SFA / St. Edwards

28,082 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This game is just too wide open. It's fun to watch, but second half, I would really like to see some attempt at some shutdown defense against a pretty great shooting team.
MasterAxe
I think I just saw the worst 90 seconds of basketball I've ever seen. 3 consecutive turnovers, twice not past half court and SEU cuts lead to 3.

Not ideal
PurpleOut
Staff
We're letting them make this a game. Awful turnovers.

I'm just speechless in regards to Grujic. He just front faced the guy trying to box out. Made 0 attempt to get the actual rebound and they obviously easily got the board and easy put back. Not sure I've ever seen that.
sfa17
no 3 pointer yet
nacluth
I really like the lineup with Canete, Kevon, Bogues, TJ, and Gilmore. Now Isaac is right. That's a team of ballers.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

no 3 pointer yet

Probably won't take many until they start loading the paint more. Too easy for us to get the ball down low.
SFAXE93
Bogues with the sweet pass to Gilmore for the easy lay up
PurpleOut
Staff
Ivan isn't fouling, but he's playing just as bad.
sfa17
looks like he is continuing his form from last season.
MasterAxe
Isaac is right, we are athletic...BUT:

12 turnovers
13 fouls
Zero 3's made
Took the "last shot" of the 1st half with 9 seconds left.

Still seem to be lacking in some basic fundamentals.

But, Kevon Harris is my new SFA spirit animal. I love him.
cboothe09
Ivan looks like he is trying to draw fouls, which isn't bad, but he also stops playing when he feels he was/should have been fouled. He spends a lot of time pleading his case to the ref...
PurpleOut
Staff
NWST is down 42-8 to SMU early in the 2nd.
sfa17
nwst fighting hard for worst team in the country
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

NWST is down 42-8 to SMU early in the 2nd.

When they get Jalen back, I'm not even sure how much he can help. They are BAD. They need the 2014 version to make them relevant...
djsfw57
Though it's very early, I already see some nice improvement. Bogues is really impressive. And Kevon Harris is playing like an animal out there. I'm excited to see how much they improve once they really gel.
sfa17
canete commits the same charging fouls every single game
nacluth
Bogues is even more impressive this game than last. He's that shooter we've been needing. He can just flat out make buckets. Harris can draw fouls. Canete can keep flopping.
nacluth
We're terrible at those inlet passes. I think we've connected on two this year on about 20 attempts.
ljax1979
Holy smokes...we are going to lead Division I in turnovers again this season!
PurpleOut
Staff
Shannon can get to the hoop at will. Want to see him knock down some more jumpers.
nacluth
In his few minutes so far, Fisher looks decent. Moves well and gets into position which is what I want from a freshman. He's going to start getting minutes.
fortWorthJack
Ivan is still playing sloppy and making poor decisions, very concerning to say the least. The floor spacing is abysmal. Ball movement is pedestrian, and we are still trying to lob it over the middle from the top of the key. That pass isn't working cause we aren't moving the ball and shifting the defense, please stop. Oh and we still can't shoot.
nacluth
Keller started playing for tomorrow night with his rotations about 10 minutes ago. He's already marked this game as a win. Trading minutes.
fortWorthJack
best pass of the game by a freshmen, Fisher.
MasterAxe
Tell you what, the final won't be indicative of how well they played, but St. Edwards has a good ball club.

I figure they will make noise in whatever conference they play in.
sfa17
fisher just = what jovan has done in 3 years. In 5 minutes of play
sfa17
same 4 guys as game against longwood showing up
kevon, tj, bogues , augustine
nacluth
St Edwards was picked 7th of 9 teams in their D2 conference. I would think that has to be low.
INiedrauer
Staff
Rough but that was to be expected early. They've had more practice time with some of these rotations between this game and Longwood than all off-season. We'll see.

Keller audio up later.
nacluth
2 for 2 dub/dubs Kevon. Eat em up!
Txjack
Hope we carry about the last 6 minutes of this game over to tomorrow night...and pick up where we left off, nice finish tonight.
nacluth
Fisher led the team in assists...just saying.
SFAXE93
They play in the Heartland Conference

sfa17
slow start but good finish.Really impressed with Augustine and Harris improvement from last season Bogues is a beast. Need to begin a #startBogues campaign. Tj solid as always. Sammy had a much better game than longwood. We need to stop the turnovers and improve from the 3 point line.

Starting 5 :Augustine, bogues, kevon, Gilmore, TJ
nacluth
sfa17 said:

Starting 5 :Augustine, bogues, kevon, Gilmore, TJ

For it. We were caught flat footed by that super strong start by St Ed's which led to some pandemonium and sloppy play. Second half looked better when the guys started having some fun with the game. This team is going to be good. Don't know if we'll take down an SEC team, but we should be competitive. This team is obviously headed for a great year next year, but we should have some high hopes this year.

Improvement needed: careless turnovers; terrible inlet passes; quick shot 3's.

They said Ty will be back on the 28th. Seems quick. Best part of the night was announcer calling their top player Ryan Gosling.

Ed/anyone else who was there, tell us what the in person experience was like for those of us who can't wait until tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.