SFA President Search Thread

65,847 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Pay move is lateral, but we're a step above as a Uni. He's trying to build Tarleton into an SFA level school.

At SFA, he'd be helping us move up a level too.

He sounds like a top notch candidate and could probably help us move forward. My only concern would be his ties to the A&M system. I do not want us to be part of that system or frankly any other system. The only system in my mind that could benefit us would be Texas Tech.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Pay move is lateral, but we're a step above as a Uni. He's trying to build Tarleton into an SFA level school.

He sounds like a top notch candidate and could probably help us move forward. My only concern would be his ties to the A&M system. I do not want us to be part of that system or frankly any other system. The only system in my mind that could benefit us would be Texas Tech.

Big Jack, maybe we should pull this system convo into another thread, but what makes you like Tech over the others?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Big Jack, maybe we should pull this system convo into another thread, but what makes you like Tech over the others?

Two things specifically and a litany of things generally: 1) antidotaly I have heard that Angelo State has benefited significantly from joining the Tech system. 2) I have seen first hand (calling on A&M CC and A&M Kingsville the shackles that are put on the development of any program that doesn't feed into the mother ship.

To be clear I DON'T advocate us joining a system.

Last thing - that TAMU had to center the forest service in College Station under their banner is an absolute total travesty. In mind it would be equivalent to putting the department of urban development in Lampasas. A joke. The TEXAS forest service should be headquartered in Nacogdoches.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Two things specifically and a litany of things generally: 1) antidotaly I have heard that Angelo State has benefited significantly from joining the Tech system. 2) I have seen first hand (calling on A&M CC and A&M Kingsville the shackles that are put on the development of any program that doesn't feed into the mother ship.

To be clear I DON'T advocate us joining a system.

Gotcha. And those are great insights. I'm with you, on the Uni system. I had been thinking about putting together a post on the pro and cons of joining vs remaining independent, so wanted to get your thoughts.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Last thing - that TAMU had to center the forest service in College Station under their banner is an absolute total travesty. In mind it would be equivalent to putting the department of urban development in Lampasas. A joke. The TEXAS first service should be headquartered in Nacogdoches.

Ya, A&M Forestry service makes my blood boil. Especially after the debacle when they didn't use the funds they received to have wildfire fighting equipment ready when Bastrop burned.

And then they got rewarded by the State with additional funding to clean up the mess they made.

I'm not a fan to be sure.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Last thing - that TAMU had to center the forest service in College Station under their banner is an absolute total travesty. In mind it would be equivalent to putting the department of urban development in Lampasas. A joke. The TEXAS first service should be headquartered in Nacogdoches.

Ya, A&M Forestry service makes my blood boil. Especially after the debacle when they didn't use the funds they received to have wildfire fighting equipment ready when Bastrop burned.

And then they got rewarded by the State with additional funding to clean up the mess they made.

I'm not a fan to be sure.
Here is one I am in absolute agreement with you two on. The name change pissed this proud SFA Forestry grad off to no end. I fume a little every time I see it.
TallTexan
So it's March 1st, anybody got any scoops from February regarding the Prez search?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
So do we need to elect a representative to send to this meeting, or are we one of the groups selected to meet with as part of the process?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

So do we need to elect a representative to send to this meeting, or are we one of the groups selected to meet with as part of the process?

Texan, I'm guessing that the suits involved in this search don't know what The Sawmill is -- neither us nor the Coliseum.
nacluth
No insider knowledge here, but I sure have noticed Interim Pres. Westbrook at a lot of things lately. Hitting social media hard. Seems like someone is politicking hard to make that interim permanent.
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

No insider knowledge here, but I sure have noticed Interim Pres. Westbrook at a lot of things lately. Hitting social media hard. Seems like someone is politicking hard to make that interim permanent.

I don't know Dr Westbrook I have just heard very good things about him.. when it comes to being a forward thinker and such..
BigJack85
I don't know much about him either but I did hear that years ago he was a BIG proponent of the updating of many of the dormitories.

I'd like to see a president that prioritizes building our position in the natural sciences (biology, chemistry, geology and physics). Engineering would be an easy extension.
TallTexan
I just worry with how stagnant the leadership seemed to have become, going with an internal candidate.

Like, I'm going to have to be really sold on him.
BigJack85
Agreed 100% We've been stagnant. I'd like to see an outside candidate myself. If nothing comes forward that is a good fit I would think Westbrook would do a serviceable job.
SFAJack_76
Dr. Westbrook is another SFA lifer. BA in 1981 and immediately to work at SFA. ME from SFA. DE from A&M. To fulfill the interim job, he has to be more visible and active.

It is time to get someone with different experiences than just at SFA.
Jacks4460
I am with you then 76...
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Dr. Westbrook is another SFA lifer. BA in 1981 and immediately to work at SFA. ME from SFA. DE from A&M. To fulfill the interim job, he has to be more visible and active.

It is time to get someone with different experiences than just at SFA.

Agreed. It's good to have people like Westbrook around, but we need some outside ideas.

The Ryan Ivey of College Presidents. Someone like TJ Holyfield.
Jacks4460
Dr Dattavio announced his retirement from TSU beginning 8-31-19.. There is a message from him on TSU facebook page...
BigJack85
I would hope we have a new President by July 1 2019.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Dr Dattavio announced his retirement from TSU beginning 8-31-19.. There is a message from him on TSU facebook page...

Wow. Did not expect that.
TallTexan
On the academic side, I think the UT Dallas provost would be an excellent fit.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I would hope we have a new President by July 1 2019.

How do Presidential searches work? Will we hear anything about candidates before the finalist is announced?
sfajack05
Positives for SFA Lifer - they will stick around. Negatives - they don't seem to bring much change or open to change.

Positives for an outsider - new thinking, experiences, etc. Negatives - use SFA as a stepping stone (see Tito)

I think a perfect candidate would be someone that attended SFA but left Nac and worked somewhere else for several years. They would at least have an idea about the culture of SFA and the town but can bring new ideas to the university. They would also be more likely to stay longer than staying for 3-5 years then leaving for a bigger university.

My two cents.
BigJack85
No rumors regarding the new President....

I'm surprised. The next BOR meeting is at the end of the month. Hopefully something will come.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

No rumors regarding the new President....

I'm surprised. The next BOR meeting is at the end of the month. Hopefully something will come.

Was going to ask this morning if anyone had heard anything at all.

Would love to hear something soon.
TallTexan
The only thing interesting on the flight tracker lately was a flight from OU's Airport.

Whoever owns the local Rudy's flew to Albany GA and back on the Citation. Home of Albany State.
TallTexan
Also an Exec Jets flight from St Louis. No notable connections there in there 3 universities other than the Provost as UMSL got her doctorate at A&M.
drhuggybear
BigJack85 said:

Haven't seen Drhuggybear on here. Anyone know what happened???
Started a new job that has kept me hopping. Great career move but I am drinking from the proverbial firehose trying to learn the new system. By the end of the day I just walk away from the computer. Things are finally starting to stabilize to where I have time to do some personal surfing .

On topic I am really surprised that there hasn't really been anything said about it. I talked to my daughter while she was home on Spring Break and she said its quiet on campus as well.
BigJack85
Glad to see the Bear is back...
BigJack85
I looked at the Board of Regents webpage and it appears there was a meeting yesterday regarding a pending gift/naming rights ......

Interesting.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I looked at the Board of Regents webpage and it appears there was a meeting yesterday regarding a pending gift/naming rights ......

Interesting.

Sweet! Can't wait!
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

Interesting.
I saw a tweet from Ryan a week or two ago that said something about a big commitment he got for some long term sponsorship...
TallTexan
Interesting flight tracker from this weekend. Somebody spent Friday through Sunday in Nac and flew in on a 20 million dollar twin jet from Love field. Jet originated out of Palm Springs CA, but maybe have been rented to pick someone up from Love field. Not sure.

Also,we need to fundraise from the Denny Oil guy. His biz was located in Nac, he owns two Rudy's, and he sold Denny oil for nearly 60 million a few years back. He's got a pretty snazzy plane too.
BigJack85
If you haven't looked at the "Presidential Search" town hall video it's worth a peek. About 1 -1/2 long. Ryan Ivey KNOCKS it out of the park in my opinion. I mean what an articulate and thoughtful guy. He's all in and seems to have a true vision.

After listening to the complete video I lamented that it really comes down to ONE thing. We need a big donor to step in and help us get a couple programs that Quickly help us expand. Also, pay for some of the athletic facilities we need.

Check it out. It's under Presidential Search in the A-Z search menu.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.