2018 SFA BASEBALL

78,222 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lost the first game of the series to the mighty McNeese Cowboys (5-11 coming in) 7-5. We ran into an out at home that could have been a game changer. Out by at least six feet. Don't get the pitching staff management at all. Behind by two in the sixth inning and have a reliever throw an eight pitch, three up, three down inning, and new reliever the next inning. And, new pitcher each inning for the balance of the game.

Announced crowd of 214. Maybe. About 50% McNeese.

SFAJack_76
Coach Keller and family at the ballpark.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

Coach Keller and family at the ballpark.
Keller's presence was of no help in a 12-3 beat down.
SFAJack_76
5-1 loss. 4-14 on the year. 0-3 in conference.
SFAJack_76
RPI of 280 out of 297 D1 teams. Last in the SLC. Sam RPI of 24.
SFAJack_76
Prarie View had an rpi of 290 prior to today's game with SFA. Coming in with a team batting average of .212, they got 11hits in an 8-2 win.

They are now 3-12 on the season. SFA is 4-15.
BigJack85
Just awful.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
17 win season, lets go!
SFAJack_76
14-3 win over Grambling to get to 5-15. Four home runs including the first of the season by senior second baseman Eric DeJesus. I got to see Eric play when he was at Diboll high school.

Off to Abilene for three games.
SFAJack_76
Jacks score four in the 10th to beat Abilene Christian 11-7.
SFAJack_76
Three game win streak after a 13-6 win over ACU. Five in the first and never looked back.
SFAJack_76
Get out the brooms. Jacks score early and often in a 16-3 seven inning run rule game at ACU. 3-3 in conference with a four game win streak.

Next up, TSU in Nac. on Tuesday.
Chuber
Good weekend of baseball I guess we're well on our way to that 17 win season. Good to see Kiminski get a win he's deserved more than this. Good team effort all weekend.
Chuber
Hope I haven't scared any one off this thread, by being the mom of a current player. I enjoy and learn from the comments it's why I joined over a year ago
SFA Jack Fanatic
Chuber said:

Hope I haven't scared any one off this thread, by being the mom of a current player. I enjoy and learn from the comments it's why I joined over a year ago
No problem. We're all still here. Comment away!
SFAJack_76
Chuber said:

Glad you are still here and weren't driven away by any of the comments. None of them are personal. We have some passionate fans that are frustrated that basketball is the only one of the big three sports doing well.

The sweep in Abilene was outstanding!

Your comments from a different perspective are greatly appreciated.
SFAJack_76
Following a seven inning offensive and defensive snooze, the Jacks stretched, yawned and scored 5 in the bottom of the eighth to extend the win streak to five with a 5-4 win over Texas Southern. TSU committed some of the worst base running errors I have ever seen in a game. Thrown out at home, thrown out at third by about ten feet, and running into a double play after a hit were the highlights.

9-15 on the season.
TallTexan
I take it that one of our pitchers broke his arm and when it healed he can really throw some heat?

Or some Nacogdoches kid is seeing angels around the team?

Or a new player accidentally stole his dad's prize baseball to use and somebody hit it over a fence?

Because these are about the only ways I can explain this win streak after the way we started the season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I take it that one of our pitchers broke his arm and when it healed he can really throw some heat?

Or a new player accidentally stole his dad's prize baseball to use and somebody hit it over a fence?

Because these are about the only ways I can explain this win streak after the way we started the season.
You need to take a break from the Boob Tube, Texan. Is it really that boring out there on the Left Coast?
TallTexan
It is now that we're two weeks post SFA basketball. I have too much free time that used to be dedicated to watching basketball.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

We always get on a run. Every season. And then always fall apart at the end. Hopefully this time we can finish but this win streak is nothing new.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

We always get on a run. Every season. And then always fall apart at the end. Hopefully this time we can finish but this win streak is nothing new.
In the twelve full seasons since SFA resumed baseball, five seasons have had a win streak of five games or longer. This year makes 6 out of 13. No, this is not new, but it is special.

Fun fact, in 1995 (the last season before baseball was dropped) the team was 2-40. 0-24 in conference.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

In the twelve full seasons since SFA resumed baseball, five seasons have had a win streak of five games or longer. This year makes 6 out of 13. No, this is not new, but it is special.

Fun fact, in 1995 (the last season before baseball was dropped) the team was 2-40. 0-24 in conference.
Meh, baseball is such a hard sport to judge when something is special though. We do go on these runs of 5-10 games, but then we'll go through a losing streak so bad it evens out. Something special to me would be finishing above .500 and making it deep/winning the conference tournament.

Not to diminish this team's accomplishment, because they should be excited. But they need to take this momentum and carry it. Not let it all go away when we finally lose again. If we lose and then get right back at it and win 2 or 3 straight following the loss, it'll be special.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I wouldn't call that a "fun" fact.
TallTexan
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I wouldn't call that a "fun" fact.
More fun than if we had been 40-2 before dropping the program. Atleast this way it looked justified.
SFASawmillGuy
Well after today's stinker now it's time to see if we can successfully bounce back.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Well after today's stinker now it's time to see if we can successfully bounce back.
SFA starting pitcher had no clue about the strike zone in two plus innings. UIW starting pitcher was really good. 9 k's and 0 walks. Had command of the strike zone.
SFAJack_76
Someone needs to make a trip to Abilene and recover the team that swept ACU.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Nope. No bounce back. Pitching is sad. Very, very sad.
SFAJack_76
3-2 loss to the Demons in a game that was suspended after 2 2/3 on Friday due to rain, resuming at 8 PM Saturday. Gave this one away.

Jacks score a run in the top of the fourth. Demons tie it in the bottom with three walks and a ground out. 1-1

Jacks go ahead in the top of the fifth. Demons tie it in the bottom with a two out triple and a wild pitch. 2-2

Bottom of sixth, Hearn has a 13 pitch, 3 up/3 down inning and only pitches the one inning. Why?

Bottom of the seventh, Gamez strikes out the side on 18 pitches and only pitches one inning. Why?

Top of the eighth, lead off single with the 2, 3, and 4 hitters coming up! Runner thrown out stealing. Augie Garrido, the best college coach ever, would have bunted him over and trusted the three or clean up guy to bring him in. Nope. Not us.

Bottom of eighth, NSU scores with a lead off double, sac bunt, walks and error. Again, with the success that both Hearn and Gamez had, why were they pulled after one inning. What are you saving them for?

Top nine, lead off single! Pinch runner picked off first. Two out double by DeJesus! Pinch runner picked off second. Ballgame.

Baseball fundamentals and game management.

I. Don't. Understand.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

3-2 loss to the Demons in a game that was suspended after 2 2/3 on Friday due to rain, resuming at 8 PM Saturday. Gave this one away.

Jacks score a run in the top of the fourth. Demons tie it in the bottom with three walks and a ground out. 1-1

Jacks go ahead in the top of the fifth. Demons tie it in the bottom with a two out triple and a wild pitch. 2-2

Bottom of sixth, Hearn has a 13 pitch, 3 up/3 down inning and only pitches the one inning. Why?

Bottom of the seventh, Gamez strikes out the side on 18 pitches and only pitches one inning. Why?

Top of the eighth, lead off single with the 2, 3, and 4 hitters coming up! Runner thrown out stealing. Augie Garrido, the best college coach ever, would have bunted him over and trusted the three or clean up guy to bring him in. Nope. Not us.

Bottom of eighth, NSU scores with a lead off double, sac bunt, walks and error. Again, with the success that both Hearn and Gamez had, why were they pulled after one inning. What are you saving them for?

Top nine, lead off single! Pinch runner picked off first. Two out double by DeJesus! Pinch runner picked off second. Ballgame.

Baseball fundamentals and game management.

I. Don't. Understand.
That is some wacky play-calling and horrible base-running.
SFASawmillGuy
Coaching feels very phoned in at this point.
SFAJack_76
First of today's two:

SFA 2/4/3
NSU 16/14/0

nacluth
Hmm...more runs than hits on the board for NSU. That's rough way to try to beat teams. Of course having more errors than runs is also a hard way to win. I guess that's why we didn't.
SFAJack_76
Largely due to 4 2/3 perfect relief from freshman Dru Dziedzic, the Jacks salvage one in Natchitoches in a 6-5, 15 inning game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.