SFA / St. Edwards

27,720 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (1-0) vs. St. Edwards (3-0)

(WED) NOV. 15; 7:00 P.M. NAC WRJ.
TV: ESPN3

So against Longwood we started

G: #0 Aaron Augustin 5-11; 185 (So.) PTS:8;REB:5;AST:8;STL:4;BLK:1 (32 Min.)
G: #11 Ivan Canete 6-4; 190 (Sr.) REB:1 (11 Min.)
F: #1 Kevon Harris 6-6; 225 (So.) PTS:23;REB:12;AST:1;STL:1 (33 Min.)
F: #24 Samuli Nieminen 6-7; 215 (So.) PTS:1;STL:1 (13 Min.)
F: #22 T.J. Holyfield 6-8; 220 (Jr.) PTS:18;REB:7;BLK:2;STL:4 (27 Min.)

Off the bench

G: #10 John Comeaux 5-11; 185 (So.) PTS:1;REB:2;STL:1 (21 Min.)
G: #5 Shannon Bogues 6-2; 185 (Jr.) PTS:15;REB:5;STL:1 (23 Min.)
F: #3 Leon Gilmore III 6-7; 215 (Sr.) PTS:7;REB:6;BLK:1 (23 Min.)
F: #12 Stefon Fisher 6-9; 235 (Fr.) (2 Min.)
C: #32 Jovan Grujic 7-0; 230 (Jr.) PTS:2;REB:3;STL:1 (17 Min.)

Do you change it up?

SFAXE93
St. Edwards has a very young team with 5 FR. 5 SO. 3 JR. and 1 SR.

Only four of their players are 6-7 or above with the tallest being 6-8.

Defeated
Colorado Mesa 100-92 (OT)
Colorado Christian 91-78

Lost to Texas State in an exhibition game 64-76

SFA gets the next 7 out of 9 games in NAC.
PurpleOut
Staff
No problem changing the lineup this early, against St. Edwards.

Depends on what Keller wants to see overall. Do we want a bigger lineup or a quicker lineup? We know what works in this league, but I think Keller would love to have a bigger inside presence. Won't be surprised with the same lineup, but I'd have Gilmore start over Sammy. Shannon first off the bench.
SFA Jack Fanatic
After the terrible game by Ivan and a slightly less bad game by Sammy, I'd replace both of them with Bogues and Gilmore. Bogues looked like he belongs on the court as much as possible this year -- very impressive first game. And I'd like to see more minutes from Fisher (and fewer from Gru), just to see what the big young man brings to the table.

(Very happy to say that I'll be in WRJ for all three games this week! Living so far away, I haven't been able to get to Nac for an extended period of time in a long, long, while!)
nacluth
I don't know, maybe it just looked different to me, but my initial gut feeling watching Bogues was that he is a great individual talent, but that his scoring plays were not team based. That's just how Geffard played when he first got here...and Gilmore a little too. A stud, but not a student of the system. To me, those guys epitomize bench players. We need them desperately, but your starters dictate the play through strong teamwork; the bench energizes when the system lulls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Bogues in a box. He killed it in his minutes, but I'm not going to be surprised if he keeps his bench status for a while.

Also, I think Niemenin is our 5. He sucked for the most part yesterday, but I think he's probably got the biggest upside of Grujic and Fisher now. They want to keep TJ from taking all the inside heat. TJ and Kevon I believe are locks for 3/4 positions. That means Augustin is the sure 1, and the only debatable spot is 2. Canete or Bogues, but as I said above I think Bogues off the bench. That leaves us with the same starting lineup...I would love to hear where yall see it different.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
nacluth said:

JI don't know, maybe it just looked different to me, but my initial gut feeling watching Bogues was that he is a great individual talent, but that his scoring plays were not team based. That's just how Geffard played when he first got here...and Gilmore a little too. A stud, but not a student of the system. To me, those guys epitomize bench players. We need them desperately, but your starters dictate the play through strong teamwork; the bench energizes when the system lulls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Bogues in a box. He killed it in his minutes, but I'm not going to be surprised if he keeps his bench status for a while.

Also, I think Niemenin is our 5. He sucked for the most part yesterday, but I think he's probably got the biggest upside of Grujic and Fisher now. They want to keep TJ from taking all the inside heat. TJ and Kevon I believe are locks for 3/4 positions. That means Augustin is the sure 1, and the only debatable spot is 2. Canete or Bogues, but as I said above I think Bogues off the bench. That leaves us with the same starting lineup...I would love to hear where yall see it different.
Hard to tell by just one game and that being the first. Maybe after three games or so we can get a better accesment. One concern I have is pg depth. Aaron is legit and Comeoux is learning. Who else do we have that could contribute to the pg position?
nacluth
My guess is Comeaux is the backup for now with Bogues/Canete teaming up to take the slack.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
Samuli didn't have a great game but I am going give him some time. Bc we need Tj playing the 4. The way he shoots from the 3 point line is needed. He was a Pf high school. We have a view games to figure out what the starting line up will. As for Pg, i think will be Augustine , comeaux and maybe sometimes Ivan. I'm just glad basketball is back
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Also, I think Niemenin is our 5. He sucked for the most part yesterday, but I think he's probably got the biggest upside of Grujic and Fisher now.
Sammy did suck, but I'm wondering if wearing that mask had something to do with it. He missed a couple of point-blank shots. That's just not him. He's normally one of the smoothest big men we've had around the basket in recent years. I'm still wondering what the mask is all about. A broken nose during practice perhaps? Anyone know?

As to Comeaux, I guess I must have been napping when he was in. I didn't see much from him. What did I miss?
nacluth
Agreed Ed. I'm super high on Samuli overall. I'm thinking the mask had an impact too.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm watching the Kentucky vs. Vermont game, and the announcer (surprisingly) actually made a comment that makes a lot of sense and that resonated with me. He said that an older, more mature Vermont team is constantly communicating with each other every trip down the court, while a very young UK team isn't talking to each other at all. That's a profound lesson that I hope our Jacks can learn very quickly this year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Damn Ed I'm jealous that you will catch all 3 wins this week. The best part for the team is that they will get 3 games to work together and work out any kinks and develop more chemistry as a unit. That's what we ought to be studying as fans with this upcoming threesome...errr 3 game set....how the team molds together before the D1 teams come along.
INiedrauer
Staff
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Damn Ed I'm jealous that you will catch all 3 wins this week. The best part for the team is that they will get 3 games to work together and work out any kinks and develop more chemistry as a unit. That's what we ought to be studying as fans with this upcoming threesome...errr 3 game set....how the team molds together before the D1 teams come along.

We've long mocked SHSU for their weak non-conference schedule and win padding but I'm not complaining in the least that we have this stretch of non-DI teams early BEFORE we have the tougher tests later in the non-con season. We need these opportunities to get better and gel after the limited offseason practice time.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Exactly! An opportunity to gel and get a few wins under their belts to boost confidence before heading to Starkville to face the Bulldogs and their cowbell crazies.
MasterAxe
OMG...

LeTourneau best NW State.

Bad.

INiedrauer
Staff
MasterAxe said:

OMG...

Bad.

Who was the genius who tweeted this?

-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
Yea, that didn't age very well did it?
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

OMG...

Bad.

Wow! Wonder if LeTourneau is that good or NSU is that bad. I'm guessing a little of both. Our game with LeTourneau may be a better test than expected.

Noticed that Jalen West did not play. LeTourneau's own West, Nate West, had 32 points, including four 3's.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good wake up call for us....take no opponent lightly. Sure Keller and staff will point that out to the guys.
No-look
Wonder what's up with Jalen West not playing?
INiedrauer
Staff
No-look said:

Wonder what's up with Jalen West not playing?
Self reported violation. Suspended first three games I believe. No details but it may have something to do with conditions of his reinstatement.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
LeTourneau must be feeling pretty confident about playing SFA.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

LeTourneau must be feeling pretty confident about playing SFA.

I assume the big green guy was SFA, right?
SFAXE93
Yes
Txjack
Letourneau has their next game listed on their website as "Austin College"...isn't that bulletin board material.
corleycl
Where is Cam Mack?
corleycl
I obviously missed out on the Longwood thread....I see where he's missing from the roster now. Damn....
PurpleOut
Staff
Txjack said:

Letourneau has their next game listed on their website as "Austin College"...isn't that bulletin board material.
Because they actually play Austin College first.
INiedrauer
Staff
Deserves its own thread but I don't want to make a bigger deal out of it than necessary yet: Keller said this morning that the door is closed on Cameron Mack. He will transfer in December and sit out a year.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
Sad to hear for the Jacks, but best wishes to him wherever he ends up.
CottonValleyJack
INiedrauer said:

Deserves its own thread but I don't want to make a bigger deal out of it than necessary yet: Keller said this morning that the door is closed on Cameron Mack. He will transfer in December and sit out a year.

The highliest touted player in our freshman class leaves before playing a game? That seems like a big deal (catastrophe) to me. What happened?
PurpleOut
Staff
That sucks, I'm sure there's a lot to each side of the story. And maybe it was mutual, but just seems odd to want to transfer before the season basicslly starts, after everything you just went through this summer to get here. Whatever, disappointing.

Let's destroy some teams this week.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

That sucks, I'm sure there's a lot to each side of the story. And maybe it was mutual, but just seems odd to want to transfer before the season basicslly starts, after everything you just went through this summer to get here. Whatever, disappointing.

Let's destroy some teams this week.
Something seems to have definitely gone drastically wrong the past week or two. Up until we heard he was off the roster, Cam, his fam, & SFA were all sharing pro-SFA, Cam Mack & SFA related season starting excitement on social media. Real bummer to lose such a talented kid.

Oh well, Augustin is looking good, and if we make it to the big dance, we'll be able to keep recruiting at a high level.
Txjack
PurpleOut said:

Txjack said:

Because they actually play Austin College first.

Doh!! Geez, did not catch that........
sfa17

onward and upward
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.