs for the University of Hawaii System.

Dr. Johnsrud built a distinguished career at the University of Hawaii for the past 25 years. Professor of higher education at UH Mnoa, Johnsrud published extensively on work life issues of faculty and administrative staff, with particular attention to issues of morale, mobility, and mentoring. She served in a variety of roles both on campus and at the system, including chair of the UH Mnoa Faculty Senate, associate dean for the UH Mnoa College of Education, interim chancellor at UH West O'ahu, interim vice chancellor for academic affairs at UH Mnoa, and associate vice president for planning and policy at the UH System. Johnsrud served as chief academic officer for the ten campus UH System since 2005.

Nationally, she was elected to the Executive Council of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), and served as president for the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE). She was selected as a Fellow in the American Council on Education (ACE) Fellows Program, serving the University of Minnesota System. A frequent speaker on campus and in the community, Dr. Johnsrud has worked with colleges and universities in Minnesota, Arizona, Guam, Japan, Korea, and Western Australia. She held a three year term as consulting editor for the leading academic journal, Research in Higher Education.

Under Dr. Johnsrud's leadership, the university established the public agenda for higher education in Hawaii that served as the basis for the strategic directions and performance measures established in 2008 for the UH system. Dr. Johnsrud also led the Hawaii Graduation Initiative, which has produced significant increases in the number of degrees and certificates awarded across the 10 campuses. She also spearheaded the expansion of the university's mission in the Board of Regents policy to embrace institutional responsibility to Hawaii's indigenous people, language and culture. Dr. Johnsrud may be best known for the creation of the President's Emerging Leaders Program (PELP), the 15 to Finish campaign and her strong advocacy of P20: Partners in Education.

In 2009, Dr. Johnsrud was named Pacific Business Woman of the Year by Pacific Business News for her leadership, service to the community, and as a "woman who means business."

Dr. Johnsrud received her doctorate from Ohio State University in higher education, and her master's degree from Western Illinois University in college student personnel administration. She also holds a bachelor's degree in English Education from the University of Wisconsin.
TallTexan
Dr Juan Sanchez Munoz has quite the resume.

https://www.uhd.edu/president/Pages/presidentsoffice-meetthepresident.aspx
TallTexan
Idk if she'd be a fit for the top role, but this sounds like the kind of enrollment leader we need:

https://directory.untdallas.edu/stephanie-holley
TallTexan
This guy has an interesting background, including some time in Texas at Rice. UA has been growing by leaps & bounds. He's been a Lumberjack ebfore, but at high altitude out in Flagstaff.

https://provost.uark.edu/staff/jim-coleman.php
TallTexan
UAPB is one of the highest rated universities in Arkansas by US News.

https://www.uapb.edu/administration/office_of_the_chancellor/chancellors_bio.aspx
TallTexan
Dr McHatton of UTRGV might be an excellent fit for this teaching college of ours.

https://www.utrgv.edu/academicaffairs/our-team/meet-our-evp/index.htm
TallTexan
Chartered flight from Chicago this week. In Nac nearly a day. Take your pick on what that might mean. There's only like 2 dozen universities in town.

Depaul's current President taught at UH Victoria & was Provost at UCA.

I'd say this might be the more likely option though for candidates from up there.

Salma Ghanem: UT PHD, taught for 15 years at UT Pan American. Current acting provost. Fluent in Arabic, French, & nearly fluent in spanish.

https://www.depaul.edu/about/administration/Pages/ghanem.aspx
TallTexan
Went on a National Guard reading kick yesterday and thought to myself, why shouldn't SFA hire a highly qualified senior military leader to helm the instituation? Most come with excellent organizational skills, advanced degrees, prestige, & political connections.

Here's two Generals that particularly stood out.

Major General Dawn Ferrell: PHD from UNT, head of Texas Air National Guard, was Director of Institutional Research & Planning at Vernon College.

https://www.nationalguard.mil/portals/31/Features/ngbgomo/bio/3/3018.html

Major General Tracy Norris: MBA from UT, current Texas Adjutant General, Iraq Veteran & has two hunting dogs. She'd be a fit in Nacogdoches.

https://tmd.texas.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/tmdphotos/leadership/bios/2019/jan/23jan/mg-norris-bio-tag.pdf

TallTexan
Any new intel on this process?
TallTexan
How about a Brigadier General & SFA ROTC Graduate for SFA President?

http://www.sfasu.edu/sawdust/issue-19-spring/feature-rising-star.html

Some of you may have seen Neil's profile in Sawdust this Spring. He's currently the commander of US Army's Cyber School.

Also, check out this quote from when he was picking a college:

Quote:

"SFA was seen as one of the best in the state school system," Hersey said. "Then I visited the campus and just thought it was a spectacularly beautiful area in which to live"

TallTexan
Scratch that. He was just put in charge of all of Fort Gordon & the Army Cyber Center of Excellence, literally this morning.

So I think it'll be at least a few more years before we can steal him away.
drhuggybear
TallTexan said:

Scratch that. He was just put in charge of all of Fort Gordon & the Army Cyber Center of Excellence, literally this morning.

Hard to steal someone away from their career when they make statements like this:
"About the time I was selected for lieutenant colonel, I had to finally admit to myself that I was a career guy. To think about where I am now I have to pinch myself. It's very humbling."

and like this:
"Our network itself is a weapon system and should be looked at that way. You have to defend your weapon system, and you also have to be able to use your weapon system."

He is where he feels he is best suited. Don't see him considering a life outside of the military anytime soon.
TallTexan
drhuggybear said:

TallTexan said:

Hard to steal someone away from their career when they make statements like this:
"About the time I was selected for lieutenant colonel, I had to finally admit to myself that I was a career guy. To think about where I am now I have to pinch myself. It's very humbling."

and like this:
"Our network itself is a weapon system and should be looked at that way. You have to defend your weapon system, and you also have to be able to use your weapon system."

He is where he feels he is best suited. Don't see him considering a life outside of the military anytime soon.

Oh he's definitely making a career out of it, but he's 10 years past manditory retirement age and they hit an up or out status.

But with this new job, it looks like he'll probably hit Major General, so he'll probably hit 5 to 7 more years before he thinks about retirement. Plus, he's got a pretty good gig.

We should start talking to him now to add him to the staff in 5-10 years when he retires.
TallTexan
Anybody got good intel on this process? Certainly we're interviewing by this point right?
BigJack85
I thought that they would be announcing the finalists at the end of June. I believe that was on the website SFA Presidents Search page.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
May June
Candidates are screened and top ~10 candidates are identified

June July

Initial interviews with top ~10 candidates are conducted
TallTexan
Gotcha. So we should be in the interview stage.

There have been a few interesting flights lately to Nac, including one from Winston Salem, home to Wake Forest & one from Livermore California, home to 2 National labs.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Gotcha. So we should be in the interview stage.

There have been a few interesting flights lately to Nac, including one from Winston Salem, home to Wake Forest & one from Livermore California, home to 2 National labs.
I believe all interviews at this stage are by phone. Correct or not, I heard there would not be any on site visits until the candidate list is cut way down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.