2020-2021 Cross Country/T&F

19,465 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Asani did not clear a height in the pole vault.

That sucks.
TallTexan
It was apparently not our day for pole vaulting. Bizzell scratched 3 times at the starting height, something she's cleared multiple times before.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

It was apparently not our day for pole vaulting. Bizzell scratched 3 times at the starting height, something she's cleared multiple times before.

Still an amazing National Championship meet for SFA! Let's shock the world again tomorrow night!
SFAJack_76
Second!!!
wahlwesle
SFAJack_76 said:

Second!!!
Heck of a finish.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
Four more All Americans, and all will be back next year. Look out, WAC!
Pilotgirl
Wow...what a night!
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Four more All Americans, and all will be back next year. Look out, WAC!

And they have a new track to practice on!!
SFAJack_76
Freshman, Auhmad Robinson. Let this soak in.
SFAXE93

djsfw57
I had to be at work at 4 am, so I didn't get to watch the 4X400 until this morning when I got home. I managed to not read or hear anything about it in advance, so I was pretty curious to see how SFA would do. I wish I had a video of me watching the race. I was clapping and screaming like I was sitting in the stands. LOL

I LOVED THIS!!!!!!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA finished tied with Alabama at 13th in the team standings with 18 points (10 in the pole vault and 8 in the 4X400), ahead of some of the much-ballyhooed T&F schools, including UH and Arkansas.

Congrats to champion LSU and to NC A&T, which finished 3rd in the team standings. Those guys can fly in the sprints!

And I've got to mention lowly Prison Tech, which finished 42nd. Yes, 42nd. (They did have a very good pole vaulter though.) And did I mention that Prison Tech finished 42nd?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA finished tied with Alabama at 13th in the team standings with 18 points (10 in the pole vault and 8 in the 4X400), ahead of some of the much-ballyhooed T&F schools, including UH and Arkansas.

Congrats to champion LSU and to NC A&T, which finished 3rd in the team standings. Those guys can fly in the sprints!

And I've got to mention lowly Prison Tech, which finished 42nd. Yes, 42nd. (They did have a very good pole vaulter though.) And did I mention that Prison Tech finished 42nd?

42nd?

Is it even worth showing up if you get 42nd and no championships?
TallTexan
He makes a good point.

New track will help, but getting locker rooms for track and soccer will be a good step forward.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

He makes a good point.

New track will help, but getting locker rooms for track and soccer will be a good step forward.
Soccer has a decent locker room. Problem is that it is at the football field house. Can't build a locker room in the soccer field flood plain. Baseball and softball have trailers for locker rooms. Volleyball got their locker room enlarged a couple of years ago when beach was added. And, it now has toilets! Golf and bowling don't have anything.

There were some modest improvements made to the T&F/visiting football locker room a few months ago. A bit like lipstick on a pig, but it is better.

The list is long.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

He makes a good point.

Soccer has a decent locker room. Problem is that it is at the football field house. Can't build a locker room in the soccer field flood plain. Baseball and softball have trailers for locker rooms. Volleyball got their locker room enlarged a couple of years ago when beach was added. And, it now has toilets! Golf and bowling don't have anything.

There were some modest improvements made to the T&F/visiting football locker room a few months ago. A bit like lipstick on a pig, but it is better.

The list is long.
Dang, the football fieldhouse is a good ways from the soccer field.

I know we can't build much in the flood plain, but I do wonder if there's any room adjacent to the art building that's atleast walking distance. Then that'd open up another locker room at the track/football field.
SFAXE93
I'm sure all of this is on Ivey's honey do list
SFAXE93
Clear that strip of land on Wilson Dr. by the Rec Center

And build an over pass

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I'm sure all of this is on Ivey's honey do list
I think we'll probably see more announcements once the current giant project is finished.

Maybe even a 10 year plan.
BigJack85
I don't know if the university owns the land north of the commuter parking lot?? If they do, that would seem to be the ideal place to build a small T&F complex. 1) A few offices. 2) Locker Room 3) Equipment Storage 4) A track and some field training area. Seems like the price tag wouldn't be outrageous IF the university owns the land. Heck, getting utilities to the site would be a big part of the expense.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I don't know if the university owns the land north of the commuter parking lot?? If they do, that would seem to be the ideal place to build a small T&F complex. 1) A few offices. 2) Locker Room 3) Equipment Storage 4) A track and some field training area. Seems like the price tag wouldn't be outrageous IF the university owns the land. Heck, getting utilities to the site would be a big part of the expense.
I don't think they owned it last I saw, but it was recently for sale too.

Is that not flood plain? It wasn't terribly expensive iirc.
TallTexan
If in the next decade, when the new track coating is starting to wear out, is a track/soccer complex feasible?

Like I don't even know if you can fit a soccer field in a track complex.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

If in the next decade, when the new track coating is starting to wear out, is a track/soccer complex feasible?

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/25/facilities_0725133514.aspx
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/25/facilities_0725133514.aspx
I feel like I should have known about this one!

Thanks.

That's my general guess is that the 20 year plan for SFA facilities looks like. no order.

• Football: Sides brought in, new field house.
  • Athletic Complex: Soccer, Track, Baseball Softball, with a field house of locker rooms.
  • Practice Complex for all sports.
SFA Jack Fanatic
There is an interesting quote in today's Houston Chronicle from the HS athlete who was named the All Greater Houston Track & Field Boys Athlete of the Year. His name is Connor Washington from College Park HS. I thought of this little discussion about needed T&F facilities at SFA when I read it...

Asked about his decision to choose Arkansas... "They offered me a full ride scholarship. And their facility is the best I've seen. With the money they put into the track team, if I don't succeed, it will be my fault."

There's a powerful message in that last sentence.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

There is an interesting quote in today's Houston Chronicle from the HS athlete who was named the All Greater Houston Track & Field Boys Athlete of the Year. His name is Connor Washington from College Park HS. I thought of this little discussion about needed T&F facilities at SFA when I read it...

Asked about his decision to choose Arkansas... "They offered me a full ride scholarship. And their facility is the best I've seen. With the money they put into the track team, if I don't succeed, it will be my fault."

I suspect it's not your point, but at a T&F/XC scholarship limit of 12.6, almost nobody gets a full ride. SFA can't afford that. We have about 50 men on the roster. One full ride would take some level of assistance away from a number of student athletes. Many of those that don't get some level of scholarship will likely look for another school. We need to increase enrollment. (Women have a limit of 18.)
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I suspect it's not your point, but at a T&F/XC scholarship limit of 12.6, almost nobody gets a full ride. SFA can't afford that. We have about 50 men on the roster. One full ride would take some level of assistance away from a number of student athletes. Many of those that don't get some level of scholarship will likely look for another school. We need to increase enrollment. (Women have a limit of 18.)
True, that was not my point, but you provided good information.

Are partial athletic scholarships usually or sometimes supplemented with, say, academic scholarships, grants, or other sources of funds here at SFA (and not just for T&F)? And why are T&F women's allowed more? Is that an NCAA thing?
BigJack85
Good information. I think the general public thinks that "everyone" at a D1 institution get full rides. Not true. Almost exclusively football , basketball and maybe some for volleyball.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

True, that was not my point, but you provided good information.

Are partial athletic scholarships usually or sometimes supplemented with, say, academic scholarships, grants, or other sources of funds here at SFA (and not just for T&F)? And why are T&F women's allowed more? Is that an NCAA thing?

More women's scholarships make it easier to balance Title IX requirements. With football offering so many scholarships it's tough to even it out.
SFAJack_76
NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA set scholarship limits for their member institutions.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Good information. I think the general public thinks that "everyone" at a D1 institution get full rides. Not true. Almost exclusively football , basketball and maybe some for volleyball.
The only "head count" sports for SFA are MBB, WBB, tennis, and volleyball. FCS football allows up to 63 scholarships spread over up to 85 student athletes.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

The only "head count" sports for SFA are MBB, WBB, tennis, and volleyball. FCS football allows up to 63 scholarships spread over up to 85 student athletes.

Ok. I wasn't perfect but close. I'm not an expert!
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Ok. I wasn't perfect but close. I'm not an expert!
Nor am I!

Your point about most people not understanding how many student athletes are on partial, or no, scholarship is spot on.
SFAXE93

#42 SHSU
Track and Field is now irrelevant to Sammy, and will now use the word tiddlywinks, in reference therefore of.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.