SFA / ACU

32,979 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aquavelvis
Gazette1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unfortunately our university showed favoritism to conservative politicians by letting the sit in the court side VIP seats.
MasterAxe
Gazette1 said:

Unfortunately our university showed favoritism to conservative politicians by letting the sit in the court side VIP seats.
Wait, what?

I was down there a couple of weeks ago when we played NWSt...why? Cause I bought the seat.

What does the political affiliation have to do with anyone sitting anywhere? I feel like this is a troll post 100%
nacluth
Almost all the seats on the southern end have been paid for, and their owners can bring whomever they wish. Just because our current state representative was sitting down there does not mean there's a bias against certain political parties.

Now they used to bring down one row as a VIP upgrade to get the Courtside seats, and my row has never been picked. I'm starting to take it personally.
MasterAxe
A Democrats check cashes just the same as a Republican check.

Those seats are all available.
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Don't be shocked if Fisher transfers. I'm not saying it'll happen but if I had to put money on any member of the program (beside seniors) not being here in a year, he'd be at the top of the list.
That'd be disappointing with his height. I think he could develop into a talented contributor.
cboothe09
INiedrauer said:

Don't be shocked if Fisher transfers. I'm not saying it'll happen but if I had to put money on any member of the program (beside seniors) not being here in a year, he'd be at the top of the list.
With Seraille coming in, and the three JUCO's we are after (McCray (PF), Ibarguen (PF), and Maricevic (C)), it looks like PT could be hard for him to come by...There is no doubting the talent though, and I think he has the ability to play a big role in the rotation...
INiedrauer
Staff
I was amused at Mr. Clardy's presence for other reasons. He's an ACU graduate and was at an ACU game wearing an SFA hat.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

I was amused at Mr. Clardy's presence for other reasons. He's an ACU graduate and was at an ACU game wearing an SFA hat.
Gotta get those votes! And everyone likes to support winners.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

INiedrauer said:

(McCray (PF), Ibarguen (PF), and Maricevic (C))
Are these guys on our recruiting page? would love to know more about them if we're looking at them.
SFASawmillGuy
Maricevic I can only assume is a giant eastern European guy who is likely only being recruited due to his intimidating size. Just a guess.

Update: I was correct
cboothe09
TallTexan said:

cboothe09 said:

INiedrauer said:

(McCray (PF), Ibarguen (PF), and Maricevic (C))
Are these guys on our recruiting page? would love to know more about them if we're looking at them.
They are up on Verbal Commits, and I want to say McCray and Ibarguen are on our page for sure. I think Maricevic is too.

Amari McCray - 6-9, 290 lbs, SO, Ruston HS, Howard College: Has offers from Hofstra, Louisiana Tech, Southern, New Mexico State, SFA, Utah Valley, and Virginia Tech

Andres Ibarguen - 6-7, 245 lbs, SO, Sunrise Christian Academy, Trinity Valley CC: Has offers from UTEP, Grand Canyon, New Mexico, Florida International, UTRGV, Southeastern Louisiana, Pacific, Sam Houston, Troy, SFA

Anton Maricevic - 6-10, 234 lbs, SO, Longmont Christian School, Zagreb, Croatia, Casper College: Has offers from Tulsa, South Florida, Nebraska, Loyola Marymount, SFA, Albany, Hofstra, Utah State, BYU, Idaho State, Wichita State
nacluth
INiedrauer said:

At least he wasn't in a drunken twitter battle during the fry shuffle.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Maricevic I can only assume is a giant eastern European guy who is likely only being recruited due to his intimidating size. Just a guess.

Update: I was correct
Wasn't his much older uncle Pete a record-setting scorer at LSU? No? Oh. Never mind...
MasterAxe
I think that we have found, at least in the last few years, that size is overrated in the Southland.

I think Isaac even made a similar point on a previous thread somewhere.

Players above 6'8 in this conference just seemingly are useless. Unless its Chris Daniels from CC about a decade ago or Holyfield from Sam...and he was so useless against us when we had Walkup and Parker play center.

Seriously, in the 17 years I have been following SFA basketball, I cant think of one player, 6'8 to 7'0 that may any type of substantial impact for us.

Our best "centers," JeReal Scott, Taylor Moore, Percy Green etc...were all undersized. Tanner Clayton might have been 6'8.
SFASawmillGuy
I think size is overrated in the SLC because if a big has talent, they don't go to the SLC. They get heavily recruited. The "big" players we get to choose from are the leftovers or under 6'8. I honestly consider TJ our current big, simply because of his impact. Although he does have a wingspan that makes him be able to play like a 7 footer.

If we could get a real big with real talent though, I think we would finally have a complete team.
PurpleForever
INiedrauer said:

This has been my sentiment all year also. Just from what I've seen from him off the court. I know him and Cam were pretty close at SFA so i believe that had an effect on him.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

I think that we have found, at least in the last few years, that size is overrated in the Southland.

Players above 6'8 in this conference just seemingly are useless. Unless its Chris Daniels from CC about a decade ago or Holyfield from Sam...and he was so useless against us when we had Walkup and Parker play center.

Seriously, in the 17 years I have been following SFA basketball, I cant think of one player, 6'8 to 7'0 that may any type of substantial impact for us.

Our best "centers," JeReal Scott, Taylor Moore, Percy Green etc...were all undersized. Tanner Clayton might have been 6'8.

The kid from Cypress Creek (Matt Kingsley?) on our 09' team won the MVP in the tournament. He wasn't great but he developed. He was a legit 6'9". I'm 6'1" and stood next to him after the game He was about as good of a big that we have had. TJ still has his best to come.......
TallTexan
It's not so much the Southland that I'm worried about. We've proven we can win that with a team 6'8 & under for the most part, on multiple occasions.

It's when we are playing with the big boys that we could really use a talented center. But those are hard to find.
INiedrauer
Staff
I still stand by my belief that if we had landed Dwight Coleby or TK Edogi this team would have a much higher ceiling. I don't think it's about height as much as width. We lack a big, thick, girthy body in the paint.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

The kid from Cypress Creek (Matt Kingsley?) on our 09' team won the MVP in the tournament. He wasn't great but he developed. He was a legit 6'9". I'm 6'1" and stood next to him after the game He was about as good of a big that we have had. TJ still has his best to come.......

I forgot Kingsley. He was good.

And TJ may want to hurry and get to his best, I think people forget he's a JR, next year is it.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

It's not so much the Southland that I'm worried about. We've proven we can win that with a team 6'8 & under for the most part, on multiple occasions.

It's when we are playing with the big boys that we could really use a talented center. But those are hard to find.
In SLC play you don't need size, that's absolutely right. But when we played Utah size was the only reason we lost. We were in it the entire game but couldn't match up with them in the paint. Generally the teams that go a long way have at least that one guy who's a physical freak who can impose his will on other teams.
SFASawmillGuy
Next year we'll be a scary team with all we're returning. TJ will be the spearhead of that team. We need him to get nasty again like he did before conference play. I'm talkin' dunks, stare downs, trash talk. We need that TJ back.
SFAJack_76
PurpleForever said:

INiedrauer said:

This has been my sentiment all year also. Just from what I've seen from him off the court. I know him and Cam were pretty close at SFA so i believe that had an effect on him.
Hope he stays, but only if he is excited about being here and willing to put in the work. What little I have seen of him, I believe with an off season with a dietician and in the weight room, he could be that 6'9", 245 pound big. He moves well, but too often looks confused on where to position.

I really would like to see two to three four year seniors every year. This is the second year in a row with only one. Two next year with T.J and Gru.
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

I still stand by my belief that if we had landed Dwight Coleby or TK Edogi this team would have a much higher ceiling. I don't think it's about height as much as width. We lack a big, thick, girthy body in the paint.

Completely agree. Hopefully we'll land a transfer who can fill that role for next year.
nacluth
Quote:

I really would like to see two to three four year seniors every year. This is the second year in a row with only one. Two next year with T.J and Gru.
This is true...and Shannon's senior year. Should be a peak year.
RedRiverLa
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Almost all the seats on the southern end have been paid for, and their owners can bring whomever they wish. Just because our current state representative was sitting down there does not mean there's a bias against certain political parties.

Now they used to bring down one row as a VIP upgrade to get the Courtside seats, and my row has never been picked. I'm starting to take it personally.

So it's me and my wife at a recent girls game - got there about 2:30, so it's us and maybe three other people. Dude that selects the VIP seat move down looked right at us and I swear I saw his eyes say, "Nah"! And then picked some student who never looked up from her phone the entire game.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
INiedrauer said:

I agree completely. I'm still disapponted we never got to see CJ continue to grow and play his senior year.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
aquavelvis said:

RedRiverLa said:

BTW, Underwood is one and done in the Big Ten tournament. His 13 seeded Illini lose to 12 seeded Iowa. Bet Illini fans are saying he's not a great coach, they're just not seeing it. Nice guy, but not impressed, doesn't know X and Os. Time to move on...
At Illinois, Coach Brad has no Walkup, no Haymon, no Parker, no Pinckney, and so on. Maybe another year of recruiting will result in some success for him. That particular group of players (all recruited by Danny Kaspar, right?) really stepped up, and they were or seemed fearless and confident...guessing some of that was in their DNA and the rest was coach-inspired.

And to Coach Keller, same problem...no Walkup, etc. And while...in some games on TV and at UIW here in San Antonio I've seen some real talent, and size is getting better...I don't see players with the fire we saw from Kaspar through Brad. Coaches can influence that, but I'll be happier when I see freshmen and Juco x-fers showing up with 1) some innate swagger, arrogance almost, to go along with talent, and 2) sense enough to listen to Coach so that he augments their swagger, instead of being solely responsible for instilling it. And arrogance is not a bad thing if it is directed at the other team, and not directed at being a BMOC.

Coach Keller has a good recruiting rep, so let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he can get some guys like that.
My post was sarcasm. I agree with you.
Lumberjack Battalion
aquavelvis
RedRiverLa said:

My post was sarcasm. I agree
Now that I read it that way, good sarcasm. Just missed it. Duh!
Scott Taylor

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.