SFA / Mississippi St.

34,191 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
INiedrauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Really good stuff from their press conference. Ben Howland is a pretty big fan of (beating) SFA:
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
At some point you have to give the other team credit, Mississippi State came out ready to win in the second. They also hit some shots they won't hit again, they aren't a great shooting team. But they had the size and their guard play was fantastic the 2nd half. Keller and the staff deserve a lot of credit IMO tonight.

That's a game that hurts because we know we could have (maybe should have) won. But very encouraging at the minimum. Down 16 and fought back with plenty of chances to take them out. Shannon rushed that 3, I think he'd do that over if he could. But man he's legit. He can play in any league. He's gonna be a huge problem for this league.

Props to Canete as well. Him fouling out was a big time loss. I didn't have much of a problem with our fouls tonight. Although some of the calls were just wrong, not just missed.

Not worried about Kevon, this was arguably the biggest game that he's played in (meaningful minutes). And his early foul trouble took him out of it quick.

Moving on! Going to be a fun year. We all need to do our part to help promote/advertise to get more butts in seats when the holidays are over.
SFASawmillGuy
Honestly, I see us potentially going being able to only drop one or two games this entire season. Not that it's likely to happened, but I think this was our toughest regular season game we were gonna face all year, and I'd say we out played them 75% of that game. Just 25% was enough for them to beat us.
Now that being said, remember I said the word "potentially". We have the talent and capability. If we actually do it is another story.
INiedrauer
Staff
NDSU and LA Tech are both going to be really, really tough.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
INiedrauer said:

NDSU and LA Tech are both going to be really, really tough.

This. LaTech is 5-0 and dominated George Mason yesterday. NDSU is our best and toughest home game of the season. Like UAB last year. I hope/wish everyone would realize that, as far as a crowd showing up.
SFASawmillGuy
They will be, but I still think this was our toughest game. I think we lose to one of our next 2 SEC goes, and maybe LA tech, but I don't see us losing to NDSU(what is this, football?) and I don't see us losing in conference unless it's just a head scratcher.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

At some point you have to give the other team credit, Mississippi State came out ready to win in the second. They also hit some shots they won't hit again, they aren't a great shooting team. But they had the size and their guard play was fantastic the 2nd half. Keller and the staff deserve a lot of credit IMO tonight.

That's a game that hurts because we know we could have (maybe should have) won. But very encouraging at the minimum. Down 16 and fought back with plenty of chances to take them out. Shannon rushed that 3, I think he'd do that over if he could. But man he's legit. He can play in any league. He's gonna be a huge problem for this league.

Props to Canete as well. Him fouling out was a big time loss. I didn't have much of a problem with our fouls tonight. Although some of the calls were just wrong, not just missed.

Not worried about Kevon, this was arguably the biggest game that he's played in (meaningful minutes). And his early foul trouble took him out of it quick.

Moving on! Going to be a fun year. We all need to do our part to help promote/advertise to get more butts in seats when the holidays are over.

Well said.

But I disagree a bit with you, as we make some horrendously bad judgement plays when it comes to
Fouls.

Canete, for example, got his last foul reaching in 50 feet from the hoop.

That's so frustrating!
SFAJack_76
Did not get to see the game. Pleased with the results but not ready to declare this team as being great. Need a quality win.

I commented before that Canete played well against HPU. Obviously he did well in this game also. Not sure why some of you were trashing him.

Kevon looked out of sorts the second half against HPU. Appears that carried over to this game. He will be fine.

Nieminen has been a no show all season. Saw enough last year to think he would be a major contributor this years. Thoughts on why he is not so far?

Does a healthy Ty Charles with senior leadership make enough difference to win this game? Perhaps he makes a meaningful difference in the second half. I think yes.

SFAXE93
That game mirrored the UTA/Alabama game I watched a couple of days ago.

UTA on the road, came out took control of the game, played with confidence, lead at half, came out flat in the second half, Alabama came back took the lead, UTA fell behind double digits, fought back, but lost 76-75.
SFAXE93
http://www.secsports.com/video/21522293/mississippi-state-rallies-defeat-sfa
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

They will be, but I still think this was our toughest game. I think we lose to one of our next 2 SEC goes, and maybe LA tech, but I don't see us losing to NDSU(what is this, football?) and I don't see us losing in conference unless it's just a head scratcher.
LSU is a much more talented team than Miss St. I watched them get their butts handed to them by an excellent Notre Dame team that hit every ridiculous three they attempted. However, they have speed and size. They have a 6' 4" pg that drives the lane much better than any player we saw last night. They will be our toughest game, and I see that as a loss now, but we won't play scared.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Really good stuff from their press conference. Ben Howland is a pretty big fan of (beating) SFA:
"That's an NCAA Tournament team, in my opinion, for sure." High praise from a guy who has the experience and ability to recognize such...
No-look
Mizz and LSU will be hard to win on the road. Louisiana tech on the road will be tough but winnable. Odds are we won't waltz through the Southland without a loss or two on the road. Three regular season loses would be great but I'm thinking five is more like it. Not being negative just cautious. I'll take it if we run the table. Lol. Also if that MSU was at Nac we get the W. Right?
cboothe09
No-look said:

Mizz and LSU will be hard to win on the road. Louisiana tech on the road will be tough but winnable. Odds are we won't waltz through the Southland without a loss or two on the road. Three regular season loses would be great but I'm thinking five is more like it. Not being negative just cautious. I'll take it if we run the table. Lol. Also if that MSU was at Nac we get the W. Right?

Tracking scores and catching a couple of games, there is only one team in the SLC that makes me nervous. Lamar. They are every bit as good as advertised.
tangerito
Talk about some home cooking?
nacluth
What concerned me about the non-fouls was that it was all about the hands of the big guys. They were good at getting over the top of our guys without hitting their hands. At the same time, they were plowing through our guys bodies. A hip check by a 250 7'0" guy is a lot worse than a hand check.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
tangerito said:

Talk about some home cooking?

They got more home cooking yesterday than most people will have on their table today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.