Attendance/Opponents

30,896 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only changed I'd make to that type of layout would be to see if we could add some sort of shade awnings that look good.
BigJack85
INiedrauer said:

edstile said:

SfaTke596 said:

I would take the same approach with the students. Target the larger organizations and make them feel part of the team. As a forum we know so much about our players... when they are sick, they get in trouble, where they grew up.... we are vested in the program. The students need know these players so they can feel vested. I would have Keller go out to these organizations and present them with a uniform! The uniform would be SFA purple shirts. If we sell it the right way- this shirt would not be just any shirt but a uniform. "Every time you put on this shirt on game days you are no longer just another fan but you are a part of the team. And as a team member you are expected to be loud, sit together....."

Those are some great ideas, 596. I especially like your idea about strong relationships with the student organizations. I don't know if any of the ideas are already being done, though. I hope they are. If they're not, then perhaps Isaac can slip a note under Coach K's and the AD's office doors detailing your suggestions.
I'm not suggesting advice is always considered - let's be honest, half this board wanted a new basketball coach after losing to Lamar - but people who matter definitely read these forums. I know the feedback and ideas, good and bad, are valued by decision makers at SFA.

In defense of the "Fire Keller" mob that I have sometimes been a part of...... the Lamar games were complete pieces of ****. Look Keller is starting to prove a lot of us wrong. That's great. I was so bought in on Kaspar that I wasn't sure about Underwood. When I look back at that I was a complete fool. When you've been thru Lumberjack basketball in the 90's you know the feeling of absolute dispair. Now that we are good if not on the verge of being really good you don't want to lose that feeling..... get it?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
I think pushing current students to attend and be rowdy is like beating a dead horse. You might change the mind of a few, but overall, I do not see it bringing enough immediate change to push our attendance to the 5k that most of ya'll want to see. I also think, hitting the Nacogdoches community is tough too. I think there may be a better way.

Basically they need to canvas all of east Texas (Texarkana to Houston) and hit the high schools hard. Group ticket sales. Get these kids, multiple high schools a night. Create an atomosphere for them that would be fun. One that entices them to attend SFA and be a part of what could be start of something great.

Not only group tickets, but the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks host multiple neutral site games throughout the year. Put together a double-header of some high school teams on the Saturday of a home game. Admission gets you in to both the HS and SFA games. Kids get a chance to play on our court, then watch a good game and build a bigger crowd. Just the teams add 30-40 people in attendance, which isn't much but when you add the family members and fans, you have the potential for a big crowd. Imagine a doubleheader featuring Lufkin/John Tyler and Center/Silsbee. Games at 1 & 3 with the Jacks playing at 7. Maybe a couple of weeks later you have Huntsville play Nacogdoches on a Saturday.

The bigger point is that, it brings a young crowd to the games that can bring some energy. It fills more seats, and can do a lot to help grow the university itself.
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

I think pushing current students to attend and be rowdy is like beating a dead horse. You might change the mind of a few, but overall, I do not see it bringing enough immediate change to push our attendance to the 5k that most of ya'll want to see. I also think, hitting the Nacogdoches community is tough too. I think there may be a better way.

Basically they need to canvas all of east Texas (Texarkana to Houston) and hit the high schools hard. Group ticket sales. Get these kids, multiple high schools a night. Create an atomosphere for them that would be fun. One that entices them to attend SFA and be a part of what could be start of something great.

Not only group tickets, but the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks host multiple neutral site games throughout the year. Put together a double-header of some high school teams on the Saturday of a home game. Admission gets you in to both the HS and SFA games. Kids get a chance to play on our court, then watch a good game and build a bigger crowd. Just the teams add 30-40 people in attendance, which isn't much but when you add the family members and fans, you have the potential for a big crowd. Imagine a doubleheader featuring Lufkin/John Tyler and Center/Silsbee. Games at 1 & 3 with the Jacks playing at 7. Maybe a couple of weeks later you have Huntsville play Nacogdoches on a Saturday.

The bigger point is that, it brings a young crowd to the games that can bring some energy. It fills more seats, and can do a lot to help grow the university itself.
I get the point, and don't fully disagree, but that would basically create the same environment as Cram the Coliseum. Getting random people that never come to games in the door for one game because it's free. It might help those kids get introduced to the school overall, but they wouldn't care about coming back for another game.

We definitely should be doing that more in general for games over the Christmas break when students, professors, etc are out of town. Give tickets away to every Nac and Lufkin high student/teacher.
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

cboothe09 said:

I get the point, and don't fully disagree, but that would basically create the same environment as Cram the Coliseum. Getting random people that never come to games in the door for one game because it's free. It might help those kids get introduced to the school overall, but they wouldn't care about coming back for another game.

We definitely should be doing that more in general for games over the Christmas break when students, professors, etc are out of town. Give tickets away to every Nac and Lufkin high student/teacher.

I think it comes down to placement. Put a bunch of high schoolers behind the opponents basket, and they can get rowdy and make a fun environment. I wouldn't suggest seating the HS with SFA students, because that is a recipe for disaster, but having them within proximity of each other could get the two to feed off of each other.

Christmas would be a great time. It is still non-district for a lot of teams, or time when they play their final tournament/showcase style event. Maybe set up something like what TJC does with the Wagstaff Classic, but pull schools from all over, and you have something. Have the final day coincide with what would likely be the conference opener, and there is potential for a good crowd when students are still gone.

If it creates a dead crowd, then maybe scrap it, or rework it, but if HS's can create a buzz and make it a good atmosphere, it creates a genuine interest for the student to attend SFA because of that experience.
TallTexan
We should move Cram the coliseum to the 1st week when students are back. And maybe have a large tailgate to get some fans properly imbibed to get the atmosphere up a bit. I think Cram the coliseum to start the conference season makes sense because then you have the potential for those who enjoyed the product & the atmosphere to return for future games that season.

I'd do promotions like this:
Cram the Coliseum: 1st week of Spring Semester
Sam Game
Senior Sellout- The guys definitely deserve playing to a full rowdy crowd for the last time at WRJ.

And maybe you change the name of Cram the Coliseum to something like Rock WRJ so that it implies a rowdy atmosphere.

*I also like the idea of getting High Schoolers in during the break & with tournaments. I'd be open to letting any HSer who wore an SFA shirt or purple into any game for free so long as they sign a pledge to vote for an athletics fee should they choose to attend SFA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.