2022 Baseball

28,162 Views | 367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAXE93
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Jacks on a 6-game losing streak (4-10) (giving up a staggering 10 runs a game in that stretch) as they head into Abilene.
Ugh. Ugh. We just suck at Baseball. I love Cardenas but we need to get something going Is it just facilities?

Unfortunately I think following the conclusion of this season, a change will be made. Cardenas Is up there with Carthel in being the most spirited guys on campus and I hope he's offered a spot with the athletic department but I think coaching wise we need to make a Carthel/Keller style hire. Someone who can put SFA baseball on the map.
Agreed all around.

I said the same thing last year. We all love Cardenas as a person, and what he's done for us. But he's in his 14th season now and 11 of those seasons had fewer than 30 wins.

I fully agree with everyone in that we don't have the facilities to really compete at the level that we want. BUT, again, nothing is changing so at some point you have to at least change it up to see if someone else might be able to be more successful in the same setting. If they aren't, then we're still in the same place at worse.

Otherwise, why even have the program?

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

This is just me, and I love Cardenas, but I'd trade baseball for men's soccer in a heartbeat.

I definitely think if we hadn't restarted baseball in the 2000s that it probably wouldn't be on the top of the list if we were picking today.
TallTexan
That said, I think there's definitely an advantage to more sports vs fewer and as long as we don't have to build a 10 million dollar new facility anytime soon, baseball is probably a tuition profitable sport.
SFASawmillGuy
Agreed. I don't think we should do away with any sport, but adding Soccer would be a cheap sport and give us more of footprint in college sports.
We just need to press on and try and make baseball better, if that means trying a new coach, thats probably what's going to have to happen.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

Agreed. I don't think we should do away with any sport, but adding Soccer would be a cheap sport and give us more of footprint in college sports.
We just need to press on and try and make baseball better, if that means trying a new coach, thats probably what's going to have to happen.

I hope we definitely look for areas where Cardenas can stay around. Has to be something.

Also, I do think we can win more than we do currently. There's still a typical ceiling I think with our level of facilities, but that's fine with me so long as we're regularly near that ceiling.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

I hope we definitely look for areas where Cardenas can stay around. Has to be something.

Also, I do think we can win more than we do currently. There's still a typical ceiling I think with our level of facilities, but that's fine with me so long as we're regularly near that ceiling.

Maybe creating a director of baseball operations spot would be perfect for him and give a role specifically for improving baseball.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

This is just me, and I love Cardenas, but I'd trade baseball for men's soccer in a heartbeat.

I definitely think if we hadn't restarted baseball in the 2000s that it probably wouldn't be on the top of the list if we were picking today.

I was on this train about 15 years I had tomatoes thrown at me. I've wondered the same thing. We could have a well funded soccer and mens tennis program

From a scholarship perspective, it couldn't be much different. From a support staff perspective I'm sure the expenses are less.
PurpleOut
Staff
11-1 loss to ACU tonight.

Going to be a long season if we're giving up double digit runs when we're supposed to be starting our #1 pitcher.
SFAXE93
8-12 loss to ACU in game 2

Jacks were in this one tying it up at 8 in the top of the 6th.

the streak is now 8 straight falling to 4-12

Will see if the Jacks can salvage one tomorrow at 1:05 PM
djsfw57
I honestly don't know why we have a baseball program. The money could be better spent on a sport we could actually win at.
SFASawmillGuy
djsfw57 said:

I honestly don't know why we have a baseball program. The money could be better spent on a sport we could actually win at.

It's one of the big 3 sports. If you want to seriously be considered for a bigger conference baseball is very valuable, regardless of how good you are.

I think if we get the right hire, we can put together a very good program. Recruiting depth is our biggest issue, and until that's addressed we will continue to struggle I fear.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

50 guys on the roster. 11.7 scholarships. The equivalent of 38.3 are paying full tuition.

SFAJack_76
We have the worst facilities of the 12 WAC teams. Not even close. Who would take the HC job?
sirwin0317
That is a ridiculous comment. Just imagine how exciting the games would be if they actually got more support locally and from the students. Don't forget how hard all 50 of those athletes work as well as the coaches, trainers, advisors, etc.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

We have the worst facilities of the 12 WAC teams. Not even close. Who would take the HC job?

A coach looking for a D1 opportunity. A coach who sees that Nacogdoches, lodged smack dab between Houston and the DFW area gives you a great spot for recruiting in both markets, as well as an athlete rich east Texas.

It's an attractive job in spite of the poor facilities, but I do agree baseball facilities should be near the top of the list of expenses. Maybe if we find a Carthel of Baseball we can turn the team right around and all those wealthy donors will be a little more generous.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

A coach looking for a D1 opportunity. A coach who sees that Nacogdoches, lodged smack dab between Houston and the DFW area gives you a great spot for recruiting in both markets, as well as an athlete rich east Texas.

It's an attractive job in spite of the poor facilities, but I do agree baseball facilities should be near the top of the list of expenses. Maybe if we find a Carthel of Baseball we can turn the team right around and all those wealthy donors will be a little more generous.

I believe football fieldhouse upgrade is 1st in line.

Perhaps, Hunter Dozier has a huge year and signs a gigantic contract. $6-$8 million would make a strong anchor donation for a game changing baseball facility.
SFAJack_76
I am confident there will be no large donations until there is a viable plan. Same for softball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Perhaps, Hunter Dozier has a huge year and signs a gigantic contract. $6-$8 million would make a strong anchor donation for a game changing baseball facility.
Proud of what Dozier has accomplished in sticking with a MLB team, but honestly he is simply not a very good hitter at the MLB level. Barely hit .200 last year.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

50 guys on the roster. 11.7 scholarships. The equivalent of 38.3 are paying full tuition.

Ya that's one of those tuition profitable programs I'd imagine.
SFASawmillGuy
An exposure program on top of that. College baseball is the least covered of the big 3 sports but still gets more coverage than a lot of other sports. Our win against TCU on national tv was huge for us, and when we play the UTs and A&Ms of the world we get a chance for more exposure.

Same principle as the money games for football, any exposure so good exposure, even if we get beat like a drum.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Proud of what Dozier has accomplished in sticking with a MLB team, but honestly he is simply not a very good hitter at the MLB level. Barely hit .200 last year.

True. Just dreaming. Dreaming.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I am confident there will be no large donations until there is a viable plan. Same for softball.

Makes sense. Concentrate on basketball football volleyball tennis. Focus on the places you already have solid footing.

I know some baseball alumni in Austin and Houston have talked. Don't know if real $$$'s have even been discussed. What do you think a baseball field/complex would take to build? $20 million?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

He's doing okay.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/hunter-dozier-21040/
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

He's doing okay.

Not bad. Needs a couple of solid years (.300) to get into "that" category.
djsfw57
sirwin0317 said:

That is a ridiculous comment. Just imagine how exciting the games would be if they actually got more support locally and from the students. Don't forget how hard all 50 of those athletes work as well as the coaches, trainers, advisors, etc.
Not ridiculous. And I never said anything about the athletes, trainers, advisors, etc. not working. That was NOT a commentary on people, just the program. We have made zero strides for as long as I can remember. You don't have to agree with me. But there is nothing ridiculous about wondering why money is being spent on a program that is not successful. Either drop the program or fix the problem. That's perfectly rational.
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

sirwin0317 said:

Not ridiculous. And I never said anything about the athletes, trainers, advisors, etc. not working. That was NOT a commentary on people, just the program. We have made zero strides for as long as I can remember. You don't have to agree with me. But there is nothing ridiculous about wondering why money is being spent on a program that is not successful. Either drop the program or fix the problem. That's perfectly rational.

At SFA (and 90% of mid majors) this is a simple case of asset allocation. I believe baseball is a Loddie Naymola away from being consistently solid. Loddie Naymola's don't come along that often, sadly.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

He's doing okay.

Shows just how STUPID MLB salaries are. That salary for a .200 hitter? Ridiculous!
sirwin0317
SFAXE93
ACU with the sweep 11-6.
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Lost 13-6 last night.

We are 4-14 now, having giving up double digit runs in 5 straight games. With an average of almost 9 runs given up per game over the season.

Last in the WAC, with Sam Houston and Texas Tech coming up.

Yikes.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

Lost 13-6 last night.

We are 4-14 now, having giving up double digit runs in 5 straight games. With an average of almost 9 runs given up per game over the season.

Yikes.

I'm just going to look at our history and say we somehow beat Texas Tech.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Lost 13-6 last night.

Yikes.

Ya. Disappointing to say the least. I know we have some shortcomings, but geez. Really?
SFASawmillGuy
Feels like a give up year for baseball unfortunately. Next season will likely have new hope and a new vision.
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.