2023 Volleyball

14,336 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFA88
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

GCU wins set 3 (2-1 GCU)

Ladyjacks were down 23-19 and successfully defended 4 match points from there. But they had two! service errors tied in extras. Those may cost the match.

Need two set wins in a row.

Get around those blocks
nacluth
Down 14-7 in the fourth. All GCU right now.
nacluth
GCU wins their first volleyball championship.

SFA has to lean heavy on NCAA committee. It would be a first for SFA to get an at large.
TallTexan
Man I hate this. That team is too good for it to end without an invite.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Man I hate this. That team is too good for it to end without an invite.

RPI is probably the best case we can make. Should stay around 40. Losses to Baylor and Arizona Stallone wouldn't hurt. S Alabama will probably make the tournament.

It's a long shot. Fingers crossed. The Ladyjacks are deserving.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

That sophomore Tatum Parrott….. yikes. She was on fire. Absolutely a historic performance. How do you beat that?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'll repeat what I said earlier. Post season conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are stupid, stupid, stupid. They only tend to hurt more deserving teams. Tonight was a classic example.
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

That sophomore Tatum Parrott….. yikes. She was on fire. Absolutely a historic performance. How do you beat that?
She had 30 kills and 19 digs and Klair Mitchell had 49 assist and 25 digs. I still believe SFA was the best team but their two best players had an exceptional match. Kudos to them.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'll repeat what I said earlier. Post season conference tournaments in one-bid conferences are stupid, stupid, stupid. They only tend to hurt more deserving teams. Tonight was a classic example.
I don't disagree, but last season I was all for it.
SFAJack_76
What a great season, with a tough ending. 18-1 in conference matches, with the only loss coming in the only game you can't lose. I will never comment on specific injuries, but we have two girls that have been battling through some very tough situations. Women athletes almost never get enough credit for how hard they work, and how much they put their bodies through.

November 26, is the NCAA selection. I think we have a reasonable shot at an at-large. Win yesterday, and not only are we in, but I think had a good shot at a 3-seed in a regional. Now, if we get a bid, it's probably a 4-seed back in Austin or Waco. If we don't get the NCAA bid, we are an automatic for the NIVC, and probably host the first two rounds.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
nacluth
Patiently watching the selection show. Of course the Texas teams are last to be announced.
Pilotgirl
WE ARE INNNNNN!!!!

Play 3 seed Arkansas on Friday
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

WE ARE INNNNNN!!!!

Play 3 seed Arkansas on Friday
OMG I have to admit I am shocked. What a wonderful surprise! They definitely earned their spot.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
nacluth
Good for them. A first round matchup against the #9 team in the nation is about as tough as a pull as the Ladyjacks usually get, but the point is that we're in again.

An at large bid may be one of the really great accomplishments of coach's career.
BigJack85
Awesomeness. Axe ' Em Jacks
SFASawmillGuy
An at large bid is the reason we changed conferences. We knew moving to the WAC meant harder competition. It was going to always be harder to win tournaments or the conference. But it makes our wins mean more! The Ladyjacks earned it, and got the privilege of being the first Lumberjack squad to prove leaving the conference we were just on another level from was 100% worth it!

Credit to Ryan Ivey to improving SFA Athletics miles in just a few years when we were truly stagnant for over 20 years prior! He is the man who will bring SFA athletics to being nationally recognized not as a top basketball team. Not as a top FCS team. As a top mid major athletic program!
SFAXE93
Also, it always helps with recruiting, as your program's prestige grows.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Arkansas is going to be tough. 25-5. Two of those losses were to #1 Wisconsin (one was a 3-2 match) and two to SEC champion #8 Kentucky.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Arkansas is going to be tough. 25-5. Two of those losses were to #1 Wisconsin (one was a 3-2 match) and two to SEC champion #8 Kentucky.
But we got in!!! The girls are so excited...and it's someone else besides Texas or Baylor LOL
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

An at large bid is the reason we changed conferences. We knew moving to the WAC meant harder competition. It was going to always be harder to win tournaments or the conference. But it makes our wins mean more! The Ladyjacks earned it, and got the privilege of being the first Lumberjack squad to prove leaving the conference we were just on another level from was 100% worth it!

Credit to Ryan Ivey to improving SFA Athletics miles in just a few years when we were truly stagnant for over 20 years prior! He is the man who will bring SFA athletics to being nationally recognized not as a top basketball team. Not as a top FCS team. As a top mid major athletic program!

100%. Next step. UT System money to improve Shelton Gym.
jboy93
Just curious. If we would have won the tournament, would we have gotten just a little better matchup in the first round?
nacluth
A good question. I think the real answer is maybe. We might have been included in the top 32 seeds but we almost assuredly would have drawn a good program from a top conference. However a top 40 team from a strong conference is a slightly better draw than a top 10 team, but we are always going to be overmatched at this level.

Not to say we can't win, just saying we have to play great and find the holes in the armor. Of course those with much better volleyball knowledge can say more.
SFAXE93
SFA88
nacluth said:

A good question. I think the real answer is maybe. We might have been included in the top 32 seeds but we almost assuredly would have drawn a good program from a top conference. However a top 40 team from a strong conference is a slightly better draw than a top 10 team, but we are always going to be overmatched at this level.

Not to say we can't win, just saying we have to play great and find the holes in the armor. Of course those with much better volleyball knowledge can say more.
GCU ended up with #10 Washington State. SFA likely would have gotten a better match up but, I agree, not by much.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
The ESPN+ feed hasn't started as scheduled.
SFA Jack Fanatic
It's finally on. The previous game ran long.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Bradley is hurt.
nacluth
Yikes, that is a rough start trying to just control a serve right now. Got to calm down or this will be quick.
nacluth
Can't get the ball off their serve. 11th serve in a row coming up. I bet that hasn't happened to the Ladyjacks in a long long time.
TallTexan
I don't know if I've seen us play such a technically proficient team.

Those serves are just sinking as they cross the net too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.