SFA President Search Thread

65,775 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

I looked at the Board of Regents webpage and it appears there was a meeting yesterday regarding a pending gift/naming rights ......

Interesting.
I saw a tweet from Ryan a week or two ago that said something about a big commitment he got for some long term sponsorship...
I would suspect you are right about it being relative to this tweet.

Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

If you haven't looked at the "Presidential Search" town hall video it's worth a peek. About 1 -1/2 long. Ryan Ivey KNOCKS it out of the park in my opinion. I mean what an articulate and thoughtful guy. He's all in and seems to have a true vision.

After listening to the complete video I lamented that it really comes down to ONE thing. We need a big donor to step in and help us get a couple programs that Quickly help us expand. Also, pay for some of the athletic facilities we need.

Check it out. It's under Presidential Search in the A-Z search menu.
Thanks BigJack85
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

I looked at the Board of Regents webpage and it appears there was a meeting yesterday regarding a pending gift/naming rights ......

Interesting.
I saw a tweet from Ryan a week or two ago that said something about a big commitment he got for some long term sponsorship...
I would suspect you are right about it being relative to this tweet.

yes sir 76 thats the tweet...
djsfw57
BigJack85 said:

If you haven't looked at the "Presidential Search" town hall video it's worth a peek. About 1 -1/2 long. Ryan Ivey KNOCKS it out of the park in my opinion. I mean what an articulate and thoughtful guy. He's all in and seems to have a true vision.

After listening to the complete video I lamented that it really comes down to ONE thing. We need a big donor to step in and help us get a couple programs that Quickly help us expand. Also, pay for some of the athletic facilities we need.

Ok, color me stupid, but I don't see an A-Z search menu. Or is it on a different site?
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

BigJack85 said:

Ok, color me stupid, but I don't see an A-Z search menu. Or is it on a different site?

At the top bar on the main sfasu page look for A-Z search. Look under P
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Perhaps this helps.

http://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/presidential-search
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Perhaps this helps.

http://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/presidential-search
I for one am appalled that we Sawmillers have no one on the screening committee.

98.7% of the best ideas that SFA has had in the past 3 years have come from here and I will not stand for this snub. We picket at Dawn!
TallTexan
For what it's worth, the schedule laid out in the Presidential search thread makes it look like we're not hearing anything until August.
drhuggybear
Looking at the search thread now. Things I like

• "beginning of a comprehensive national search for the ninth president of Stephen F. Austin State University"
  • "we are confident we will attract and select an accomplished, visionary and inspirational president with an appreciation for the value of public higher education to lead SFA to its brightest future"
  • "Initial interviews with top ~10 candidates are conducted"

This should be an interesting ride. I just want to make sure they get someone committed to the University and not someone looking to pad their resume as they try to move up the "corporate" ladder.
BigJack85
drhuggybear said:

Looking at the search thread now. Things I like

• "beginning of a comprehensive national

search for the ninth president of Stephen F. Austin State University"
  • "we are confident we will attract and select an accomplished, visionary and inspirational president with an appreciation for the value of public higher education to lead SFA to its brightest future"
  • "Initial interviews with top ~10 candidates are conducted"

This should be an interesting ride. I just want to make sure they get someone committed to the University and not someone looking to pad their resume as they try to move up the "corporate" ladder.

. See Dr Dan Angel
Jacks4460
I wish Alton Frailey would put his name in the hat.. Very well respected administrator and leader.. Led a huge Katy ISD.. He is the type that will want to stay in Nacogdoches and not pad his resume..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

I wish Alton Frailey would put his name in the hat.. Very well respected administrator and leader.. Led a huge Katy ISD.. He is the type that will want to stay in Nacogdoches and not pad his resume..
Based on comments about Frailey and his tenure at Katy, from folks within Katy ISD, I don't believe he would be a good fit. I won't comment beyond that.
nacluth
Yeah I think people know he would take the job, but he's having plenty of issues with being superintendent here in Nacogdoches. While I'm all for fundraisers, I don't think that I want someone who is primarily that as president.
nacluth
Totally agree 76.
BigJack85
My ask is that we please get someone that has a STRONG background in the natural/physical sciences. Help develop our Engineering/Physics etc.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

My ask is that we please get someone that has a STRONG background in the natural/physical sciences. Help develop our Engineering/Physics etc.
I believe the Provost at UT Dallas has a chemistry background. She makes 250k I believe.

Sounds like someone who could help raise our academic profile & would have decent connections to Dallas/UT money sources.
Jacks4460
This is a good thread.. I have seen lots of different input.. Hate to hear that 76.. Yes his hands are full right now with NISD.. I agree someone with a science background and engineering degrees..
djsfw57
BigJack85 said:

djsfw57 said:

BigJack85 said:

At the top bar on the main sfasu page look for A-Z search. Look under P
Thanks!
TallTexan
Rumor has it that Rick Perry is leaving the Department of Energy.

His personal politics aside, he'd bring a lot of fundraising & Texas Political power to the position, if we could convince him to be a candidate.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

His personal politics aside, he'd bring a lot of fundraising & Texas Political power to the position, if we could convince him to be a candidate.
I don't always get your humor. Surely you jest.
TallTexan
It started out as a joke to a friend who was glad he was leaving the DoE, then I got to really thinking about it, & it turned into an idea that's not so wild. RP has every connection we could ever want as a University in Texas. His profile would bring a decent level of credibility, & he's known to be a great promoter & fundraiser.

I'll admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Governor Perry, but Former Governor Perry could be a big asset to the university for the next 5 to 6 years.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I don't always get your humor. Surely you jest.
FWIW, sometimes even I don't get my humor.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

It started out as a joke to a friend who was glad he was leaving the DoE, then I got to really thinking about it, & it turned into an idea that's not so wild. RP has every connection we could ever want as a University in Texas. His profile would bring a decent level of credibility, & he's known to be a great promoter & fundraiser.

I'll admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Governor Perry, but Former Governor Perry could be a big asset to the university for the next 5 to 6 years.

You can guarantee that we'd be moved into the A&M system
TallTexan
Ya that's the biggest caveat & it'd have to be understood beforehand & a clause in his contract.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ah yeah....NO
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

This made me gasp out loud.
TallTexan
Assuming you could lock out his desire to join the A&M system, this would be a homerun hire for 5 years or so in my opinion.

Sul Ross got 45 million from TxLege this week for two new buildings. That's nearly half of what we're trying to raise in our 5 year fund & they didn't even half to go to any donors to get it.

Perry's fundraising ability & political connections could put us on another tier as a university.

I know he's not a popular figure politically on both sides of the aisle for the common man, but when you're governor for 12 years, you build up a lot of favors with the monied class.

I'd give this about a 10% chance of happening, but if it did, I think he'd leave the university in a better position than he found it. He could go around cheerleading about the SFA Miracle for 5 years. Worth a thought atleast.
TallTexan
ExecJet from Lubbock stopped in Nacogdoches for 20 minutes today. Potentially flying in a Presidency candidate?

Not sure if we're at that stage yet though. Also, would seem odd on a Holiday weekend.
Pilotgirl
Maybe someone visiting TJ from Tech?
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Or, picking him up.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Or, picking him up.
That was my thought since it was such a quick stop, but the plane flew to Dallas & isn't leaving until after lunch tomorrow to head to Fayetville.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Or, picking him up.
That was my thought since it was such a quick stop, but the plane flew to Dallas & isn't leaving until after lunch tomorrow to head to Fayetville.

What are you using to track these flights?
TallTexan
FlightAware.com.

Code for Nacogdoches International is KOCH.
SFAJack_76
I don't think this link has been posted.

https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000475288-01
drhuggybear
TallTexan said:

Assuming you could lock out his desire to join the A&M system, this would be a homerun hire for 5 years or so in my opinion.

Sul Ross got 45 million from TxLege this week for two new buildings. That's nearly half of what we're trying to raise in our 5 year fund & they didn't even half to go to any donors to get it.

Perry's fundraising ability & political connections could put us on another tier as a university.

I know he's not a popular figure politically on both sides of the aisle for the common man, but when you're governor for 12 years, you build up a lot of favors with the monied class.

I'd give this about a 10% chance of happening, but if it did, I think he'd leave the university in a better position than he found it. He could go around cheerleading about the SFA Miracle for 5 years. Worth a thought atleast.
Perry would be interesting hire but it would make me very nervous about him trying to pull SFA into the A&M system. I am an Aggie. I grew up with A&M. Attended A&M. I still attend a game when I can but SFA does not need to be a part of the A&M System. SFA needs to stand alone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.