2018 SFA BASEBALL

77,545 Views | 307 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Is Cape Cod a wood bat league?
Has been in the past, I assume it still is. Several years ago I coached a very talented young man in Babe Ruth baseball who later pitched at UH and played in the Cape Cod League for two summers. I followed his progress there.

He later was the #1 pick in the MLB Draft, selected by the Pittsburg Pirates. Had Tommy John surgery and didn't stay in the Bigs for very long.
TallTexan
One further thought on the ballpark on campus. What if we combined it with the soccer stadium?

Dell Diamond in Round Rock has hosted Liga MX teams, Cleburne Station Minor League Park is setup to host FC Cleburne as well, as seen below.

It might not make sense to pay 14 million for Softball & Baseball alone, but if you could kill 3 birds with 1 stone, it might be a more interesting proposition.
SFAJack_76
A proper soccer field, and what we have now, has a crown with 1- 2% slope. To have an occasional soccer match at a baseball field is okay, but not for a season. I suspect the baseball coach would not want a full season of wear and tear on his field.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Several great ideas have been presented here. Now, who is going to be making our formal presentation to the Regents? I assume it would be someone who's in Nac.

Nacluth, there's a Board meeting coming up very soon. How quickly can you have your plans and PowerPoint ready to go?
nacluth
Just need a Sawmill polo to wear to the meeting and I'm ready.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
nacluth said:

An official polo? You know we're on a budget over here. Just get a sharpie and write Sawmill on the front of one of your regular polos.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

An official polo? You know we're on a budget over here. Just get a sharpie and write Sawmill on the front of one of your regular polos.

Polo? I use a Hanes undershirt. A used one.
SFAJack_76
I hate the off season.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I hate the off season.
It's not the off-season, it's the AD hiring season!
BigJack85
Our dreams.... someone else's money.

Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Chuber
Nope we have to work , one graduates in July and Huber's got one more year and SFA ain't cheap. We will be cheering from our couch
Chuber
Still a wood bat league. What a great thing your player got a shot most only dream of. Good job coach. Jarrod knows this invite doesn't come often to players from small D 1 schools. This is the challenge he's prayed for.
nacluth
Keep us updated. We will love to hear about his progress.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Chuber
Brewster Whitecaps game broadcast on you tube. 1st game June 12th. Did y'all see Dozier HR!!!!!
nacluth
Will try to catch the game.

We gave Dozier his own thread over in the "Pro Sports" sub forum. Awesome stuff.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Rising senior Trayson Kubo. 2-0 with a 0.98 era in two starts for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters of the Northwoods League.

SFAJack_76

Rising sophomore Jared Martin playing for the Hays Larks of the Jayhawk League.

SFAXE93

https://sfajacks.com/news/2018/6/6/martin-named-2018-collegiate-baseball-newspaper-freshman-all-american.aspx
TallTexan
Any of you guys experts on these summer baseball leagues? How do they work? Are they mostly made up of college kids?

Do we have any of these teams in Texas?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Any of you guys experts on these summer baseball leagues? How do they work? Are they mostly made up of college kids?

Do we have any of these teams in Texas?
I have not searched rosters to find any SFA guys.

http://www.texascollegiateleague.com/
Chuber
Jarrod Huber did great in the cape league. He covered for the Stanford catchers and they came in earlier than projected. He caught 4 games and met some great talent , he hopes he represented well in the minimal time given. Headed back to Nac today but he has been invited to play in the Coasta Plains league but is ready to focus on getting better for the upcoming season. Did y'all get that new ballpark approved yet ?
Chuber
Texarkana Twins two players. Hutchison Monarchs 2 players MHCBL. Batters Box 1 player MHCBl Hays Larks 1 player That's all I know at this time of SFA players on summer league teams
TallTexan
Chuber said:

Jarrod Huber did great in the cape league. He covered for the Stanford catchers and they came in earlier than projected. He caught 4 games and met some great talent , he hopes he represented well in the minimal time given. Headed back to Nac today but he has been invited to play in the Coasta Plains league but is ready to focus on getting better for the upcoming season. Did y'all get that new ballpark approved yet ?
Glad to hear he did well.

And we're working on the new ballpark approval, just waiting for Dozier to sign a max contract.
nacluth
Nice to see Dozier play the Rangers this week. Of course he's doing fine on a terrible Royals team.
TallTexan
Shout out to Cardenas. Dude likely won't know for sure he's coaching next year until Ivey gets on campus & he's still out working his tail off signing kids to make the Jacks better. Great job coach!
SFAJack_76
Johnny seems a little bitter. I wonder who?

nacluth
I don't know, but not really a good look...even if true.
TallTexan
Per chance a comment on one of the CWS players?
nacluth
Maybe so, but still it sounds tacky, but I still like his passion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.