2018 SFA BASEBALL

77,560 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Solid 5-1 win at UTSA tonight. Good pitching and a nice 6th inning.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Seven pitchers, which I understand for a midweek game, combine for nine strike outs and one walk. Who are these guys and where have they been most of the season?
BigJack85
Crazy stuff. The reason they are still fighting is Cardenas....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Seven pitchers, which I understand for a midweek game, combine for nine strike outs and one walk. Who are these guys and where have they been most of the season?

Baseball's weird.
SFAJack_76
When your "closer" has an ERA north of 8, bad things are bound to happen. Sad to give away a game.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

When your "closer" has an ERA north of 8, bad things are bound to happen. Sad to give away a game.

How has Starks gone from being so good last year to so bad this year? How does that happen??
KirkHeath12
Woke up still in shock they blew that game
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

How has Starks gone from being so good last year to so bad this year? How does that happen??
Had to look it up.

Freshman Louisville Slugger All-American with seven saves and a 3.42 ERA.

Sophomore honorable mention all-SLC with four saves and a 2.39 ERA.

This year through 19.1 innings, one save and 8.38 ERA. 14 appearances, so this is not due to a couple of bad outings.

SFAXE93
Only 18 games to go this season, lets see what happens.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Only 18 games to go this season, lets see what happens.
Fifteen SLC games. Only one game behind eighth place Nicholls. As bad as it has been, they still can make the tournament.
Chuber
SFAJack_76 said:

. It was such a tough loss, the boys went down their to win. Our record sucks. No doubt about that, but those young men are still fighting to find wins. Gotta get key players healthy and keep them that way both mentally and physically.
PurpleOut
Staff
Got blasted by Corpus today, after dropping G1 last night. That's a home series lost against previously the 2nd worst team in the league. Instead....now we're in that position and potentially last after tomorrow.

We also lost 11-6 to Arkansas Pine Bluff last week (at home). Now 13-25 on the season. Sorry guys, we need to make some changes.
SFASawmillGuy
If there was a way to keep Cardenas on as an assistant, that would be great, but we need to find a winning coach. Baseball is the Southland Conference's most successful team sport(its a multi bid conference), and we're far behind.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Got blasted by Corpus today, after dropping G1 last night. That's a home series lost against previously the 2nd worst team in the league. Instead....now we're in that position and potentially last after tomorrow.

We also lost 11-6 to Arkansas Pine Bluff last week (at home). Now 13-25 on the season. Sorry guys, we need to make some changes.
I realize that we can't expect EVERY athletic team to be at or near the top of the conference standings, but baseball and tennis, both dead last??? Jeezzz Louise....
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Beginning to agree
SFAJack_76
My belief is that other than resignations, there will not be any coaching changes until the new AD is in place and has time to assess the programs.
TallTexan
I just couldn't see Hill firing a coach only for his successor to have to replace him.

I just wonder when we'll hear who is replacing Hill. We're only like a month & a half out from his retirement.
SFASawmillGuy
#ConqueForAD
BigJack85
You really think it's Conque????
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

Nah. Just love watching the reactions to the idea. While I wouldn't rule him out as being a bad choice for AD, I think we go for someone who has AD experience or possibly with longer standing ties to SFA.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

Nah. Just love watching the reactions to the idea. While I wouldn't rule him out as being a bad choice for AD, I think we go for someone who has AD experience or possibly with longer standing ties to SFA.
In January, he wouldn't have been a bad choice. In May, he'd be a terrible one.

To be honest, I get the feeling that we're going with an internal choice given the fact that we've seen absolutely no hint of news on the AD front.

That said, I think we need an outside candidate who can bring fresh ideas to build upon Hill's success. An outside candidate who can really ratchet up fundraising with their network would be a great fit.
KirkHeath12
SFA baseball RPI is 241 out of 297 teams. So there is that
SFASawmillGuy
KirkHeath12 said:

SFA baseball RPI is 241 out of 297 teams. So there is that
SHSU is 56 out of 297 teams...
SFAJack_76
A positive in a tough year.

SFASawmillGuy
We go from down 4 to up by 2 to down by 12 in a matter of 2 and a half innings.
SFAXE93
3-11 in the last 14, giving up 121 runs in that span; 9 runs a game.

15-31 with 8 games to go.

Tied for worst season since 2006 (15-41)

Chuber
He would trade it for a better season. No on can prepare to lose 6 starters.
SFAJack_76
Chuber said:

He would trade it for a better season. No on can prepare to lose 6 starters.
Understand, but you still must be proud.
Chuber
I am so proud. I see how hard he works. I see the bruises and sacrifices others don't see. Hes earned everything he's ever received. That nomination is wonderful but he came here to go to the big dance, and win it. So if you see him around town this summer it's because he's staying there in Nac to work on being better for next season. So to me he's already won.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Chuber said:

So if you see him around town this summer it's because he's staying there in Nac to work on being better for next season. So to me he's already won.
Absolutely, positively, 100% right!
Xathlete
I am a little late to the chat, but this is embarrassing as an ex baseball alumni. The pitching coach should have been fired already, No way their performance should be acceptable. 0 players of the week, and this was a given back when I played. Its time to clear house and restart from scratch, cant get any worse.
SFAXE93
Historically there should be a big bounce back next season.
nacluth
Isn't that just the law of averages after a terrible year?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't see how next year could be any worse. 15-31 right now is brutal.

Chuber
Lost 6 starters at beginning of season (pitchers) 3to tommy John 1 to a horrible car accident. Others to severe strains which benched them. Most teams lose an ace pitcher and can piece it together. I feel like as bad as it's been, these coaches took what we had left and made a go of it. Look at the games by innings you will see where the deficit lies and once that is corrected next season should be our best I don't know any coach that could have done any better. Just my two cents

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.