SFA / Mississippi St.

34,613 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why are we playing like we need to drain 3s to win. If we took the 2s,we'd be looking to tie it up now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
That last Holman block was a FOUL!
nacluth
It's a game. For all the realists, go read what you said about what would be a move forward for the program. We have to have accomplished that. This team is turning into something.
TallTexan
edstile said:

That last Holman block was a FOUL!
I think the word you're looking for is tackle.
RedRiverLa
Agree. Nice comeback! That's coaching right there.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
Carter looked like he fell on his own.
nacluth
TJ is a beast. We will not go away.
MasterAxe
Actually, as I was told earlier, it can't be coaching.

I was told, emphatically, that the players make their own choices and coaching has nothing to do with it.
sfa17
we did a lot better than i thought we would. we could have easily won this one. we have clearly improved.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA became a TEAM tonight! Remember guys, we were playing an SEC team on THEIR court. A game of streaks and we had a couple of more bad streaks than good ones.

I haven't been this proud of a Jacks team in a couple of years!!!!!
nacluth
4 points in 10 minutes, 31 in the next 10. Rough patch, but I'm not scared of anyone going forward. We're not getting all wins, but we're playing ball.
BigJack85
Haven't been able to watch but pleasantly surprised!!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
fortWorthJack
Lolz emphatically? Dressed that up a bit?
INiedrauer
Staff
Room to grow. Feels like a missed opportunity tonight though.

Then again, I had them losing by 18 so...
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
Frustrating loss but I'll take it. We vastly outplayed them and the refs for 23 minutes, didnt show up for 15 and still had a chance to win it at the end.
SFASawmillGuy
Honestly we beat ourselves. The ceiling for this team is so damn high. This game really excited me.
MasterAxe
Had more than a few tell me that coaching had nothing to do with it. Players make their own choices is what I was told
sfa17
what do u think about the performance MasterAXE?
fortWorthJack
Very proud of the guys and the coaches. This was an overnight improvement against a long Sec team. We def can improve in just about every aspect but that's not a bad thing. I expect to see our TOs low and the ball movement I saw frequently in 1st half.
CLHawkins
If you watched this game and weren't happy with the coaching and the progress this team has shown since last season I'm not sure anything will please you.
jboy93
Lost by 5 shooting that badly...really excited for what this team AND coaching staff is going to do! Very proud to be a JACK!!!
PurpleForever
MasterAxe said:

Had more than a few tell me that coaching had nothing to do with it. Players make their own choices is what I was told

The coach can make all the adjustments and have great set plays but at the end of the game Keller took zero shots and had zero turnovers. Cold streaks aren't always because a coach didn't make an adjustment.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

I'm not disappointed with the coaching tonight. We had two things go against us. After the first half fouls being so one sided, Keller likely had to call off thr dogs a bit to make sure we had guys at the end. That,combined with a sudden extended cold streak, and a stare down tech that apparently only goes one direction put us down against a good team.

If I could critique one thing about Keller, it would be for him to perfect Underwood's "about to go nuclear" look when we're getting bad calls. Keller has a disappointed dad look, which, while amusing, just doesnt work as well on the refs. With Underwood, I think the refs secretly feared his head might explode & send shrapnel all over the building.
MasterAxe
Personal opinion on the game, which I'm sure will be directly in line with everyone else,

Good:

We obviously game-planned better than them. We came out and were clearly prepared more and out-executed them. I give props to the coaches for that.

Shannon Bogues 1st half. Monster.

Turnovers...wait, lack of turnovers. Excellent.

Effort. OMG, we play incredibly hard. Props to coaches for that.

TJ playing with attitude. I may be the only one on here that had zero problem with him getting a tech. I love to see some attitude, that we are not just some team that can be pushed around and won't fight back.

Bad:

As prepared as we looked for the 1st half, we looked lost to start the 2nd. People tell me "players make their own choices," but we looked hapless coming out of the half. I place that on the coaches.

I'm still not sold on Keller and his "in game" ability to make adjustments.

Shannon Bogues 2nd half...not monster.

Kevon Harris...dud. It happens. But, could have REALLY used him, obviously.

Ugly:

While I am incredibly impressed with how we played for 30 minutes, that 10 minute stretch in the 2nd half was as bad of basketball as I've seen in a while.

Fouls. Yikes. I watched the whole game. I counted 8 fouls we committed at the logo. Mercy. There is aggressive and there is stupid. This qualifies as both.

Overall:

Probably between a B+ and A-

Hell of an effort. The 1st half is the SFA team that will dominate the conference.

However, we (i hate the word choked) gave that one away. We had a chance and couldn't close. So for that, I am disappointed in the outcome.

MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

If I could critique one thing about Keller, it would be for him to perfect Underwood's "about to go nuclear" look when we're getting bad calls. Keller has a disappointed dad look, which, while amusing, just doesnt work as well on the refs. With Underwood, I think the refs secretly feared his head might explode & send shrapnel all over the building.
This may be the single best paragraph in the history of the SAWMILL.

A+ post.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

After the first half fouls being so one sided, Keller likely had to call off thr dogs a bit to make sure we had guys at the end.
Good observation. We didn't see the "in your face" defense and double teams on their guards in the 2nd half that we saw in the 1st that had gotten us the nice lead. I agree that Keller must have told them to back off to lessen the number of fouls.
cboothe09
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

I'm not disappointed with the coaching tonight. We had two things go against us. After the first half fouls being so one sided, Keller likely had to call off thr dogs a bit to make sure we had guys at the end. That,combined with a sudden extended cold streak, and a stare down tech that apparently only goes one direction put us down against a good team.

Speaking Keller's looks, has anyone noticed that he looks like Walter Matthau's illegitimate son?

Disappointed in the loss, especially after the first half. That said, not upset with the product on the court. Played well for the majority of the night, just a cold streak was too much to overcome. Time to learn from it and move on. Beat the hell out of Florida A&M on Sunday and start a new streak...
Ljacks&Longnecks
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Oops, don't know where the rest of my reply went but basically agree that I want to see Keller get more aggressive working the refs especially like tonight when first half fouls were like 3-1 against us.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Speaking Keller's looks, has anyone noticed that he hooks like Walter Matthau's illegitimate son?

ROFL!! Thanks for the humor. I needed that right about now.
No-look
I believe MSU went 6-6 at the line in the last minute and half. Was hoping they would rim off a couple.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Florida A&M lost to North Dakota State tonight 80-66 to go to 1-5 on the year. NDSU is now 2-2.
BigJack85
That's good with the Walter Matthau thing.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Is there any doubt that Holyfield and Bogues are going to rock the Southland? Those guys can play. I wish I was including Kevon in there as the third in my offensive juggernaut post from this morning. Kevon was the one I would have considered the lock going into this game. Maybe they focused on him in the first half? I haven't watched it yet, but for sure in the second, he just didn't have it. That sleeping giant must awaken. If he does, then bring on Mizzou.

We took 24 shots more than they did while being out rebounded by 4! Obviously a lot of bad shots, but that possession swing is huge. Tick our shot selection up a bit and we'll be fearsome. Again 24 more shots than a SEC team.

12 Turnovers to 19. Now 6 of those were in those 10 minutes of death for us. But still, props to our team for taking care of the ball. Those tall guys were ridiculous. I saw Ado play in that Green Bay game and thankfully he did not look as good tonight, but Holman made up for him. How they played so "clean" is impressive. I thought Kevon would have done more damage to them.

Props to Ivan. I've dogged on him, but when his team needed him, he delivered.

All in all, I'm impressed. My hype post almost came true. The team was good enough to make it come true. If their belief didn't crystallize tonight, then it sure hardened up. This team is good. Not complete yet, but they're coming. Get ready for a fun year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RedRiverLa
It's all in fun Master! Props to Canete coming through in our he clutch with 3s and shots. Wish he would
Have kept himself in the game.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Props to Ivan. I've dogged on him, but when his team needed him, he delivered.

Yeah. This game should pick up his confidence in his shot by 500%. On Sunday we'll see if it was a coming out party for him or just a one night stand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.