2023 Volleyball

14,345 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFA88
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RPI currently 35. Have to be in top 40 to even have a shot at an at-large. I didn't think a loss at this point (even in the final) would keep us above 40, but who knows.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

RPI currently 35. Have to be in top 40 to even have a shot at an at-large. I didn't think a loss at this point (even in the final) would keep us above 40, but who knows.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks sweep Cal Baptist to complete a spotless WAC regular season. CBU was game, but SFA is just too good and too deep. Humphries is allowing several freshmen to get plenty of court time lately, and they performed very well today.

Now, on the the WAC tournament.
SFAJack_76
Freshman, Caroline Kahle played the entire match at Libero. She was recruited for that, but this is the first time she has played there all season.

27-3 (16-0).
Pilotgirl
Was that just to give Hoang a break? I hope she isn't injured...
BigJack85
Regular season sweep. What a joy. After the last couple days of SFA athletics, I needed this.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Was that just to give Hoang a break? I hope she isn't injured...

I don't know for sure, but I believe it's to get Hoang some rest, and experience for Caroline.
SFAXE93
South Alabama 21-7; 12-4
Arizona State 23-4; 11-4 (wins over #5 Oregon, #3 Stanford)
#18 Baylor 14-10; 8-6 (Wins over #19 Ohio State, #18 Rice)
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

South Alabama 21-7; 12-4
Arizona State 23-4; 11-4 (wins over #5 Oregon, #3 Stanford)
#18 Baylor 14-10; 8-6 (Wins over #19 Ohio State, #18 Rice)
RPI for the three losses:

USA-59
ASU-16
Baylor-25

SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
SFA CLEANED up with all the conference awards! 2 on 1st team, 1 on 2nd team, 2 on Freshmen team, POTY & Coach of the Year. Wow wow wow!!!!!
SFAXE93
djsfw57
Looking very shaky in the match vs. ACU. Pagan is having a terrible game. These ladies do not look sharp at all. Lots of unforced errors... Hope they pull it together.
SFA88
djsfw57 said:

Looking very shaky in the match vs. ACU. Pagan is having a terrible game. These ladies do not look sharp at all. Lots of unforced errors... Hope they pull it together.
They did.
nacluth
Win and advance.
djsfw57
SFA88 said:

djsfw57 said:

They did.
I watched it. It was hard at times. Glad they found a way to win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UVU's coach looks like a Mafia boss.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UVU's coach looks like a Mafia boss.
He definitely does.

SFA, Class of 1979
djsfw57
If you didn't see the volleyball match vs Utah Valley, you should check it out on the ESPN app. It's worth watching the last set. I've never seen such a convoluted mess in my life. More STUFF happening than I've ever seen in a game.

PS We won! On to the championship match.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
That game had me on the edge of my seat.
Pilotgirl
We gotta be ready for GCU. We played much better than last night. Gotta step it up some more. It's very difficult to beat a team 3 times!!
TallTexan
Why as the 1 seed are we playing the late match?
BigJack85
What a match. Wow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

We gotta be ready for GCU. We played much better than last night. Gotta step it up some more. It's very difficult to beat a team 3 times!!

This is exactly why I HATE postseason conference tournaments in one-bid conferences. We lose tonight and we probably don't get into the NCAA tournament, even after easily winning the regular season and 18 straight matches. This tournament makes no sense.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

This is exactly why I HATE postseason conference tournaments in one-bid conferences. We lose tonight and we probably don't get into the NCAA tournament, even after easily winning the regular season and 18 straight matches. This tournament makes no sense.
I would not right off a top 40 RPI team from getting an at large bid.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

I would not right off a top 40 RPI team from getting an at large bid.

We definitely have the resume for an at-large. If we don't get in, I would really love to have explanation from the committee as to why not. We beat good teams in non-conf & ran through our conference.
nacluth
Our issue is resume not ranking. If you look at the top 60 teams many of them have wins (several multiple wins) over top 50 teams. If you expand it to top 100, we're 3-3 in those games where most of the 20 teams after us have lots of top 100 wins. There are lots of good "at large" teams behind us. We cannot leave it up to a committee because schedule and history are not on our side.

nacluth
At least it's #1 vs #2 like a championship should be. Let's go Ladyjacks!
nacluth
Block has not been great this first set. GCU is getting hot. Debbie has been calling times and challenges as much as she can.

GCU dominated first set.
nacluth
Ladyjacks finally are eking out a lead in the second. Moving their attack angles has helped.
nacluth
Ladyjacks even the match with a solid second set. Not done yet.
SFA88
This third set is crazy tight.
TallTexan
I really really wish we were the most rested team as the 1 seed for sets this tight.
nacluth
GCU wins set 3 (2-1 GCU)

Ladyjacks were down 23-19 and successfully defended 4 match points from there. But they had two! service errors tied in extras. Those may cost the match.

Need two set wins in a row.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.