Ladyjack Bowling

63,401 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was fun to watch...very happy for her and the whole Bowling team and coaches.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

I wish I woulda known to record it! We were at a concert so couldn't catch it
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I was out of town and didn't know it was airing. Does anyone know if there will be a replay? I looked on CBS Sports, but I couldn't find anything.
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PS How was the concert??? I thought about you both.
SFAJack_76
Team championship:

"Both title matches will be taped Saturday and air on Tuesdays in May on CBS Sports Network. The men's ITC show will air May 10 at 8 p.m. Eastern, while the women's ITC final will air May 17 at 6:30 p.m. Eastern."
Pilotgirl
We had fun and it was great to see a friend of mine that I haven't seen in YEARS; however, JBJ's vocals are just NOT what they used to be. At first, I thought it was the audio system at the venue. But, I've seen Pink, Lady Gaga, The Who there to name a few & they have all sounded amazing there. I messaged my friends who had been to the Austin show & they concurred with me....that his vocals are just gone. They added another bass to the band (band sounded GREAT btw) but I noticed all the songs, especially the older ones, were played at least a note lower. While I love them, I won't spend concert ticket money to see them again. JBJ is a great entertainer but, whew, I'll listen to the songs on spotify LOL
BigJack85
I never thought I would find bowling so interesting. The analysis folks are very good at explaining the vagaries of the sport Chloe Skurzynski is very quirky and intriguing.
BigJack85
I would really like SFA to consider altering the athletics lineup. Some of this will be looked at very negatively, but I believe economics is really starting to catch up with college athletics. One solution is to engage in fewer premier sports (the big expensive ones). For example. Consider dropping baseball and replace with mens tennis or mens soccer. Either of these sports could be above "marginally competitive" with the $$$ expended on baseball being reallocated to say tennis. Besides, we have (in large part) the facilities to support those sports on campus with only some minor capital investment.

Minor might be a stretch. But let's say hypothetically, that SFA could garner $2 million for capital improvements for soccer and tennis My guess, is that we'd have solid D1 facilities. Not the best. Not in the top 25% but ok. A far cry from how our baseball teams facilities match up. In the arms race that is college athletics, maybe it's time to move some focus to less expensive sports? ? ?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I would really like SFA to consider altering the athletics lineup. Some of this will be looked at very negatively, but I believe economics is really starting to catch up with college athletics. One solution is to engage in fewer premier sports (the big expensive ones). For example. Consider dropping baseball and replace with mens tennis or mens soccer. Either of these sports could be above "marginally competitive" with the $$$ expended on baseball being reallocated to say tennis. Besides, we have (in large part) the facilities to support those sports on campus with only some minor capital investment.

Minor might be a stretch. But let's say hypothetically, that SFA could garner $2 million for capital improvements for soccer and tennis My guess, is that we'd have solid D1 facilities. Not the best. Not in the top 25% but ok. A far cry from how our baseball teams facilities match up. In the arms race that is college athletics, maybe it's time to move some focus to less expensive sports? ? ?

Have thought the same. Should drop it into a standalone thread.

Fwiw, I wonder what it would cost to add some lanes to the HPE. Seems like great for students and the team.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Have thought the same. Should drop it into a standalone thread.

Fwiw, I wonder what it would cost to add some lanes to the HPE. Seems like great for students and the team.

I don't have the skills. Maybe someone with the skills can drop this into a separate string.
djsfw57
I'm stumped by the fact that sfajacks.com website completely ignored the fact that SFA women just won a national championship in bowling as well as the individual women's title. What's up with that?
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

I'm stumped by the fact that sfajacks.com website completely ignored the fact that SFA women just won a national championship in bowling as well as the individual women's title. What's up with that?
Our social media, including the website, is a complete mess. Schedules not updated, results not posted, wrong information posted, etc. Dennis Driscoll, the Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications, has assured me he is going to fix it. I don't doubt it takes time, but I wish he would go faster. It's annoying, and an embarrassment, when I have to go to opponents sites for schedules and results. Dennis knows that.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Our social media, including the website, is a complete mess. Schedules not updated, results not posted, wrong information posted, etc. Dennis Driscoll, the Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications, has assured me he is going to fix it. I don't doubt it takes time, but I wish he would go faster. It's annoying, and an embarrassment, when I have to go to opponents sites for schedules and results. Dennis knows that.

100% agree its an embarrassment. And something that is an easy fix, I might add because it doesn't take money...just time.
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

100% agree its an embarrassment. And something that is an easy fix, I might add because it doesn't take money...just time.
I texted Dennis Driscoll a couple of days ago and asked him about it. Zero response. Apparently it's not that important to him.
SFA, Class of 1979
Pilotgirl
Uggggh
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

I texted Dennis Driscoll a couple of days ago and asked him about it. Zero response. Apparently it's not that important to him.
His wife is in the hospital. Hopefully she will be released tomorrow.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Hope she is well.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

While I certainly wish her well and a speedy recovery, maintaining the Athletics website could be temporarily accomplished by throwing a few dollars at a freshman English major. This situation is silly and embarrassing for a D-1 university whose AD claims he wants the school to be the best Mid Major program in the country. One of the lead stories is about a softball game two weeks ago..
SFAXE93
nacluth
Not bad going from 8th to 2nd in last poll.
SFAXE93
Making the finals and winning the other National Championship can do that for you
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Bowling is having a fundraising campaign to raise $11,500 to purchase equipment to improve practices (cameras, TV's, GoPros, etc.).

My only comment is why in Hell are they having to beg for funds to purchase this stuff?!?! In an athletic program that moves around tens of thousands of dollars, it can't give the program that has gifted us with our only two national championships a mere $11,500????? This really hacks me off!!!!
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Bowling is having a fundraising campaign to raise $11,500 to purchase equipment to improve practices (cameras, TV's, GoPros, etc.).

My only comment is why in Hell are they having to beg for funds to purchase this stuff?!?! In an athletic program that moves around tens of thousands of dollars, it can't give the program that has gifted us with our only two national championships a mere $11,500????? This really hacks me off!!!!

Money is tight. I don't believe that the funds you speak of, exist.

This DOES NOT hack me off. I don't think you realize the financial constraints we are under. All but the biggest athletics departments have these challenges.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

This DOES NOT hack me off. I don't think you realize the financial constraints we are under. All but the biggest athletics departments have these challenges.
You're kidding, right? $11,500? The price of a used 2012 Ford pickup truck with no A/C and 250,000 miles? We're not talking about $110,500. SFA probably spends $11,500 a year for floor polish for WRJ and the Naymola practice court.

If SFA is so destitute that it can't afford to buy $11,500 of equipment for a two-time national championship program then SFA should just drop Bowling and move to D-III in all remaining athletic sports. It's ridiculous!
PurpleOut
Staff
Not that I don't disagree with you, but things like budgets exist and are put in place ahead of time for a reason. If 100% of the budget for a sport has already been allocated, then where should the funds come from? Baseball and other sports have done the same thing for smaller amounts. I think that's just the life of a small athletic department unfortunately.

I actually like fundraisers like this, as they also work as marketing tools. If they get the money and gain more exposure from it, it's a win-win.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I think Fanatic has every reason to be hacked off, these girls do so much with so little and have produced 2 Nattys.......Big is correct about budgets and tight finances and Purple may be correct about marketing and publicity from a fundraising drive......But let's be completely honest here....If football or basketball had a sudden need for a quick 12k cash for something program involved it would be found and given to them immediately.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

You're kidding, right? $11,500? The price of a used 2012 Ford pickup truck with no A/C and 250,000 miles? We're not talking about $110,500. SFA probably spends $11,500 a year for floor polish for WRJ and the Naymola practice court.

If SFA is so destitute that it can't afford to buy $11,500 of equipment for a two-time national championship program then SFA should just drop Bowling and move to D-III in all remaining athletic sports. It's ridiculous!

I'm not kidding.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

It would be a bigger surprise if we had a "athletics fee". I don't have an insight to the details but I can read a balance sheet and income statement.

The outrage about this fundraiser, is what is ridiculous.
SFAJack_76
I am in agreement with 85 on this. All of our athletic teams have fundraisers. Some are more public than others. Some of our coaches salaries are partially supported by donations. Those aren't public. I have been a proponent of our coaches doing more to fund raise by being clear about what they want to provide for their student-athletes. This is not begging. It's current reality. The athletic department budget has been squeezed tight. They don't have $10,000 worth of discretionary funds.

What people can't dismiss is the faculty opposition to athletics that still exists. If you think the barbers chair raised a stink, imagine what $10,000 for GoPros, etc would do. The current Faculty Senate Chair has publicly stated that he is going after athletics. He doesn't need more ammunition.

We have donated to bowling before, and we will again. I like knowing how the donation can help. Amber, Steve, and their student-athletes have done an outstanding job. We choose to support that.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I am in agreement with 85 on this. All of our athletic teams have fundraisers. Some are more public than others. Some of our coaches salaries are partially supported by donations. Those aren't public. I have been a proponent of our coaches doing more to fund raise by being clear about what they want to provide for their student-athletes. This is not begging. It's current reality. The athletic department budget has been squeezed tight. They don't have $10,000 worth of discretionary funds.

What people can't dismiss is the faculty opposition to athletics that still exists. If you think the barbers chair raised a stink, imagine what $10,000 for GoPros, etc would do. The current Faculty Senate Chair has publicly stated that he is going after athletics. He doesn't need more ammunition.

We have donated to bowling before, and we will again. I like knowing how the donation can help. Amber, Steve, and their student-athletes have done an outstanding job. We choose to support that.

Faculty Senate Chair needs to find a new university. Maybe Tarleton. See what he thinks then.

I hope this leaks out to the faculty senate. They talk about transparency…. Ever take a look at the "minutes" for their own meetings? Looks like someone got a napkin out and jotted a couple of notes. Maybe. My only ask is that if you criticize, make your expressions of displeasure, honest complete and recorded with the faculty member(s) attached to the statement(s). If you are going to criticize the BOR on the subject of transparency, you might look inward.
SFAJack_76
Speaking of the success of our bowling program:
SFA Jack Fanatic
OK, before retirement I worked at a S&P 100 sized company (foreign owned, so not a part of the S&P) and managed a million dollar annual employee training department budget. If one cost center of the department was going into the red and still had a need for funds, we just adjusted the budget to move funds from another cost center that was in good shape.

You guys are talking as if parts of the Athletic Department's budget are set in stone throughout a budget year. Hopefully the bottom line of Athletics' overall budget is, but surely its moving parts are not. You can never convince me that Ivey could not move a mere $11,500 from one cost center to another. Even a family budget sometimes has to be manipulated when necessary. If there is a legitimate need, you do something about it.

Not wanting to further beat a dead horse, going silent about this now. But I am heading over to Bowling's fundraiser to contribute a few sheckles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.